• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Thinner character, bigger appeal!" Paper Mario for SSB4; Thread migration soon!

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I saw this coming since the ESRB leak. Let's just hope he's DLC.
If not, at least he's a prime candidate for Smash 5.

tsvlink25

Smash Apprentice
NNID
tsvlink25
3DS FC
1719-3628-9238
Wow, I can't believe he isn't in :/
It's a shame...but, I'm not too upset, because I've seen amazing ideas in here about Paper Mario...Amazing ideas that I know wouldn't have been put in, but were amazing nonetheless.
All the supporters here have been great, and I honestly have to give a huge thanks to @ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 for doing an amazing job with this thread as the OP -- thanks for being awesome with this! If it wasn't for you and your amazing support for Paper Mario, I'd have never found this thread.

It's been a great run with you all, my fellow supporters--I loved reading every single post here by all of you, and so many of you had such amazing ideas for Paper Mario, all ranging from stages, movesets, palettes, and even more!

So, again, it's been great supporting Paper Mario--I'll never give up hope--I know he'll be in Smash someday :)

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Well, this thread will be closed in 2 days so I need to say my future love sharing of Paper Mario will go.

If you've been supporting here and even tough support is done, you still want to talk about the series like hidden stuff or theories and fun facts, I will try to make a general thread on his series maybe before release if I can, but I can't promess.

Since I have html backups, I will notify the one that have been active here a lot from the list in priority by PM and might advertise it in a future sig and such.

So, I want that you try to check this site from time to time and I just want to be sure you won't leave everything because if you still want to share love on those game without being smash related, that's the best way to do it.

New thread, new purpose, new OP, new experience.

I just want to know before this thread close, would you be there when I decide to go forward?

Thanks for your answers!

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
I am not surprised that he wasn't in, but as a supporter, it would have been amazing. It's been real fun gang.

*transforms into a paper airplane and flies off*

tsvlink25

Smash Apprentice
NNID
tsvlink25
3DS FC
1719-3628-9238
I just want to know before this thread close, would you be there when I decide to go forward?
Would I go to a general Paper Mario thread you make, or something along those lines? Sure! :D That'd be interesting.

Oh, and just wondering, how did the trophy picture 100% deconfirm him overall? Is it still possible he be an assist trophy, or appear on his stage, then?

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I am not surprised that he wasn't in, but as a supporter, it would have been amazing. It's been real fun gang.

*transforms into a paper airplane and flies off*
Thanks, but can you answer the question above?

That would be appreciated :)

Would I go to a general Paper Mario thread you make, or something along those lines? Sure! :D That'd be interesting.

Oh, and just wondering, how did the trophy picture 100% deconfirm him overall? Is it still possible he be an assist trophy, or appear on his stage, then?
Because not in the roster + trophy = not playable 100%

all assist got confirmed and it's final so not assist.

Could appear on his stage, but I doubt it.

Oh and I forgot to mention, it doesn't prevent repping on WiiU without him playable if he got a stage on 3ds.

So, theater might be possible, but let's not get into support talk and just keep that for general thread after :)

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
Thanks, but can you answer the question above?

That would be appreciated :)

Because not in the roster + trophy = not playable 100%

all assist got confirmed and it's final so not assist.

Could appear on his stage, but I doubt it.

Oh and I forgot to mention, it doesn't prevent repping on WiiU without him playable if he got a stage on 3ds.

So, theater might be possible, but let's not get into support talk and just keep that for general thread after :)
I would love to stick around and discuss stuff.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Well, this thread will be closed in 2 days so I need to say my future love sharing of Paper Mario will go.

If you've been supporting here and even tough support is done, you still want to talk about the series like hidden stuff or theories and fun facts, I will try to make a general thread on his series maybe before release if I can, but I can't promess.

Since I have html backups, I will notify the one that have been active here a lot from the list in priority by PM and might advertise it in a future sig and such.

So, I want that you try to check this site from time to time and I just want to be sure you won't leave everything because if you still want to share love on those game without being smash related, that's the best way to do it.

Thanks for your answers!
I think we should go in the direction of the K. Rool and Chrom threads. Go the "Support as DLC" route.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I think we should go in the direction of the K. Rool and Chrom threads. Go the "Support as DLC" route.
Nah, I concluded that I will only support DLC if DLC is confirmed becauyse this thread will be unarchived.

Plus, the twitter thing is only on this event.

