• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thoughts on the 3DS version getting released before the Wii U one?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Still, considering how late the Wii U version's release will be, gamers may have to contain themselves if they want the game for the holidays. I guess the story is casual before competitive, since handhelds don't seem to have a big competitive environment outside of the Pokemon titles.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
I'm a-ok with this happening I'll still be excited for the Wii U version anyway and this way I get to play the new Smash Bros earlier. Plus both with have different play modes anyway so there's still going to be new things to experience with the Wii U version when it comes out as well.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Honestly it doesn't bother me much. I would've liked to experience the Wii U version first, but I can always wait if it comes down to it.
Speaking of waiting, I doubt the gap between the 3DS and Wii U verions will be that big, probably not a half-a-year-difference either, probably just a 2-4 month wait, with the 3DS version being released in August-September, and the Wii U one in November-December. You can call me an optimist, but I'm just throwing this out there.
I think the same thing, honestly. By "winter" I'm sure they mean November alongside bundles for people to start buying dat Wii U / Sm4sh bundle. Since technically, if we went with the literal idea of "winter", then they'd be saying they're releasing it after December 21st.

D

Deleted member

I think the same thing, honestly. By "winter" I'm sure they mean November alongside bundles for people to start buying dat Wii U / Sm4sh bundle. Since technically, if we went with the literal idea of "winter", then they'd be saying they're releasing it after December 21st.
I pointed this out in another thread as well. Typically when it comes to Nintendo, you can assume that winter is synonymous with the holiday season, and not literally winter. I still think it would've been better just to give us the quarter of when the the game would be out (like Q3 2014 for the 3DS), but what do I know?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
They said 2014 so they better stick to that all im saying.....plus games for Xmas get released in November not December so the WiiU version has to come out November.

If the 3DS Version comes out September and they delay WiiU Version till 2015 ........

Dont even wanna go there.....

chronomantic

Smash Ace
On one hand I love that the mystery of the final roster soon will be known but on the other I kinda dislike that the 3ds is going to take the spotlight away off the Wii u version.

D

Deleted member

They said 2014 so they better stick to that all im saying.....plus games for Xmas get released in November not December so the WiiU version has to come out November.

If the 3DS Version comes out September and they delay WiiU Version till 2015 ........

Dont even wanna go there.....
I can legitimately see the 3DS version coming September with no delays to the Wii U version. Again, the gap between the two versions probably won't be that big.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
I dunno, I kinda see them spinning the Wii U as the definite version when it comes time to release the Wii U version. "Look at all the cool stuff you can do on Wii U that you can't do on 3DS! Look at all the even cooler stuff you can do if you have both!

If you guys don't think they can convince people with both consoles to buy both, think of Skylanders. Think of the millions of extra dollars spent on those figurines. =P

D

Deleted member

September too long i want July latest mid August.
You need to have some motha****in' patience mang. We've all probably waited for something longer. *COUGH*BRAWL*COUGH*
Besides, I'm still waiting for something... pls Gaben wher Half-Life 3 ;_;

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
You need to have some motha****in' patience mang. We've all probably waited for something longer. *COUGH*BRAWL*COUGH*
Besides, I'm still waiting for something... pls Gaben wher Half-Life 3 ;_;
Im a Ridley supporter i have been completly drained of my patience like a Kabutops hit with Giga Drain.

Summer is officialy June/July/August not September.

So i expect to have the game by August latest so i better.

Im a Ridley supporter i have been completly drain of my patience like a Kabutops hit with Giga Drain.

PS: This is the longest game i have waited for and most probly the most hyped for too.

mygamecube

Smash Lord
NNID
mygamecube
3DS FC
4596-9526-5701
I don't this this is as bad as people are making it out to be.

"Summer 2014" already seems like a "late summer 2014" to me. I would expect Smash 3DS to come out late August

"Winter 2014" seems like "early winter 2014", so Smash WiiU would release maybe mid Novemeber. The wait between the two versions would essentially be about a 2 and a half month wait. Honestly not the worst thing in the world.

Idk I'm thinking optimistically. I have both a 3DS and Wii U and was getting both from the get go, doesn't bother me any.

