• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

D

Deleted member

I just like him because he is a "more consistent marth" to me. He relies on purely knowing fundamentals, over committing gets you ****ed up, but his reward is great and he can actually kill characters at 120 reliably unlike marth. They're both pretty *** offstage, I don't think either one is better or worse in 3.02

Also, "it feels like his moves were designed to always work." What? Isn't that like every single other character thats good in 3.02? He doesn't even get confirmed followups out of his throws, they're DI mixups at later %s.
maybe these two ideas are the same. i would rephrase it as "marth is a less consistent roy", i don't like "every other character that's good in 3.02" because i see them as problematic and that the other 75% of the cast as being well-designed.

LonkQ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ammoro
I really like playing Roy, but maybe his combos are a bit too easy. It feels like he can easily convert off of so many of his moves, even if getting those hits can be a pain at times. It's just that he still has a decent number of weaknesses that don't make him seem as dumb.

D

Deleted member

yeah dont get me wrong hes no mario or anything, but its pretty annoying that i have to respect all of his moves even when a mediocre player is using the character because even when his moves are poorly placed they still work. like if marth or ike or rob or wario or whatever place their moves poorly they get **** on, i dont see why mario and roy are immune to this. again, reiterating that roy is nowhere near as egregious as mario.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Roy top tier now??? Say it ain't so
Nerf his sword so it's a wet noodle again

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Have you ever been hit by a wet pool noodle

Those things hurt like a ****ing *****

Plz give Roy a pool noodle pmbr
you right
He would be more fair then
Also, the sweet spots of his moves should all be at his elbows. Then marth could be as good as him.

D

Deleted member

yeah or maybe in a game where crouching is already too good, maybe i could like crouch a tilt at 30. that would be nice.

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
Wet noodle can also mean pasta. Which is what roy's sword should be, obviously. having less range, more lag, slower dash, shorter wavedash, and smaller grab makes some of his moves being slightly more reliably powerful than marth's completely nonsensical

"dis roy no use same spacing as marf and i still get fckd"

have you tried shielding

"but den he grab me :["

welcome to super smash bros enjoy your stay

D

Deleted member

i mean you can make those points without being a condescending ****. you can disagree amicably. if you want to get nasty with me i can just **** on you in the game.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
we has bad ass over here
he mad
very
such angry
many tears
much mario

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

we has bad *** over here
he mad
very
such angry
many tears
much mario
you too hot ****. thats the good part about being in a scene for a competitive game, you can shut people up by beating the **** out of them in a socially acceptable manner.

D

Deleted member

i have a better idea. let's money match. if you win you get $50 from me. if i win, you sell your disc and quit. i'll even let you keep the money. deal?

god forbid i even suggest that roy isn't perfect without a ****storm.

Last edited by a moderator:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
If you actually quit, you have to say it with a microphone while/after being put into a brutal submission. Otherwise it doesn't count

Last edited:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
ayyyyy lmao

we even got a money match threat because someone thought you were whining, that's some peak scrub action

roy is a worse marth that can kind of combo, not much else. the only reason people even acknowledge him is b/c of sethlon and that's on sethlon's goodness more than it is on roy's strengths

mimgrim

Smash Hero
yeah dont get me wrong hes no mario or anything, but its pretty annoying that i have to respect all of his moves even when a mediocre player is using the character because even when his moves are poorly placed they still work. like if marth or ike or rob or wario or whatever place their moves poorly they get **** on, i dont see why mario and roy are immune to this. again, reiterating that roy is nowhere near as egregious as mario.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that kinda the point of Roy? For every clear-cut strength doesn't he have a clear-cut weakness? Good onstage game but bad offstage game. Fantastic combo game but extremely susceptible to combos himself.

I've always looked at Roy as a kinda of semi-spacie in terms of function, but with a disjoint instead of a shine and lack of a projectile, in that he kinda has the same basics principals of good onstage game but bad offstage and really good combos but gets combo'd hard himself but lacking the things that makes the spacies spacies, his neutral game good but not anywhere near spacie level good and doesn't have as good defensive options as one.