So, sorry, but I'm done with smash support. I'm not done with love sharing and I will never be so, that's the best I can do and I know @ Paper Maribro Paper Maribro and others would love that.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
Yeah, although I do feel uncertain... If there is DLC, then I know he's gonna have stiff competition from others that are highly requested. Regardless, I'll still support the idea of Paper Mario DLC.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
To every Super Paper Mario (SPM) fans, you have to read this and you'll love me for this post maybe.

It feels like Sal time where I wait for the thread to be on second page to reply for visibility, but that's how dark time goes. Keep hoping guys! We aren't alone to live this, but we have what we need to get rough this.

So, yesterday, I did beat the pit of 100 trials and so, got a 100% file for the first time as weird as it sounds. I have never beaten the pit before so now I can stop to be ashamed for it :)

But you know what it means?

I STARTED SPM!!!

:colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful:

And I beat the first chapter which was enough to be familiar with the gameplay and get where the game is going from a design perspective and so far...the game is underrated as heck.

Ok, I know it's first impressions, but so far, this should not change unless there's something that doesn't make sense with the gameplay which should not happen with what I got. I didn't find anything to hate the mechanics so far and I'm actually confused on why it's hated.

First, let me just tell you right away: I SUCK at 2D mario platformer. Tried smw, loved the design, but I sucked so much that I couldn't even appreciate it and so, didn't beat it. So, I will admit that I was hesitant on spm and also for not being in 3D all the time which should be the way to appreciate the artstyle like in TTYD. By beating ch1, I realised that those was baseless concerns.

The graphics are made to be so simple that when you flip in 3D, you only need seconds to appreciate them and it was designed to work with flipping mechanics. The thing is, EVERYTHING is made to make flipping and 2D as main dimension work. The core of the game is the flipping and from what I got so far, it's genius.

The game isn't a platformer nor it is an RPG. It's both bridged together by the flipping mechanics. It acts like a mutual bridges where one helps the other to work which is then helping the first one to work in return. By having to constantly use the flipping, it creates a circle when it mixes both genre together pretty well. So, saying that the game isn't good because it doesn't follow RPG is technically inaccurate and from the series context, it's totally false.

Let me tell you why flipping mechanics does all that. In platforming, your goal is to go from point a to point b without dying and revolves around using platforms to reach the destination which is the end of the level. The 2D mode reflects mostly this genre since it's the most simple way to represent that you have a starting point and you try to reach the end. That is pure platforming with enemies and obstacle, I can't deny that.

Where it gets interesting is where RPG elements comes. The enemies are under an HP system and you have multiples ways to drop the HP like the usual jump, Pixl ability, items, etc... Of course, with the jump, that's where it gets like platformer where you decide the way you jump and the angle. This jumps actually has a very free control with a lot of possible height so it helps in that regard.

I named Pixil and items. Kind of reminds me like I don't know THE FREAKING SAME AS FIRST 2 GAMES!!!

Now this is where I don't get it. There's so much assets from TTYD in this game that it almost feels like it. Even sounds effects got copy pasted and other things is slightly altered all over the place. Graphics are under the same conventions as well as sounds, but it gets really further: humor, text style, design consistencies and even traditions from the series are kept. The shop system, inn system, game over jokes on refusing a dialog choice, 4th wall jokes, tattle as help system, hint system, items system, an exp system, hp system, text style, tattle log system, partners system and it goes on and on...

Now, how does this game broke any conventions? It kept most of them and even better: the ONLY modifications I saw was SLIGHT and was only done for DESIGN CONSISTENCIES with the CORE GAMEPLAY!!!

Really, everything is kept as RPG and it's just slightly altered to make RPG works with platforming, but this platforming part is also helping the RPG side.

And that's where the flipping comes. The flipping changes completely the platforming philosophy of just getting to to end of the level by following the path of the level. The flipping is not permanent and you cannot use it indefinitely because there's hidden stuff in 3D so it makes no sense to spot them all right away, there has to be time restrictions to prevent that. But this forces you to check if there's something odd in 2D or a place that when you project the geometry in your head that it could have stuff hidden. You have no choice but to check the environment and when you flip, you're not following the path, but trying to figure it out by USING the level.

Yes, you use the level to get where to go, not following the path. This creates a lot of puzzles possibilities that guess what? It matches what you would do in RPG context. By flipping in 3D, you use the level to find clues and to figure out the path which is RPG side and by flipping back in 2D after, you go back to the first goal of getting to the end of the level by following the path you just found so it's back to platforming.

