• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta "This is the Monado's Power" - Metagame Discussion

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I updated the first table with a bunch of numbers. Let me know what's right & what's wrong.

Hint: Every number(s) with a * beside them is what I came up with. Double or Triple clarification is always welcomed.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
So I bought the instruction book for Smash Wii U and it said that Shulk's Jump art makes him take more damage. I did not realize this till now and that makes it not a straight upgrade at the beginning of a stock.

I feel like now that Jump is going to have to be used more carefully, at least against characters who have good throw combos like Diddy.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
So I bought the instruction book for Smash Wii U and it said that Shulk's Jump art makes him take more damage. I did not realize this till now and that makes it not a straight upgrade at the beginning of a stock.

I feel like now that Jump is going to have to be used more carefully, at least against characters who have good throw combos like Diddy.
Jump can make it bad or good depending on the throw & its angle it launches you, because of Jump mode's increase in falling speed that makes you fall naturally faster. Though taking additional damage isn't really worth utilizing that tactic in hindsight. Oh & just in case for knowledge Jump mode reduces Shulk's weight too.

EDIT: What else does the booklet say about the Monado Arts? I'm curious :V

Last edited:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Jump can make it bad or good depending on the throw & its angle it launches you, because of Jump mode's increase in falling speed that makes you fall naturally faster. Though taking additional damage isn't really worth utilizing that tactic in hindsight. Oh & just in case for knowledge Jump mode reduces Shulk's weight too.

EDIT: What else does the booklet say about the Monado Arts? I'm curious :V
I feel like jump is good because it increases his air speed and fall speed significantly, meaning if he lands a n-air infront of somebody's shield he can cross them up because of how much he slides afterwards. Im only finding it bad against characters who have good throw combos since if I do get grabbed, a ton of percent is going to be tackled onto me.

I'll post more about what the booklet has to say tomorrow, its late tonight for me.

Because of Buster being x1.13 now, Jump is now Shulk's most fragile art sitting at x1.22. Adding to that, Shulk's weight also gets decreased. Not saying jump sucks. In fact, I still think it's Shulk's best art (but I can make a case for buster)

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Even with the damage increase, Jump is too good. A full jump that let's him follow up after nearly every aerial launch (u-throw in particular0), he gets a boosted recovery, and his offstage game becomes amazing. Jump combined with his awesome range in F-air and B-air give Shulk one of the best edge-guarding games.

1) What stages naturally lend to or harm Shulk's playstyle? I'm so used to playing Omega stages that I've not put much thought into stages with any complexity. When choosing stages, I'll obviously have to be considering who my opponent has chosen, but I'd like to know if there are certain elements I should look for.
2) Custom moves - I should probably make some decisions on this so I can get to practicing. I'm certainly using Power Vision, because that's insane. I don't really like Decisive Arts because I'm not decisive ever. I might have a regular and Hyper set, but I'm pretty inexperienced with Hyper Arts. Any advice? What kinds of moves do you guys like using?
3) Do Final Destination and Omega stages have any difference? I didn't think so but the way they've worded the ruleset makes it sound like there are.
1) Battlefield is one of his best stages by far. Just by standing in the middle, he's already in range to threaten the three platforms in the stage. Prism Tower is good too, he's got the movement to take advantage of the stage transformations.
2) I like the default Arts best: I can see Hyper being useful, specially Buster + D-tilt chains. It's risky though, due to the extreme disadvantages he gains with the extreme advantages. I like Back Slash Charge (side 3) and Advancing Air Slash (up 2) because of the distance they give Shulk.
3) Some FD forms don't have character shadows, like Balloon Fight and Flat Zone. Greninja gets a sorta gimmicky advantage with his Shadow Sneak shenanigans. Wario Ware has a janky camera that doesn't zoom in the fighters. Rainbow Road and Corneria have lag, there's a lot going on in those stages backgrounds. As explained before, the sides of some stages let characters wall jump, whereas others are just big floating platforms.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Because of Buster being x1.13 now, Jump is now Shulk's most fragile art sitting at x1.22. Adding to that, Shulk's weight also gets decreased. Not saying jump sucks. In fact, I still think it's Shulk's best art (but I can make a case for buster)
Honestly the Jump art's mobility is so absurdly good that even with its weaknesses it should be his best art just as long as you play well. If you space correctly with it your opponent will have an incredibly hard time hitting you.

