• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
I prefer the slash but I also read a suggestion to make them kind of like kirbys new up b where you can change how it acts somewhat. If you hold sideways while doing it he goes into stab animation. That'd be nice though I don't know the specifics on how balanced or good it would be.
The problem here is that the timing would conflict with b-reverse or turnaround-b, in all likelihood. All the other moves (as far as I know) that have directional changes possible have some substantial kind of delay where the animation makes sense in the transition. Falcon punch, for example, has a huge wind up. Kirby's up b has a little startup where he's just pulling out the sword, and doesn't conflict with b-reverse/turnaround-b because it stalls out horizontal momentum, so b-reverse isn't needed and only turnaround-b is needed for full flexibility in use. And so on and so forth.

I think that it's doable on a technical level, but I don't think there's any good reason to do it. The windups for a stab vs an overhead slash are pretty different, so I doubt it would look good aesthetically either.

The Baron

Smash Apprentice
The problem here is that the timing would conflict with b-reverse or turnaround-b, in all likelihood. All the other moves (as far as I know) that have directional changes possible have some substantial kind of delay where the animation makes sense in the transition. Falcon punch, for example, has a huge wind up. Kirby's up b has a little startup where he's just pulling out the sword, and doesn't conflict with b-reverse/turnaround-b because it stalls out horizontal momentum, so b-reverse isn't needed and only turnaround-b is needed for full flexibility in use. And so on and so forth.

I think that it's doable on a technical level, but I don't think there's any good reason to do it. The windups for a stab vs an overhead slash are pretty different, so I doubt it would look good aesthetically either.
fair point and as you pointed out it doesn't seem that useful so it really isn't a big deal I guess and I can't think of any substantial way it'll help his match ups so I guess there's no reason to sweat over it.

Sit at edge of Zelda's range, D-Tilt. Get grab? Up-Throw -> Juggle.

Behold Zelda.
See, now I feel dumb because it probably is that easy.

The Baron

Smash Apprentice
It's actually pretty much Marth's gameplan 99% of the time. Kinda dumb when you think about it.
But my dairs and my intense, overly aggressive dash dancing and muh sweet sweet forward smash. Is all of it just fluff and filler compared to the main course of d-tilts, grabs and up airs?

Player -0

Smash Hero
But my dairs and my intense, overly aggressive dash dancing and muh sweet sweet forward smash. Is all of it just fluff and filler compared to the main course of d-tilts, grabs and up airs?
Go to a tournament and play the most stiff/optimal Marth. No one wants to see your smooth jazz. Was going to link a video of stiff Fox but I can't find it.

Edit -
Trust me, you don't want to predictably throw out ground pokes against a character with ranged and incredibly strong SH aerials.
You shouldn't be getting caught out by Zelda kicks while Marth derping in neutral.

Last edited:

WhiteCrow

Smash Journeyman
I am horribly offended that a god damn PMDT member needs explaining that, in a game where we obsess over control so much that we will remove all variants of non-control in the rules, a move who's frame data depends entirely on what SD card you're using is lazy design
Is it worth noting that Ryoko isn't on the PMDT anymore? He's defending her past design and really isn't in control of where she goes now (though he may have more influence than I'd think). You might be better off giving this spiel to @Magus420 or @Strong Bad. I'd be fine with down-special changing into something more usable but I have no idea what that move would be, and I'm sure the PMDT has been in this same situation for a long time. I also am not a Shielda main so my opinion should probably carry less weight in regards to transform.

Zelda has some of the best baby mode combos around.
Y'all need that on a t-shirt so you're easier to spot in a crowd, that is tooo funny. :secretkpop:

Anyhow, glad to see this discussion is so welcoming of Zelda mains. Thanks for the tag @ Downdraft Downdraft .
I don't really know where the conversation is with Zelda right now, whether it's on her defensive play style, the ongoing debate of changing her down special, or whether she's hella broken or super under-powered, so I'm just going to give my thoughts on the character as of 3.5.

I really like this iteration of Zelda and I have mained her since 2.6b. Every time there has been a patch that's changed her I have tried to be an advocate for not over reacting. I agree that some Zelda mains take her patches very personally but I think that their opinions should not be immediately dismissed. Some of the changes that were made in 3.0 were directly made based on Zhime's success at Pound V.5, I'd probably take it personally too.

As far as the tier list is concerned, I think that Zelda is in the upper half of the list but far from top 5 material. She is a largely unexplored character so it's hard to share information and develop her tech. There isn't any footage of edge canceled teleporting or orbiting Din's Fire unless we post it, and few people are posting. On paper she is a defensive juggernaut but in practice she struggles against faster characters with much more developed meta-games. There was a time when people didn't know how to wave shine>up smash (Fox) or how to forward throw chain grab> forward smash (Marth) or down throw/down air> knee (Falcon), all character she can struggle against. It's important not to jump to conclusions with tier lists when the meta of Project M 3.5 is so young, especially in regards to an under-represented character like Zelda.

