• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Theory on yet unrevealed characters and the WiiU/Future Unannounced DLC Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
So I was watching this Smash Bros. Wii U preview video for the new features, modes and Amiibo's on Youtube and I noticed something that was said during the preview. If you fast forward to 2:35 in the video, the person speaking will start talking about unlock able characters but he words it by saying that "You will unlock new characters exclusive to the Wii U but we are not allowed to talk about that for today." Yeah............either this guy was misinformed, said what he was suppose to say incorrectly or there really is Wii U exclusive characters. I'm honestly not sure what to believe given this preview video. I mean, it's very possible he just worded things incorrectly but I'm not too sure. Here's the video in question so you can see what I'm talking about and judge it for yourself.

If this is true, then this definitely very exciting! I REALLY hope this individual knew what he was talking about and he's not just using false information or worded things incorrectly. I mean don't get me wrong, I'm VERY satisfied with the current roster as it is, Mewtwo included, but honestly, having brand new characters to unlock that weren't in the 3DS version is awesome! That might also explain why the starting roster now has 40 characters instead of the 36 in the 3DS version. But, Sakurai's words in regards to roster parity put a wrench in this line of speculation and so, I'm going to take this with a grain of salt for the time being, just so I don't get my hopes up. Of course, anything can change with Sakurai so it's not out of the question and it's possible these Wii U exclusive characters may just be exclusive for a month or two before they grace the 3DS version. Either way, I'll be happy if this is true or not.

Last edited:

zony514

Smash Apprentice
NNID
zoniken514
3DS FC
1633-5281-0428
So I was watching this Smash Bros. Wii U preview video for the new features, modes and Amiibo's on Youtube and I noticed something that was said during the preview. If you fast forward to 2:35 in the video, the person speaking will start talking about unlock able characters but he words it by saying that "You will unlock new characters exclusive to the Wii U but we are not allowed to talk about that for today." Yeah............either this guy was misinformed, said what he was suppose to say incorrectly or there really is Wii U exclusive characters. I'm honestly not sure what to believe given this preview video. I mean, it's very possible he just worded things incorrectly but I'm not too sure. Here's the video in question so you can see what I'm talking about and judge it for yourself.

If this is true, then this definitely very exciting! I REALLY hope this individual knew what he was talking about and he's not just using false information or worded things incorrectly. I mean don't get me wrong, I'm VERY satisfied with the current roster as it is, Mewtwo included, but honestly, having brand new characters to unlock that weren't in the 3DS version is awesome! That might also explain why the starting roster now has 40 characters instead of the 36 in the 3DS version. But, Sakurai's words in regards to roster parity put a wrench in this line of speculation and hope so I'm going to take this with a grain of salt for the time being, just so I don't get my hopes up. Of course, anything can change with Sakurai so it's not out of the question and it's possible these Wii U exclusive characters may just be exclusive for a month or two before they grace the 3DS version. Either way, I'll be happy if this is true or not.
Yeah, he did say "new exclusive characters", but wouldn't he meant to say "secret characters" which we already know instead?

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Yeah, he did say "new exclusive characters", but wouldn't he meant to say "secret characters" which we already know instead?
That's why I'm taking what he said with a grain of salt cause he easily could have meant something else. I still wanted to post the video just so other's can speculate on the matter since the wording is rather interesting. I suppose time will tell if he meant "new exclusive characters" or "secret characters." I'm going to assume it's the latter of the two. :ohwell:

Last edited:

BubbaDuke

Smash Apprentice
That's why I'm taking what he said with a grain of salt cause he easily could have meant something else. I still wanted to post the video just so other's can speculate on the matter since the wording is rather interesting. I suppose time will tell if he meant "new exclusive characters" or "secret characters." I'm going to assume it's the latter of the two. :ohwell:
"Characters exclusive to the wii u version" definitely sounds interesting to me.

