• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Thinner character, bigger appeal!" Paper Mario for SSB4; Thread migration soon!

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
What If Paper Mario Was Announced For SSB4?
Eh, could be better.
I think I know why you said that because I kind of agree.

The music is very good. The only reason that the original is my favourite PM64 track is mainly because of the intensity at the beginning and how it follows up for a true final boss battle. The remix enhance this even more so there's that.

However, most of the footage was an hack made for ssbb and let me remind you that this is only a texture swap. He could look like that but the moves are the same as mario and mr G&W which I think it won't end like this. You did put some game moment but IMO, it's not enough. In fact, what I expected is to see various moves he uses in battle but you only showed a few of them while most of the rest was the brawl hack which doesn't show any moves he could have. Also, you put a little of PM64 and TTYD with more sticker start while I wanted the opposite (though, maybe a little of spm could've have been better too but TTYD and PM64 should have more footage before that).

I like the thumbnail since it's my favourite title idea but... where did you got this image of him? I don't recall him to see him in this position holding a hammer with the angry face on google. It's better than most images I see.

Since you did this after I asked you and you did it 3 days before E3, you still deserves credits for that so thank you.

(also, where did you got the remix? I see this remix being in SSB4 somehow).

We are very close to hit 20k views let's do it before Monday!

TylerBlackRunIt

I'm from YouTube
3DS FC
2509-3601-8302
I think I know why you said that because I kind of agree.

The music is very good. The only reason that the original is my favourite PM64 track is mainly because of the intensity at the beginning and how it follows up for a true final boss battle. The remix enhance this even more so there's that.

However, most of the footage was an hack made for ssbb and let me remind you that this is only a texture swap. He could look like that but the moves are the same as mario and mr G&W which I think it won't end like this. You did put some game moment but IMO, it's not enough. In fact, what I expected is to see various moves he uses in battle but you only showed a few of them while most of the rest was the brawl hack which doesn't show any moves he could have. Also, you put a little of PM64 and TTYD with more sticker start while I wanted the opposite (though, maybe a little of spm could've have been better too but TTYD and PM64 should have more footage before that).

I like the thumbnail since it's my favourite title idea but... where did you got this image of him? I don't recall him to see him in this position holding a hammer with the angry face on google. It's better than most images I see.

Since you did this after I asked you and you did it 3 days before E3, you still deserves credits for that so thank you.

(also, where did you got the remix? I see this remix being in SSB4 somehow).

We are very close to hit 20k views let's do it before Monday!

I found this picture on google :p

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Just pay attention next time to not double post. Just edit your first post because after all, I don't want that you receive a double post warning :)

Also 20k VIEWS!!! :colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful:

(and the ridley thread got 800k lol)

So finally I can pass E3 without being worried about this thread. I think I did my job to advertise it 1 month before E3. This makes me wonder do you think we will hear about a new Paper Mario game for WiiU this E3? As a reminder, James Anderson from Intelligent System said so in his Linkedin profile. He said "unannounced WiiU game" but considering that he said he worked on sticker star, it could very well be Paper Mario for WiiU. In this case, how would you react if we announce return of TTYD and PM64 elements?

Last edited:

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
I honestly don't want partner galore though. I can barely bass the bubble section in chapter 2 because Flurrie's wind move is so inaccurate!
Then again I would like to see Watt and Kooper. They were useful.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I honestly don't want partner galore though. I can barely bass the bubble section in chapter 2 because Flurrie's wind move is so inaccurate!
Then again I would like to see Watt and Kooper. They were useful.
Wind movement is inaccurate? Well, enjoy!

Note: you can try this on console it's not hard. I was there where the glitch was discovered and I repeated so many times that the game was lagging at lower than 30 fps that was funny.

But I was talking about general elements mostly everyone about turn by turn battle. The partner added a strategy gameplay that made battle not boring (mainly because of the ability to have 2 turns and switch them in front of you). Field moves are another story but I think it would be nice either. What I really want to return is the HP/FP/SP with EXP points because this one clearly enhance the need of management and again the strategy in battle.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
The wind hurts me so much.
On the topic of Paper Mario in smash, he could use things such as the bounces, hammer tricks, partners that act like Luma... he DOES have infinite potential.
IMO, it's not exactly like Luma because they won't be there the whole time. For me, they attack and are done but you can implement a switch mechanics. But yeah just the jump with action command and hammer with badges, you got quite a lot here. You should check the movesets in the OP, there's lots of ideas there.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
IMO, it's not exactly like Luma because they won't be there the whole time. For me, they attack and are done but you can implement a switch mechanics. But yeah just the jump with action command and hammer with badges, you got quite a lot here. You should check the movesets in the OP, there's lots of ideas there.
Throw the best parts of all move sets and then BAM move set.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Bumping this because new info.

The digital event just finished and there's something Paper Mario related confirmed but that's not enough.

Go to 7:51

Paper Peach trophy confirmed but... is there everything else beside trophies? I'm worried now...

