• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Thinner character, bigger appeal!" Paper Mario for SSB4; Thread migration soon!

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Some people are dumb.

What some people dont get (these being people who never played a single Paper Mario game or played one and got nowhere fast, gave up) is that Paper Mario wouldnt be just another Mario clone, he could have a completely different moveset and attributes! Have most of his attacks based of his hammer and badge moves, have his special moves based off his partners, he could fold in to a plane and glide, etc. Attributes - he would be kinda light but fall faster than you think, or be floaty cuz he's fricken paper, etc. Lots and lots of possibilties here and I would definitely favor him over the other Mario.

My SSB4 Most Wanted New Characters Top 5:
1. Amaterasu from Okami
2. Ridley from Metroid
3. Geno from Super Mario RPG Legend of the 7 Stars
4. PAPER MARIO!!!
5. Ashley from Wario Ware

Tweezer Salad

Smash Apprentice
Paper Mario is someone I thought should have been included way back in Melee. Would have traded Dr.Mario for Paper Mario for sure. The original Paper Mario had come out that same year Melee was released too, he was a hip new idea at the time, they missed their opprotunity.

If he were to be in SSB4, he wouldnt just be a mario clone like others have said, he's got so many unique abilites. Theres a new game coming out (can't wait) that might boost his chances.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Paper Mario is someone I thought should have been included way back in Melee. Would have traded Dr.Mario for Paper Mario for sure. The original Paper Mario had come out that same year Melee was released too, he was a hip new idea at the time, they missed their opprotunity.

If he were to be in SSB4, he wouldnt just be a mario clone like others have said, he's got so many unique abilites. Theres a new game coming out (can't wait) that might boost his chances.
Paper Mario was released approximately a month before Melee began developement. That means Melee was argueably his worst chances if you only count the period he was in existance, because he had been made a little while ago. Plus, they were looking for an easy clone in Dr. Mario. The Paper series wasn't the same series it is today, and while not churning out games, it's still being continued, which is more then you can say for several series already in Smash. It really comes down to whether or not Sakurai has actually played a paper mario game. He lacks the fan suppport that's required for someone with as many games as he has to get in, so his only chance is if Sakurai knows him and likes him. I would be quite happy to see him in, simply because he offers a lot more then other potential Mario newcomers (except the King, but it really falls on the individual whether or not he's a Mario character).

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Of course he's a mario character.

Doc was a mario character, and toon link is a zelda character.

Paper mario would be a mario character.

I don't want paper mario anyway. Just like I don't want toon link

Omega-Smasher

Smash Cadet
The two best choices for Mario Characters are Bowser Jr./Shadow Mario & Paper Mario. I just want the two to be in the new SSB installment.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Paper Mario is at least third in my top list of wanted characters... He would be amazing and I'm 99% sure he'll be in

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430

Er, in the parenthesis, I was referring King K. Rool. I know Paper Mario is a Mario character, the same way DK and Wario are Mario characters. King K. Rool is a little different, because it can be argued that while the DK series is a spin-off of Mario, barring super sluggers, he only appeared DK ones. I think he's a Mario character myself, but I know some don't.

pokémoneinstein

Smash Cadet
No, TTYD's paper mode (turning to the side) would be his stationary dodge. His rolling dodge (what I assume you're referring to here) would probably either be TTYD's tube mode, or his dash animation (Z-Button) from the original N64 game.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3

Blasphemy! How could you say such things!
Anyways I have to disagree with you because Toon Link is considerd a Zelda character because all Zelda games are few and far between, each and everyone of them are classics because they follow the same formula. The games Toon Link appear in arent much different than the games other Links appear in except for plot and place. Paper Mario games on the other hand differ vastly from the norms of other Mario games in genre and look. Enough to warrant him his own symbol to go behind his damage counter. Doctor Mario is just Mario in another costume on a side job. Paper Mario has its own worlds and characters seperate from other Mario games, giving it its own unique personality! I wouldnt play seriously as Mario but I'm going to main Paper Mario if he gets in!

Paper Mario is at least third in my top list of wanted characters... He would be amazing and I'm 99% sure he'll be in
YES! That's the attitude I like to hear!

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
The Great Gonzales joins the battle

The Paper Mario spin-off is going to have a fourth installment this month. The series is the more original and fun of all the rpg side of the Mario franchise, which is pretty big actually, so it would be nice to have a rep. And Paper Mario is here for that.