I just got my hands on the Wii U version... Shulk feels x10000 better. Speed most notably

I'll admit, shield is still important for not dying and all that but because of the shorter blast zones and the (mostly) death of vectoring, it feels like it got indirectly nerfed. Then again, I'm probably still gonna use it because you still don't die anyway compared to 100% of the cast and that's a big plus. Although, using jump might be a good idea for surviving instead of shield considering how much mobility you got with jump... I don't know. Getting hit with jump on still hurts but most people forget that you can actually still opt to play defensively with jump.

I love how buster makes Shulk's f-tilt (tipped or in-between beam and blade hit), d-tilt (tipped), b-air (tipped) and FF f-air (tipped or in-between beam and blade hit) safe while eating shield health and pushing back shielded foes. This all gets slightly amped up with decisive arts which for me is an on and off relationship because of how much you have to commit to one art or two (It's still good though against characters that suck or slightly suck against Shulk). You can commit to jump or speed though. Especially speed.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I'm starting to realize how effective the back aerial is as a poke. It has very long range, and can neutralize weak projectiles like Mario's Fireball or Pit's Palutena Bow. I especially use it in Shield mode to compensate for the slower speed.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I noticed B-air has a blade hitbox in front of Shulk. It's when he lunges the monado in front of him before thrusting it behind him. Not the greatest range, but it's quite a deadly blade hitbox that sends the opponent flying in front of him. Dunno if it will be useful in the long run, but good to keep this in mind.

Last edited:
I noticed B-air has a blade hitbox in front of Shulk. It's when he lunges the monado in front of him before thrusting it behind him. Not the greatest range, but it's quite a deadly blade hitbox that sends the opponent flying in front of him. Dunno if it will be useful in the long run, but good to keep this in mind.
Sometimes instead of using some relatively quick like f-air, you can mind game them into thinking that you're gonna use f-air when facing front which might prompt them to do something else maybe an air dodge or whatever. Assuming it's an air dodge, when you jump towards them (with jump or smash preferably), you can use b-air instead since the start up is slower such that the active hitbox comes out when their air dodge animation is finished

It's impractical but it's something to take note of because people fear Shulk's f-air more because landing lag decrease, huge amount of area covered, stuff

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Jump mode on the WiiU with a C-stick feels fantastic because of the aerial follow-up FH > F-air > DJ > B-air's front-ward hit-box. They get launched at a unfavorable angle more-so than a F-air, making it advantageous for us to seal a stock. Only Jump & perhaps Speed to an extent can do this because of dat Air Speed.:shades: B-air is also mind-blowing for items like Timber because the times it's not fully grown staying as a plant, B-air just clashes with it multiple times airborne going under some hit-lag & still goes through to connect to an opponent. B-air does a lot of justice for us, with the whole blade hit in front, blade under, & then behind him jazz.

Last edited:

monadoboyy

Smash Rookie
Don't know if this is the correct thread, but do you guys have any tips for using Jump onstage? I have this feeling that I just waste it every time I use it

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458

I only use Jump for off-stage. Recover/Edgeguard if I can help it.
I prefer Speed/Vanilla/Bustah for on-stage shenanigans.

However one thing to note is that increased damage means more KB, which means you get out of combo's earlier.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Don't know if this is the correct thread, but do you guys have any tips for using Jump onstage? I have this feeling that I just waste it every time I use it
When using Jump, remember that raw offense is not always the best option. Jump is best used to control the stage in your favor, since the mobilty allows you to cover both the air and ground effectively. Just remember when on the ground, Shulk controls the same, even down to having unaltered damage. However, due to the jumps, Shulk can practically dance around his opponents, especially the fatties like Bowser. Take to the skies if you want to disorient your opponents, and remember the fundimentals of baiting and defense.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Pretty much what the guy above me said. Jump is incredibly useful onstage. Use it as a way to space well, its not something you can always just jump in and attack with. Wait around and let them mess up if they try to chase you. Because you take more damage while in this state you have to be mindful of how you're using you're superb aerial mobility.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Pretty much what the guy above me said. Jump is incredibly useful onstage. Use it as a way to space well, its not something you can always just jump in and attack with. Wait around and let them mess up if they try to chase you. Because you take more damage while in this state you have to be mindful of how you're using you're superb aerial mobility.
You become Jigglypuff basically, minus the ability weave in and out
but with better vertical ascension.

TheBardlyBard

Smash Cadet
So i don't really know if this is the right place to post it, but im trying to figure out how to do those two ATs the monado bounce and the monado art cancel, can anyone tell me the input and how to of these moves, the videos dont really explain it. Thanks

So i don't really know if this is the right place to post it, but im trying to figure out how to do those two ATs the monado bounce and the monado art cancel, can anyone tell me the input and how to of these moves, the videos dont really explain it. Thanks
Time your Art activation such that the art activates when the landing lag of an aerial starts. The landing lag is cancelled

Monado bounce..... I don't use it that much so idk

Last edited:

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
So grassy terrains have higher friction - in omega stages too. This effects how far you go while shielding too. Just something good to know!