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I noticed that as well. I double checked and I didn't see Paper Mario anywhere. So that's a good sign, but that was all the Paper Mario content that I saw. Honestly, I was somewhat disappointed but there's always the invitational and the demo tomorrow.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I noticed that as well. I double checked and I didn't see Paper Mario anywhere. So that's a good sign, but that was all the Paper Mario content that I saw. Honestly, I was somewhat disappointed but there's always the invitational and the demo tomorrow.
Look, idk what is going on anymore. No ridley, no vets but a TON of question about the game.

Also, apparently, Reggie said that there's more to come about smash but when?

Seriously this is more a teaser than anything I don't know what to expect anymore.

JohnathanACE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JohnathanACE
3DS FC
0946-2312-2428
Well Game and Watch is back so i think that's good for Paper Mario's chances. Also I think the Paper Peach trophy is a very good sign since it show that the Paper Mario series is getting some representation.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Well Game and Watch is back so i think that's good for Paper Mario's chances. Also I think the Paper Peach trophy is a very good sign since it show that the Paper Mario series is getting some representation.
G&W has no connection with Paper Mario (not to mention that there's no reason to cut him).
BTW, he's my main and he's almost confirmed so that's great!

But the trophy is unfortunately nothing new. Except the model it's the Sticker star one one. We got a paper peach trophy in brawl.

The problem I have is I hope we get more than trophies (no matter if there's 200 paper mario trophies, I won't find this good). What I want is at least a music.

But I guess, at least it's not ignored completely (let's be positive!!!).

Last edited:

JohnathanACE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JohnathanACE
3DS FC
0946-2312-2428
G&W has no connection with Paper Mario (not to mention that there's no reason to cut him).
BTW, he's my main and he's almost confirmed so that's great!

But the trophy is unfortunately nothing new. Except the model it's the TTYD one. We got a paper peach trophy in brawl.

The problem I have is I hope we get more than trophies (no matter if there's 200 paper mario trophies, I won't find this good). What I want is at least a music.

But I guess, at least it's not ignored completely (let's be positive!!!).
Well Game and Watch has nothing to do with him but he is flat so I guess that opens the door to other flat characters. I don't know just trying to stay positive. Luckily even if Paper Mario doesn't get in on release he seems like a perfect candidate for DLC.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I just tough of this and if the roster is big enough, he has a chance.

I have reasons to believe that the roster will be 50-51 which includes the sal leak. If you includes brawl veteral with few cuts, mewtwo, the newcomer, the sal leak remaining, it gives 48 characters. Again, it;s tight, but it still can happen.

Also, rhythm heaven got reped with an enemy in smash run. Sorry, but now, you have no excuse to not rep the paper mario series more. I see a lot of series getting more rep (just look at the smash run enemy list it's huge). There's lots of trophies and assist that are new and rep more series but seriously, with all the repping going on, I'm going to admit that I'll be a little disappointed to not end up being better reped than trophies. Also, I consider a smash run enemies to be better than trophies now but it's just really bad to see JUST trophies for such good games. I think it may change (I actually expect a minimum) but we'll see.

What do you think? Do you think we'll stay to trophies, getting a minimum rep like music or enemies, or do you think we'll get the stage and/or character? I just want more rep because it's needed.

Rew

Smash Journeyman
Put me down as a supporter. There's no way in hell this will actually happen of course, but I would be very giddy to see Paper Mario in SSB4 as a playable character.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
If we see another Mario character, I think it will indeed be Paper Mario. But I find another Mario newcomer after Rosalina very unlikely sadly.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
If we see another Mario character, I think it will indeed be Paper Mario. But I find another Mario newcomer after Rosalina very unlikely sadly.
Put me down as a supporter. There's no way in hell this will actually happen of course, but I would be very giddy to see Paper Mario in SSB4 as a playable character.
Done :)

Honestly, I still think it might happen but I'll agree that it's tight. According to the CSS speculation, the roster would be 47 or 51 characters and it happens that for other reasons, I find 51 more likely but if I do the math, there's only one slot left if you consider that lucas OR ness, ivysaur, squirtle, snake are cut. Lucas is because of the sal leak claiming something along those lines. Even with the sal leak + ridley + king k rool + mewtwo, it gives 50. Just don't call this dead.

Also, you have to remember that the potential of the character is what would normally interest Sakurai so I don't Rosalina affects him THAT much (compared to bowser jr at least). He wouldn't add him JUST to rep mario (which btw, he's arguably repping his own series) but because he would be unique and versatile.

If you REALLY doubt him, then, hope for more rep because not repping it more wouldn't make any sense at this point imo. I mean who doesn't want TTYD theater? Or the music We believe in you Mario? At this point, I'll even be ok with an assist trophy but only trophies is not enough. This series deserves recognition and this game is the perfect chance to have it.

The only thing I'm positive is the series isn't ignored like every ssb game (ssb64 don't count). A trophy got confirmed but this trophy was in brawl in her spm model so, I don't think it's too wishful to think that we might get a music right?

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Done :)

Honestly, I still think it might happen but I'll agree that it's tight. According to the CSS speculation, the roster would be 47 or 51 characters and it happens that for other reasons, I find 51 more likely but if I do the math, there's only one slot left if you consider that lucas OR ness, ivysaur, squirtle, snake are cut. Lucas is because of the sal leak claiming something along those lines. Even with the sal leak + ridley + king k rool + mewtwo, it gives 50. Just don't call this dead.