But the guy may have just worded it poorly I suppose.

zony514

Smash Apprentice
NNID
zoniken514
3DS FC
1633-5281-0428
"Characters exclusive to the wii u version" definitely sounds interesting to me.

But the guy may have just worded it poorly I suppose.
It's possibly the guy was trying to say "secret-but-already-know-characters", as he is told by Nintendo still don't reveal it since some people might haven't played the 3DS version. But if he's actually IS talking about exclusive characters for real, then I'm kinda interested who could it be. The replacement of the 4 secrets (Ness, Ganondorf, Jigglypuff, Bowser Jr.) to playable might mean something, and many debunked leaks were mentioning 4 exclusive characters many times, which it may explain the 4 empty slots for the 3DS's CSS. So if what they say is correct in some sort, as the debunked leaks were slightly correct except for exact character rosters, then things can be really interesting.

But that's just my opinion and theory of course, which the guy may be mistaken using a wrong vocabulary on expressing secret characters.

BubbaDuke

Smash Apprentice
Come to think of it, I think DLC will also be filling those other 3 spots..... or there could be Wii U exclusives offered as DLC on the 3DS
Weren't there arrows for the character select screen found in the 3DS version?

They could always resize the icons as well.

I don't feel that only having enough room for 4 characters is enough to say only 4 characters are being added.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace

If this is true, then this definitely very exciting! I REALLY hope this individual knew what he was talking about and he's not just using false information or worded things incorrectly. I mean don't get me wrong, I'm VERY satisfied with the current roster as it is, Mewtwo included, but honestly, having brand new characters to unlock that weren't in the 3DS version is awesome! That might also explain why the starting roster now has 40 characters instead of the 36 in the 3DS version. But, Sakurai's words in regards to roster parity put a wrench in this line of speculation and so, I'm going to take this with a grain of salt for the time being, just so I don't get my hopes up. Of course, anything can change with Sakurai so it's not out of the question and it's possible these Wii U exclusive characters may just be exclusive for a month or two before they grace the 3DS version. Either way, I'll be happy if this is true or not.
His context throughout the rest of the video is not misleading. It's pretty clear.

If I'm going to be honest, if he messed up on that part, that would be strange. Deviating from averagely clear context for one moment isn't likely, in my opinion. It sounds like the video was scripted before it was recorded too. :/

That said, I too will take it with a grain of salt.

We'll see what happens.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
His context throughout the rest of the video is not misleading. It's pretty clear.

If I'm going to be honest, if he messed up on that part, that would be strange. Deviating from averagely clear context for one moment isn't likely, in my opinion. It sounds like the video was scripted before it was recorded too. :/

That said, I too will take it with a grain of salt.

We'll see what happens.
Your right, it does sound pretty clear. But there was a Nintendo rep from Canada who said in an interview that Rayman was in the game so people make mistakes. I'm not saying your wrong of course because I REALLY want what he said to be true, but for now, I'm taking this with a grain of salt so I don't get disappointed in the long run. If this does come to pass, then that's awesome and I'm sure I'll be more excited because I wasn't expecting anything more than the current character roster.

Indeed, we shall see what happens and move forward from there.

Wyntir

Dark Child - 3DS tag online
NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
Your right, it does sound pretty clear. But there was a Nintendo rep from Canada who said in an interview that Rayman was in the game so people make mistakes. I'm not saying your wrong of course because I REALLY want what he said to be true, but for now, I'm taking this with a grain of salt so I don't get disappointed in the long run. If this does come to pass, then that's awesome and I'm sure I'll be more excited because I wasn't expecting anything more than the current character roster.

What if... Rayman IS one of those exclusives...