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Is it me, or is Shulk's forward roll much better than his back roll? F-roll feels almost MK f-roll godlike, whereas his back roll feels really slow (whatever a "slow" roll is in this game, anyways).

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
wat how u no dis
Sorry, should have linked:
http://smashboards.com/threads/friction-and-omegas-its-not-dacus.379314/
There.
Is it me, or is Shulk's forward roll much better than his back roll? F-roll feels almost MK f-roll godlike, whereas his back roll feels really slow (whatever a "slow" roll is in this game, anyways).
I thought this too yesterday. When I test it in practice mode, I find it has the same amount of time and distance so that means they are both the same speed I guess. Since we both thought the same thing, I think it must be due to just the animation while there's no physical differences.

Last edited:

NT 3000

Style>Winning
NNID
NoiseTank3000
3DS FC
2578-3240-5015
I return! Who is really feeling shulk now that we have a GameCube controller in hand?!?!

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I thought this too yesterday. When I test it in practice mode, I find it has the same amount of time and distance so that means they are both the same speed I guess. Since we both thought the same thing, I think it must be due to just the animation while there's no physical differences.
Interesting, thanks for that. I thought the backwards roll lasted longer just because of the animation (quick step vs curl roll back), but I guess if there are no differences aside from animation then both are fine to use.

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I return! Who is really feeling shulk now that we have a GameCube controller in hand?!?!
*holding Pro controller in hands reading this* Welcome back. I am really feeling it.
-
Do you guys know about jump cancelled back slash? Set your jump to Z if on gamecube controller or a shoulder on a Pro controller and input the jump immediately before the side b. Shulk gets amazing height and range with his back slash - enough height to jump to a platform on battlefield. You get decently farther range too. This is at a cost to attack speed. Can be done out of shield too. Idk if its really from jump cancelling or not though which is why I'm refraining from calling it that

I'm enjoying having jump set to a shoulder so far- although I have years of muscle memory to correct. I've been tap jumping ever since smash 64. While I'm quite good at it - short hopping effortlessly and all - it doesn't allow me to keep my horizontal movements in the air.
-
I'm trying my analog stick being set to "attack" rather than "smash attack" because you can do Nair with it by pressing diagonally. I don't think smash attacks are something Shulk should be using as often as tilts anyways, so it works out. Doing this also has the advantage of letting you continue moving in the air while the c-stick is pressed, since having it set to smash attacks blocks all inputs of movement while it is pressed down.

edit: Explanation for the back slash thing:
It seems to carry your vertical momentum somewhat into the attack. The jump heighta of Marts affect the height of the attack and as to be expected it's really high with bunny hood.

Last edited:
I might have the same feeling here. Maybe it's because every time I back roll, I get wrecked hard for some reason. I didn't notice much about his f-roll though because I roll less in speed but this is good to know

NT 3000

Style>Winning
NNID
NoiseTank3000
3DS FC
2578-3240-5015
*holding Pro controller in hands reading this* Welcome back. I am really feeling it.
-
Do you guys know about jump cancelled back slash? Set your jump to Z if on gamecube controller or a shoulder on a Pro controller and input the jump immediately before the side b. Shulk gets amazing height and range with his back slash - enough height to jump to a platform on battlefield. You get decently farther range too. This is at a cost to attack speed. Can be done out of shield too. Idk if its really from jump cancelling or not though which is why I'm refraining from calling it that

I'm enjoying having jump set to a shoulder so far- although I have years of muscle memory to correct. I've been tap jumping ever since smash 64. While I'm quite good at it - short hopping effortlessly and all - it doesn't allow me to keep my horizontal movements in the air.
-
I'm trying my analog stick being set to "attack" rather than "smash attack" because you can do Nair with it by pressing diagonally. I don't think smash attacks are something Shulk should be using as often as tilts anyways, so it works out. Doing this also has the advantage of letting you continue moving in the air while the c-stick is pressed, since having it set to smash attacks blocks all inputs of movement while it is pressed down.

edit: Explanation for the back slash thing:
It seems to carry your vertical momentum somewhat into the attack. The jump heighta of Marts affect the height of the attack and as to be expected it's really high with bunny hood.
well I was typing a response then was in a match and killed a Ganon with forward vision after he fsmash me at around 40-50% oh my god lol

I'll be real here. I'm fine with Sheik, Rosalina, Zero Suit, Sanic, and whatever. I don't feel like one character has the solid advantage and that the match could go either way.