Also, you have to remember that the potential of the character is what would normally interest Sakurai so I don't Rosalina affects him THAT much (compared to bowser jr at least). He wouldn't add him JUST to rep mario (which btw, he's arguably repping his own series) but because he would be unique and versatile.

If you REALLY doubt him, then, hope for more rep because not repping it more wouldn't make any sense at this point imo. I mean who doesn't want TTYD theater? Or the music We believe in you Mario? At this point, I'll even be ok with an assist trophy but only trophies is not enough. This series deserves recognition and this game is the perfect chance to have it.

The only thing I'm positive is the series isn't ignored like every ssb game (ssb64 don't count). A trophy got confirmed but this trophy was in brawl in her spm model so, I don't think it's too wishful to think that we might get a music right?
I agree,
for me, music is the bare minimum that I'll accept. Too many songs to pick from but no, the only spin-off that'll get any real love is Mario Kart. Which is understandable, but to completely block out every other aspect of Mario is ridiculous.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
Alright I compiled another moveset for Paper Mario to revive the thread! :D This includes some old things from my old moveset and some new moves!

Paper Mario!!

Entrance: Paper Mario flies in as a Paper Airplane
Jab: 1st Hammer Swing, then 2nd Hammer Swing
FTilt: Vivian uses Shade Fist a little in front of Paper Mario!
UpTilt: Goombario or Goombella (Random but same attack power) use Headbonk!
DownTilt: Paper Mario pulls out a sticker from beneath the ground in front of him!
Dash Attack: Spin Dash from Paper Mario 64!

SideSmash: Paper Mario uses Ultra Hammer while twisting himself up!
UpSmash: Paper Mario uses an Item and the Item's appearance hits for massive damage! (Weak Hit=Mushroom, Decent Hit=POW Block, Full Power Hit=Thunder Rage)
DownSmash: Tube Mode activates and hits on both sides!

NAir: Paper Mario does a Stylish trick! Hits on all sides!
FAir: Lady Bow uses Smack once to hit quickly and do decent knockback!
BAir: Parakarry does Sky Dive for a finishing blow!
UAir: Lakilester (aka Spike) appears above Paper Mario while holding a Spiny above himself!
DAir: Paper Mario uses his Spin Jump for a Spike and travels downwards!

Neutral B: Paper Mario uses his Super Guard which is a Counter Attack that has an animation involving Barry!
Up B: Paper Mario uses Spring Jump! This is chargeable and does damage!
Down B: Paper Mario can hold and then throw either Admiral Bobbery, Bombette, or Boomer horizontally, which then arcs down (The damage is the same for each)
Side B: Kooper or Koops use Shell Toss and then return like a boomerang!

Grab: Like Olimar, Paper Mario sends out a buddy to grab, the buddy being Thoreau!
Pummel: Thoreau jabs the opponent in his or her gut
DThrow: Kersti holds Paper Mario and Paperizes the opponent
UThrow: Paper Mario holds the opponent over his head and can walk around like DK with the opponent and throw him in any direction!
FThrow: Paper Mario allows the baby Yoshi from TTYD to use Gulp and spit the opponent out in front of Paper Mario to set up a combo!
BThrow: Paper Mario throws the opponent backwards into Watt who uses Electro Dash!

UpTaunt: Paper Mario straightens his cap and gives a thumbs up!
SideTaunt: Paper Mario slightly lowers his cap and wags his finger at you!
DownTaunt: Tippi and Kersti float over Paper Mario's head and he gives an intrigued look (The one where looks surprised and points his finger at his mouth) and looks around for the opponent (The one where puts his hand to his forehead and goes on his tiptoes)

Custom Moves to make up for ones I couldn't use:
Custom SideB: Paper Mario sends out Flurrie or Sushie to use Gale Wind or Squirt to push the opponent away! (both have equal power)
Custom Down B: Paper Mario teleports by flipping dimensions from one area to another like Greninja's Side B!
Custom Custom Neutral B: Ms. Mowz comes in and uses Love Slap and then Tease to make the opponent Dizzy (requires timing of Love Slap to connect with the opponent first)
Custom Up B: The baby Yoshi appears and Flutter Jumps with Paper Mario on his back for a distance and when B is pressed, he does a Ground Pound!
Custom Up B #2: Parakarry carries Paper Mario for a bit and then does Shell Shot at the end when Paper Mario gets off as a projectile!

FINAL SMASH!!!
Paper Mario summons the Star Spirits!, Pure Hearts!, and Crystal Stars! to trap an opponent in it's wrath to use Peach Beam!, Supernova!, and ends off with the Pure Hearts all coming together into the opponent to make the killing blow!!!

Winning Animations:
-All the Pixls dance around Paper Mario like at the end of a chapter in Super Paper Mario!
-Paper Mario holds up a Crystal Star like his end of chapter animation in TTYD!
-Paper Mario swings his hammer around triumphantly and then holds it in front of himself!

