• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Things You Probably Didn't Know About Lucario.

dr00

Smash Apprentice
--btw, i screwed up the previous EVs i listed because i forgot about 31 IVs >_<
lawl i do that all the time. and i don't know where/when you get bonus points with +natures, so sometimes i probably waste EVs

and with more power in special attack, it is therefore more potent.
well yeah it's more potent. really i just needed examples (cos it was late and didn't feel like doing it on my own :p)

if swampert comes in, I'm getting the heck out of there
no no no, that's not what i meant.
swampert does more base damage with avalanche than ice beam, but ice beam is more potent because of who he's using it against (as an example for above point)

--gliscor: you're kidding right? This set is made to bait out a physical wall with CC and kill it with a special attack... I'm faster than gliscor and HP ice does 500+ damage minimum unless glis managed to get 80 more base HP stats and maxed it out, it's dead
not at all. gliscor can easily outspeed lucario, especially one without a +spd nature and minimal spd EV investment.
no doubt HP Ice will take that flying bat out of the sky faster than the joker, but not if he doesn't go first

-but I'm in the middle of making a team to make mixed lucario shine, so I'll see how it goes then, but no way am i touching a +speed nature with this set.
well you don't have to. and really, it's all about what fits your playstyle better. i'm just giving examples of things that might work better overall for you. they might not work AT all mind, but they're just suggestions, not YOU HAS TO DO THIS IT IS WAY A LOT BETTAR I SWEAR

oh and i thought I'd put this here as a way of discussing counters for a set like this:
-swampert CC averages 41% DP: 34%, VW could finish off a swamp if it has ~25% of it's health
-cresselia: too many sets to be able to care atm, maybe tomorrow morning, but just in general I'll give this. DP to max HP/SpD cress= 34%
-heracross: 50% from CC, VW does a min of 45 damage so a sub 17% hera gets killed
-spiritomb is an auto switch
-zapdos: 60% from HP ice, which means it could die on the switch with SR and if it's taken 13 damage prior to it (or if HP ice did 63% percent) VW finishes it off, but lefties are an issue :(
-celebi: if it is a special wall, works well, otherwise DP ***** it
-hippo: CC does 33%, HP ice does 72.6% and VW does 31.4%
-weezing: CC does 20%, DP: 50%
-bulky gyara: auto switch, you're screwed. CC: 23.6% DP: 32.7%
--I'll do more when i'm awake, but these are some of the more general counters to lucario.
i just woke up, so i'll check the numbers later, but thanks for them :)
i have a list somewhere i recently did that i will post a bit later

but yeah, spiritomb laughs at lucario lol :(

NOTE: lefties are annoying to deal with, this set can safely kill some of it's most general physically gifted opponents (gliscor, hippo), but the special walls in D/P tend to have a nice advantage over mixed lucario because most resist fighting. SR and Spikes are highly advised with this set because they help lucario destroy to an unholy extent no matter what set you run.
yeah stealth rock should be a staple on any 6-man team, even without roar/whirlwind cheese.