Now I think you got it why it's not JUST a platformer nor it is JUST an RPG, but it's both bridged together. With how the score, normally useless in platformer acts like the exp system, it's clear that it forces you to fight enemies instead of doing the equivalent of "Run away". Because it's in real time, platform mechanics, you have no reasons to not get exp since it's quick and not annoying to farm, RPG mechanics.

See? It's constantly mixing both genre via a mutual bridges and that does 2 things: 1: it's really innovative and brings up interesting possibilities and 2: you only need to like one genre to even enjoy the game at all.

Yeah, I said I suck at 2D mario platformer, I don't here. Why? I love RPG and having the RPG side helping the platformer so that the side I suck is better in RPG context which I love. Then, this platforming side help the RPG side by having to figure out the path before following it in a platformer. Result: I enjoy the platforming in this case because not only it works in RPG context, but it also makes the side I love better for plattforming which makes me LIKE the platforming in the game!!!

Really, now, back to my view: because this was apparently ignored by most people who hated the game, I think it's a severe case of underrated game.

I don't get it. I see 2 major complains on the game: 1: being a platformer and so, too different from first 2 games of the series to worth the try and second, breaking RPG elements.

The first ignores how the platforming is in RPG context which should, in series context, makes it better, but the second is just ugh... I didn't even started the chapter 2 and this game is raining RPG elements and even better, TTYD assets. How is this breaking RPG consistencies? I'm serious there's partners and items how is that breaking anything? Most of the series consistencies are KEPT with the slight modification of working better with platforming which in the end DOES NOT CHANGES ANY CONSISTENCIES ATV ALL and so, DOESN'T BREAK ANY OF THEM!!!

Like, I just don't get how it was that much ignored. I was even impressed to see most of the series consistencies in the game right at the beginning that it's just too obvious.

My rant is done.

So, for impressions, I like lireland road, flipping seems fun to do, the segmented chapter doesn't break RPG context, dialogs are funny as ever with 4th wall jokes, but fracktail text was...

How can I say it appropriately? THE FREAKING BEST 4TH WALL TEXT EVER???

No really, that was way too hilarious for me to take those jokes. This is a rain of computer and Windows jokes that are just so hilarious that it's just amazing that they pushed it THAT FAR. It's even referencing an obscure name from zelda 2 (yeah, you probably know what it is). Like, it's further than TTYD here and may even reach Earthbound level which was completely unrestricted to anything related to IRL. I can't wait to see other text in that much quality now.

So, that pretty much means that so far, love the game and don't understand why it's hated. I may eventually do a complete review like I did for TTYD after I beat the game because for a game that seems underrated, it deserves my complete takes on it.

With that in mind, now that I got thoreau, I want it so much to be his grabs now. Especially if it has the rectangle animation around the enemies. I actually want moves from spm because Paper Mario deserves them. I actually wouldn't even mind if TTYD and spm are used equally in his set, but as long as sticker star stays a minority, I'm good.

Btw, spm makes sticker star looks even worst by not making RPG works while spm did with another genre. Hope if the james leak is Paper Mario related that this one will follow the series consistencies like every game did until sticker star which broke most of them.

Hope you like this wall of texts if you're an spm fan :)
Yes. I love it. Thank you SO much for this!

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
RIP Paper Mario 2001-2014. You will be missed.
the heck?

It's not like his series is dead or something. There's actually a leak pointing towards an IS game where the leaker is a credited IS programmer and he said he worked on sticker star, game and wario and 3 other games that I have no clue what they are. This was on September LAST YEAR! It's aWiiU game and after almost a year, I think we should see it announced at one point.

Hope it's Paper Mario :) btw, pushmo world isn't that game because the leaker said he wwas working on it which imply to see the name "James Anderson" in the credits and it didn't.

It still not known what is this game, but the source is credible.

So, he's not dead, just not in smash4.

Like, I know it's shocking not lying even for me, but don't exaggerate :)

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
Also: Darn, I never finished my moveset! D:
EDIT: @ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 : I meant dead for his chances in Smash 4 (unless DLC is a thing, or a character update), but I used his series release year as the "birthyear".

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Also: Darn, I never finished my moveset! D:
EDIT: @ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 : I meant dead for his chances in Smash 4 (unless DLC is a thing, or a character update), but I used his series release year as the "birthyear".
It should have been 1999-2012 then.