Extra Animations:
Helpless: Paper Mario flails his arms around while falling to the floor flipping around vertically!
Hit: Paper Mario flinches backwards like he does when he gets hit in his battles!
Ledge Attack: Paper Mario rolls across the floor from the ledge in Tube Mode!

....yes I was bored :p

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Alright I compiled another moveset for Paper Mario to revive the thread! :D This includes some old things from my old moveset and some new moves!

Paper Mario!!

Entrance: Paper Mario flies in as a Paper Airplane
Jab: 1st Hammer Swing, then 2nd Hammer Swing
FTilt: Vivian uses Shade Fist a little in front of Paper Mario!
UpTilt: Goombario or Goombella (Random but same attack power) use Headbonk!
DownTilt: Paper Mario pulls out a sticker from beneath the ground in front of him!
Dash Attack: Spin Dash from Paper Mario 64!

SideSmash: Paper Mario uses Ultra Hammer while twisting himself up!
UpSmash: Paper Mario uses an Item and the Item's appearance hits for massive damage! (Weak Hit=Mushroom, Decent Hit=POW Block, Full Power Hit=Thunder Rage)
DownSmash: Tube Mode activates and hits on both sides!

NAir: Paper Mario does a Stylish trick! Hits on all sides!
FAir: Lady Bow uses Smack once to hit quickly and do decent knockback!
BAir: Parakarry does Sky Dive for a finishing blow!
UAir: Lakilester (aka Spike) appears above Paper Mario while holding a Spiny above himself!
DAir: Paper Mario uses his Spin Jump for a Spike and travels downwards!

Neutral B: Paper Mario uses his Super Guard which is a Counter Attack that has an animation involving Barry!
Up B: Paper Mario uses Spring Jump! This is chargeable and does damage!
Down B: Paper Mario can hold and then throw either Admiral Bobbery, Bombette, or Boomer horizontally, which then arcs down (The damage is the same for each)
Side B: Kooper or Koops use Shell Toss and then return like a boomerang!

Grab: Like Olimar, Paper Mario sends out a buddy to grab, the buddy being Thoreau!
Pummel: Thoreau jabs the opponent in his or her gut
DThrow: Kersti holds Paper Mario and Paperizes the opponent
UThrow: Paper Mario holds the opponent over his head and can walk around like DK with the opponent and throw him in any direction!
FThrow: Paper Mario allows the baby Yoshi from TTYD to use Gulp and spit the opponent out in front of Paper Mario to set up a combo!
BThrow: Paper Mario throws the opponent backwards into Watt who uses Electro Dash!

UpTaunt: Paper Mario straightens his cap and gives a thumbs up!
SideTaunt: Paper Mario slightly lowers his cap and wags his finger at you!
DownTaunt: Tippi and Kersti float over Paper Mario's head and he gives an intrigued look (The one where looks surprised and points his finger at his mouth) and looks around for the opponent (The one where puts his hand to his forehead and goes on his tiptoes)

Custom Moves to make up for ones I couldn't use:
Custom SideB: Paper Mario sends out Flurrie or Sushie to use Gale Wind or Squirt to push the opponent away! (both have equal power)
Custom Down B: Paper Mario teleports by flipping dimensions from one area to another like Greninja's Side B!
Custom Custom Neutral B: Ms. Mowz comes in and uses Love Slap and then Tease to make the opponent Dizzy (requires timing of Love Slap to connect with the opponent first)
Custom Up B: The baby Yoshi appears and Flutter Jumps with Paper Mario on his back for a distance and when B is pressed, he does a Ground Pound!
Custom Up B #2: Parakarry carries Paper Mario for a bit and then does Shell Shot at the end when Paper Mario gets off as a projectile!

FINAL SMASH!!!
Paper Mario summons the Star Spirits!, Pure Hearts!, and Crystal Stars! to trap an opponent in it's wrath to use Peach Beam!, Supernova!, and ends off with the Pure Hearts all coming together into the opponent to make the killing blow!!!

Winning Animations:
-All the Pixls dance around Paper Mario like at the end of a chapter in Super Paper Mario!
-Paper Mario holds up a Crystal Star like his end of chapter animation in TTYD!
-Paper Mario swings his hammer around triumphantly and then holds it in front of himself!

Extra Animations:
Helpless: Paper Mario flails his arms around while falling to the floor flipping around vertically!
Hit: Paper Mario flinches backwards like he does when he gets hit in his battles!
Ledge Attack: Paper Mario rolls across the floor from the ledge in Tube Mode!

....yes I was bored :p
That was a good one thanks (already in the op).

But yeah. I think he can even have enough for customs moves that is however if he doesn't switch partners (hum... now that I think about it, it wouldn't make sense anymore but you know what? I'm okay with this!).

So, I think his partner could be there for the customs moves but then it would remove for the hammers and jumps. So tough to choose but I do think that the customs move suits him very well.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
That was a good one thanks (already in the op).

But yeah. I think he can even have enough for customs moves that is however if he doesn't switch partners (hum... now that I think about it, it wouldn't make sense anymore but you know what? I'm okay with this!).