But Diddy.... **** that guy. Without customs, this guy is beats us. Solid. Some outplaying is needed in this match up

Sojuman

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sojuman
I'll be real here. I'm fine with Sheik, Rosalina, Zero Suit, Sanic, and whatever. I don't feel like one character has the solid advantage and that the match could go either way.

But Diddy.... **** that guy. Without customs, this guy is beats us. Solid. Some outplaying is needed in this match up
Diddy is an annoying match up. I don't like going up against sonic either.

I'm interested to see how safe buster f-smash aimed upward is. I'm sure that there's a noticeable knockback increase if you aim it upward. It probably isn't safe but it's worth testing

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
I'm interested to see how safe buster f-smash aimed upward is. I'm sure that there's a noticeable knockback increase if you aim it upward. It probably isn't safe but it's worth testing
I know it's absolutely unsafe on Sonic, ZSS, Captain Falcon, and Fox. Free grab for all of them. But that's only if the tipper hits them, haven't done it with hilt + tip

Last edited:
I think I'm advocating for using smash art as soon as possible. The KO potential with Smash art is insane.

I mean...

The smaller blast zones
Death of vectoring (Most of it)
Smash's KB increase
Shulk's base KB being high in general

You can KO at low %'s with all these

Nammy12

Smash Lord
NNID
Nammy12
I think I'm advocating for using smash art as soon as possible. The KO potential with Smash art is insane.

I mean...

The smaller blast zones
Death of vectoring (Most of it)
Smash's KB increase
Shulk's base KB being high in general

You can KO at low %'s with all these
Just wondering, at what percents should we be using smash (light, middle, heavy)? I'm always a bit worried that they don't have enough damage so I don't switch it until they're around 90%.

Just wondering, at what percents should we be using smash (light, middle, heavy)? I'm always a bit worried that they don't have enough damage so I don't switch it until they're around 90%.
Unfortunately and I've said this, I don't have access to Smash Bros Wii U all the time. I'll have it under my house at Christmas. So... I can't answer your question. I'm just basing this from videos

**** my life

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Well, I haven't had time to really go out there to tourneys lately due to school, but out of all the common matchups so far that I've faced as Shulk, right now the hardest ones for me are:
:4diddy: <- It's hard. He combos Shulk for days, once he gets close to him Shulk has a hard time getting Diddy off him. Seems like a match where we need to punish the mistakes the Diddy is making through perfect DI and hitting back using our range. At higher levels of play, this just becomes harder and harder. At least our attacks can swat away banana peels.
I'm glad I also play Fox, I have a much easier time with Diddy (feels even, IMO).

:4yoshi: <- This is probably my worst matchup. Yoshi is really stupid this time around. Super armor on double jump is much stronger, not even Shulk's strong blade hitboxes break it: I have a recording (I'll upload later today) of an online match where I hit Yoshi with BOTH the blade hit and beam meteor smash hit of the D-air and he just kept jumping through it. And his air game. Oh my gosh his air game is incredible. Up-air juggles for days.

:4sonic: <- All the buffs to his attacks make it very risky to trade with him. You have to space super well, and DI the knockback in his moves perfectly (otherwise, you get combo'd to no end until you're in a tough position off-stage). Really hard to figure out what he is going to do with all his Spin Dash cancel mixup shenanigans. Another matchup I find tough with Fox, though I actually feel more comfortable playing Shulk in this one. Personal preference

Last edited:

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
odd. I had to go shulk to beat Diddy cus he was eating my Pit.

Hardest matchups for me have been
Robin - But haven't fought him lately.
Jigglypuff - I need to stop jabbing. Its Rest bait.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
My contribution to the topic at hand:
My friend & I play plenty of offline 1v1s & at times I have trouble with these fests: :4dedede: & :4robinm:. Ofc I should play more players but offline game-play is dope. Also I tried jabbing a Ness but he crouched & somehow dodged my rapid Jab-1. .:ohwell:

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Jigglypuff - I need to stop jabbing. Its Rest bait.
Oh yeah, Jiggs. That's another annoying character.

The third hit of our jab combo doesn't even connect with her properly at ~20%, due to how floaty she is. I do enjoy how Shulk can at least match her in the air though, thanks to Jump.

So far. The characters that forced me to amp up my game are Diddy and Yoshi. Well, I'm actually sort of okay with Yoshi but uugggggh, still annoying as **** to fight.

Dedede used to be a match up problem for me until I learned that just going speed/jump blitz on him was much easier than going buster/smash. Using buster was ultra dumb on my part

Last edited:
Top Bottom