Boiko

:drshrug:
Is it worth noting that Ryoko isn't on the PMDT anymore? He's defending her past design and really isn't in control of where she goes now (though he may have more influence than I'd think). You might be better off giving this spiel to @Magus420 or @Strong Bad. I'd be fine with down-special changing into something more usable but I have no idea what that move would be, and I'm sure the PMDT has been in this same situation for a long time. I also am not a Shielda main so my opinion should probably carry less weight in regards to transform.
Ryoku is the one who chimed in to defend transform. It's my understanding that he generally took liberties with Zelda's design and delineated from others in the PMDT, and maybe that's why he feels the need to defend it as adamantly as he is. That's really all conjecture though, and if he wants to defend his design, that's fine by me. But if he's just doing it because he had the largest hand in developing it, that's not good.
Y'all need that on a t-shirt so you're easier to spot in a crowd, that is tooo funny. :secretkpop:
I mean, really, it's true. Her combos are pretty basic when she gets something going. I feel like the degree of thought involved is as minimal as the commitment. Like, you hit a fast faller with an up smash, what now? How about up smash again!

Anyhow, glad to see this discussion is so welcoming of Zelda mains. Thanks for the tag @ Downdraft Downdraft . I don't really know where the conversation is with Zelda right now, whether it's on her defensive play style, the ongoing debate of changing her down special, or whether she's hella broken or super under-powered, so I'm just going to give my thoughts on the character as of 3.5.
I really like this iteration of Zelda and I have mained her since 2.6b. Every time there has been a patch that's changed her I have tried to be an advocate for not over reacting. I agree that some Zelda mains take her patches very personally but I think that their opinions should not be immediately dismissed. Some of the changes that were made in 3.0 were directly made based on Zhime's success at Pound V.5, I'd probably take it personally too.

As far as the tier list is concerned, I think that Zelda is in the upper half of the list but far from top 5 material. She is a largely unexplored character so it's hard to share information and develop her tech. There isn't any footage of edge canceled teleporting or orbiting Din's Fire unless we post it, and few people are posting. On paper she is a defensive juggernaut but in practice she struggles against faster characters with much more developed meta-games. There was a time when people didn't know how to wave shine>up smash (Fox) or how to forward throw chain grab> forward smash (Marth) or down throw/down air> knee (Falcon), all character she can struggle against. It's important not to jump to conclusions with tier lists when the meta of Project M 3.5 is so young, especially in regards to an under-represented character like Zelda.
I don't think anyone is calling her overpowered, and if they are, lol. I basically agree with this. Upper half, not top five. I think she has a lot of good match ups in the upper half, but some seriously bad ones at the top tier level. Orbiting Din's seems buggy to me. It just seems that Din's has a hard time mapping itself back to the character. I'm hoping in the next patch it takes a much more linear route. An ambiguous fireball floating around is just...silly.

And just one quick point forward throw chain grab into fsmash with Marth doesn't work if you just DI down and away..

Edit: Idk why it's separating that last thought into a second quote, but nothing seems to fix it.

Last edited:

Player -0

Smash Hero
For some characters like Ivy they can't DI out of the F-Throw CG until much later percents, where F-Smash is guaranteed and will pretty much kill. Not 100% sure about Zelda's ability to DI out of it but I think it's difficult. Then again if Marth messes up then Fair lol.

Chevy

Smash Ace

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
Agreed. Not everyone just abuses melee smarts. Axe is another example of a great melee player who also regularly plays PM. He even uses QAC a lot.

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman
Only if you're bad.
lol, care to actually elaborate? This is getting kind of inane.
Predictably using dtilt is pretty much in the territory of being bad, so I'm not sure I get what you're saying. Is there some way you think that a good player can make up for bad decision making? Do you think dtilt covers every single option Zelda has, given that it marginally outranges the kicks? How much of this is assumption and how much is from experience or understanding?

Last edited:

WhiteCrow

Smash Journeyman
I mean, really, it's true. Her combos are pretty basic when she gets something going. I feel like the degree of thought involved is as minimal as the commitment. Like, you hit a fast faller with an up smash, what now? How about up smash again!

Orbiting Din's seems buggy to me. It just seems that Din's has a hard time mapping itself back to the character. I'm hoping in the next patch it takes a much more linear route. An ambiguous fireball floating around is just...silly.

