• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thoughts on the 3DS version getting released before the Wii U one?

TerraRizerKing

Smash Cadet
I feel like nintendo didn't want to release them at the same time because they would compete with each other. The 3DS may be the more popular platform but the Wii U version of smash will clearly be the more definitive version. Playable in HD, better graphics, Much bigger screen to play on, would clearly work better with a normal controller vs the circle pad and 4 buttons. Nintendo knew this and decided to release the 3DS version first so they didnt have to compete. It also temps people to buy both versions since they want the Wii U version more but they have the 3DS version sitting right in front of them. I guess you could say the 3DS smash is somewhat of a "demo" of the Wii U smash.

I think we should just reserve the 3DS version for casual fun and that alone. Wait for Wii U smash to drop and then the competitive scene can start to kick up.

Last edited:

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
My first response was, "Nintendo, you beautiful genius, you." I think it's brilliant. The 3DS version is going to sell like crazy this summer. It was already going to do well, but many people who were going to get one or the other and opted for the Wii U version aren't going to be able to wait that long. Then, the obviously shinier and prettier (and more competitively viable) Wii U version comes out just in time for Christmas and is probably bundled with a Wii U (which might even get a price drop?); they'll be selling like mad. Mark my words, naysayers, Nintendo's "problems" with the Wii U are going to get a lot better by the end of the year, especially with MK8 in May and hopefully a Zelda U announcement at E3.

Last edited:

DoubleN

Smash Rookie
I think that this is a beautiful move by Nintendo as the general hype will grow with the 3DS version (which will perhaps serve as more of a sample platter) and then the big Christmas release for the Wii U and yes hopefully a price drop and maybe even an exclusive console like they did with Wind Waker HD. Either way, with the hinting at some linkage (new word) between both the Wii U and 3DS and the fact that Sakurai usually has something up his sleeve, I couldn't be more excited.

EvanderVila

Smash Rookie
The 3DS version coming out during the summer where people are much more likely to be outside with their 3DS's getting street pass and stuff then when the cold winter sets in snuggle inside to play the wii u version at Christmas time on the big screen. Sounds like a smart move to me hell I'd bundle the system with it. Since they're going crazy with limited edition 3DS's (gold Zelda XL is a ****ing beauty) I'd sell a limited Wii U and 3DS version. Or hell just a Wii U one to drive up those sales . I don't really see a fault with this. People worrying about it being stale don't mention we're still playing bloody Melee after all this time. It's all new stages as well and probably a better online experience and other goodies. Can't really see a fault with this.

Last edited:

slicesabre

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2621-2933-2738
I think it is a smart move personally. Why make your games fight each other for sales by releasing them at the same time?

I mean think about it. If the 3DS and WiiU games came out at the same time more often than not fans will choose one or the other rather than both since you'll be spending a large chuck of change to purchase both on the same day. Another angle is that it is easier for Little Jimmy to convince his mom to buy Smash 4 for the 3DS in the Summer and then get her to buy Smash 4 for the WiiU at Christmas then trying to get her to buy both at the same time.

In addition to that people who may not have ever considered getting both, like myself, may now consider getting both because of the gap in time between the two release dates.

Because of this annoucement Nintendo will be selling Smash 4 to me twice rather than once like I was orginally planning to do.

Last edited:

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
I still kinda wish it was the Wii U getting released before the 3DS version. But seeing there's probably going to be more content packed into the Wii U version that may still be in development, I'll cope fine with the 3DS version in the mean time.

The only worry is seeing the Wii U version getting delayed into 2015. Hopefully that won't need to happen.

TheUnsullied

Smash Apprentice
At first I thought releasing the 3DS version first was a bad idea. I always thought that this game would be the Wii U's savior but when I heard the order that they would come out in I felt that the 3DS version will take all the buzz away from it and, if the game is badly received by the gaming community, no one will want to the Wii U version. However, the more I thought about it the more it made sense. The 3ds version being released first is good for a few reasons:
1. The 3DS version will probably be more profitable. Groups of friends will have to get both a 3ds and the game. All the profits will cover the profits lost by the Wii U. And lets be honest, if the Wii U version came out first, no one would get the 3DS version. This is an amazing marketing tactic by Nintendo.
2. This will give Mario Kart 8 the opportunity to sell Wii U systems on it's own. There are plenty of Mario Kart lovers that will pick up a Wii U for the game.
3. Holiday sales and bundles. By the time the holiday season comes around, the 3ds version would probably be saturated so it's a perfect time for the Wii U version to come out with it's bundles.
4. This last point is just speculation but maybe Nintendo will treat the 3DS version as some kind of beta test for the game. If people are complaining that something is overpowered it can be fixed by the time the Wii U version comes out. If there are glitches in the game it can be patched. If it's not being received well the by the community, Nintendo can listen to the feedback and adjust the Wii U version accordingly.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
My thoughts have pretty much been summed up multiple times in previous posts, so I'll just get to the point. "SMASHIN IN THE SUMMERTIME, OH YEAAAAH!"

lol.

Pokemon Trainer Alan

Banned via Warnings
Not getting the crappy 3ds version but Nintendo is making the right move, i'll buy MK8 in May and play that until Sm4sh(the real one not the sub par one). Its not smash brothers until you play it at home peps.

infomon

Smash Scientist
I'll be playing the heck out of smash43ds to pick my main and learn how the characters work etc. as a way to prepare for the wii-U version

I'm actually pretty surprised the 3ds one is a "summer" release (although that could mean september I suppose)... that's sooner than I was expecting... may it quell the hype in me :)

My first response was, "Nintendo, you beautiful genius, you." I think it's brilliant. The 3DS version is going to sell like crazy this summer. It was already going to do well, but many people who were going to get one or the other and opted for the Wii U version aren't going to be able to wait that long. Then, the obviously shinier and prettier (and more competitively viable) Wii U version comes out just in time for Christmas and is probably bundled with a Wii U (which might even get a price drop?); they'll be selling like mad. Mark my words, naysayers, Nintendo's "problems" with the Wii U are going to get a lot better by the end of the year, especially with MK8 in May and hopefully a Zelda U announcement at E3.
I doubt it. Hard to make up for 2 years of lost revenue.

Top Bottom