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I'm a bit worried, to be honest. Us on Smashboards are clearly huge fans of SSB, so we'll get both no matter what. But people who aren't as in to it might get their Smash fix from the 3DS version, and have no need to get the Wii U version.

I'm thinking more about the Wii U than the Smash series, I wan't people to start buying this console.

There's going to have to be something pretty special about the Wii U version to make people really want it. Maybe there's some characters you can only unlock on the Wii U version to transfer back. Or trophies? I know if I had a 3DS game that I hadn't completed, I'd go out and buy the Wii U version.

UnownLegend

Smash Apprentice
NNID
UnownLegend
I'm a bit worried, to be honest. Us on Smashboards are clearly huge fans of SSB, so we'll get both no matter what. But people who aren't as in to it might get their Smash fix from the 3DS version, and have no need to get the Wii U version.

I'm thinking more about the Wii U than the Smash series, I wan't people to start buying this console.

There's going to have to be something pretty special about the Wii U version to make people really want it. Maybe there's some characters you can only unlock on the Wii U version to transfer back. Or trophies? I know if I had a 3DS game that I hadn't completed, I'd go out and buy the Wii U version.
most peoples smash fix includes having 3 or more friends over in front of a tv. you cant get that with the 3ds. that will be the main draw of the wii u version. hardly anybody plays smash alone or just online.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
most peoples smash fix includes having 3 or more friends over in front of a tv. you cant get that with the 3ds. that will be the main draw of the wii u version. hardly anybody plays smash alone or just online.
That's true. Plenty of people do play it alone though. Maybe I'm overreacting, I just worry about the Wii U sometimes. I fricken love mine, and don't want it to drop off. E3 is going to make or break it, I feel.

Ideally, I would have preferred to have the Wii U version first, to be able to be absolutely amazed at it's graphics and changes. I think that getting it after the 3DS version will take some of that away, because it'll be beautiful and have amazing music... but it's not entirely new to me.

Fuqua

Smash Apprentice
Im a Ridley supporter i have been completly drained of my patience like a Kabutops hit with Giga Drain.

PS: This is the longest game i have waited for and most probly the most hyped for too.
Summer ends officially mid september, a september release is therefore very possible.

Last edited:

Mike_Tha_Hero

Smash Cadet
NNID
mikexxieaf
It guarantees more people purchase both, as simple as that. Imo you only benefit in the 3DS scenario if you own both versions so hopefully people spring for both if they can.

I'm going to get the 3DS version for ****s and giggles. I could live without it, but if I'm going to be spoiled on content then I may as well have the added benefit of playing the game myself.

D

Deleted member

That's probably fake.
I know capcom hasn't exactly been treating the megaman franchise right, but that's ridiculous!
Don't worry, it is indeed just satire. A quick glance at the rest of the site makes this obvious.

Dairz

Smash Ace
It would be amazing if they showed off 2-3 newcomers at E3, then announced the 3DS version would come out in another week. Sadly, that has a very small chance of happening. :ohwell:

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
At first I was annoyed the 3DS one is being released first. But after some thought it became clear I was only annoyed because I just really wanted the Wii U one more and not because nintendo is dumb or anything. Honestly if they didn't do this I probably would have just waited for the 3ds one to go on sale or would have just bought later, but now I'm definitely getting both versions day 1.

For actual release dates, I'm going to say July by the latest for the 3DS version. I say July just because looking at past Directs, most if not all games that had a direct dedicated to them came out within three months of their presentation. November release for Wii U version just because I just want it asap :p

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
the only reason a 3ds version exists is because of how awful the 3ds was doing when it first started. obviously its opposite now, with the wii u being trash and 3d thriving. they ended up putting themselves in a hole. ill get both versions but having the install base divided on a struggling console... yea... no way wii u sales wont take a hit from this

since it was announced i hated the idea of wasting time on a handheld smash. and i still do. but im glad ill have a giant demo to hold me over from aug-nov

infomon

Smash Scientist
I'm so hype for smash4..... this was a brilliant way to get more $$ out of me!!!