G-Beast

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4442-0111-1914
oh and i thought I'd put this here as a way of discussing counters for a set like this:
-swampert CC averages 41% DP: 34%, VW could finish off a swamp if it has ~25% of it's health run aura sphere instead of VW and use ES is this is the case. HP grass will OHKO swampert if you dont like aura sphere(which IMO is crucial for any form of special attacking Lucario)
-cresselia: too many sets to be able to care atm, maybe tomorrow morning, but just in general I'll give this. DP to max HP/SpD cress= 34%you really want a cresselia to set up on you? im this spot you should have a taunt weavile to switch out to. taunt->brick break(if she puts a reflect up)->night slash is she dosent swicth outafter taunt lol
-heracross: 50% from CC, VW does a min of 45 damage so a sub 17% hera gets killedyour obviously forgetting hera will OHKO Lucario with close combat, hercross is a counter to Lucario unless he carries psychic, which is the only reason you shouldnt swotch out, even then a CS hera might be on your case.
-spiritomb is an auto switchwhy would spiritomb switch into Lucario? he cant really do anything to him... SDluke with Crunch will crush spiritomb.
-zapdos: 60% from HP ice, which means it could die on the switch with SR and if it's taken 13 damage prior to it (or if HP ice did 63% percent) VW finishes it off, but lefties are an issue :( stone edge is a much better option for attacking zapdos except on the defensive rooster set, but its really a bad idea to keep Lucario into zapdos
-celebi: if it is a special wall, works well, otherwise DP ***** itno it does not **** it even if it isnt a special wall, not with the EV spread your running. besides the only special wall that will switch into Lucario will be blissey if your opponent sees dark pulse. i would say DPwould **** it would if you were running a specs set, but your not
-hippo: CC does 33%, HP ice does 72.6% and VW does 31.4%SpecsLuke rips hippo apart, and SDLuke 2HKOs him with CC(switch in means hippo looses)
-weezing: CC does 20%, DP: 50%use psychic if your concerned about weezing, or train an alakazam and watch weezing cry, its funny to switch alakazam into weezing xD
-bulky gyara: auto switch, you're screwed. CC: 23.6% DP: 32.7%try running a SDLuke with Stone edge and watch that gyarados die in one shot
--I'll do more when i'm awake, but these are some of the more general counters to lucario.

NOTE: lefties are annoying to deal with, this set can safely kill some of it's most general physically gifted opponents (gliscor, hippo), but the special walls in D/P tend to have a nice advantage over mixed lucario because most resist fighting. SR and Spikes are highly advised with this set because they help lucario destroy to an unholy extent no matter what set you runquite true, but Lucario is much better to be a pure physical or special attacker i guarantee you will get better results from a specs Lucario or a SD Lucario. check smogon.com for the scary damage calculations for SDLuke. also watch blissey die to CC. the reason why this set wont work is because of simply sending in yachechomp to deal with you, he can switch into your HPice no problems at all, and OHKO with earthquake, if you had a life orb and VW he would be able to do this though i think.... dont quote me. all im saying is a mixed Lucario wont work against skilled players, you might surprise and kill one pokemon, but the next one will revenge kill you, watch magnezone come in and send that lucario packing. weavile, aerodactyl, garchomp magnezone, infernape, gyarados, heatran, azelf, and many many more will easily be able to stop you be it mostly revenge kill, but alot can counter what you try to do. also, you dont have enough attack to OHKO tta with close combat.. and thats not healthy for a physical Lucario.
im not trying to be offensive... im just trying to help... ive just tried many many different kinds of mixed Lucarios, none ever worked. i got a surprise kill and then once my opponent knew what was going on, that Lucario was powerless to do anything. i hope i have been helpfull

dr00

Smash Apprentice
im not trying to be offensive... im just trying to help... ive just tried many many different kinds of mixed Lucarios, none ever worked. i got a surprise kill and then once my opponent knew what was going on, that Lucario was powerless to do anything. i hope i have been helpfull
he's only working on a mixed lucario at my suggestion, and hasn't made one before.

also, if you see, he's running HP Ice, so HP grass would have to be for another set

and all of his calculations are for that set. obviously each lucario can't do everything, so we're crunching numbers for what this set can handle, not what any concievable lucario could handle.

your suggestions aren't bad, but if you read his pasts posts, you'll see that you're 'preaching to the choir' and he's already made your closing arguments in this thread.

G-Beast

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4442-0111-1914
use the IV calculator on serebii.net, it also tells you what your HP will be. in game this is irratating to get right, and is best to be avoided imo

betterthanbonds9

Smash Ace
-swampert CC averages 41% DP: 34%, VW could finish off a swamp if it has ~25% of it's health run aura sphere instead of VW and use ES is this is the case. HP grass will OHKO swampert if you dont like aura sphere(which IMO is crucial for any form of special attacking Lucario)
ES does about the same amount and harms the set's effectiveness, AS makes it useless late game unless a wall is up, you seem to think that this set is about getting OHKOs left and right. You sir, are wrong. This set is made to initially kill a generic counter to lucario and late game VW sweep, basically