And just one quick point forward throw chain grab into fsmash with Marth doesn't work if you just DI down and away..
Up-smash>up smash works with Fox vs Fox but no one complains about it there. You also aren't factoring in an opponent actively SDIing down and out of up smash, crouch cancelling the first hits to escape, falling out because they play a small character, or SDIing+DIing up and out to make the follow up harder. The amount of time we have to spend tech chasing goes up exponentially against more experienced players because that's all we get when people actually learn to DI. Y'all orgasm over stomp>knee all day so I don't see why you think Zelda's combos are that basic. I'd love to see you attempt angled f-tilt/jab/up-tilt combos against a competent Fox. Sure feels like "baby" effort combpared to Fox's up b>up air or up air>up air.

I think orbiting Din's are one of the best things for Zelda. She could use some advanced technology outside of Nayru's Love, especially since the removed Love Jumping and Diamond Diving which we'd only just discovered. Any suggestions on what it should do instead?

First two grabs are guaranteed with JC grab against Zelda, and the f-smash is off a DI mixup. He can also down throw>pivot tipper.

Player -0

Smash Hero
lol, care to actually elaborate? This is getting kind of inane.
Predictably using dtilt is pretty much in the territory of being bad, so I'm not sure I get what you're saying. Is there some way you think that a good player can make up for bad decision making? Do you think dtilt covers every single option Zelda has, given that it marginally outranges the kicks? How much of this is assumption and how much is from experience or understanding?
It covers every option.

On the serious note you can use D-Tilt predictably if you do it smartly.

If Zelda's grab was a tad bit faster, hng. Just a couple of small things would help a lot.

steelguttey

mei is bei
you all laughed at me for playing olimar

look who is laughing now

i guarentee he will be top 15 in 3.6

Boiko

Up-smash>up smash works with Fox vs Fox but no one complains about it there. You also aren't factoring in an opponent actively SDIing down and out of up smash, crouch cancelling the first hits to escape, falling out because they play a small character, or SDIing+DIing up and out to make the follow up harder. The amount of time we have to spend tech chasing goes up exponentially against more experienced players because that's all we get when people actually learn to DI. Y'all orgasm over stomp>knee all day so I don't see why you think Zelda's combos are that basic. I'd love to see you attempt angled f-tilt/jab/up-tilt combos against a competent Fox. Sure feels like "baby" effort combpared to Fox's up b>up air or up air>up air.

I think orbiting Din's are one of the best things for Zelda. She could use some advanced technology outside of Nayru's Love, especially since the removed Love Jumping and Diamond Diving which we'd only just discovered. Any suggestions on what it should do instead?

First two grabs are guaranteed with JC grab against Zelda, and the f-smash is off a DI mixup. He can also down throw>pivot tipper.
Just because one character has it, it doesn't mean that others don't also. That's not what I said. For the record, I play with three competent Zelda players and I know how her mechanics work very well (besides Din's but does anyone really understand that 100 percent?). I picked her up for some friendlies and had no trouble stringing together relatively simple combos using Din's, up smash, grabs, soft kicks, etc. I don't think she's particularly hard to play until you really start incorporating a lot of Din's tech in.

Boiko

Why RNG is fun and makes me like this game more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XnN5-jABh8&list=PLCuC17J0ZVjkGRGGxxHkHRDBhCWNP5fLf&index=20

Played pretty sloppy on the last game, which is where most the magic happens. Whole set was super wacky though.

On Westballz: I don't think it's fair to assume that he was just playing Melee Fox against everyone, especially since he was B-reversing lasers the entire time he was playing.
DOUBLE POST BUT IT NEEDS TO BE SAID, OMG THIS IS AMAZZZZZING. FAR AND AWAY THE GREATEST THING EVER.

WhiteCrow

Smash Journeyman
Just because one character has it, it doesn't mean that others don't also. That's not what I said. For the record, I play with three competent Zelda players and I know how her mechanics work very well (besides Din's but does anyone really understand that 100 percent?). I picked her up for some friendlies and had no trouble stringing together relatively simple combos using Din's, up smash, grabs, soft kicks, etc. I don't think she's particularly hard to play until you really start incorporating a lot of Din's tech in.
Technically, Marth's up smash, M2's up smash, Didd'y up smash, and Metaknight's up smash all combo into themselves if the Fox has no/bad DI at zero percents, which is when Zelda's up smash will chain into itself. Her's isn't that unique. We won't understand Din's unless people keep exploring it. I'm starting to understand them more, debug mode helps a lot.

Congratulations with your friendlies. Let me know how that goes in bracket. We could always use more Zelda representation.

Boiko

Technically, Marth's up smash, M2's up smash, Didd'y up smash, and Metaknight's up smash all combo into themselves if the Fox has no/bad DI at zero percents, which is when Zelda's up smash will chain into itself. Her's isn't that unique. We won't understand Din's unless people keep exploring it. I'm starting to understand them more, debug mode helps a lot.