If they came out on the same date, I'd get a Wii-U and smash4wiiU on that day. That's what I'll use for tourney play, that will have the wifi play, so that's what I'll be playing only.

But now...... obviously I'm going to get the 3DS version this summer! To practice for the WiiU version!!!! get familiar with all the mechanics etc. But it's just to help me train for the main event!!!

Brilliant play, Sakurai. :O

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
I was already gonna get both, but now my girlfriend can hog the U for MK8 even longer. Everyone wins.

Besides, with my schedule a portable smash is better overall.

Reader

Smash Apprentice
I'm slightly annoyed, because I didn't want to have the full roster revealed before the Wii U version launches. I hope, that Wii U version will have extra unlockable characters. Those characters could be patched into the 3DS version as a free DLC, so in the end, both versions will have the same fighters.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
I'm actually expecting a connection option begween the 3DS and Wii U that allows you to unlock characters on U that you already have on 3DS (and vice versa)

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
I'm one of those people who got up early on that blustery Sunday November 18, 2012, drove myself to the nearest Wal-Mart, and stood around freezing with the other die-hard Nintendo fans waiting for the store to open so I could get my hands on their latest gem on its first sale date. The black 32 GB (seriously? 32 GB? There are iPods with more than that) Wii U. Since that day, I have felt slapped in the face by Nintendo multiple times for the many baffling business decisions they have made (NO games at release, waiting almost 2 whole years to start putting out their own brands and not just being a lesser Xbox 360 or PS3, and freakin' 32 GB of memory). Despite all this, I persevere in my support of Nintendo and their bizarre choices because, at the end of the day, they still make the best games around. /rant

On topic, though, I feel like these release dates were a good decision on their part, in the end. As many people have already said, MK8 will hopefully move some units, and releasing Sm4sh on Wii U at the same time would just be putting all their eggs in one basket. Another reason is that I suspect Nintendo is hoping that Sm4sh will be this year's Super Mario 3D World, which would explain them saving it for the holiday season. Finally, depending on how you read "Summer" and "Winter" release, it's possible that the two games could actually release as close as 2 months to one another. The last Friday before September 21st is September 19th, fast-forward 9 weeks and we're looking at November 21st (Super Mario 3D World was released on November 22nd, 2013). So the gap may not be that huge, yet it would still give the 3DS version time to make the big bucks for Nintendo from people who just can't wait.

As for me, I'm an iron-willed (somewhat apprehensively proud) Wii U owner, so I will only be getting the Wii U version of the game. None of my friends own a 3DS (neither do I), and I'm the only one of my friends with a Wii U at this point, so they can all come over to my place for local multiplayer, or I can just do "For Fun" online with randoms (praying....PRAYING that the online experience is good).

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I honestly wanted the Wii U first as that is the one I am interested in.
But, I guess I'll get the 3DS version to keep me occupied until the version I want comes out.
I'm sure the wait will be worth it.

PlTe

Smash Journeyman
Is it strange that I'm interested in the 3DS version more than the Wii U version. I mean come on, people, PORTABLE SMASH BROS YEAH!

PlayerXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShailsPT
3DS FC
3652-1682-9410
With separate release dates people will be more inclined to buy both games at the time of their release without any price cuts whatsoever. If they released at the same time, most would likely hold out on buying both of them and instead buy one game at release and another when the price was cut. Like this, you might be inclined to buy both games at their release date. Plus, 3DS version coming out on summer means taking Smash with you on your vacation - smart move. The Wii U, a home console, will likely get more sales around Christmas (Winter), especially if there is a Smash 4 bundle. Plus, if they were both released at the same time, little 3DS wouldn't sell as it would be greatly overshadowed by the Wii U version. The 3DS coming out earlier likely won't overshadow the Wii U, at least not even half as much as the 3DS would be overshadowed if they were released at the same time or if the Wii U came out first. Like this, you will likely mobilize more copies of the game (even if it means less consoles mobilized).

Sakurai is doing this for the good of the game however, not from a business point of view. The 3DS is coming out in Summer because Sakurai believes the game will be complete by then and the Wii U is coming out in Winter because he believes the game will be complete by then.

