• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

MLGF

Smash Lord
I mean, how could someone like this ever be considered viable?

OK, but really, DDD is really good and seems to be a hard counter to a lot of higher up characters, so I think he's going to pick up steam soon.

Foo

Smash Lord
I think MK is a fairly average character. He has some great strengths, but he also has some pretty severe weaknesses. He has a lot of trouble killing, dies really early being the second lightest character and a fast faller, weak to cc, has meh throws, and he has a really bad wavedash oos with only an awkward dash attack to clank projectiles meaning he gets wrecked by them hard. That being said, he has a stellar combo game, great speed, lots of options, and a good recovery (side b is really hard to beat out and reverse up-b isn't easy to see coming.)

He's definitely a good character overall, but it seems like a bad idea to solo main him. With characteristics that polarized seems like he'd have a lot of bad matchups.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
DDD hard counters nobody and gets hard countered by at least 4 mid/high tiers. 65-35 or worse

He's only going to stay where he is which is like mid tier, or go down as people realize how to beat his neutral game

Last edited:

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
its worse because nair shine nair again is a guaranteed shield poke

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
MK is literally nothing like Puff, lol, they play neutral completely differently. Puff weaves through the air with her godlike aerial mobility, and MK's aerial mobility is way worse than hers. MK's movement is all ground based, and even without divekick/down b jump refresh bug he's still one of the most mobile characters in the game, given that his ground speed and DD are godlike. Roy/Marth/Sheik and to a lesser extent Fox are much better analogues for MK.

Last edited:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
MK is like Fox, Sheik, and Falcon rolled up into one. No other comparison is needed

Foo

Smash Lord
Can we stop saying that every fast brawl non melee high tier character is some combination of sheik and falcon?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

real talk it seems like theres a lot of hybrid esque chars

wolf = fox + CF for example

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Wolf's throws are much more sheik-esque tho
He's foxfalconsheik
Ike is marthfalcon
ZSS is falconsheikmarth
MK is marthsheik+jumps
Zard is sheikmarth+jumps

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
I always thought Ike was Marth/Ganon, seems a bit too slow to be Marth/Falcon (in terms of dash and run speed anyway)

jtm94

Smash Lord
Close enough, but I think Ike is Falcon/Roy. It's just the way his things go together as he flies through the air. He can't be Marth because spacing.

Characters are characters, not like who they play similar to has any bearing on their overall goodness.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Close enough, but I think Ike is Falcon/Roy. It's just the way his things go together as he flies through the air. He can't be Marth because spacing.

Characters are characters, not like who they play similar to has any bearing on their overall goodness.
Roy is Marth/Ike, have you not seen his bair

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Idk about Odds, but I think IC's is bowsers worst match-up by far.

nimigoha

Smash Ace
Blizzard and Ice Block, easiest handoffs ever, several different chain grabs, huge WD>grab range, big target for super secret special kill move. It doesn't look that great.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
so now that NWM happened, and thus a dude got second basically because he knew to counterpick bowser, I want to make a statement I've always believed more blatant:

if you don't know at least two characters in this game for tournaments, you're a worse player for it

there's a lot of matchups in this game. this isn't melee, where you only need to pay attention to the top 8 and everyone else is bad enough to where you can just adapt on the fly, this is a game where even fox, the dude that's #1 on nearly every top players' tier list, has losing matchups to rando characters like DDD. turns out, when there's forty-one characters (and counting!) in the game, one of them's bound to have a specific skill that screws your character over.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I love odds and players like him... but man, this is not that kind of game that lets you specialize. you play someone as polarizing as bowser without any secondaries, I don't know how to not blame you when that inevitably bites you in the backside