So, I think his partner could be there for the customs moves but then it would remove for the hammers and jumps. So tough to choose but I do think that the customs move suits him very well.
I think I might've hyped myself up xD But yeah there is so much stuff not in my moveset still left to use! Paper Mario truly does have infinite potential!

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I think I might've hyped myself up xD But yeah there is so much stuff not in my moveset still left to use! Paper Mario truly does have infinite potential!
the thing is, I'd have to redo my moveset lol I spent hours on this but you know; I'd better make a moveset that reflects the game now than having an outdated one. I just think that for some reason, when I said that the majority of his chances comes from how he could interest Sakurai, well the customs moves is something that fits Paper Mario which would support this. I just think that outside of in game switching, it would be a great substitute. Just think about it: 12 specials moves you can do some crazy stuff here.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
the thing is, I'd have to redo my moveset lol I spent hours on this but you know; I'd better make a moveset that reflects the game now than having an outdated one. I just think that for some reason, when I said that the majority of his chances comes from how he could interest Sakurai, well the customs moves is something that fits Paper Mario which would support this. I just think that outside of in game switching, it would be a great substitute. Just think about it: 12 specials moves you can do some crazy stuff here.
Yeah, he could have a lot of room for diversity! We all still haven't even used all the Pixls, icons, gameplay elements, etc. from Paper Mario's series :O There's a lot for Sakurai to experiment with(also Pac-Man has a similar summoning move that sort of acts like switching out partners)

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I tough about something, remember James Anderson, an IS programmer, told that he was working on a unannounced at the end of September 2013? Here's the thing: the only game for wiiu announced since this time was pushmo world which releases tomorrow. STEAM is a 3ds game. To tell you how legit this leak is, he claim to have worked on sticker star (ohhh!) and game & wario. I googled and it's true he programmed for those game. So, if tomorrow James Anderson isn't on the credits of pushmo world, this would mean that the leak would still live and that it MAY be paper mario related. Though, it might be fire emblem but idk.

So, if anyone that would purchase pushmo world can check every staff name after beating the game and see if there's something like James W Anderson or James Welford Anderson on the credits. If he is, then it wasn't paper mario.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I'm not so sure the Paper Peach Trophy means anything.
After all, we did have these in Brawl.

Then again, they were called Wedding Bowser/Peach, and not Paper Bowser/Peach.
So maybe Paper Mario does have a chance.

I'm still hopeful though!
And I am starting to think that a second Mario newcomer is a decent possibility.
Even for equality reasons. Let's say we get a Zelda newcomer, and Mewtwo and Jigglypuff back. That's 6 characters for Zelda and Pokémon.
Now, I know equality between those series may not matter, but another Mario newcomer would even out those series!

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I'm not so sure the Paper Peach Trophy means anything.
After all, we did have these in Brawl.

Then again, they were called Wedding Bowser/Peach, and not Paper Bowser/Peach.
So maybe Paper Mario does have a chance.

I'm still hopeful though!
And I am starting to think that a second Mario newcomer is a decent possibility.
Even for equality reasons. Let's say we get a Zelda newcomer, and Mewtwo and Jigglypuff back. That's 6 characters for Zelda and Pokémon.
Now, I know equality between those series may not matter, but another Mario newcomer would even out those series!
already said but no it doesn't mean that much. In fact, there's another paper peach trophy that is just the spm model of peach in ssbb. Wedding is another one (why it's there is very weird).

The series wasn't ignored in every ssb game (again, ssb64 doesn't count because it was a small budget title so trophies weren't even planned and the series was either not released or too new). So, it's literally nothing new compared to ssbm and brawl but at least it's not ignored (if it was the case then I would have been disappointed). So, that's positive I guess.

Honestly, you shouldn't call the "mario = most amount of rep" a thing ESPECIALLY for him. Remember that if he's repping his own series, it would screw up this theory. But the theory itself imo doesn't make sense and even if it would, I still don't get how it would make his chances higher. Also, this would also apply to bowser jr but the truth is the same for either of them: it's going to be REALLY tight (talking about remaining slots).

Though, I will post soon my opinion on a personal theory I had with SSE. I think that repping in brawl could've been improved if it wasn't for the SSE which could give us hope for seeing at least music since there's no SSE any more.

Btw, supporter list?

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
Oh man, I just really hope some tracks from Paper Mario make it into SSB4. I just started listening to PM1 and PMTTYD's regular battle themes and I can just imagine them being remixed like Ballad of the Goddess :D Mostly because there is a serious lack of good remixes from Paper Mario online

Here are some remixes from Paper Mario I found:
Paper Mario 64 Battle Theme Remix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtksi0Qhklk
Shadow Queen Final Phase Remix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ_Eh5peyr0
Doopliss Battle Theme Remix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyzIJ3I-jWs

.....yeah there is a serious lack of love for Paper Mario out there, WE NEED MOAR :D

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Oh man, I just really hope some tracks from Paper Mario make it into SSB4. I just started listening to PM1 and PMTTYD's regular battle themes and I can just imagine them being remixed like Ballad of the Goddess :D Mostly because there is a serious lack of good remixes from Paper Mario online

Here are some remixes from Paper Mario I found:
Paper Mario 64 Battle Theme Remix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtksi0Qhklk
Shadow Queen Final Phase Remix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ_Eh5peyr0
Doopliss Battle Theme Remix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyzIJ3I-jWs
The first one could've been better but the best part of the song at 0:14 makes the original better. I just like how in the original it gives a certain dynamic which is missing in this remix.