-cresselia: too many sets to be able to care atm, maybe tomorrow morning, but just in general I'll give this. DP to max HP/SpD cress= 34%you really want a cresselia to set up on you? im this spot you should have a taunt weavile to switch out to. taunt->brick break(if she puts a reflect up)->night slash is she dosent swicth outafter taunt lol
2 things 1. hate weavile 2. this cress info is to kill cress and it's a 50% chance to KO if she's at 34% no matter what EVs that fat duck runs and if she puts up reflect, meh, it's a decent move sure, but it's not like reflect is a game breaking move especially when another DP is coming >_>.

-heracross: 50% from CC, VW does a min of 45 damage so a sub 17% hera gets killedyour obviously forgetting hera will OHKO Lucario with close combat, hercross is a counter to Lucario unless he carries psychic, which is the only reason you shouldnt swotch out, even then a CS hera might be on your case
this is in case hera switches in to a CC by chance, and depending on his health VW kills

-spiritomb is an auto switchwhy would spiritomb switch into Lucario? he cant really do anything to him... SDluke with Crunch will crush spiritomb
ok, time to show you why this is a bad idea even with SD lucario. Spiritomb will take ~35-40% depending on the EVs (am assuming it to be a defensive wall, if it's a special wall, then it's a stupid switch-in in the first place) from +2 crunch. Note, it probably had a free switch in from a missed CC or ES, a min SpA HP fighting from spiritomb does 45.5% minimum to a standard SD luc after luc has taken LO damage and if you get burned/painsplit, probably means you die before spiritomb would

-zapdos: 60% from HP ice, which means it could die on the switch with SR and if it's taken 13 damage prior to it (or if HP ice did 63% percent) VW finishes it off, but lefties are an issue stone edge is a much better option for attacking zapdos except on the defensive rooster set, but its really a bad idea to keep Lucario into zapdos
lucario doesn't run stone edge unless it's using CB...wow, that's just desperate "he has this move"-itis at it's best

-celebi: if it is a special wall, works well, otherwise DP ***** itno it does not **** it even if it isnt a special wall, not with the EV spread your running. besides the only special wall that will switch into Lucario will be blissey if your opponent sees dark pulse. i would say DPwould **** it would if you were running a specs set, but your not
ok, standard defensive celebi (not SpD) (252HP/220Def) gives it 201 damage minimum, celebi has 404 HP, this is a 2HKO and at least easy set up for another pokemon. PLEASE USE NUMBERS TO ARGUE WITH ME.

-hippo: CC does 33%, HP ice does 72.6% and VW does 31.4%SpecsLuke rips hippo apart, and SDLuke 2HKOs him with CC(switch in means hippo looses)
going with my calculation, specs luc would do 84% average with HP ice. The CC info i put up were to show that a CC switch in followed by HP ice is at least a 75% KO, which is good imo.

-weezing: CC does 20%, DP: 50%use psychic if your concerned about weezing, or train an alakazam and watch weezing cry, its funny to switch alakazam into weezing xD
alakazam sucks this gen....(still good, but not as awesome as it used to be) no more elemental punches, azelf is far better, but that's besides the point. Arguing another pokemon to use is even worse than arguing a move to alter the set completely...and I'm not concerned with weezing, this is a damage calc, im just using walls...

-bulky gyara: auto switch, you're screwed. CC: 23.6% DP: 32.7%try running a SDLuke with Stone edge and watch that gyarados die in one shot
SD lucario usually has crunch...and way to change the set AND the move, that takes skill.