Either way, I believe this is the most profitable solution as most of the people wanting the game for the Wii U will likely still get it but will now feel more inclined to the 3DS version as well. Will the Wii U version lose some of it's magic? Yes, it will. But will it in the long run give more money to Nintendo? Yeah, it will. Lest not forget Sakurai originally planned Smash to be for the 3DS and that he was asked to do it for the Wii U as well - Sm4sh was always intended to be for the 3DS from the get go. It's natural he might want it to have a little more of a spotlight.

Roxas215

Smash Lord
To boost sales. When you're selling a product you don't immediately start selling once it's "complete."

Timing is extremely essential, and the timing couldn't be worse for the Wii U as far as I'm concerned. This might be the final nail in the Wii U's coffin. Not even Smash 4 will save it at this point.

Your saying the wii u version should be released first because the wii u is dying like this is the biggest game they got. Mario kart will always sale more the smash bros. Mario kart is coming out in may.

Releasing the 3ds version makes much more sense then your making it seem. First off if both was gonna be released at the same time how many people would of bought both?? Not me for sure. Im pretty much forced to buy the 3ds version now since it's coming out months before the wii u version. More money im giving nintendo now.

2nd. The wii u version was always gonna take more time then the 3ds version. Again why sit on the 3ds version when you can get sales you wouldn't normally get by releasing the 3ds version first? Also summer is normally a dry spot in video games for all consoles. This just made sure the 3ds is fine during the summer.

3rd idk about you but im absolutely ecstatic that we'll know the full roster is just a couple months instead of having to wait til nov/dec.

Last edited:

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Your saying the wii u version should be released first because the wii u is dying like this is the biggest game they got. Mario kart will always sale more the smash bros. Mario kart is coming out in may.

Releasing the 3ds version makes much more sense then your making it seem. First off if both was gonna be released at the same time how many people would of bought both?? Not me for sure. Im pretty much forced to buy the 3ds version now since it's coming out months before the wii u version. More money im giving nintendo now.

2nd. The wii u version was always gonna take more time then the 3ds version. Again why sit on the 3ds version when you can get sales you wouldn't normally get by releasing the 3ds version first? Also summer is normally a dry spot in video games for all consoles. This just made sure the 3ds is fine during the summer.

3rd idk about you but im absolutely ecstatic that we'll know the full roster is just a couple months instead of having to wait til nov/dec.
I've already repeated multiple times that this has nothing to do with Nintendo's profits as a whole. I'm primarily concerned about the future success of the Wii U.

With the 3DS version releasing first, on a cheaper AND more popular console, casuals will have very little incentive to purchase the Wii U version, which pretty much guarantees that Smash WiiU won't be nearly as popular as Brawl.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Didn't Sakurai say at some point that between both versions, every character would be capable of the same stuff? Wouldn't that mean by the time the 3DS version goes gold, the character balancing would have to be completely done? Wonder what they'll decide to work on for the rest of the Wii U dev time.

Nippo

Smash Cadet
I see it as a tacit acknowledgement by Nintendo that the Wii U is doomed and most of their sales will be coming from the 3DS version no matter what they do. Also, their inexperience with HD development.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
minor its cool. I'll just ditch Mario kart 8 and go for the 3ds version then go for the wii u.

actually take that back. I can hold out a little whiel longer i literally have no Wii u games, this year will be the repeat of my childhood.

Wii = Smash brawl and Mario kart wii on my weekends

Now it'll be the same MK8 and Sm4sh.

I can watch footage online if i wanna see some 3ds stuff right now its exams and in summer i'm gonna go out and enjoy life with my friends games can be played in winter summer you need to get out IMO.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
IMO Wii U and 3DS are going to be completely different games on terms of how they're played. The Wii U version is going to be great for hanging out with friends. It's more of a Fighting/Party game. 3DS appears like it's going to have a lot of solo and online emphasis because of the way the system is designed. I realize we have Smash Run, but that's just one mode for local multiplayer. Wii U will still be great for all the same reasons the past 3 installments were, and 3DS won't stand up to that.

Top Bottom