Congratulations with your friendlies. Let me know how that goes in bracket. We could always use more Zelda representation.
I'm just saying, friendlies or bracket, it's easy to see how well everything she has chains together. Getting the first hit is the hard part, but she can take things real far from that.

Downdraft

Smash Ace
I'm just saying, friendlies or bracket, it's easy to see how well everything she has chains together. Getting the first hit is the hard part, but she can take things real far from that.
The best of Melee and several other characters can take things far after the first hit too. What's your point? If her combo strings are basic to where anyone can master their appropriate use without practice, then there shouldn't be a problem breaking out of those combos either right since they're simplistic and common?

If the opponent knows the proper DI for Zelda's attacks then it eliminates many of her combo starters; f-tilt, d-throw, and f-throw aren't reliable means of starting combos once the opponent knows how to DI them. Land-canceled Nayru's can start things too, but the changes it received in 3.5 reduced the dependability of the attack, e.g. it's more beatable and much riskier to use as an approach tool. Another thing about Nayru's is that the top and the bottom of the diamond do not protect Zelda. If Zelda use's Nayru's above or below you, then that's a free punish.

Zelda is average. While she's popular, there are only two known people representing her at a high level. She has never been pushed to her limits, i.e. explored fully, and she honestly hasn't gotten the chance. Many people would rather complain than take the effort to get better. She is not a problem at a high level and never has been, so why so much antagonism? What level of play does PM cater towards because as far as I know, the negativity largely has originated and sustained from mid-low level play where issues can be addressed by players simply stepping up their game.

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
Just came back from winners finals of aftershock... and I have something to say...

people saying lucario is top tier is probably full of sh*t. IPK tried at least 1.25x as hard as sethlon and still lost the set.

or maybe I just hate roy alot

WhiteCrow

Smash Journeyman
Just came back from winners finals of aftershock... and I have something to say...

people saying lucario is top tier is probably full of sh*t. IPK tried at least 1.25x as hard as sethlon and still lost the set.

or maybe I just hate roy alot
Did you see Sethlon down tilt Axe four times earlier? Or see him d-tilt IPK into a ton of KO moves at all percents? #Balance

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
jeez I really hope this thread doesn't transform into "Roy/Lucario/Diddy is OP" after Aftershock

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
I don't think they're op, I just ask people to examine their knock back and hit boxes when griping about Zelda's. Everyone has bread and butter/free combos.
Personally my gripe with Zelda's up-smash is my same gripe with G&W; The attack(s) last so damn long and seem unpunishable to me (even though I know they're punishable).

also I don't know how to DI up-smash

also din's camera confuses me

also I hate fighting floaties

also I'm a really impatient player. My gripes are 100% salt-based lol

Last edited:

WhiteCrow

Smash Journeyman
Personally my gripe with Zelda's up-smash is my same gripe with G&W; The attack(s) last so damn long and seem unpunishable to me (even though I know they're punishable).

also I don't know how to DI up-smash

also din's camera confuses me

also I hate fighting floaties

also I'm a really impatient player. My gripes are 100% salt-based lol
Yeah I can see that struggle, especially in regards to G&W. Our up smash OoS is super frustrating to players who approach carelessly.

Mix up your DI against up smash based on your percent. At low percents? Hard and away DI to force the Zelda to end the combo with a kick, then DI the kick up. At high percents? DI slightly more in or hard and a way. Make it hard for use to space our aerials while you're still in histun.

And the camera is stupid. It makes me not want to take people to Dream Land...

hype machine

Smash Journeyman
Where do u guys think pikachu stands on the tier list, my friend told me he was high tier, but I think he's mid-low tier

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
Ok, I think I was really mad when I wrote that comment, but still think roy is top/high tier, leaning more towards top. I thought that even before aftershock.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
diddy is honestly "balanced", in the sense that it's rly just that all the great characters in 3.5 play super nice with him and there's no guarantee he'll be all that up to snuff come 3.6, junebug is just an amazing player

destroy misfire barrels tho. yes I know that it's not even remotely RNG anymore but IT'S SO SILLY why is there a barrel just moseying along while someone's trying to keep diddy off the ledge

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
diddy is honestly "balanced", in the sense that it's rly just that all the great characters in 3.5 play super nice with him and there's no guarantee he'll be all that up to snuff come 3.6, junebug is just an amazing player

destroy misfire barrels tho. yes I know that it's not even remotely RNG anymore but IT'S SO SILLY why is there a barrel just moseying along while someone's trying to keep diddy off the ledge
I don't think bananas are balanced for a character that has a command throw, a projectile, and four spectacular regular throws.

also yeah why is rogue barrel even still a thing at all

Last edited:
Top Bottom