Sticker star got released that year and 1999 is JP I think.

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
It should have been 1999-2012 then.

Sticker star got released that year and 1999 is JP I think.
Whoops! It's 2000 in Japan.
Also, the roster may have changed over time (such as Greninja being decided a few months before X and Y), so I used 2014.

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
I just want to say that this has been one of the best experiences of my life. I've never really supported a cause to this level, even if it is something as small as a Super Smash Bros. character.

When I first found this thread, I was awestruck by how much more there was to this character that even I knew. I never really knew how much potential he had; that's because infinity is a number impossible to measure. And that's just what he had. I looked through each and every page of this thread only to find increasing amounts of support. He's out sped many a character in terms of support, mostly because of how the games bring people so close together. We all have our stories to share, and this place makes it possible.

All that I regret is not finding out about this thread or even this site sooner, as I wish I could have experienced more of this. Regardless, I joined at the end of July and nothing can change that. And it doesn't matter. Supporters join all the time, and that happened to be my time. I'm actually surprised at how many more people joined after I did. A constant barrage of new, friendly faces is not something to be ignored, but to be welcomed.

I'm completely accepting of the fact that Paper Mario isn't in the game as a playable character. Other characters got their chances in this installment, and we just need to wait for our turn. Besides; we've already gotten much homage to the Paper Mario games than we did in Melee or Brawl. We got a stage, guys! That stage was the only reason I even showed my support publicly, and I'm really happy for that. I would still love to see The Theater/The Glitzpit, but I won't be expecting of it. What we have is more than enough, and I can't wait to listen to that sweet music.

I loved supporting Paper Mario, and I know I should be able to expect something great from Smash 4, with or without Paper Mario. The WiiU Paper Mario game is sure to be announced any time now, and I for one am excited.

Anyone who wants to play can send me a message on my channel, and I'll gladly add you.

~ See you guys on the flipside! :) ~

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Guys, the Lip thread got moved into the hangout Nintenzone.

@ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 Just ask a mod to move it there or something :)
I just pmed the character discussion mods to ask about a move with purpose change.

Like the OP would get archived on the second post because I need full edit power and the OP itself is so big that I need to use the basic editor. Doing a new OP needs the rich text editior so that will be done after moving.

oGr33n

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3050-7615-9118
At the end of all this, I'm just really happy Paper Mario was able to get his own stage as opposed to so many other notable nintendo characters who only appear as assist and static trophies. That's already perfect. Paper Mario as a character would have been a bonus. He was my only wanted newcomer, but he has been acknowledged in Smash a lot more than many characters that didn't make the cut. I can't wait to play on that stage!

Thanks for hosting this thread and being the driving, vocal supporter that Paper Mario deserved, aldelaro5.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
@ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 I don't know if you knew this already, but I have info regarding the music on the Paper Mario stage.
For the first phase it's obviously Blue Sky, White Clouds from Sticker Star.

However, interestingly, the second phase has a remix of Rogueport's theme.

The third has the Airship remix from Sticker Star as well.

I hope that Rogueport remix is available as it's own track. It rocks.

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
@ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 I don't know if you knew this already, but I have info regarding the music on the Paper Mario stage.

Sir, you just made my day :colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful:

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
Well, in the meantime... I will be holding on support for the true Mario in Smash 4 representation given how he's been overshadowed alot by Doc in Melee and will possibly be overshadowed once again in Smash 4 considering he is coming back as Melee Doc without all of the fancy Melee tech stuff like L-Cancel or Wavedash... Both Paper Mario and Mario are my boys.

4theRECORD

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2878-9708-8635
the heck?

It's not like his series is dead or something. There's actually a leak pointing towards an IS game where the leaker is a credited IS programmer and he said he worked on sticker star, game and wario and 3 other games that I have no clue what they are. This was on September LAST YEAR! It's aWiiU game and after almost a year, I think we should see it announced at one point.

Hope it's Paper Mario :) btw, pushmo world isn't that game because the leaker said he wwas working on it which imply to see the name "James Anderson" in the credits and it didn't.

It still not known what is this game, but the source is credible.

So, he's not dead, just not in smash4.

Like, I know it's shocking not lying even for me, but don't exaggerate :)
bro, mind if you give me a link before locked?

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Patches confirmed for Smash 4.

How does this affect DLC chances and more importantly, the chances of the one, true Great Gonzales' chances of appearing as such?
I'm just going to let it slide because I'm really sceptical if he's a trophy.