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
What if... Rayman IS one of those exclusives...
It's possible........I wouldn't have any objection to him being a playable character in the game. Still going to expect the roster we already know from the 3DS version but it would not surprise me if new exclusive characters appeared on the Wii U version, at least for a couple months or so, and then they are added via a patch to the 3DS version after a set time period. I told myself I wouldn't get excited over something that very well might not happen, but just talking about it gets me hyped for the possibilities. Either way, I'm satisfied with the current roster right now, including Mewtwo, and I do expect to see more DLC characters on the way. As for exclusive Wii U characters, we'll see if Sakurai was just trolling us or perhaps changed his mind. It's not like it would be out of the ordinary if he did haha! :laugh:

D

Deleted member

Come to think of it, I think DLC will also be filling those other 3 spots..... or there could be Wii U exclusives offered as DLC on the 3DS
Yes, but what about an arrow button on the 3DS CSS? That could open up an entirely new page. I think more pertinent is how many spots are left on the Wii U CSS. Which, unless they resize the icons, it looks like 11 more characters can fit on that starting roster screen, but minus 9 unlockables including Mewtwo means they could fit two more. Of course resizing is always an option, seeing as how they had to accommodate losing Ice Climbers and gaining Lucina/Pit/Dr. Mario as well as Sheik, and maybe even losing Squirtle and Ivysaur. It's probably not likely that they have planned DLC characters around the CSS.

Wyntir

NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
It's possible........I wouldn't have any objection to him being a playable character in the game. Still going to expect the roster we already know from the 3DS version but it would not surprise me if new exclusive characters appeared on the Wii U version, at least for a couple months or so, and then they are added via a patch to the 3DS version after a set time period. I told myself I wouldn't get excited over something that very well might not happen, but just talking about it gets me hyped for the possibilities. Either way, I'm satisfied with the current roster right now, including Mewtwo, and I do expect to see more DLC characters on the way. As for exclusive Wii U characters, we'll see if Sakurai was just trolling us or perhaps changed his mind. It's not like it would be out of the ordinary if he did haha! :laugh:
I agree. I still wish Bad Mr. Frosty n Bomberman had chances as DLC

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace

Same here. I'll pass the salt around for everyone too. :salt:

I have a proposition that may satisfy what Sakurai said about "both games having the same roster."

If there are "exclusive characters" on the Wii U version, it could be that they aren't finished yet for the 3DS version. They could be still in the works to be made compatible for the 3DS version--where you might be able to link and transfer these characters over when a patch is released that makes them compatible. Just a thought.

Or, something of the sort.

Last edited:

ccthirteen

Smash Apprentice
The only thing that strikes me as possible for the Wii U exclusivity of characters would be :icsmelee:, since they stated that they couldn't get it done on the 3DS. It'd be interesting to see them make a return even if only on the console.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The only thing that strikes me as possible for the Wii U exclusivity of characters would be :icsmelee:, since they stated that they couldn't get it done on the 3DS. It'd be interesting to see them make a return even if only on the console.
It won't happen, unless they're fixed for the 3DS. Which means a very long time from now if ever.

Timed exclusives are possible, but they need to be easily doable on the 3DS as soon as possible. Ice Climbers sadly aren't.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
It won't happen, unless they're fixed for the 3DS. Which means a very long time from now if ever.

Timed exclusives are possible, but they need to be easily doable on the 3DS as soon as possible. Ice Climbers sadly aren't.
Agreed on that. The only possibility, thought not realistic, is having them as a DLC for the Wii U and the new 3ds which may have the necessary hardware power to have them work. Again, the chances on that are slim just a thought for a SLIGHT possibility.

Sorry, never was a fan of the ice climbers, I would rather have other series rep ... like bomber man as an example of a single rep ... just my thoughts.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Agreed on that. The only possibility, thought not realistic, is having them as a DLC for the Wii U and the new 3ds which may have the necessary hardware power to have them work. Again, the chances on that are slim just a thought for a SLIGHT possibility.

Sorry, never was a fan of the ice climbers, I would rather have other series rep ... like bomber man as an example of a single rep ... just my thoughts.
Not possible either. 3DS players getting screwed over is the main reason why the rosters are the same. So nobody does. I want them back, but only if fixed for the regular 3DS. I see no legitimate reason to screw over any player. Period.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Sadly, the IC are most likely not coming back, but I'd like to see the Summit stage in the Wii U version, so we can remember

About this thread, anyone considering Impa may have a chance?