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
so now that NWM happened, and thus a dude got second basically because he knew to counterpick bowser, I want to make a statement I've always believed more blatant:

if you don't know at least two characters in this game for tournaments, you're a worse player for it

there's a lot of matchups in this game. this isn't melee, where you only need to pay attention to the top 8 and everyone else is bad enough to where you can just adapt on the fly, this is a game where even fox, the dude that's #1 on nearly every top players' tier list, has losing matchups to rando characters like DDD. turns out, when there's forty-one characters (and counting!) in the game, one of them's bound to have a specific skill that screws your character over.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I love odds and players like him... but man, this is not that kind of game that lets you specialize. you play someone as polarizing as bowser without any secondaries, I don't know how to not blame you when that inevitably bites you in the backside
I don't 100% disagree, but I do think I depends on the character you main. Yeah bowser probably needs a secondary because some mus are unplayable. But for the most part most characters don't need to switch off for their bad MU's because they are manageable (except I think a good number shouldn't even try to fight fox).

nimigoha

Smash Ace
I think it will be cool when the characters are developed enough to make a reliable matchup chart and you can see characters that cover each others weak spots. And then people start maining sets of characters to have a near-perfect matchup spread and counter picking gets very in-depth.

Although to be honest right now it looks like a pairing of "___ + Fox" covers matchups pretty well, simply because Fox covers matchups very well. Who covers Fox's bad matchups the best at the moment?

jtm94

Smash Lord
I think there are a few characters who are susceptible to CPs.
I don't think GnW or Zelda(even more so) can have a lot of success without a secondary to cover Marth/Roy/Link. You can try to be a big man and tough it out, but it's a poor choice if you want to win.
The best candidates for being able to do well against a variety of characters are those with solid movement so you can just camp out your opponents and punish if the MU seems bad.

I think Fox covers Fox's bad MUs very well at the moment.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I should probably put more effort towards finding a secondary then just "lol friendlies", since I live in a region with a lot of Spacies (mostly Fox and Falco, but Wolf is also played some as well) and a **** ton of Falcon, there are also a lot of Marth's but at least the MU is more bearable overall, and that makes maining Tink rough and a major up-hill battle a lot of the time. But I just can't decide on a secondary, I just keep jumping between flavors of the month really. :L

Life

Smash Hero
I think the relevant question is "what characters are the best at winning tournaments," which, when you get down to it, is what a tier list is all about, nay?

What characters have won a reasonably large PM tournament so far?

Narpas_sword

I've gone through a handful of secondaries,. my problem is that id rather just play samus in all my matchups.

I have the Standard Samus trouble vs LoZ and FireEmblem, and Falcon, but no one secondary ive played seems to cope with those well.

And i cant commit to learning a spacie, I'm just not fast enough (and light + FF is way too different from Samus Heavy+Floaty for me to cope)

I've tried Toon Link, GaW, Snake, Ness, Falcon, Wolf.

eideeiit

Smash Ace
I've gone through a handful of secondaries,. my problem is that id rather just play samus in all my matchups.

I have the Standard Samus trouble vs LoZ and FireEmblem, and Falcon, but no one secondary ive played seems to cope with those well.

And i cant commit to learning a spacie, I'm just not fast enough (and light + FF is way too different from Samus Heavy+Floaty for me to cope)

Dedede? Maybe even Roy, Diddy or Luigi? Just tossing.

Also tfw someone mentions "flavor of the month" on secondaries and for you it's pretty much "flavor of the week" on mains.

I'll never quit sucking if this keeps up.

Last edited:

Chevy

Smash Ace

I think what's most important is someone to kill the robot. Or maybe we can just delete R.O.B. from the game and everyone will be happier.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Also tfw someone mentions "flavor of the month" on secondaries and for you it's pretty much "flavor of the week" on mains.

I'll never quit sucking if this keeps up.
I use to do that in 3.02 (where I started with in P:M) and stayed that way until 3.5 came out and Tink finally just clicked perfectly.

Player -0

Smash Hero

@Odds_ Has mentioned he's thinking about picking up Olimar or Pit or some dude.

Top Bottom