So, I have no opinion on the matter.

ARE YOU SERIOUS???

THE MUSIC CHANGES PER PHASE???

Times 2 because 2 tracks.

Wow, now, I CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS!!!

bro, mind if you give me a link before locked?
it might not get lock if it goes as I want, but here it is:

http://nintendoeverything.com/intel...-unannounced-wii-u-title-on-linkedin-profile/

Google Intelligent system and his name and you get tons of media articles. This has been known for a long time and I stopped talking about it with how crazy it became with the stage and such, but I did talked about it a lot of time way before on the thread.

So, I have reported my OP with some instructions for admin to make the transition on this thread instead of wasting it and make a new one. I really hope it will happen because we could use this thread for general series talk while not loosing its greatness that it had before. And I still manage OP and stuff so it would be the best case.

The OP would not get lost but just not t=in the true first post and instead in the second in collapse. It has to not be on the first post because I can`t edit it properly even if I collapse it, it needs its own post for convenience.

And of course, the first post will be completely changed and it means that the OP you see would be on second post and not in the first one so, completely new OP.

I`m waiting for a PM, but it should be quick. I would really love this thread to still serve as I invested so much in it and I can still do for something that has to do with his series outside of smash. There's a lot of stuff I didn't talk because it wasn't smash related so, great stuff.

I hope it will go smoothly. I'm very busy managing the deconfirmation and this transition.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93

@6:29

That Rogueport remix is PHENOMENAL. That couldn't get any better if it tried.

TTYD was given justice. <333333333333333333

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

@6:29

That Rogueport remix is PHENOMENAL. That couldn't get any better if it tried.

TTYD was given justice. <333333333333333333
They actually could have made it better.

They skipped the best part.

Wonder if I'm the only one who noticed that, but it's really obvious and it makes it feels a little weird.

Like, I don't get why they remixed it, but I don't get why they skipped a big part. It sorta made a bad transition.

Still, REALLY good if I forget that. Because, everything before the cut is well made, but again, it never beats the original.

Tough, now, I'm affraid, but I think that now, spm got no repping.

That's so weird, if I can get this thread to a general talk, I'll tell you more after.

EDIT: WOW, they skipped so much.

Like, they skipped the best 30 seconds of the music, that's huge. Those 30 seconds were actually the most memorable part of it.

The problem I have with it is the transition...you feel that something got in your head and really doesn't seems to belong here.

Like, I don't get why they put the end instead of cutting the music in the middle.

As for sounds, sorry, but I need an HD version because now, it sounds really not what the original tried and I'm sure it may be due to mp3...I hate mp3.

So, if someone gets a video in 720p or better, tell me.

Last edited:

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787

Thanks for your answers!
I was hoping you would say something like this! I really want a thread to talk about all things Paper Mario :grin:

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
The music on the PM stage is glorious.
Sorry, but if you're talking about the medley, I don't like it.

The only TTYD part is really not feel like TTYD because several sounds were cut + the best art of the music is replaced by a bland transition. As for the 2 Sticker star section, first is just bland and second is the same. Anyway, I didn't like the ost of sticker star, but those tracks aren't good choices.

And try try is not Paper Mario related, but I don't like it too.

So, are you talking about another music?

Because I disagree if you don't.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Sorry, but if you're talking about the medley, I don't like it.

The only TTYD part is really not feel like TTYD because several sounds were cut + the best art of the music is replaced by a bland transition. As for the 2 Sticker star section, first is just bland and second is the same. Anyway, I didn't like the ost of sticker star, but those tracks aren't good choices.

And try try is not Paper Mario related, but I don't like it too.

So, are you talking about another music?

Because I disagree if you don't.
I liked the medley. But I shrug.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I'm just excited because the WHALE FROM 64 MADE AN APPEARANCE.

GUYS, TUNA CONFIRMED FOR SMASH 3DS.
I agree the stage is very awesome, but honestly, I don't think there will be mention of spm and this was quite a small on PM64 and just that is surprising.

Btw, it confirms random hazards with the blooper.

I'm hyped for the stage really hyped, but not the medley.

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
I think the Rogueport mix is very good. Could have had a little more creative liberty with it.. but, still good!

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
The stage will only stay on S.S. Flavion for about a minute, it'd be impossible to remix the entire Rogueport theme into it. Half the song would be cut off when it's time for the Bowser's Castle segment.

Top Bottom