General overview
Paper Mario is obviously very different from his counterpart Mario. For starters, he's slower, and his normal jumps are shorter. Another difference from Mario is that his moveset his a lot more complicated and needs more time to master. Also, he's only in part skill-based, since some of his moves are luck-related, similar to Mr. Game & Watch playstyle.
For example, one of his more interesting ability revolves around meteor jumps. Paper Mario is the only character capable of damaging the opponent with this move, but that's not all. He's also the only one which is capable of doing more meteor jumps on a single opponent one after another. If the player is able to get three consecutive meteor (one causes more damage than the previous, with 2%, 5% and finally 10% with the last one) jumps on one or more opponents, a special ability is triggered. A roulette will pop out on the screen, like it happened in The Thousand Year Door. Three icons will appear randomly, trigging different effects if they're all the same. For example, three mushrooms will heal Paper Mario completely, three poison mushrooms though will boost is damage to 300%. The most rare effect will arrive with three Stars: Paper Mario will become invincible for 15 seconds.
Paper Mario is also able to glide, transforming into Paper Plane. He's not very easy to control in this form, but he can cover a big distance.
When he swims, he transforms into Paper Boat. This doesn't cause much, it's just a funny feature.

Special Moves

Neutral B move: Fire Hammer. From Thousand-Year Door. You can see it in action at 3:00 here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s68brsIljVU
Paper Mario gets his Hammer and gets in position to hit a little flame which will appear over him and will slowly fall to the floor. The damage from this move depends on when you'll release the B button. In fact, if you simply push the B button once, Paper Mario will hit the opponent with a swing, causing little damage (6-7%). If you hold B, you have the chance to hit the flame, which will spin till the end of the platform in which you stand, causing more damage every opponent it touches (10% the first, 20% the second and 30% the third).

Up B recovery move: Spring Jump. From Thousand-Year Door. You can see it in action at 0:20 here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s68brsIljVU
This recovery move it's incredibly useful when you have to come back vertically, but it doesn't move much to left or right. It's similar to Luigi's Up B in that way, but it can reach a much higher position. It can be triggered simply pressing the buttons, and in that case the jump won't be very high and fast, or by holding the buttons for max 4 seconds. If you do this, Paper Mario's Up B is absolutely the move that can get you higher in the entire game. If you hold B as much as you can though, it has side effects. For example, if jumping this way Paper Mario hits a platform which stands over him, he will crash against it damaging himself (5%). When this happens, he simply floats down flat and hopeless: he can't move till he touches the ground again. Funny thing though, if some opponent is on the platform in the moment in which Paper Mario does this move, the opponent will trip and get a damage of 3%. Also, Bo-bombs on the platform will explode and some other items will be activated this way.

Side B move: Party Help. This is probably the most random move in the game, since it has 8 different results. In fact, when you press it, a random party member from all Paper Mario installments (2 for each game, including Sticker Star) will appear, all with a different move. Since Sticker Star is not out for now, I'll be able to explain the moves of only six of them, but I'll eventually edit the topic when I'll have the fourth game. Paper Mario can obviously use one member at a time.
Here are the members:

Kooper from the original Paper Mario. When he pops out, Paper Mario will jump on his shell and he'll move along the platform hitting the opponents. His damage is slightly lower than the normal green shell item, and he doesn't throw the opponents that far.

Bombette from the original Paper Mario. When she's thrown by Paper Mario, she does a few steps and then explodes. The damage is the higher from all the party members, but she's also the easier to avoid. If thrown off a ledge, she explodes only if she hits an opponent: this strategy could turn out pretty useful.

Yoshi Kid from Thousand-Year Door. Yoshi Kid can gulp an opponent like the normal playable Yoshi. When he's out, he'll run to the nearest opponent and try to gulp him (max twice, if he fails both he'll just disappear). After this, if there's another opponent on the ground, he'll spit the first towards the other. If he hits, the damage is pretty high for both opponents. The damage is double if one of the opponent is wearing a Metal Box. Also, the bigger the first opponent is, the higher the damage will be (for example, Ness causes 10%, King Dedede causes 17%).

Ms. Mowz from Thousand-Year Door. She acts like Yoshi Kid, pretty much. She'll run to the next opponent and kiss him. This does little damage (2-3%), but it will confuse the opponent, making him unable to move for 3/4 seconds. Also, if the opponent has an item, Ms. Mowz will steal the item and give it to Paper Mario. This can't happen with items like Bunny Hood or Metal Box though, but could be pretty funny to steal a Poké Ball, for example.

Barry from Super Paper Mario. When he comes out, he'll sorround Paper Mario with a spike shield for 5 seconds. When in this situation, Paper Mario can still be hit by items or long-ranged attacks, but if an opponent tries to reach him he will be damaged (4%). Basically this party member gives Paper Mario the opportunity to quickly grap some item or simply stand still. He's the only party member which can be substituted in any moment: if you don't need him, just press side-B again and Paper Mario will use another member.

Thudley from Super Paper Mario. With this Pixl, Mario makes a ground pound vertically. When he touches the ground, a little earthquake will happen causing damage, similar to Bowser's or King Dedede's bomb but not that strong.

Down B move: Recovery / Level-Up. This is a special and complicate move. Basically, with this ability Paper Mario is able either to recover some health or increase his attack/defence stats. It can't be done everytime though. To do this Paper Mario must obviously damage the opponents or kill them if possible. Also you can do this by taunting, like in the original games, winking to the audience. After doing this for a bit, he'll start to glow like Samus or Donkey Kong when they have charged their attacks. It's impossible to decide the effects, but essentially if Paper Mario has high damage (say 70%), he'll most likely heal (max 15%, the number is random but basically the more damaged you are, the more you recover). In that case, you'd probably prefer to wait after getting knocked-out, and when you'll come back to the stage with 0% damage, you'll use it obtaining a boost in attack/defense (always of 1% at a time for both). This effect it's endless. If you boost your stats of, for example, 3%, they'll stay this way till the end of the match. Anyway you can boost your attack maximum of 8% (reaching "level 8" max), same goes with the defense (max of 4%, reaching "level 4"). It's a move that requires strategy. If you boost your defense stat at max, and an opponent's move causes 3% damage, you actually won't get any damage. In this case, Paper Mario will simply stand still and vibrate a little bit, like the animation from the original games.

Final Smash

Paper Mario's final smash is NES Mario, from Super Paper Mario. He'll become bigger and invulnerable, destroying everything that touches. It lasts 10 seconds. You can see it at 0:38 here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mm_gg-mhnM&feature=relmfu

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Yeah I know, I just thought he deserved a fan-made moveset at least. I haven't finish it actually, I'm tired for now. I have ideas for items and stages too. If you want to merge the topic it's OK, but the other OP was kinda little.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Paper Mario: Sticker Star is out today. I just downloaded it from eShop. Gonna play it to get some ideas for a Paper Mario stage.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I would really like to get sticker star. Unfortunately, I have to wait...I might have it by the end of the week

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It took me a while to get the joke

In the 80's and 90's the thing was that Mario was an Italian American from Brooklyn rather than just an Italian

shadowdude

Smash Apprentice
i agree about paper mario i made a thread not knowing about this one and had it pointed out to me.i said a rather long comment,really long about his possible move set in a thread called could paper mario be in ssb4.

Robotic Wind

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Grey Walrus
I need to make a paper mario moveset but I do think paperize would be his final smash. I'm not sure how it would work right now but it could work well...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm not sure but didn't Sticker Star have poor or disappointing sales? Wouldn't Sakurai rethink about Paper Mario and opt for another character from a Mario game that sold very well?

:phone:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's the overall quality I think. And Paper Mario definitely has that. I actually really liked Super Paper Mario. The platforming part was really cool, and was very refreshing.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I disliked Super Paper Mario. It felt like TL;DR: The Game to me. But it was nice to be able to play as Luigi, Peach, and Bowser.

If I were to rank my top favorite to least favorite Paper Mario games:

Thousand-Year Door
Paper Mario
Sticker Star
Super Paper Mario

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, the fact I could play as Peach, Luigi and Bowser really made it awesome for me. Also the parts where you turn into your 8bit version of the character and wreck rampage. Level design was also pretty clever, and I liked the story quite a bit, even if it's totally un-Marioish. Only played SPM and TYD, so can't really give a rating of which games I liked better. But they're even for me.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I just realized... There's always been one Mario RPG game per console since the SNES. Imagine how Paper Mario Wii U would look in HD. I think it would utilize the Game Pad somehow.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
Sticker Star was terrible. TERRIBLE. And Super Paper Mario was my second favorite behind TTYD, which had to be one of the best GameCube games made. I just think it's logical that he make it in.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
and I liked the story quite a bit, even if it's totally un-Marioish.
Paper Mario stories tend to be un-Marioish. As I understand, one of the biggest complaints about Sticker Star was that the story was just a generic Mario story.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yes, but hopefully he'll keep a style that's not overly... Radical. It'd be cool with attacks like jumps and hammers, and maybe Paper Plane for Up B. But stickers, allies, and badge unique attacks go a little too far I think. Keep it simple and nice. I would really wanna see Paper Mario along with Toad as new Mario characters.

BerryBomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BerryBomber
Along with his jumps, I think he should have a glide jump. When you hold the jump button he folds up into a paper airplane.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
Paper Mario stories tend to be un-Marioish. As I understand, one of the biggest complaints about Sticker Star was that the story was just a generic Mario story.
I don't like sticker star because of the battle system. It's really aggravating to have to do over and over, and the fact that there's no leveling system bugs me too. They could have done waaaay better with it.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I don't like sticker star because of the battle system. It's really aggravating to have to do over and over, and the fact that there's no leveling system bugs me too. They could have done waaaay better with it.
Haven't played it myself, so I can't say, but the most commont complaint is the fact that the quirkiness(for lack of a better word) that defined the PM series is missing.

Top Bottom