The second one... Ok I still need to see anyone who can remix this theme and make it better. This one lacks what made the original so awesome: the mix of intensity/critical feel. The original is imo perfect and I don't see how any remixes can make it better. Seriously just listening to the original can make me feel in an intense and dangerous atmosphere WITHOUT THE GAME!!! For me, making a fitting vgm is good but making one that can be enjoyed without the game are usually the best one. It's still today one of my favourite (if not my favourite) boss theme.

The third one could've been better but the bells lacks the dynamic that was in the original which, may I add, is the best part of the song. Though, I think someone could make it better by remixing the part where there isn't bells but the bells part is almost perfect.

Yeah if I sound very picky about my critics that's because TTYD ost is amazing. To make such good and memorable tracks is very rare and needs lots of inspiration (instance: did you notice that a lot of track are inspired by their original but don't copy the melody?) Like the sewers music sounds like the underground one? It DOES sounds like but it really isn't. In fact, the underground theme is used in the shadow palace but even there it's altered a lot (and there's even 2 versions). Add the original tracks like the title screen and the We believe in you Mario (this one, no question it's perfection) and you get a Mario ost that could be considered to be an ost apart. PM64 are remixable and can be better but overall, they are quite good. If they really want remixes, I expect that they choose either PM64 or spm (I don't see why they would pick in sticker star but anyway). TTYD however is mostly more than enough with their original.

.....yeah there is a serious lack of love for Paper Mario out there, WE NEED MOAR :D
My 99 hours and 59 minutes file in TTYD + my glitch hunt experience + my opinion on the series itself all says with big font bold and underlined THIS!!!

I've honestly been fighting to solve this statement. I played so much of TTYD and spent 6 months of glitch hunt on it for one and unique goal: that it would get more love. See, the speedrunning community has been mostly nothing on TTYD (PM64 is another story so there's that) mainly because it was like 5-6 hours to finish it. Too much RNG and almost no skips but one day, after I finished my first playtrough, I said in the IRC channel of the same community that I would be ready to test the game to find skips to make this game more popular speedrun-wise. That's how I started and I did end up finding useful stuff but I noticed that the game was too well done and that I have pushed its limit of glitch. It didn't end up where I wanted to but at least I helped. It's just that one time, you have to remind you what you can't do and only do what you can do.

So, I think you understand how much I really care about this thread now: I want to get another chance to get this goal. This is a support thread for the characters but what I want is more rep and the character is the best case which explains why I still support the idea. Becoming the op was probably what I wanted the most for this thread and I'm now trying to do what I couldn't do before.

If SSB, the universal point between Nintendo's masterpieces can't acknowledged properly paper mario's awesomeness, I would be sad. It really is underloved (yeah not underrated because most people who played TTYD/PM64 understands how good they are). This should be more known and it's really annoying how those games didn't get justice and SSB4 needs to fix this ESPECIALLY with how much rep I see now (rhythm, broader rep to existing series, repping new series, etc...).

I could compare this to Earthbound but here, remove the underloved part. This game and its series have a very strong fanbase with such good reasons (it's a masterpiece) and the game was underrated. Now, it's on VC which honestly was needed. The series had 2 playable rep in SSBB and imo, it deserves acknowledgement (maybe not 2 rep but 1 is needed). If Mother can get this treatment and being so underrated then, why paper mario has to end like nothing now? It makes no sense with mother dying now and will probably still get proper acknowledgement like SSB needs to show. But not doing this for TTYD ITSELF is even worse than not getting any playable mother rep. Yes, I said it I want more paper mario rep (any department other than trophies) than a single playable earthbound rep ven though I consider the latter needed.

I hope that removing SSE was for the good...

Last edited:

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
The first one could've been better but the best part of the song at 0:14 makes the original better. I just like how in the original it gives a certain dynamic which is missing in this remix.

The second one... Ok I still need to see anyone who can remix this theme and make it better. This one lacks what made the original so awesome: the mix of intensity/critical feel. The original is imo perfect and I don't see how any remixes can make it better. Seriously just listening to the original can make me feel in an intense and dangerous atmosphere WITHOUT THE GAME!!! For me, making a fitting vgm is good but making one that can be enjoyed without the game are usually the best one. It's still today one of my favourite (if not my favourite) boss theme.

The third one could've been better but the bells lacks the dynamic that was in the original which, may I add, is the best part of the song. Though, I think someone could make it better by remixing the part where there isn't bells but the bells part is almost perfect.