quite true, but Lucario is much better to be a pure physical or special attacker i guarantee you will get better results from a specs Lucario or a SD Lucario. check smogon.com for the scary damage calculations for SDLuke. also watch blissey die to CC. the reason why this set wont work is because of simply sending in yachechomp to deal with you, he can switch into your HPice no problems at all, and OHKO with earthquake, if you had a life orb and VW he would be able to do this though i think.... dont quote me. all im saying is a mixed Lucario wont work against skilled players, you might surprise and kill one pokemon, but the next one will revenge kill you, watch magnezone come in and send that lucario packing. weavile, aerodactyl, garchomp magnezone, infernape, gyarados, heatran, azelf, and many many more will easily be able to stop you be it mostly revenge kill, but alot can counter what you try to do. also, you dont have enough attack to OHKO tta with close combat.. and thats not healthy for a physical Lucario.
SD lucario is unoriginal, smogon is good, i use it for a lot (especially the EVs) but do i enjoy generic sets? no. I like changing things up because people like you would only think of this kind of stuff and halt the metagame to a standstill. The sets were made to be obvious, real skill comes from making a team to cover weaknesses and evolving tactics. And LOL at the yachechomp. I dont outspeed chomp so why would i stay in? And no, they wont "revenge kill" me, i can always switch to a counter and get back into this situation....but i am going to test chomp later. And yes i do have enough to OHKO a max HP/ max Def ttar (at least 540 damage). VW does min of 43% to a minSpD/maxHP ttar in a sandstorm btw.

if you respond in that annoying style of inside the quote, plz use a color, i HATE white bold walls of text

i know, i have read them. my question, why arent you 2 planning on running aura sphere?
because CC is needed for blissey, HP ice for gliscor and dragon predictions, dark pulse for gengar prediction, dusknoir and other ghost set ups (shadow ball could be better, but i like the flinches), and VW is for the late game cleanup and because with low speed a priority move is pretty necesary

That surprise kill of a wall is what this set is designed for, so you had yourself a good mixcario. A common example of what I've done on shoddy with it is surpise kill a gliscor (it predicted CC on the blissey, HP ice on glis next turn), and managed to out predict the guy by killing starmie with dark pulse and finish a game by CC blissey. All of these are what he's made to do, therefore i say he's a success.

well yeah it's more potent. really i just needed examples (cos it was late and didn't feel like doing it on my own :p)
steelix (I'll add him to the damage section later) and because it's more potent it's for revenge kills, it's almost never going to be stronger than CC because CC is 3 times as powerful...

no no no, that's not what i meant.
swampert does more base damage with avalanche than ice beam, but ice beam is more potent because of who he's using it against (as an example for above point)
oh...lol i get it, plus avalanche only gets 120bp if you go second, just food for your thought

not at all. gliscor can easily outspeed lucario, especially one without a +spd nature and minimal spd EV investment.
no doubt HP Ice will take that flying bat out of the sky faster than the joker, but not if he doesn't go first
I dont see many glis with 72 speed EVs. If they want to be fast, they just use agility with they're 95 base speed. But most (>90%) glis are the defensive 252HP/252Def type which makes him mixcario fodder

well you don't have to. and really, it's all about what fits your playstyle better. i'm just giving examples of things that might work better overall for you. they might not work AT all mind, but they're just suggestions, not YOU HAS TO DO THIS IT IS WAY A LOT BETTAR I SWEAR
oh, i wouldn't touch mixcario if i didn't see potential in it. Killing an opponents wall means that they have to switch in using a predicted type advantage, which makes it easier to outpredict. Plus, it is a pretty easy way of gaining control of the match and psyching them out.

soon to be damage tested for: steelix, starmie, dusknoir, claydol, blissey, gliscor, heatran, ttar, garchomp

dr00

Smash Apprentice
oh...lol i get it, plus avalanche only gets 120bp if you go second, just food for you're thought
yeah, i have a physical swampert with avalanche, eq, waterfall and hammer arm, but all my mixperts get ice beam.

I dont see many glis with 72 speed EVs. If they want to be fast, they just use agility with they're 95 base speed. But most (>90%) glis are the defensive 252HP/252Def type which makes him mixcario fodder
yeah good point.

Dark Paladin X

Smash Journeyman
Fact #19 (kinda lost count): It is believed that Lucario's aura is so powerful that two Aura Spheres is enough to make an explosion equal to 10,000 Nagasaki bombs detonated all in once, as well as the aura capable to KOing Mewtwo and Chuck Norris.

Top Bottom