It kinda makes sense that he can get such good conversion, at least to me.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Of course Roy doesn't reward extreme pixel perfect spacing, else his tipper would do more damage instead of less. He rewards going in succesfully. The more 'in' you get, the better Roy gets, simple as that.

He's not "Marth with more combos", he's another beast entirely.

I don't really know what you dislike in his design, other than "if Marth had those tools people would complain". But you can sum up my point to "I don't think that this is relevant".

Speaking of Marth, is that a thing ? Is he mid tier now ? Wat. I'm so August 2014.

Last edited:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
we've reached the point of circular irony where people take "marth is low tier" seriously and not as a silly joke

PandaPanda Senketsu

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5241-2412-1689
wait a sec.. I just realized something...

If Roy is a worse Marth, than that means Marth is a worse Toonlink who is a worse normal Link. Then by the laws of the commutative property if Link is a worse Ivysaur, than that means all of these characters are just a WORSE GANONDORF!!!!

Last edited:

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
i mean you can make those points without being a condescending ****. you can disagree amicably. if you want to get nasty with me i can just **** on you in the game.
but how many confirmed kills do you have?

If Roy is a worse Marth, than that means Marth is a worse Toonlink who is a worse normal Link. Then by the laws of the commutative property if Link is a worse Ivysaur, than that means all of these characters are just a WORSE GANONDORF!!!!
this guy just solved PM

Last edited:

jtm94

Smash Lord
Marth is beat. Roy is alright.
Link throws boomerang, Toon Link drinks milk.
Ike is pretty solid too.

Why do the people who deserve warnings never get them?

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
Toon Link should really drink Grandma's Soup and not milk. No more claims of low tier Tink then. Can't deny the power of Grandma's home made soup.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Roy's tippers are underwhelming.

D

Deleted member

If you watch sethlon vs many players, if he over commits he gets ****ed up pretty hard. I don't know what you're talking about umbreon lol

poorly spaced roy attacks are definitely punishable and underwhelming like sb said

D

Deleted member

If you watch sethlon vs many players, if he over commits he gets ****ed up pretty hard.
i mean that's just the nature of the game, any character that doesn't get punished for poor play is overtly dumb and isn't worth discussing because other legions of players will do that with or without me (diddy kong). time to go into the lab i guess.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Umbreon is one of the most condescending smashers I have ever seen, but you gotta respect that 02 join date. This Umbreon has enough experience to be level 100.

Last edited:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
What are you, a scrub lord that respects join dates? Everyone knows you're supposed to respect people by their post counts and their total likes

Last edited:

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
What are you, a scrub lord that respects join dates? Everyone knows you're supposed to respect people by their post counts and their total likes
Hm, I wonder which one of these criteria puts you above Umbreon...

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I wish things showed a break down of total likes by person. mechwarriorNY would be half of everyone's

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
mechwarrior is a jolly guy. If there's a GIF heaven, he would be Jesus

edit: (ahem, all should have gone here. Dunno, crashberds plz)

Hm, I wonder which one of these criteria puts you above Umbreon...
Both, but he has more trophy points than me so I can't topple him. Trophy points are crouching tiger, hidden dragon broken

Edit: 3.5 is going to be so good. I hope everyone plays it

Last edited:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Edit: MY EDIT DIDN'T WORK!!!111 Remove dp

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Umbreon is one of the most condescending smashers I have ever seen, but you gotta respect that 02 join date. This Umbreon has enough experience to be level 100.
if i was actually condescending, i would just silently dismiss everyone's posts as stupid to myself, never post, and then jeer about it with people that actually understand the game rather than trying to get dirty and debate. and having been around a while, i personally know lots of people that do this that laugh at the people that respect them. 2 cents.

Top Bottom