BubbaDuke

Smash Apprentice
Sadly, the IC are most likely not coming back, but I'd like to see the Summit stage in the Wii U version, so we can remember

I would definitely be looking at Zelda for possible DLC newcomers.

One Nintendo's biggest franchises, and no new characters since Melee.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I would definitely be looking at Zelda for possible DLC newcomers.

One Nintendo's biggest franchises, and no new characters since Melee.
Since Brawl, you mean. Toon Link is still a newcomer, despite being an obvious replacement and similar to Young Link.

zony514

Smash Apprentice
NNID
zoniken514
3DS FC
1633-5281-0428

I do really want IC back, but sadly I must face reality to accept they're rejection. Furthermore I'd blame the 3DS for not having enough machine power to break the limit.

That Impa trophy in the 3DS version had a parenthesis in her name than any other Ocarina of Time characters except for the main 3 (Link, Zelda, Ganondorf), which I do think there's some kind of meaning why they placed it there. If not there shouldn't be such parenthesis in the beginning for Impa, so may be she may appear as a DLC if possible. Not to mention LoZ rosters didn't have any new characters this time, so they should deserve one I suppose.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace

A little something I found on their channel. The video was included on a playlist with this description:

"Publishers invite us to different gaming events all over Europe. These are the presentations in which they inform us about their games."

The bolded part intrigues me. I mean we could assume that they were getting information from some of the reps there at Nintendo, Austria. However, I wonder what the chances are they were told not to speak about Wii U exclusive unlockable characters rather than straight up unlocking them?

What I mean is:

What if the Nintendo reps gave them that info, saying "not to talk about those Wii U exclusive characters", or something. It could be that the review group misinterpreted the context, assuming that they couldn't talk about the specific characters, but instead they thought it was fine to talk about the possible fact that there were more characters.

Just another thought.

On the other hand, I left a comment in attempt to gain some clarity about that segment. If they don't respond within a reasonable time, I'll message them. If they remain unresponsive, I have no idea what to do. I'm not gonna make a big deal out of it, though.

zony514

Smash Apprentice
NNID
zoniken514
3DS FC
1633-5281-0428
What about Bayonetta?
I doubt she'll be playable. She's a Sega character and we already have Sonic in Smash so I do think she'll have no chance of becoming playable. Unless she appears as a trophy like Rayman that's the different question.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
A little something I found on their channel. The video was included on a playlist with this description:

"Publishers invite us to different gaming events all over Europe. These are the presentations in which they inform us about their games."

The bolded part intrigues me. I mean we could assume that they were getting information from some of the reps there at Nintendo, Austria. However, I wonder what the chances are they were told not to speak about Wii U exclusive unlockable characters rather than straight up unlocking them?

What I mean is:

What if the Nintendo reps gave them that info, saying "not to talk about those Wii U exclusive characters", or something. It could be that the review group misinterpreted the context, assuming that they couldn't talk about the specific characters, but instead they thought it was fine to talk about the possible fact that there were more characters.

Just another thought.

On the other hand, I left a comment in attempt to gain some clarity about that segment. If they don't respond within a reasonable time, I'll message them. If they remain unresponsive, I have no idea what to do. I'm not gonna make a big deal out of it, though.
I'm thinking that its probably the case they'll realize they screwed up and not say anything. I'm legitimately starting to believe the Wii U might have more characters, and a patch will add the ability to unlock these characters (and potential new stages) on Smash 3DS.

Wyntir

NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
I doubt she'll be playable. She's a Sega character and we already have Sonic in Smash so I do think she'll have no chance of becoming playable. Unless she appears as a trophy like Rayman that's the different question.
True true. It was a nice idea :/

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Isn't this thread irreverent since there ARE no unrevealed characters on the wii u version?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom