• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Thinner character, bigger appeal!" Paper Mario for SSB4; Thread migration soon!

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Pros:
  • Possible new mechanic introduced.
  • First partner summoner(unless you count Pac-Man as one).
  • First time a Mario RPG received love in a character.
  • Somewhat popular character.
  • Possible unique moveset.
  • Paper Mario as a character, could bring more content from Paper Mario(stages, music, enemies, etc).

Cons:
  • His inclusion would most likely murder the chances of highly popular characters like Bowser Jr. or Toad.
  • Could possibly be a clone(which would be a waste).
  • Alternate Mario(which isn't so bad once you realize that we have two Links, two Zelda's, and two Samus's).
Well... you got a little broader that I would but the thing is the cons aren't really a problem (except the first one because it's subjective and depends who you prefer).

But add the paper artstyle as pros. I don't know for you but playing as a piece of paper does sound appealing to me.

On a side note (yeah this thread needs more topic), I just ripped all the text in the TTYD disc. Total: 2mb for texts, that's a lot. I formatted them nicely in one file so I'll get a read of it soon (there's unused text there and I think some are telling that they were bugs). Pretty interesting.

It impress me how much work can be done into a game but seeing texts as detailed as this isn't common for Nintendo today. I enjoyed the effects and the font (btw, why not referencing this in ssb4? That would be SO cute) :)

FriskyFritter

Smash Rookie
I still think that a Paper Mario stage(literally, stage xD) would be perfect. The crowd interacting with the players and everything. Would be tons of fun!

Snipe

Smash Cadet
Nice movesets. Some other moves that could also be added to Paper Mario could be these:

Down-A: Paper Mario pulls the floor from underneath the opponent like the many loose floors throughout the Paper Mario games, but instead of spin jumping it out, he pulls it out instead to cause damage.
Neutral-Air: Paper Mario will summon Watt to electrify anyone around him, giving a little bit of multi-damage and paralyzing his enemies for a good amount of time so he can perform a follow-up attack.

Forward-Air:
Paper Mario summons Lady Bow to smack his opponents multiple times with her fan
Back-Air: Paper Mario does some back flip while moving behind like his stylish move, doing some damage and knockback.
Up-Air: Paper Mario does a small spring jump that causes Mario to spontaneously move up a short distance, sending enemies upward
Down-Air: Paper Mario spin jumps and does quite a bit of damage, but it has some starting lag. It's best to use after a neutral air to do even more damage and since the enemy will be paralyzed, you have just enough time to do it (this move will spike enemies).
Down-Grab: Paper Mario summons Vivian to bring his foe into the ground, resulting in the opponent receiving fire damage after popping up from the ground.
Neutral-B: Paper Mario enters unto a thinking state where he looks thoughtful while being vulnerable. A horizontal scroll bar appears where his feet are with a little stick tilting from left to right under it. While still holding down-B, you will have to select the partner with your stick and releasing down-B once you're done (this includes menu sounds effects from TTYD). If you are hit, you will have more lag than usual and instantly cancelling the switch. If you manage to get the switch, the icon will go near his HUD spot switching the one that was there before while you're exiting this state (very quick). You will have to use this move while you're away from your opponents because it can become very risky otherwise but the reward you get is a new special move. When the partner is attacking, Paper Mario can do whatever he wants but some moves has some summons lag which only affects the partner. Every partner is all set to counter different situations. They are on the background of the stage but don't move. You only see them after you use his attack. These are the partner with their respective actions:
Goombella: She will jump in front of Paper Mario and tries to land on an enemy. She will only be able to bonk one time and it does little to good damage, depending on how long you charge (charging increases the range). She’s also your default partner which means that you can use her right away without switching. This attack is really quick however. This move works both on the ground and the air, and hits in a slope rather than a straight line.
Koops: This move has a little starting lag since Paper Mario has to hop a little when his shell appears, but after he stomps on it, Koops will go forward hitting all the enemies in front of Mario with decent damage, good knockback, and high-medium range. This is a two action move where the first initial hit will send Koops horizontally, hitting foes and spinning in place where he stops. The second initial hit requires Mario to press side-B again, returning Koops and hitting any enemies between Mario and Koops. This move can be used in the air too, so Koops will spin in the air, waiting for the second command (this can be used strategically to set traps).
Admiral Bobbery: Will walk slowly at medium distance before stopping and charging to explode with great force that greatly damages enemies near him, effectively breaking shields also. However, it is a laggy move as Bobbery must charge before exploding, but if the attack hits, the reward is great damage to enemies with high knockback. In the air, Paper Mario will throw him until he reaches the ground and then proceed to charge. Bobbery can be manually detonated by pressing side-B again (Bobbery is a solid entity, so players can't just walk past him).
Up-B: Paper Mario crumples downward like an accordion and uses his spring jump with his ultra boots, but does not “turn gray” until he activates his glide, making him unique in the recovery aspect of the game.
Down-B: Paper Mario holds his fist with an angry face for a tiny amount of time, preparing himself. If any foes attack him while in this state, he will spin with his fist up with a “great” blocking sound and text from ttyd. This makes the enemy receive strong damage. This is basically a counter, but it has good ending lag.
Final Smash:
Paper Mario summons the ruby stars and goes above on it out of sight. The camera will be centered and fixed and the text at the bottom in TTYD font will say: "Draw around the enemy as many time as you can!" and a little ruby star appears in the centre of the screen. This act like a cursor and you need to do circles around the enemies but the trick is if they touch your line, it will break but the cursor has a fast speed. You can do this for multiple enemies at once and doing will make the text "nice" or such appears. The damage is strong and has a lot of knock back that has a high chance of KO on decent percentage. After 30 seconds, the final smash ends. This move could change the Wii U gamepad to mirror the television so the player could draw the circles quickly on the gamepad (ttyd remake anyone?).
Shield: Instead of a regular shield, Mario uses Barry to shield himself for a second, which causes a little damage and stun from the spin. After Barry disappears in a second, a regular shield takes his place.
Crouch: Crouches in his defense stance like in Paper Mario ttyd.
Jump: Exactly like Mario, but the second involves him folding a little while spinning with one of his hands up in a fist.

Gliding: He transforms into a paper plane and glides horizontally, turning back to normal after jumping or attacking. His attack coming out of plane form could be Rawk Hawk’s jump kick.
Up Taunt: Mario puts both of his hands up and confetti starts falling down out of nowhere (like when Mario does a stylish move with his hammer in ttyd)
Footstool: If Paper Mario footstools someone, he will give a tiny amount of damage with a small text that says “1” (even less than his neutral aerial). It's just a little reference not designed to be one of his main attacks.
Costumes:
If changed to certain costumes, Goombella can switch with Goombario, Koops can switch with Kooper, and Bobbery can switch with Bombette. Mario’s costume consists of Paper Luigi, Paper Wario, Paper Waluigi, Paper Ice Mario, and Paper Fire Mario.
Stages:
Paper Mario’s stage is pretty much a stage from ttyd, and the audience cheers for the leading player. The audience can throw hazards (rocks, bones, etc.) and good items (food) at you. Events can also happen, such as a bucket or a giant bolder rolling down. This stage also switches backgrounds (for example, The Great Tree to Glitzville) when the curtains fall, which allows players to be able to only see their silhouette for a few seconds before going back up and switching the background (each background may have different audiences and events). This is where Goombella/Goombario is able to tattle on other players when Paper Mario taunts quickly enough, which makes Goombella/Goombario give the description and percentage of the tattled player in a humorous manner. Lastly, when any player taunts (appeals), the crowd grows in favor of that player and throws star energy at him/her to show which player is more likely to have good items thrown at them.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So, sorry if I can't check this thread as often as weeks ago but I recently had a surgery on my mouth and it's now way better than last week so don't worry about me :)

Though, since I became to be bored, I started to check things I didn't had time to on TTYD when I was glitch hunting it. What is really interesting is that if you think that IS can't do a game like this again (remake don't count but seriously if we got oot, we can get TTYD), well, the game was going to be even better than the final version. There's quite a lot of unused contents (lots of texts, partners, enemies, music, items and even debug + test content). The later gave me a funny thing; a test mail. For those who never played this game (in which case go here -> http://www.ebay.com/ ), you receive mails during the games. Some of them are actually hilarious but on the file global.txt, which contains global texts including all mails, this can be read:

msg_mail_test

Designer
Paper Mario and Paper
Mario 2 3-D Level
Designer. Big gamer.
Gets restless when not
gaming. Can't tell
difference between
Brett and Bert.

Like wth is this? TTYD was originally called Paper Mario 2 but who is Brett and Bert? Also, "Big gamer. Gets restless when not gaming." is just lol. Though, this can explained why this game is so good :)

Now, I will be investigating the battle system but what I want to talk more is music as rep.

I'm doubtful. I don't know if it's that much good but I consider about saying that TTYD had my favourite ost. From the literal beginning to the literal end, the os kept his style and being constantly good. The number of vgm that got into my head before realizing that they were memorable is, I think, the most out of all games I played. Usually, some song get into my head and I still love them (like earthbound sanctuary guardian) but TTYD is another story: most of the music got into my head and no music shouldn't be there. Most of the boss music, intro + title screen, location, events and we believe in you mario with ending musics, ALL of them was just awesome overall. It's even better, there's a unique style in the sound of those music that makes you identify it as a TTYD music right away. It's rare to see ost like this one but now, ssb needs to do justice with SSE away.

First game has good music. Not all of them is memorable but some really deserves mentions (at least remix is always possible).
TTYD already explained just want to add that remix is less possible (some are just too good with the original and we believe in you mario can't be remixed in my eyes).
SPM I need to hear the full ost because this definetly not bad. In fact, some music I've heard sounds awesome (favourite is ultimate show which is very good). Still don't know why I see more love for this music than we believe in you mario but anyway, good ost here.
Sticker star Same for above but... What I've heard sounds "not fitting with anything". What I mean is that I don't get the feel of the music I heard like that the music shouldn't be there or not properly done. Though, the game seeming to be slightly rushed may has to do with this but please, if Aonuma had to hide wind waker from myamoto before confirming the idea, IS may have to hide the next paper mario for wiiu. I wonder what would've happened if myamoto did indeed saw wind waker before aonuma was ready to show him...

The series has an overall great ost, but I just want to know one thing: if you had to pick only one music from the entire series and put in in ssb, which one it would be? For me, it would normally be we beleive in you mario but since this is ssb after all, I would pick the final shadow queen battle in TTYD. What about you? It doesn't have to be a battle music (though hey don't move would make the most awkward battle ever).

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
Oh man you're making me choose my favorite musical piece if I could only choose one? Well......probably this underrated gem!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSZg0L5HUUE
Bowser's Boss Battle from TTYD! This one's a personal favorite!

BUT, if I had to choose one to satisfy the fans and it couldn't be "We Believe in you Mario!" or "Shadow Queen Final Phase" then probably Rawk Hawk's theme for the Boxing Ring! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-lmaPnnD4g

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Oh man you're making me choose my favorite musical piece if I could only choose one? Well......probably this underrated gem!:

BUT, if I had to choose one to satisfy the fans and it couldn't be "We Believe in you Mario!" or "Shadow Queen Final Phase" then probably Rawk Hawk's theme for the Boxing Ring! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-lmaPnnD4g
I really liked the Final Bowser Battle Theme.
Gosh, I can't think of my favorite song. . . I'll have to come back to this later :laugh:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Sign me up as a supporter.

I've adored the Paper Mario games ever since I was a kid, and Paper Mario was one of those characters that I really wanted to see playable for Brawl. I still want him for SSB4, but my hype for most characters has been tempered somewhat now.

One thing I would like to see Paper Mario do is a codec taunt like Snake for the rest of the roster. Goombario, Goombella, or even Tippi could make a cameo and explain to Mario who he's fighting like they did in the games.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
One thing I would like to see Paper Mario do is a codec taunt like Snake for the rest of the roster. Goombario, Goombella, or even Tippi could make a cameo and explain to Mario who he's fighting like they did in the games.
I would love for this to happen. I don't think Snake will be returning, so Paper Mario would be the perfect character to take his place.
Someone should come up with Goombella's tattle logs for Smash characters.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

Underrated? I don't know why this is really good. Mostly because of the contrast between really intense + fast beat vs serious + average beat. It's like the opposite of gygas means business which is good because the music starts right away and you get the serious feel after. I liked gygas means business but it's annoying how long it takes to starts. One thing I really hate about ost is when they are good but you have to wait it's so annoying. Though, there's rare exceptions like pokemon x/y gym leader battle where the time it takes to start is the whole reason that the music is so good and I found that quite impressive.

But yeah it is a good one.

I really liked the Final Bowser Battle Theme.
Gosh, I can't think of my favorite song. . . I'll have to come back to this later :laugh:
We believe in you @ Rockaphin Rockaphin :grin:
(I just couldn't resist. I love so much this music any time I need support)

Sign me up as a supporter.

I've adored the Paper Mario games ever since I was a kid, and Paper Mario was one of those characters that I really wanted to see playable for Brawl. I still want him for SSB4, but my hype for most characters has been tempered somewhat now.

Done!

Since your hype is down, allow me to try to fix this

This is so catchy that I could dance for the whole 30 minutes video... for a title theme.

I would love for this to happen. I don't think Snake will be returning, so Paper Mario would be the perfect character to take his place.
Someone should come up with Goombella's tattle logs for Smash characters.
Funny that you said this because well, let me tell you how addicted I am to TTYD.

I said above about a file called global.txt which contains as you expect global texts. However, the whole folder of text is 2.0 mb (for text scale, this is enormous). But the problem is I wanted to read them as I heard there was unused content in those. Since my sight for reading even with special glasses makes it annoying to read for so long on a screen, I decided to use a text to speech program to convert all the texts in wav file that can be listened :p I think all the files last for 80-90 hours!!! but I get to hear the text while sitting comfortably lol. Just global.txt take 9 hours and 15 minutes and it's the biggest txt file and you know why? Because when I listened it, around the half was talking about gombella text in battle and text in the tattle menu. If that sounds crazy, yes I listened the whole file and it was worth it because gombella's tatle are funny (though, location tattle aren't global).

So, I mau try to find tatle ideas in the op but I can tell you the talk style.

She puts quite a lot of attention on names and the reasons to name such an enemy best example, from the file itself, is this:

btl_hlp_basabasa

That's a Swooper.
<wait 250>
I bet they call it that 'cause
of the way it swoops around.
<k>
<p>
<wait 250><dynamic 3>
Wow!<wait 250> That's some AWESOME
naming work. <wait 250>Seriously!
</dynamic><wait 250>
It's <dynamic 3><wait 100>pure naming genius!!!
</dynamic>
<k>
<p>
So,<wait 100> anyway...
<k>

amd then she tells hp blablabla.

... yeah they used <> tag for text effects. wait is determined pause, dynamic is when the letter dynamically go on the bubble (3d effect), k is the end of a bubble and p is going to the next bubble.

She's always trying to tell how annoying she can find the enemy. Best example:

btl_hlp_green_chorobon

That's a Green Fuzzy.
<wait 250>
As you can see, it's a Fuzzy,
and it's green. <wait 250>Duh!
<k>
<p>
Max HP is 5, Attack is 3,
and Defense is 0.
<k>
<p>
This is similar to a normal
Fuzzy, so it replenishes its
own HP as it sucks out ours.
<k>
<p>
<shake>
EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW...
</shake><wait 250>
That is just the grossest
thing ever.
<k>
<p>
...If you don't find that idea
gross, seriously, there's
something wrong with you.
<k>
<p>
The main difference between
this and other Fuzzies is
that this one multiplies.
<k>
<p>
You know, I bet this thing
would look great sitting next
to a Gold Fuzzy.
<k>

shake is making the text shake in a weird fashion.

And my favourite, she pays also attention to to details outside the enemy capability like this one:

btl_hlp_hammer_bros

That's a Hammer Bro.
<wait 250>
You know him.<wait 250> He throws
hammers.<wait 250> Hence the name.
<k>
<p>
Max HP is 7, Attack is 4,
and Defense is 1.
<k>
<p>
When his HP drops and he
thinks he's in trouble, he'll
toss a hammer barrage.
<k>
<p>
Nothing about these guys has
changed: they're tough as
ever, so brace yourself!
<k>
<p>
Dang! <wait 250>This book always skips
the important stuff!<wait 250> How do
they carry endless hammers!
<k>

Ah, I like her texts and that's why they should use them for ssb4.

Just giving people ideas.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I loved Goombario's Tattle Logs on Mario's partners in the dojo.

"It's a Duplighost disguised as Kooper. Max HP: 15 This impostor almost looks better than the original! Ha! Its disguise is pretty much perfect. Its attack power is exactly the same as the character it's imitating. It's probably not very difficult for this Duplighost to disguise itself as Kooper. After all, our pal is pretty unusual looking. It'll attack us with its shell, just like the regular Kooper. You'll have the best luck beating it if you flip it.
"

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So, yeah I listened (again!) the TTYD ost. I realised that they are so good that you need to have wav file from the original because the quality is ridiculously high. There's some music that have background noise (more details later) that makes me feel like someone got into my house or that someone is calling me. Surround ftw!

But now, I got why those music sounds so different. Did you notice that most of the ost have noise or imaginative ambient sound? Like hey don't move this is the best example. Listen carefully:

Yeah it's funny and awkward but why it works so much? If you paid close attention, you should be able to hear sort of random and weird noise that really have absolutely no fit with the main track. Ironically, this is why it's so funny and awkward which makes this a good track. The thing I noticed, is that most of the music uses that idea. Here's some example:

The quiz music: minor details are details but out of all quiz music I heard (this includes IRL), it's the most fitting. Why? Because not only the main track sets the "answering" atmosphere but in the background, you hear some sound effects that I can't describe but alone, they seem to be random. What they do is that by echoing, they mix the main track with a pression atmosphere which is the best combination for the original purpose.

The cortez song (can be applied to the keyhaul key one though): Again, you get a mix because of the noise and sounds. The main track sets the vilan/pirate atmosphere and right after, you have what i think is bongo but they sort od stay in the background with random timing (not even following the main track). That's because it's meant to be silent enough to stay in the background but random enough to give the feel of a jungle area. Again, perfect mix for its purposes.

The luigi story music: Really obvious one. It's really similar to the hey don't move one. Though, here, it's meant to be a more long term funny music as you read long texts. At the beginning, it;s even quite confusing to know what is sound and what is the main track because they are almost at the same level which makes a weird feel. It's actually very interesting that it's the only music that stays for those texts because normally, a different music is played whe a cutscene is occurring.

The Title screen: Yeah there's some instruments but listen carefully most of the music are sounds, Especially at the beginning before the main track. Even after, you hear ransom noises for the full song (even more obvious at one point), The only time you won't hear noises is the piano solo which is a good end. It does make the music a lot better because it like prompts you to almost dance like you were in a party (maybe that is the purpose after all). I think it's the game showing you the excitement you should have to start a file because to my knowledge, it's so rare to see music like this in the title screen, You don't music such a catchy music on a title screen for no reason but here, it's basically to tell how awesome this game is without having you known. Though thinking about it, since you hear it every time to select your file, the music makes more and more sense because you're more and more excited to play, May be too elaborate but that would be brilliant.

And last but not least...

The shadow queen final battle: Yeah one of the most complete boss theme is a lot better because of sounds and noises. But think about it, it really makes sense, let me so a quick dissect of the track. It starts right away with violins only and then, the main track with a progressively agressing background noise. Then, without any warning, the track gets at its most intense point very suddenly. What made this sudden effect is the huge sound that is this time, really agressing even more than danger it even reach the terror level. It's that huge and while it's playing, you have the main track that basically sets the critical feel. The thing about the main track is it began right when you're suddenly aggressed by that huge noise which makes the main track more weight because it just caught your attention. It's basically like when someone REALLY want to tell you an urgent stuff, he will be like "HEY LISTEN TO ME" and then you realise how serious it is. For a music, this is impressive but it gets better.

After that, you have an echo of an intriguing sound which follows the terror part with again, that huge noise at a lower level but on a rythm that gets quickly annoying because... well, try this: play guitar hero on the highest difficulty and then, play the easiest difficulty. You will feel like the notes gets WAY slower than it should even for this difficulty standard. Here, because the sound tries to reach your nerve, it gets even more painful by having the same effect at a slower pace. A beep every second gets less annoying than a beep after 5 second because 1 second is enough for your brain to get used to it while 5 second pretty much gets irritating at one point.

To continue, the best part of the music. The main track gets to its most complete part with the full notes while you hear different sound behind. They are here to keep the same terror feel while the main track makes this even more serious. Then, it's just noises mostly to tell you that you're alone and so, only you can deal with this terror. Violins again and then, we hear the power of suround sound. Especially in my wav file, you can hear a sound coming in circle from 4 points just to immerse you even more. The violins solo at the end reconfirms the tragic part of the terror and then loop.

Remove the sounds and noise and the music is bland. Most music are like these you get a feel with the main track but with sounds and noises, you get another that mix with the main track making the music more representative. I can even tell that there's less instruments than noises but they seem to be mostly used for the intro music and we believe in you mario even though you hear sounds to mix with them.

This style is actually VERY impressive because normally, background track ENHANCE the main track but here, they AMPLIFY its effects and give a little bonus depending on the track. It's like eating with salt or with complement; the former enhancing the taste and the later make the meal more complete while amplifying the taste. It's amazing how sounds can be that important when used correctly.

On a side note, I did investigated on the battle system today and it's intriguing. I said there was evidence of debug menu text in texts file but now, I may have a solid evidence of debiug system being usable. Take this as a fun fact but every time you start a battle, it allocate places for character including mario. So, mario, partner and enemies are allocated in order. If anything happens after, its allocated dynamically but what is interesting is that mario isn't the first slot. It's actually a sort of placeholder/dummy/empty space allocated for nothing vsible on screen.

When it gets serious is that (and I never touched to my hp), is that the hp of the said slot is 999 out of 999 EXACTLY!!! The maximum number that the hp value can hold this obviously isn't coincidence but if it did allocated the space for that thing BEFORE the character you have full control, there must be a reason. My personal theory is that it would be a debug slot when if you use it, you would have access to a debug menu (again, text evidences). Though, it's intriguing to know that every time you start a battle, the game hides you something that could control the whole environment (no joke even saw a text "change parameters" but what parameters?).

What is funny is on every slot, you can put any status even the unused one and get this... an insta dead flag. This is simple but powerful: if it equals 0 you're not dead but if it equals to 1 or more, you are! No joke doing it on yourself goes to the game over screen as soon as you try to do anything. But this works for enemies too and of courses bosses. I'll test more tomorrow but I expect silly result (GUESS TIME: what do you think will happen if you insta dead the first phase of shadow queen?). The answer tomorrow.

Also, @ Rockaphin Rockaphin , did you choose your music? I know how hard it can be like I took a long time to realise that TTYD was the best rpg I've played (couldn't believe that it was THAT good).

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I can't decide between like 3 songs... lol I'll have to do the scientific method just to come to a conclusion. I promise, I'll decide tomorrow before 5pm :p

Edit: Alright, I think my favorite track happens to be this:
The amount of excitement when I finally was able to challenge the champion of Glitzville was astronomical for me. I loved the music and I enjoyed the fight as well.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Everyone! Show your support for your favorite characters!
http://www.ranker.com/list/super-smash-bros-wishlist-of-new-characters-/alexanderray
Thanks Geno Mallow for the poll.

Paper Mario is doing great!
literally just did it before you posted lol :p

Was wondering where you would have linked well I know now.

Though, neutral? Weird because I usually see on this board no talk or some talk about how someone don't like side version (which I made my point in the op on that matter) or some time supporter telling that it's further than toon link (which I agree).

The fact that he has that much vote is weird. Tbh, he's not a commonly talked character but he's discussed only some time randomly (this explains why I'm not that active any more on the character discussion thread). But for that much vote, I didn't expect to be THAT equal and now, I'm wondering if it's the same issue that has the rate their chance thread. Because, in this thread, I see a lot of low rating (arbitrary numbers makes it worst) due to people not caring. I talk about wants not chance here and it seems that I see the same issue.

I think it should be around 65 - 35 or 60 - 40 % for either side but a perfect 50/50 just seems to not fit. I only voted on 3 characters because of it (already said that I hate nobody the least I can get is being sceptical but I know that Sakurai can clear my worries and it happened for 2 characters already). So, just to tell, don't vote for the sake of voting but do it for what you really think and don't vote if you don't care or you're neutral.

But then again, I expected ridley to have way more down votes than this. I guess it's good because its hate is kinda weirdly and abnormally hight even though it shouldn't. I made a big essay on it in his thread a while ago and honestly, he deserves the 1k pages due to how debate conditions got terrible annoying supporters for something that shouldn't even be that big (did a big pun anyway deal with it :) )

So, we'll see, It was released today at noon so I think it will changes but again, vote only if you want him and if you're neutral, there's no button for that so just don't vote (otherwise, I would've down voted everyone else which is bad for those who support).

To answer the question in my last message what happens if you tell the game that shadow queen first phase is dead? The answer: you win the battle as you would for any battle with the same hack but after, it goes to the cutscene after third phase so you beat the game :) I expected the game to crash (because if peach exit the foretress by the topmost door, then it will crash probably because the game can't handle a mario cutscene with peach). Though, it's impossible to skip because if her hp is set to 0, it still go to second phase.

That was your TTYD fun fact of the day. Next would something silly. Give me any enemy and I can upscale them (it's a status). If I did on mario, it's around 3-4 times so it's a big difference. This should work on bosses and I would show a screenshot so, which one do you want? Only works on person fighting on scene.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Add me to that supporters list. I love it.

Going through that feels so good.
Paper Mario would be an awesome addition. He absolutely deserves to be in Smash Bros. I support
All done! (I honestly think I should talk more about the series in general because there's people that says that they wants him but don't post in this thread and I noticed that taking on other thread helps so...)

Speaking of talking, yesterday night, I did talked about spm on the social thread and there's some stuff I wanted to clarify.

I already said that I probably won't play it despite not looking as bad as people say (might even think that it seem underrated). The reason for it is simply because the game itself isn't my taste. First 2 games were RPG which is the main reason why I even started to play them because I love RPG. Second reason is the design I enjoy seeing models in 2d while the environment is in 3d. I can even tell that I wouldn't even play TTYD if it wasn't an RPG in any form (unless it's another genre I would like like zelda adventure style but that's another story).

Here's my problem with spm: it's more a platformer than an RPG and the design is mostly 2d (since 3d is limited, it's most of the time 2d). And I haven't told this on these boards but I can tell you: I SUCK at 2d mario platformer. No joke I tried smw which is a really good game but I'm just way too bad to enjoy it. Even nsmb for wii yes I even suck at this game and it's more recent so can't blame it was designed to be hard (though, smw isn't supposed to be that difficult). 3d mario platformer is another story though (except sm64 I just can't get used to the running mechanics and the camera). I enjoyed sms, smg1 and 2 and the most recent sm3dworld but I usually don't enjoy 2d mario platformer simply because I'm bad. I think this is due to the liberty of controls but I don't know exactly why.

Because spm is mostly a 2d platformer, I expect to be really bad at it. One thing I learned when playing game is that if you play a game that you don't like the core gameplay but has everything that makes it enjoyable (music, story, design, details, etc...), you still won't enjoy it. I probably would love smw if I didn't suck at it because of the design it's really good but the fact that I suck simply takes over so I just can't have the time to appreciate the design.

I hear a lot that spm has a deep story but even with this for me, playing this game would basically waste that awesomeness.

Trust me I lived it when I played majora's mask I enjoyed it but I should have enjoyed it even more. I was impressed how it tried to psychologically immerse the player in an hopeless state and the back in time to save mechanics was brilliant for this purpose. So why I didn't enjoy it as I should have? Because of what I call "structural design" it's not just level design but it's the type of design that manages what the player should have or know at any point of the game.

It's unfortunate but it became frustrating because of little stuff like at the stone tower I need magic for light arrows -> at one point I run out of magic so I need to find jars with magic bottles -> need to go at the dungeon entrance which requires to do 3 elegy of emptiness (yeah that's another thing I was annoyed why do I need to do this 3 times just to enter the dungeon?). Or the water temple which really annoyed me more than the one in oot because in oot, I searched where I need to go but I knew where I could go. In majora's mask, I knew EXACTLY where I need to go but going here was the problem with the current because if you go in the wrong way which can easily be done unintentionally, you have to go back and this wastes so much time.

So, liking the core gameplay and the way it's made is REALLY important to enjoy any game no matter how good and well tough the game is. I'm never going to say that spm is bad because it doesn't even look like it's bad; it looks like it's good. But the reason that I won't play it is because of how the core gameplay isn't my taste; no other reasons and it doesn't even matter if it's a paper mario game because as a game that differs from the previous game, I should take it differently which means that the game itself even as a separate game doesn't interest me.

Sticker star is totally different though. Not only it's not the RPG I would play but also because of how it just doesn't look that good. And that's talking about the series standard but even as a separated game, I don't think it worth playing it for me.

So, with that clear, I am open to spm rep for ssb4 even if I won't play it.

btw, you're welcome spm fans! Sometimes, it's more enjoyable to be in the minority so you don't have to feel ashamed :)

EDIT: Wow completely forgot to tell but the James Anderson leak still lives. Here's the credits of pushmo world:

No James Anderson in sight so, that unannounced game may still be Paper Mario on WiiU. Only time will tell...

Last edited:

Pureownege75

Smash Journeyman
All done! (I honestly think I should talk more about the series in general because there's people that says that they wants him but don't post in this thread and I noticed that taking on other thread helps so...)

Speaking of talking, yesterday night, I did talked about spm on the social thread and there's some stuff I wanted to clarify.

I already said that I probably won't play it despite not looking as bad as people say (might even think that it seem underrated). The reason for it is simply because the game itself isn't my taste. First 2 games were RPG which is the main reason why I even started to play them because I love RPG. Second reason is the design I enjoy seeing models in 2d while the environment is in 3d. I can even tell that I wouldn't even play TTYD if it wasn't an RPG in any form (unless it's another genre I would like like zelda adventure style but that's another story).

Here's my problem with spm: it's more a platformer than an RPG and the design is mostly 2d (since 3d is limited, it's most of the time 2d). And I haven't told this on these boards but I can tell you: I SUCK at 2d mario platformer. No joke I tried smw which is a really good game but I'm just way too bad to enjoy it. Even nsmb for wii yes I even suck at this game and it's more recent so can't blame it was designed to be hard (though, smw isn't supposed to be that difficult). 3d mario platformer is another story though (except sm64 I just can't get used to the running mechanics and the camera). I enjoyed sms, smg1 and 2 and the most recent sm3dworld but I usually don't enjoy 2d mario platformer simply because I'm bad. I think this is due to the liberty of controls but I don't know exactly why.

Because spm is mostly a 2d platformer, I expect to be really bad at it. One thing I learned when playing game is that if you play a game that you don't like the core gameplay but has everything that makes it enjoyable (music, story, design, details, etc...), you still won't enjoy it. I probably would love smw if I didn't suck at it because of the design it's really good but the fact that I suck simply takes over so I just can't have the time to appreciate the design.

I hear a lot that spm has a deep story but even with this for me, playing this game would basically waste that awesomeness.

Trust me I lived it when I played majora's mask I enjoyed it but I should have enjoyed it even more. I was impressed how it tried to psychologically immerse the player in an hopeless state and the back in time to save mechanics was brilliant for this purpose. So why I didn't enjoy it as I should have? Because of what I call "structural design" it's not just level design but it's the type of design that manages what the player should have or know at any point of the game.

It's unfortunate but it became frustrating because of little stuff like at the stone tower I need magic for light arrows -> at one point I run out of magic so I need to find jars with magic bottles -> need to go at the dungeon entrance which requires to do 3 elegy of emptiness (yeah that's another thing I was annoyed why do I need to do this 3 times just to enter the dungeon?). Or the water temple which really annoyed me more than the one in oot because in oot, I searched where I need to go but I knew where I could go. In majora's mask, I knew EXACTLY where I need to go but going here was the problem with the current because if you go in the wrong way which can easily be done unintentionally, you have to go back and this wastes so much time.

So, liking the core gameplay and the way it's made is REALLY important to enjoy any game no matter how good and well tough the game is. I'm never going to say that spm is bad because it doesn't even look like it's bad; it looks like it's good. But the reason that I won't play it is because of how the core gameplay isn't my taste; no other reasons and it doesn't even matter if it's a paper mario game because as a game that differs from the previous game, I should take it differently which means that the game itself even as a separate game doesn't interest me.

Sticker star is totally different though. Not only it's not the RPG I would play but also because of how it just doesn't look that good. And that's talking about the series standard but even as a separated game, I don't think it worth playing it for me.

So, with that clear, I am open to spm rep for ssb4 even if I won't play it.

btw, you're welcome spm fans! Sometimes, it's more enjoyable to be in the minority so you don't have to feel ashamed :)

EDIT: Wow completely forgot to tell but the James Anderson leak still lives. Here's the credits of pushmo world:

No James Anderson in sight so, that unannounced game may still be Paper Mario on WiiU. Only time will tell...
Personally, I think that even those who aren't good at/aren't a big fan of platformers can still find enjoyment out of this game. The platforming is pretty generous. It's not like in standard mario, where if you fall into a pit, you respawn at a checkpoint, in Super Paper Mario, you just come back right next to the pit with 1 less HP. The puzzle aspects provide a much greater challenge than any of the platforming. The game doesn't expect massive amounts of skillful platforming. And as you said, the story is really good, I'd say it's probably the strongest in any Mario Game. I think the game is worth a try at the very least, but I respect if you think otherwise

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
God, I really need to play TTYD, and then change my avatar to Vivian.
You said that on May 10 and you did it yesterday :) I was actually wondering why you changed it. Even me I forgot lol.

Thanks for not forgetting. How's your TTYD playtrough going?

Personally, I think that even those who aren't good at/aren't a big fan of platformers can still find enjoyment out of this game. The platforming is pretty generous. It's not like in standard mario, where if you fall into a pit, you respawn at a checkpoint, in Super Paper Mario, you just come back right next to the pit with 1 less HP. The puzzle aspects provide a much greater challenge than any of the platforming. The game doesn't expect massive amounts of skillful platforming. And as you said, the story is really good, I'd say it's probably the strongest in any Mario Game. I think the game is worth a try at the very least, but I respect if you think otherwise
Oh so it's like TTYD and PM64 then.

Well, I'm thinking about it. Why do I need to pay before trying the game that's annoying (no demo). But then again last time I checked it was 20$ on Ebay so... I'll say MAYBE. Though, for some reason, I didn't started Golden sun because of lazyness.

Euh... that's really though spend a probable week on Golden sun in which I don't know what to expect or playing the last worthy game of Paper Mario series? Since this is to discuss about Paper Mario after all, I'll give you some concern so that you could try to convince me @ Pureownege75 Pureownege75

Why exactly the game went on a segmented rather than a combined approach? I mean about levels (wonder if I should call them chapter). I still don't get this design choice but if you can tell me how it really matters, that would help me. It just seems to remove transition which is just details but I still question it.

Even if you attack enemies in real time, is there any form of strategy? Regular enemies or bosses. It seems to lower it but I don't know if there's little strategy still.

I think I know what you will answer but I just want to be sure: aside from the main plot, is there good humour in the text? I saw 1 funny fourth wall joke in TTYD style but that doesn't tell me about the whole game. Still a music from smb3 named DUM!!! maybe has to do with this. I expect yes but I don't know.

Overall length of the game? (both any% and 100% because I don't know if I will be interested enough for 100% and I don't even know if it exists). Your playtime should be enough.

And now, the question I'm most curious at.

In your words, WITHOUT SPOILING, can you tell me how EXACTLY the story is appealing and deep in that regard? I hear things like Majora's mask but that only tells dark which seems unusual for any mario game (there was some dark part in TTYD but not that much). What I want to know is what kind of darkness? Drama? Plot twist? Tragedy? I don't know if you can go into that much details but I'm really curious. It's kinda weird that the game would be good and the text would be the main reason so that's why I want details.

Other spm fans can try. I'm now open to review but please DO NOT SPOIL ANYTHING. Don't hesitate to put details because I like details :) .

btw, I may change mainly because of the price tag. 20$ is really cheap considering I got TTYD for 40$ (this makes no sense but whatever...).

Like seriously is GC games have THAT much demand to cost twice as wii games? Such a great system.

So, get your comments ready!

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Well, I didn't expect to kill every topic here so here's my apologies by a bump! (it was going to go to third page while I wanted to bring one topic so...)

I noticed that I'm attached to the character not just because I loved so much TTYD but also because of his "personality".

Now, this may sound weird because I kinda find mario to be bland in personality (although, that's less apparent in M&L but still doesn't appeal to me). However, as I said multiple time, I just LOVE the whole artstyle of the series (which even sticker star follows it's really something that is still consistent). So, of course the character does respect that artstyle (this is btw showing graphics as paper only) and there's some reason about why just looking at him appeals to me sou much.

First, I tend to like flashy colors mostly when the colors is unified. It just happens that this artstyle is flashy colors and that goes the same for toon link (which explains why I like him more). Second, just the face he does is more apparent. Look at the image in the op doesn't he look like REALLY joyful to jump? The difference with mario is that it's more apparent because it's a flat structure thus making the forms on the structure a perspective and so, in evidence. Finally, the fact that he's literally a piece of paper lead to some... unusual but interesting animation. Like super/ultra hammer where he folds in a charging fashion. Or spring jump when he folds... like a spring! Add rolling in a tub, airplane and such and it just looks enjoyable to play as him.

This is actually one of the many reason I think he's doesn't look like mario as much as toon link looking like link. Don't get me wrong, he's mario but different enough to be called Paper Mario :)

And that's excluding his potential but on that note, I was wondering one thing that I would like to know from you, the supporters: What do you find the most appealing on Paper Mario as the character that isn't present that much on his counterpart?

It's just one thing that I didn't see talk but I want to know. He's not just worthy because of potential :)

Btw, if you really want to answer my post above, do so via pm because I don't want to kill every topic in this thread for those stuff. It would need more watchers for me to do that safely so... give your support? He won't harm you... unless you're a goomba but that's another story :p

EDIT: Paper Mario on the nintendo 64 is available as a reward for club nintendo members. It's the VC on the wii and even tough I already played it, I just want to tell because it's good game so if you haven't played it, you should take this offer now since you have a month to do so. Should be a good first start if you want to begins to play the series. It's 250 coins.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
WWWWWHHHHHHAAAAT??????

And I tough last week end was bad (lose power Saturday for 24 hours, this thread falling and forum less active) THIS JUST TOTALLY MADE IT!!!

Ok, now, I'm so tempted to link this thread. SO...SO...SO tempted.

Though, it's impossible to tell how I love TTYD in 140 characters so I'll have to skip details.

However, I think it should be wise for every supporter to answer. I don't know but I'm scary that it might be a hidden survey (looking at you club nintendo). Plus, It's been a while that nintendo talk about the series... can we speculate on wiiu? Because not only it's random but also because I just can't identify where the picture come from. I'm tempted to say sticker star but it seems... different. Though, that's grasping at straws but I still have that James leak in my head...

Though, I don't care, the important is that nintendo is sharing love with the series :)

But, where come that pictures? Is it an accessory or something?

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
WWWWWHHHHHHAAAAT??????

And I tough last week end was bad (lose power Saturday for 24 hours, this thread falling and forum less active) THIS JUST TOTALLY MADE IT!!!

Ok, now, I'm so tempted to link this thread. SO...SO...SO tempted.

Though, it's impossible to tell how I love TTYD in 140 characters so I'll have to skip details.

However, I think it should be wise for every supporter to answer. I don't know but I'm scary that it might be a hidden survey (looking at you club nintendo). Plus, It's been a while that nintendo talk about the series... can we speculate on wiiu? Because not only it's random but also because I just can't identify where the picture come from. I'm tempted to say sticker star but it seems... different. Though, that's grasping at straws but I still have that James leak in my head...

Though, I don't care, the important is that nintendo is sharing love with the series :)

But, where come that pictures? Is it an accessory or something?
I don't think we've ever seen that picture before! Wow, I sure hope that's a sneak peak at Paper Mario U! :D

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Linked the thread.

Now, let's see what happens... (if it gets support because of this I swear I will like Nintendo so much).

No really, I'm freaking out. It's been a long time since sticker star got released and it's been a while that they even mention the series. I don't know what it means but it's more positive than negative.

But that picture... wondering if I'm delusional because that is just too good to be true. But then, why not posting a generic picture? btw, this is the image if you want it (maybe avatar?).

Is that weird or I see perspective?

I'm confused, is it sticker star or not?

EDIT: That's the tweet btw:

Time that this thread get some views!!!

EDIT2: Oh, also on facebook :) (going to link there too).

Last edited:

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
Linked the thread.

Now, let's see what happens... (if it gets support because of this I swear I will like Nintendo so much).

No really, I'm freaking out. It's been a long time since sticker star got released and it's been a while that they even mention the series. I don't know what it means but it's more positive than negative.

But that picture... wondering if I'm delusional because that is just too good to be true. But then, why not posting a generic picture? btw, this is the image if you want it (maybe avatar?).

Haha as soon as I get back to an actual computer after my vacation that's definitely my new avatar! I really hope that there's more love like this soon!

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Finally! I just had to comment that TTYD was my favorite! And he should be in Smash, because I say so.

Staarih

Smash Master
That's Paper Mario's amiibo figure

Seriously though, nice of them to acknowledge the series from time to time, even if it doesn't mean anything specific. It would be hard for me to choose my favourite Paper Mario game though, they all have their pro's and con's. TTYD is definitely one of the better ones but I did like the others quite a lot too...

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I like how the comments are exactly what I tough from general opinions :)

PM64: Quite recurring. It's a great game and for the first game, that was a great start. I see some time people liking this game more than TTYD which could be explained byt the fact that PM64 was the base of TTYD so the basic are the same for both games but represented in different ways. I think it's because of the limitations of the n64. Overall, it's mostly because of tastes but I agree that it's a great game.

TTYD: That was expected but it's by far the most loved. Though, I see very common for people to put TTYD as favourite but PM64 as second. It really tells you how the base are very similar but what I can say for sure is that the goal of TTYD was to push PM64 as its maximum details. Which is the reason of why it's so popular: combining the base of the series which in itself is popular and pushing the concept to the full of its potential. Though, people preferring PM64 (mostly putting TTYD second), may also due to nostalgia and we know how such a feeling can be powerful (I bough a gamecube after selling one months after because of it). Basically, most people preferred the first 2 games and a majority of them put TTYD 1st while a quite big minority put PM64 1st. It really depends on your tastes and the experience you got.

SPM: Not very mentioned but it's worth mentioning. However, it actually make sense since SPM is very different from the first 2 so if you didn't like the first 2, chances are that you COULD like SPM. The reason that there's a minority is the mixed review the most people have on the game. Imo, it looks good but most people don't think so. That's quite unfortunate to see some people say that it's awful while it just may not be elaborated too much on his gameplay. Speaking of the gameplay, it didn't remove all the elements from the first 2 games, you still have a partner mechanic. Though, from what I heard about the story, It can worth a try but if someone can answer to my concern I posted above, I may buy the game but now, it doesn't look like it will happen.

I will tell you a little opinion on why making this game make sense but before...

Sticker Star: If I said "not very mentioned" for SPM, this is a lot worse. It's rarely mentioned and if it's not mentioned, it's mostly because people put on the 4th one (SPM would mostly be 3th). Not only that but it's mostly not even close to be better than SPM. There's a lot of hate on this game and honestly, I understand them. Mostly because of the Iwata ask that revealed the reasons behind the decisions of the game. And they are so questionable it's not even funny. Imo, this interview really shows how they weren't aware of the majority because I think even SPM acknowledged that (mostly the story and partner). I'm not even going to bother that using club nintendo as a trusted source instead of social media or fan site was NOT a good idea. For those reasons, I don't think that making this game made sense ESPECIALLY considering that it was going to be a TTYD remake.

Ok, now, I need to tell my opinion on how the series progressed with times and what Nintendo should do for the future because now, I'm a little more confident about those posts.

First, I have to bring this quote from Sakurai:

"It was tough for me to see that every time I made a new game, people automatically assumed that a sequel was coming. Even if it's a sequel, lots of people have to give their all to make a game, but some people think the sequel process happens naturally."

This was said in 2003 when he explained why he left his job at HAL. This is my personal favourite quote out of ANY developer because I can't even stress how true it is. It even happens today (ssb4 isn't even released and I see people mentioning ssb5 like it's going to exist for sure). Now, not only it's true for any series, it's even more true for Paper Mario.

When PM64 was released, I said I found that the game was limited due to the n64. For me, I don't think they could achieve very fluid animation like we saw in TTYD (fun fact, PM64 runs at 30 fps while TTYD runs at 60 fps). The best example is that I don't see any folding but I see animation like if the world was in cardboard instead of paper. Even for Paper Mario himself. This gave me the feeling that even tough the concept was ingenious, it could be improved.

Because of this, a sequel was worth making. If there's a lot of room for improvement, sure it will require a lot of work but the result will justify the effort. But they got way further than I tough...

And that's when TTYD was released some years after but on the gamecube this time which removed a lot of limitations. Now, EVERY aspect was pushed so much that when I look at the overall game, I don't even think it needs to be improved. Sure, there's parts that wasn't that good but on the overall, they can't do better than this. They just pushed the concept so much that it reached the best that it could do. The game is imo what IS was REALLY trying to do with the whole series and they reached that goal. You have to remember that if this game is so detailed, it is NOT a given. That's when Sakurai's quote is so true: this game required amazing efforts for a sequel.

If there's even a 3th game, it just cannot be like the base of PM64. There's not enough improvement possible to justify the result. Even if it happens, it will hurt the series by not bringing too much new and making the series repetitive. TTYD did bring and improved stuff which is exactly what a sequel is supposed to do. This is why the sequel process is far from natural because if a series does have a natural sequel process, it will hurts the series because it will stop to be appealing at one point. So, I don't think they had any choices if they wanted to continue the series: they had to do something different...

That's how SPM came. Of course, since I didn't played the game, I can't review it but I can tell why making the game makes a lot of sense. This is an attempt to change the concept while still keeping some elements of the older one. But because the concept was changed, it wasn't as much detailed as it could be. Which makes sense because when exploring new concepts, you can expect that it won't push it too much since you don't know if it's appealing for the fans. But I see a lot of hate since I don't think my last sentence was understood. People expected a TTYD sequel but like I said, making this would have hurt the series. My issue with that is that people believed that SPM was bad for the series which I don't think it was. In fact, that was probably the best thing to do because they at least TRIED to continue the series. I'm honestly going to say that if it wasn't for this game, the series may have died. Yeah even considering the mixed review and the hate, I don't think IS had any choices: they did what they should have done. Of course, it wasn't that appealing but it was enough to worth a place in the series (according to what I hear even as a minority).

So now, I'm going to say that at this point, it wasn't a good time for the series. If the concept tried on the third game wasn't appealing enough, a sequel on it shouldn't happen. So, what will happen? The only choice was to try another concept but having already tried that and didn't got enough satisfaction, ideas were starting to run out. Even that Iwata ask suggest that (read carefully what IS had to say it's so obvious). Also, I don't think that nintendo was active that much on social media so they had to rely on club nintendo which unfortunately didn't end up being reliable. Then, there was that idea of a TTYD remake scrapped which I will talk about later. So, I don't think the next game could have been better than SPM considering that. What is very interesting though is that they are still ok to continue the series. For me, it shows that IS really care about it but it has to do with the way nintendo uses it. And that was the issue here...

Sticker star was released on the 3DS. And unfortunately, it's the other m of Paper Mario. A game announced to be promising but didn't end to be. In fact, the new ideas running out sort of created a rush to get a good one ready. Because frankly, the game is even less detailed than SPM (but that game makes sense to not be too elaborated). That doesn't even make sense and I think it was the true "fail" of the series not SPM which was more healthy than harmful. I don't know how I can explain it because it's not consistent but they sort of tried to go to the base genre while removing any things that made the concept good and replacing it by something that doesn't even make sense for the genre. If you want: it's a fake RPG. It's sort of presented like it but in it's core, it's not. I still want to remind you that SPM replaced the stuff in the original concept by stuff that makes sense for pltforming while still keeping some RPG one to do a mix. THAT made sense but sticker star DOES NOT. Which makes me wondering why the game was released in the first place?

If this game was a TTYD remake, I however feel it should be on the WiiU and not the 3DS. It's just not the experience I would enjoy that much on a handheld but even if they couldn't develop on WiiU, it makes sense now for this idea to happen at one point and I think that point could be now. TTYD will have 10 years later in the year so there's 2 generations gap here. Remember wind waker HD? The same reason could be used here. So, I don't think this idea will die and it will even helps the series because the gamecube is too old now. For a game that is popular and considered as a masterpiece, it makes sense to reintroduce it.

However, even with this game, I think we have good reasons to be more hopeful now.

Yes I'm going to play with your emotions but from what I see, I have reasons too. It might sounds silly and not even reliable but I had a crazy theory at the beginning of the WiiU life that I think is worth to share.

I will be honest with you, I found the Wii period "bland". I know it made a lot of money but from a person from the gamecube era which I still think it was the best system, it degenerated A LOT in the long run for the fans. That's even more obvious on these boards. It seems that the game decreased in quality more and more as time passed. For example, mp3 was very good but metroid other m got bad reviews. I realised that I had less games that I played on the wii because it was mostly VC. Even ssbb got affected for what I care the most about any ssb games: the general repping (it has to do with SSE but my theory is too long). I feel it's because a lot of project planned for the GC got on the Wii (SPM is one of them). But after that, it just keep decreasing. There's exceptions like smg but overall, it was disappointing.

You know what's even more weird? The same happened on the beginning of the 3DS but not at the same extent. Though, that includes sticker star btw.

I didn't know that the WiiU was going to change that so I almost left playing nintendo games until I saw the direct from months ago talking about it. I saw an interest of getting better but what convinced me right away was that Earthbound re release.

And then, magic happened. I have absolutely no idea why (might be their WiiU philosophy), but AS SOON AS the WiiU released, the opposite happened. I saw a gradual increase of quality and details. The trailers seemed promising but this time, the game announced was! The best example of a game that released recently was mk8. Not only I can't tell you how good it looks but the item balance was very well tough. And it's not only that but I hear positive comments on game like tropical freeze and of course sm3dworld. I played the last one and it's so obvious to see the increase. SSB4 is of course included.

But what made me think that this crazy theory was true, was that E3.

It's way better than last year and that's INCLUDING the smash trailers. Lots of announcement, sounds promising and I even heard that they won that E3. That repping for SSB4 seems way better than brawl and more details. It's now obvious that they are trying to reverse what happened with the wii. And it's exponentially getting better!

So, if you lost fate in nintendo, you will regain it. That's my prediction because my theory just seems to just happen: since they changed their philosophy with the WiiU, the quality of the games will regain progressively and I think that they are almost fully healed of the Wii.

And that Paper Mario fans is where it gets awesome. Since I have reasons to believe that what I just said is what's going to happen, the next Paper Mario game speculated to be on the WiiU could seriously come out of nowhere and even blow our mind. I'm not joking. Those posts truly shows that they want to know what we liked which is correlating with my theory of making games that cares more about the fans. That's why I'm looking forward VERY CAREFULLY to what they will announce about ANYTHING. I have no idea what will come next but I'm sure about one thing, it's going to be awesome and could go in the amazing part and blowing our mind.

If you're sceptical, ok, I can understand that but wait for some times and you will see what I meant. I have too much evidences now to be believe that it's false. If you want to exactly know what I mean, watch any direct since the WiiU was release: it happened just check the dates to E3 it will increase the later it gets. Logically, the next announcements will get even better so, just wait and enjoy!

Btw, that may includes Paper Mario confirmed but that is another story. Though, it makes me more confident to see proper repping so you should hope (though if he's confirmed playable I swear I will not sleep for a while).

Last edited:

Vickand

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vickand
I love the Paper Mario games (Sticker Star not so much, but it's still good) and I'm hoping there's a new game for Wii U.

ANd her'es and idea I would like to see for a new Paper Mario:

First it should return to PM64/TTYD style. But what about creating 4 different stories that get togheter at the end.

Mario: The classic story. Mario searches for 7 star/heart/shine shaped mystical things. (The main villain tricks him to do this)

Luigi: He's searching for Mario because Merlon or another character (maybe the main villain tricking him) told him that Mario is running to a trap or something, but Luigi has no idea where to find Mario.

Bowser: He tries to capture the princess but when invading the castle the main villain attacks too and prevents him to do capture Peach. So he embarks on an adventure to get revenge.

Peach: She escapes the invasion and has to find a way to protect the Mushrrom Kingdom (with Mario and Luigi gone someone has to do something)

It would be a bigger game, with the different stories told in chapters in order, first Mario, Luig, Peach, Bowser. Each one has his own partners.
Partners: Goomba, Koopa troopa, bob-omb, blooper, monty mole, boo, shy guy, lakitu, luma, ninji, etc

And in the end all four characters (and their partners) will collide in a final chapter.

What ideas do you guy have for a new Paper Mario?

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Oh, sign me up as a supporter. We already talked about our mutual Paper Mario interest over in the SSB4 social. :laugh:

Stalkos

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1977-0277-9521
Paper Mario playable? By all means, a lot of variety of moves to create a incredible new character mechanic. Also, Mario RPG feelings!

I support this!

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
I like how the comments are exactly what I tough from general opinions :)

PM64: Quite recurring. It's a great game and for the first game, that was a great start. I see some time people liking this game more than TTYD which could be explained byt the fact that PM64 was the base of TTYD so the basic are the same for both games but represented in different ways. I think it's because of the limitations of the n64. Overall, it's mostly because of tastes but I agree that it's a great game.

TTYD: That was expected but it's by far the most loved. Though, I see very common for people to put TTYD as favourite but PM64 as second. It really tells you how the base are very similar but what I can say for sure is that the goal of TTYD was to push PM64 as its maximum details. Which is the reason of why it's so popular: combining the base of the series which in itself is popular and pushing the concept to the full of its potential. Though, people preferring PM64 (mostly putting TTYD second), may also due to nostalgia and we know how such a feeling can be powerful (I bough a gamecube after selling one months after because of it). Basically, most people preferred the first 2 games and a majority of them put TTYD 1st while a quite big minority put PM64 1st. It really depends on your tastes and the experience you got.

SPM: Not very mentioned but it's worth mentioning. However, it actually make sense since SPM is very different from the first 2 so if you didn't like the first 2, chances are that you COULD like SPM. The reason that there's a minority is the mixed review the most people have on the game. Imo, it looks good but most people don't think so. That's quite unfortunate to see some people say that it's awful while it just may not be elaborated too much on his gameplay. Speaking of the gameplay, it didn't remove all the elements from the first 2 games, you still have a partner mechanic. Though, from what I heard about the story, It can worth a try but if someone can answer to my concern I posted above, I may buy the game but now, it doesn't look like it will happen.

I will tell you a little opinion on why making this game make sense but before...

Sticker Star: If I said "not very mentioned" for SPM, this is a lot worse. It's rarely mentioned and if it's not mentioned, it's mostly because people put on the 4th one (SPM would mostly be 3th). Not only that but it's mostly not even close to be better than SPM. There's a lot of hate on this game and honestly, I understand them. Mostly because of the Iwata ask that revealed the reasons behind the decisions of the game. And they are so questionable it's not even funny. Imo, this interview really shows how they weren't aware of the majority because I think even SPM acknowledged that (mostly the story and partner). I'm not even going to bother that using club nintendo as a trusted source instead of social media or fan site was NOT a good idea. For those reasons, I don't think that making this game made sense ESPECIALLY considering that it was going to be a TTYD remake.

Ok, now, I need to tell my opinion on how the series progressed with times and what Nintendo should do for the future because now, I'm a little more confident about those posts.

First, I have to bring this quote from Sakurai:

"It was tough for me to see that every time I made a new game, people automatically assumed that a sequel was coming. Even if it's a sequel, lots of people have to give their all to make a game, but some people think the sequel process happens naturally."

This was said in 2003 when he explained why he left his job at HAL. This is my personal favourite quote out of ANY developer because I can't even stress how true it is. It even happens today (ssb4 isn't even released and I see people mentioning ssb5 like it's going to exist for sure). Now, not only it's true for any series, it's even more true for Paper Mario.

When PM64 was released, I said I found that the game was limited due to the n64. For me, I don't think they could achieve very fluid animation like we saw in TTYD (fun fact, PM64 runs at 30 fps while TTYD runs at 60 fps). The best example is that I don't see any folding but I see animation like if the world was in cardboard instead of paper. Even for Paper Mario himself. This gave me the feeling that even tough the concept was ingenious, it could be improved.

Because of this, a sequel was worth making. If there's a lot of room for improvement, sure it will require a lot of work but the result will justify the effort. But they got way further than I tough...

And that's when TTYD was released some years after but on the gamecube this time which removed a lot of limitations. Now, EVERY aspect was pushed so much that when I look at the overall game, I don't even think it needs to be improved. Sure, there's parts that wasn't that good but on the overall, they can't do better than this. They just pushed the concept so much that it reached the best that it could do. The game is imo what IS was REALLY trying to do with the whole series and they reached that goal. You have to remember that if this game is so detailed, it is NOT a given. That's when Sakurai's quote is so true: this game required amazing efforts for a sequel.

If there's even a 3th game, it just cannot be like the base of PM64. There's not enough improvement possible to justify the result. Even if it happens, it will hurt the series by not bringing too much new and making the series repetitive. TTYD did bring and improved stuff which is exactly what a sequel is supposed to do. This is why the sequel process is far from natural because if a series does have a natural sequel process, it will hurts the series because it will stop to be appealing at one point. So, I don't think they had any choices if they wanted to continue the series: they had to do something different...

That's how SPM came. Of course, since I didn't played the game, I can't review it but I can tell why making the game makes a lot of sense. This is an attempt to change the concept while still keeping some elements of the older one. But because the concept was changed, it wasn't as much detailed as it could be. Which makes sense because when exploring new concepts, you can expect that it won't push it too much since you don't know if it's appealing for the fans. But I see a lot of hate since I don't think my last sentence was understood. People expected a TTYD sequel but like I said, making this would have hurt the series. My issue with that is that people believed that SPM was bad for the series which I don't think it was. In fact, that was probably the best thing to do because they at least TRIED to continue the series. I'm honestly going to say that if it wasn't for this game, the series may have died. Yeah even considering the mixed review and the hate, I don't think IS had any choices: they did what they should have done. Of course, it wasn't that appealing but it was enough to worth a place in the series (according to what I hear even as a minority).

So now, I'm going to say that at this point, it wasn't a good time for the series. If the concept tried on the third game wasn't appealing enough, a sequel on it shouldn't happen. So, what will happen? The only choice was to try another concept but having already tried that and didn't got enough satisfaction, ideas were starting to run out. Even that Iwata ask suggest that (read carefully what IS had to say it's so obvious). Also, I don't think that nintendo was active that much on social media so they had to rely on club nintendo which unfortunately didn't end up being reliable. Then, there was that idea of a TTYD remake scrapped which I will talk about later. So, I don't think the next game could have been better than SPM considering that. What is very interesting though is that they are still ok to continue the series. For me, it shows that IS really care about it but it has to do with the way nintendo uses it. And that was the issue here...

Sticker star was released on the 3DS. And unfortunately, it's the other m of Paper Mario. A game announced to be promising but didn't end to be. In fact, the new ideas running out sort of created a rush to get a good one ready. Because frankly, the game is even less detailed than SPM (but that game makes sense to not be too elaborated). That doesn't even make sense and I think it was the true "fail" of the series not SPM which was more healthy than harmful. I don't know how I can explain it because it's not consistent but they sort of tried to go to the base genre while removing any things that made the concept good and replacing it by something that doesn't even make sense for the genre. If you want: it's a fake RPG. It's sort of presented like it but in it's core, it's not. I still want to remind you that SPM replaced the stuff in the original concept by stuff that makes sense for pltforming while still keeping some RPG one to do a mix. THAT made sense but sticker star DOES NOT. Which makes me wondering why the game was released in the first place?

If this game was a TTYD remake, I however feel it should be on the WiiU and not the 3DS. It's just not the experience I would enjoy that much on a handheld but even if they couldn't develop on WiiU, it makes sense now for this idea to happen at one point and I think that point could be now. TTYD will have 10 years later in the year so there's 2 generations gap here. Remember wind waker HD? The same reason could be used here. So, I don't think this idea will die and it will even helps the series because the gamecube is too old now. For a game that is popular and considered as a masterpiece, it makes sense to reintroduce it.

However, even with this game, I think we have good reasons to be more hopeful now.

Yes I'm going to play with your emotions but from what I see, I have reasons too. It might sounds silly and not even reliable but I had a crazy theory at the beginning of the WiiU life that I think is worth to share.

I will be honest with you, I found the Wii period "bland". I know it made a lot of money but from a person from the gamecube era which I still think it was the best system, it degenerated A LOT in the long run for the fans. That's even more obvious on these boards. It seems that the game decreased in quality more and more as time passed. For example, mp3 was very good but metroid other m got bad reviews. I realised that I had less games that I played on the wii because it was mostly VC. Even ssbb got affected for what I care the most about any ssb games: the general repping (it has to do with SSE but my theory is too long). I feel it's because a lot of project planned for the GC got on the Wii (SPM is one of them). But after that, it just keep decreasing. There's exceptions like smg but overall, it was disappointing.

You know what's even more weird? The same happened on the beginning of the 3DS but not at the same extent. Though, that includes sticker star btw.

I didn't know that the WiiU was going to change that so I almost left playing nintendo games until I saw the direct from months ago talking about it. I saw an interest of getting better but what convinced me right away was that Earthbound re release.

And then, magic happened. I have absolutely no idea why (might be their WiiU philosophy), but AS SOON AS the WiiU released, the opposite happened. I saw a gradual increase of quality and details. The trailers seemed promising but this time, the game announced was! The best example of a game that released recently was mk8. Not only I can't tell you how good it looks but the item balance was very well tough. And it's not only that but I hear positive comments on game like tropical freeze and of course sm3dworld. I played the last one and it's so obvious to see the increase. SSB4 is of course included.

But what made me think that this crazy theory was true, was that E3.

It's way better than last year and that's INCLUDING the smash trailers. Lots of announcement, sounds promising and I even heard that they won that E3. That repping for SSB4 seems way better than brawl and more details. It's now obvious that they are trying to reverse what happened with the wii. And it's exponentially getting better!

So, if you lost fate in nintendo, you will regain it. That's my prediction because my theory just seems to just happen: since they changed their philosophy with the WiiU, the quality of the games will regain progressively and I think that they are almost fully healed of the Wii.

And that Paper Mario fans is where it gets awesome. Since I have reasons to believe that what I just said is what's going to happen, the next Paper Mario game speculated to be on the WiiU could seriously come out of nowhere and even blow our mind. I'm not joking. Those posts truly shows that they want to know what we liked which is correlating with my theory of making games that cares more about the fans. That's why I'm looking forward VERY CAREFULLY to what they will announce about ANYTHING. I have no idea what will come next but I'm sure about one thing, it's going to be awesome and could go in the amazing part and blowing our mind.

If you're sceptical, ok, I can understand that but wait for some times and you will see what I meant. I have too much evidences now to be believe that it's false. If you want to exactly know what I mean, watch any direct since the WiiU was release: it happened just check the dates to E3 it will increase the later it gets. Logically, the next announcements will get even better so, just wait and enjoy!

Btw, that may includes Paper Mario confirmed but that is another story. Though, it makes me more confident to see proper repping so you should hope (though if he's confirmed playable I swear I will not sleep for a while).
So normally I don't read excessively long posts, but since this was Paper Mario related, I made an exception. It was entertaining to read up on your thoughts on the series (And I sure am glad to finally see someone that feels so strongly as I do about PM!), me personally I put PM64 at the top followed by TTYD and SPM (Sticker Star what is that?) I recognize TTYD is better, but the childhood feels of 64 bro... SPM I believe was them wanting to make a Mario 2D platformer again, but at the end of the day decided to use the Paper series for it since it needed a new concept and honestly it worked. If you're still on the edge of buying it I suggest you go to a gamestop and cop it right now, the game is far more advanced story wise than any other Mario RPG before it (No, seriously) the comedy is better, it doesn't feel like dragging on when reading the text, it has a lot of undertones, characters are way more developed,(Even though most lack in design) and they even managed to not make Peach seem totally hopeless. The gameplay is well a downgrade from the turn based dynamic action of the past and changed to traditional Mario. This was obviously a controversial move by them, knowing people who are fans of the series are behind the RPG aspect of it mostly, and the change affected them. But the gameplay in itself is not bad by any means, it is a smooth transition that manages to still maintain the feel of a Mario RPG imo. The music is still fantastic (See Dimentio's theme and Mr. L's theme) it has a style of its own while still sounding Mario-like. All in all it is a solid game man you should most def pick it up when you can.

On another note, I went through a bit of a Nintendo withdrawal myself with the Wii. Don't get me wrong I owned a Wii and it had a lot of fantastic titles, but the console in itself didn't spark that magic inside. I sold it and bought an Xbox 360 and went on to like it a lot, but never felt as strongly with it as with a Nintendo console. Long story short bought a Wii again, sold it again, out came the Wii U and I didn't care, but lo and behold the magic sparked againm saw the games, saw the passion and my love for Nintendo reignites the end lol. I most def feel confident in the product now and can't wait for all the games down the line.