Yeah if I sound very picky about my critics that's because TTYD ost is amazing. To make such good and memorable tracks is very rare and needs lots of inspiration (instance: did you notice that a lot of track are inspired by their original but don't copy the melody?) Like the sewers music sounds like the underground one? It DOES sounds like but it really isn't. In fact, the underground theme is used in the shadow palace but even there it's altered a lot (and there's even 2 versions). Add the original tracks like the title screen and the We believe in you Mario (this one, no question it's perfection) and you get a Mario ost that could be considered to be an ost apart. PM64 are remixable and can be better but overall, they are quite good. If they really want remixes, I expect that they choose either PM64 or spm (I don't see why they would pick in sticker star but anyway). TTYD however is mostly more than enough with their original.

My 99 hours and 59 minutes file in TTYD + my glitch hunt experience + my opinion on the series itself all says with big font bold and underlined THIS!!!

I've honestly been fighting to solve this statement. I played so much of TTYD and spent 6 months of glitch hunt on it for one and unique goal: that it would get more love. See, the speedrunning community has been mostly nothing on TTYD (PM64 is another story so there's that) mainly because it was like 5-6 hours to finish it. Too much RNG and almost no skips but one day, after I finished my first playtrough, I said in the IRC channel of the same community that I would be ready to test the game to find skips to make this game more popular speedrun-wise. That's how I started and I did end up finding useful stuff but I noticed that the game was too well done and that I have pushed its limit of glitch. It didn't end up where I wanted to but at least I helped. It's just that one time, you have to remind you what you can't do and only do what you can do.

So, I think you understand how much I really care about this thread now: I want to get another chance to get this goal. This is a support thread for the characters but what I want is more rep and the character is the best case which explains why I still support the idea. Becoming the op was probably what I wanted the most for this thread and I'm now trying to do what I couldn't do before.

If SSB, the universal point between Nintendo's masterpieces can't acknowledged properly paper mario's awesomeness, I would be sad. It really is unerloved (yeah not underrated because most people who played TTYD/PM64 understands how good they are). This should be more known and it's really annoying how those games didn't get justice and SSB4 needs to fix this ESPECIALLY with how much rep I see now (rhythm, broader rep to existing series, repping new series, etc...).

I could compare this to Earthbound but here, remove the underloved part. This game and its series have a very strong fanbase with such good reasons (it's a masterpiece) and the game was underrated. Now, it's on VC which honestly was needed. The series had 2 playable rep in SSBB and imo, it deserves acknowledgement (maybe not 2 rep but 1 is needed). If Mother can get this treatment and being so underrated then, why paper mario has to end like nothing now? It makes no sense with mother dying now and will probably still get proper acknowledgement like SSB needs to show. But not doing this for TTYD ITSELF is even worse than not getting any playable mother rep. Yes, I said it I want more paper mario rep (any department other than trophies) than a single playable earthbound rep ven though I consider the latter needed.

I hope that removing SSE was for the good...
Yeah those remixes were probably, and unfortunately, some of the best I could find. Let's hope Sakurai and his amazing remix team can solve this dilemma :/

I have, however, seen some fanmade boxarts for new Paper Mario entries and fanmade music for those games. I don't know why I tease myself like this tho xD

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Yeah those remixes were probably, and unfortunately, some of the best I could find. Let's hope Sakurai and his amazing remix team can solve this dilemma :/

I have, however, seen some fanmade boxarts for new Paper Mario entries and fanmade music for those games. I don't know why I tease myself like this tho xD
Fanmade vgm? Wow, seems like I'm not the only one who find this series underloved.

So, I just noticed something about the customization features: it doesn't change his potential.

Now, I know that Sakurai seems to be really consistent to some extent but I noticed that sometimes, this consistency means to go out of the "convention". What I mean is that there's inconsistency to make the game more unique and so keeping a certain consistency for the unique factor. For example, Palutena having completely different attack as opposed to variation isn't consistent with the feature itself. I think it's clear that there's actually a lot of those inconsistency like having switchable characters in game or having a meter for one attack for one character those things are not consistent with the general game. But by having those, you keep a certain uniqueness which is the point of the roster itself. It doesn't feel like having a single fighters with different styles but it goes further by expanding the question "what is fighting?" and I think that Sakurai is trying to do so. Which leads me to Paper Mario's potential...

From what Sakurai is doing now, I think the word "infinite" becomes more and more true. Because you have a customization features that NORMALLY gives the choice between 12 specials moves and they are 4 different kind which has 3 variations each. I said normally because the mii and Palutena break this rule which was done by Sakurai. This is where it gets interesting: what if Paper Mario break this rule?

That could be a possible way to implement the badges not only with him but the partners too. Instead of having 12 special moves, why not 4 but each of them can be altered while still not changing the move? Like putting the foe smaller after a spin jump? Partner being less powerful but quicker to use? And those badges, how could you manage them? Unlockable? Or by predetermined set depending on a point system?

I'm just throwing ideas without even knowing how you could implement them but what I want to say is that it can go beyond what is usually done which is point of including him in the roster in the first place. The only thing that I would agree doesn't fit is a switch mechanic. How would you customize every partner? But then again, you could implement an fp system so why is this a problem?

I was sceptical when some people bring the fp system as gimmick but now, I'm not anymore. If Sakurai wants to bring something new, he would try to with thoughts and this is why it can happen. I just see him and it sounds like he wants to go beyond standards even if it's supposed to be respected by him and this is why the potential is still there.

Actually, I think that implementing such gimmicks would be very hard but the real question will it be worth? My opinion is that if pokemon trainer was worth back then, so is any gimmicks that seems too good to be true.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
Fanmade vgm? Wow, seems like I'm not the only one who find this series underloved.

So, I just noticed something about the customization features: it doesn't change his potential.

Now, I know that Sakurai seems to be really consistent to some extent but I noticed that sometimes, this consistency means to go out of the "convention". What I mean is that there's inconsistency to make the game more unique and so keeping a certain consistency for the unique factor. For example, Palutena having completely different attack as opposed to variation isn't consistent with the feature itself. I think it's clear that there's actually a lot of those inconsistency like having switchable characters in game or having a meter for one attack for one character those things are not consistent with the general game. But by having those, you keep a certain uniqueness which is the point of the roster itself. It doesn't feel like having a single fighters with different styles but it goes further by expanding the question "what is fighting?" and I think that Sakurai is trying to do so. Which leads me to Paper Mario's potential...

From what Sakurai is doing now, I think the word "infinite" becomes more and more true. Because you have a customization features that NORMALLY gives the choice between 12 specials moves and they are 4 different kind which has 3 variations each. I said normally because the mii and Palutena break this rule which was done by Sakurai. This is where it gets interesting: what if Paper Mario break this rule?

That could be a possible way to implement the badges not only with him but the partners too. Instead of having 12 special moves, why not 4 but each of them can be altered while still not changing the move? Like putting the foe smaller after a spin jump? Partner being less powerful but quicker to use? And those badges, how could you manage them? Unlockable? Or by predetermined set depending on a point system?

I'm just throwing ideas without even knowing how you could implement them but what I want to say is that it can go beyond what is usually done which is point of including him in the roster in the first place. The only thing that I would agree doesn't fit is a switch mechanic. How would you customize every partner? But then again, you could implement an fp system so why is this a problem?

I was sceptical when some people bring the fp system as gimmick but now, I'm not anymore. If Sakurai wants to bring something new, he would try to with thoughts and this is why it can happen. I just see him and it sounds like he wants to go beyond standards even if it's supposed to be respected by him and this is why the potential is still there.

Actually, I think that implementing such gimmicks would be very hard but the real question will it be worth? My opinion is that if pokemon trainer was worth back then, so is any gimmicks that seems too good to be true.
From what I see with most newcomers is that they are all unique and gimmicky. Sakurai loves unique and gimmicky things, as shown with characters like Ice Climbers and Rosalina, and Paper Mario could be that with his partners or FP or whatever. Also, That Paper Peach trophy gives me hope that SOME representation will be present. Overall, I feel cautiously optimistic about this.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
From what I see with most newcomers is that they are all unique and gimmicky. Sakurai loves unique and gimmicky things, as shown with characters like Ice Climbers and Rosalina, and Paper Mario could be that with his partners or FP or whatever. Also, That Paper Peach trophy gives me hope that SOME representation will be present. Overall, I feel cautiously optimistic about this.
It's sad how this thread is only active now because of us now (lol maybe we should do this via pm?)

But that trophy is nothing new. The only thing that is new is the model since it's the sticker star one as opposed to the spm one. Both models were from the most recently released game so it's really nothing new. You shouldn't hope just for this trophy.

However, there's other stuff that can either give me hope or make me feel that removing SSE wasn't for the good. Check how series are repped now compared to ssbb do you notice something? Not only veterans's series are more repped but you see repping for completely new series or more rep for series that were ignored. Even rhythm heaven is getting repped and a leak suggest a playable one how is this not an improvement?

And I have to point out smash run this is a HUGE repping potential that so far seems to be exploited like SSE should have. Granted, there's lots of enemies from Sakurai's creation but if you take EVERY other enemy vs every enemy made by Sakurai, you will realize that there's more enemies NOT made by Sakurai (not including original kid icarus enemies as those were made by Nintendo back then) than the one made by him. I don't think this was the case with SSE but what is interesting is seeing how much broader the series got repped here. I was honestly surprised to see pokemon as enemies where they were already repped as random hazard.

THIS is what gives me hope for better repping in general but does that include Paper Mario? We'll see but at this point, it's even more unfair to not improve the repping of this series.

Kay kay

Just take the time to admire my signature
Yeah but do you have any suggestion? :)

but honestly, there's not that much to talk. It's just that I find this thread lacking support.
Hmm, how about just the pros and cons of Paper Mario joining?

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Hmm, how about just the pros and cons of Paper Mario joining?
Pros:
  • Possible new mechanic introduced.
  • First partner summoner(unless you count Pac-Man as one).
  • First time a Mario RPG received love in a character.
  • Somewhat popular character.
  • Possible unique moveset.
  • Paper Mario as a character, could bring more content from Paper Mario(stages, music, enemies, etc).

Cons:
  • His inclusion would most likely murder the chances of highly popular characters like Bowser Jr. or Toad.
  • Could possibly be a clone(which would be a waste).
  • Alternate Mario(which isn't so bad once you realize that we have two Links, two Zelda's, and two Samus's).

Top Bottom