Speculation time. So, Nintendo showed this E3 that they are on the creative-art styles-bandwagon with games like Kirby Rainbows Curse, Yoshi's Wooly World, among others, but I'd like to focus on those two titles coming to Wii U. One is based on Clay the other on Yarn, don't you think the icing on the cake could be our favorite Mario RPG on home console? It'd lead to some amazing landscapes and gameplay opportunities with the gamepad. As for his inclusion in Smash, even though I'd throw money at the screen at the idea of it. I'm not sure. Sure Sakurai includes that character in every Smash that is a slight variation of one of the most popular ones (:drmario::toonlink:) and there is tons of opportunities for a unique moveset, but I just don't think his chances are so high of getting in. I'd give him 4/5 probability, but I got this gut feeling that's telling me to not get excited because I'll end up disappointed.

The21stSmasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7518-6470-1706
Linked the thread.

EDIT2: Oh, also on facebook :) (going to link there too).
OMG! :crazy: That better mean that their hinting Paper Mario for Smash!!

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I love Paper Mario, The first two are probably my favorite Mario games of all time. Also I do hope we get another PM game someday. There is so much potential left in the series, I want to see new places, chapters, characters, and partners that could be added. man, I'm getting excited thinking about paper Mario. So naturally I would want to see my favorite version of Mario in Smash bros, he could have such a unique move set.

I support this!

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I'd love to see a chapter where Paper Mario visits this:

I think it would be neat and cool to see Paper Rosalina and Paper Lumas. Of course, there would be some neat story that went with it.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Wow, I did not expected to see that much reply after I posted in the potd thread. Thank you so much for your support. This makes me realise that I was right that the thread just needed advertising to go so I'm glad. :colorful:

I added all of you to the list already.

Oh, sign me up as a supporter. We already talked about our mutual Paper Mario interest over in the SSB4 social. :laugh:
See? Exactly what I'm talking about. You're welcome :)

Paper Mario playable? By all means, a lot of variety of moves to create a incredible new character mechanic. Also, Mario RPG feelings!
That is mainly why I want him so much. Though, that isn't unfortunately obvious on the appearance but it is in the character itself. Also, yeah I think he's more expressive because of the flat face which is good. People love expressive character (there was a lot of reaction for dedede on the regard).

So normally I don't read excessively long posts, but since this was Paper Mario related, I made an exception. It was entertaining to read up on your thoughts on the series (And I sure am glad to finally see someone that feels so strongly as I do about PM!), me personally I put PM64 at the top followed by TTYD and SPM (Sticker Star what is that?) I recognize TTYD is better, but the childhood feels of 64 bro... SPM I believe was them wanting to make a Mario 2D platformer again, but at the end of the day decided to use the Paper series for it since it needed a new concept and honestly it worked. If you're still on the edge of buying it I suggest you go to a gamestop and cop it right now, the game is far more advanced story wise than any other Mario RPG before it (No, seriously) the comedy is better, it doesn't feel like dragging on when reading the text, it has a lot of undertones, characters are way more developed,(Even though most lack in design) and they even managed to not make Peach seem totally hopeless. The gameplay is well a downgrade from the turn based dynamic action of the past and changed to traditional Mario. This was obviously a controversial move by them, knowing people who are fans of the series are behind the RPG aspect of it mostly, and the change affected them. But the gameplay in itself is not bad by any means, it is a smooth transition that manages to still maintain the feel of a Mario RPG imo. The music is still fantastic (See Dimentio's theme and Mr. L's theme) it has a style of its own while still sounding Mario-like. All in all it is a solid game man you should most def pick it up when you can.

On another note, I went through a bit of a Nintendo withdrawal myself with the Wii. Don't get me wrong I owned a Wii and it had a lot of fantastic titles, but the console in itself didn't spark that magic inside. I sold it and bought an Xbox 360 and went on to like it a lot, but never felt as strongly with it as with a Nintendo console. Long story short bought a Wii again, sold it again, out came the Wii U and I didn't care, but lo and behold the magic sparked againm saw the games, saw the passion and my love for Nintendo reignites the end lol. I most def feel confident in the product now and can't wait for all the games down the line.

Speculation time. So, Nintendo showed this E3 that they are on the creative-art styles-bandwagon with games like Kirby Rainbows Curse, Yoshi's Wooly World, among others, but I'd like to focus on those two titles coming to Wii U. One is based on Clay the other on Yarn, don't you think the icing on the cake could be our favorite Mario RPG on home console? It'd lead to some amazing landscapes and gameplay opportunities with the gamepad. As for his inclusion in Smash, even though I'd throw money at the screen at the idea of it. I'm not sure. Sure Sakurai includes that character in every Smash that is a slight variation of one of the most popular ones (:drmario::toonlink:) and there is tons of opportunities for a unique moveset, but I just don't think his chances are so high of getting in. I'd give him 4/5 probability, but I got this gut feeling that's telling me to not get excited because I'll end up disappointed.
Thanks for reading. I love to do big posts so you might miss a lot but that's just how I like to do stuff :)

You may be impressed how far I got with TTYD so you may not feel as strong as I am but I can safely say that me and @ Rockaphin Rockaphin are the biggest supporters.

As for the series, I'm going to admit that I did played PM64 as young but with how naive I was, I didn't like it. That's so ironic today as I love him. I only started to love games when I played ssbm (long story but there's a reason why it will be forever my best game of all time and it's impossible to change).

Thanks for answering on SPM. I had to use ebay because the next gamestop is like 4 hours from my home (yeah I'm that far). Even though I'm unsure, It might leads towards a yes but I'll tell in some days.

The thing that I found with what I tough was crazy theory is that if it's true, then logically, it will just keep getting better and better so this is why I have high hopes for the next Paper Mario game. I know I bring this a lot but that leak I think has to with Paper Mario. Check here:
http://nintendoeverything.com/intel...-unannounced-wii-u-title-on-linkedin-profile/
It seems like I'm the only one that cares about it but I don't know why it's not talked. It's still alive with the pushmo not having the leaker in the credits so it's still unknown but I think we will hear about it soon enough.

Yeah I know about his chances but what matters is that you want him. The potential is what he relies on and I don't think rosalina will changes Sakurai's decision since it's unrelated. Though, I want a minimum of a music but now that I see smash run, I have hopes for that too. The problem I have now is that I don't know how I will contain my emotions if he's confirmed lol.

OMG! :crazy: That better mean that their hinting Paper Mario for Smash!!
I tend to think that it hints more towards future game but I talked about it in the grasping at strawa thread :)

I love Paper Mario, The first two are probably my favorite Mario games of all time. Also I do hope we get another PM game someday. There is so much potential left in the series, I want to see new places, chapters, characters, and partners that could be added. man, I'm getting excited thinking about paper Mario. So naturally I would want to see my favorite version of Mario in Smash bros, he could have such a unique move set.

I support this!
Hey, I saw you lurking earlier thanks for posting. I really don't know what will bring the new speculated game but like I said, I expect it to be a great improvement (though, sticker star should be too easy to improve). Let's wait and see! Also, me too I daydream often about him. Just reading my OP makes me excited (that was the intent of it).

I'd love to see a chapter where Paper Mario visits this:

I think it would be neat and cool to see Paper Rosalina and Paper Lumas. Of course, there would be some neat story that went with it.
I said a while back in the thread that using SMG reference would be very appreciated. If TTYD can get SMS, Paper Mario on wiiu can get SMG which would be cool.

@ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 sign me up as a supporter!
Done! That list is really getting bigger now.

Ok, now let's do a little update on the state of the thread.

I updated the OP so that it won't break your mouse wheel if you want to go to the bottom. The texts I wrote were so long that they are better in spoiler tags. I apologize if I make you broke your mouse wheel but you won't have to worry any more. Also, I put the recent image at the bottom just because I like the image.

Speaking on the state of the thread and the OP, I have an announcement to make.

Since I became the OP at the end of April, I was able to successfully do my first goal: advertising, advocating in the OP and thus, bringing more support. The thread is now more frequently on the first page and rarely on the third one. Before I was the OP, the thread got bumped from old pages 7 times and the last one was me :) Now, I only had to bump it once in a 2 months period so that gives you an idea on how it dies less frequently.

However, now, I feel that I can go further. I use "infinite potential" as the slogan because it has potential everywhere that can be used in a wide variety of ways while contradicting the fact that he's viewed as the same potential as a clone of semi clone which I'm trying to disprove. The OP show that on paper (no pun intended) but it doesn't SHOW it. I think Sakurai said once that people will only start to love a character and clear worries only if it is showed to them, not just talking about it. Best example is G&W I love him because I SAW him, not because I HEARD of him and I think it would be the case for most people.

Here's my plan: I want to personalize the OP and my post on this thread so that the fans would feel like home. My new goal would be to make people want him or want him more by presenting why you could want him with source material. I have access to every TTYD textures and texts while being able to run it on emulator with tons of saves and a memory hacking software. This could allow me to do crazy stuff to make people want him. If you don't follow, the bubble in my sig is a good example, it uses the original textures in the game to make a the same look as the original (except the outline which I can fix). I can do this for most of the bubbles in the game. The font is "hey gorgeous" if you want it btw.

So, this may implies major changes to the OP. The message will be the same but the way I will present it will be different. I made this decisions to make the thread more active in the time between posts as most of the essential topics was discussed. This is a support thread it needs to be appealing for getting support.

I hope you will like the futures changes. I will do some sneak peak after some days so, I hope you're looking forward to that!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Wow, you guys really post novels for this character (whom I support avidly). While I commend such an effort, it certainly makes it daunting to try to catch up to or even break into the current conversation with any awareness of where it is.

Especially when it comes down to just being intrigued by where the title came from.

Top Bottom