• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Theory on yet unrevealed characters and the WiiU/Future Unannounced DLC Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geizt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Icarus
3DS FC
3196-3334-4755
As a WiiU and 3ds owner. I feel it would be pretty bs to give me the same game with a few more levels and HD for $20 extra after waiting a month and a half longer for it as well. I'm buying it either way, But I don't get how making the game bigger and better offends/upsets people.

lightdasher

Smash Lord
As a WiiU and 3ds owner. I feel it would be pretty bs to give me the same game with a few more levels and HD for $20 extra after waiting a month and a half longer for it as well. I'm buying it either way, But I don't get how making the game bigger and better offends/upsets people.
This so much

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
Dlc can go the Tekken tag 2 route and make them for free. However, The wii u version will get them exclusivley while the 3ds version must download them a few weeks after the Wii u release to hypen sales. It would be a small selection like two characters at most.

Or Dlc can go the usual route and charge you for 4 extra characters to complete the roster. Each character gets released at a diffrent time, between a few weeks to a month. Dlc must be purchased through your Nintendo Netork ID so you dont have to rebuy it if you have both versions. Each character comes with a stage exlusive to the Wii u, 3ds gets on new stage for free. Alt costumes could work like UMVC3 and release them in themed packs

This of course if Dlc is going to be a thing for this game.

Dyguren

Smash Journeyman
Which is why i support the idea of getting more characters, whether it's gonna be like rumors say or another way. We all know that modes and a few more stages aren't gonna be incentive enough for many ppl.

Raido

Smash Apprentice
If you think the additional content for the WiiU Version is not enough, then don't buy it.
If you have Pokemon X and you think there is not enough additional content in Pokemon Y, don't buy it.
If you have Street Fighter 4 and you think there is not enough additional content in Ultra Street Fighter 4, don't buy it.
If you have Monster Hunter 4 and you think there is not enough additional content in Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, don't buy it.
If you have Street Fighter x Tekken for the PS3 and you think there is not enough additional content for the Vita Version, don't buy it.
If you have Zelda: The Wind Waker and you think there is not enough additional content in the HD Version, don't buy it.

Don't complain if you buy a game that is the same in it's core, like another game you already own.

Geizt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Icarus
3DS FC
3196-3334-4755
If you think the additional content for the WiiU Version is not enough, then don't buy it.
If you have Pokemon X and you think there is not enough additional content in Pokemon Y, don't buy it.
If you have Street Fighter 4 and you think there is not enough additional content in Ultra Street Fighter 4, don't buy it.
If you have Monster Hunter 4 and you think there is not enough additional content in Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, don't buy it.
If you have Street Fighter x Tekken for the PS3 and you think there is not enough additional content for the Vita Version, don't buy it.
If you have Zelda: The Wind Waker and you think there is not enough additional content in the HD Version, don't buy it.

Don't complain if you buy a game that is the same in it's core, like another game you already own.
If there are Characters only available through getting both awesome. (Pokemon )
If they update the gameplay to settle issues on the 3ds version awesome.(street Fighter )
If they have more Bosses, equipment, and levels I'm all for it.( Monster Hunter)
If they do a simple port well I'll deal and still get it because i already have a wiiU. (Street X Tekken standstill)
Most of us can't play windwaker anymore. So marketing wise it was good to move it to a current gen console.(eh)

I'm buying it either way as stated previously. My main issue is people getting mad at the thought of more content on the WiiU.
And do you honestly think nintendo would cheap out and just do a glorified port with a bit more content for one of their biggest games. Nintendo wants to sell this. Nintendo wants to sell WiiUs. So Nintendo doesn't want you to think of the "don't buy it" option. They want you to think you must have it. At least that's my take .

*** And for the record I bought both the 3ds and WiiU version of MH4U which only had HD and Online over the 3ds version.

Last edited:

Tumbleweed Tuner

Smash Apprentice

Strangely enough, voting with your wallet doesn't work. When companys see that a game did not profit well, they don't just realize that there wasn't enough content or something. Instead, they see it as something wrong with the game itself. This leads to all sorts of insanity like spending thousands of dollars on ground breaking graphics that look dated in a few years. Or the publishers thinking it was a developer problem, or that the game doesn't have a audience to sell to. It sounds crazy because it is. It is like a cliche sitcom where the husband upsets the wife, and the wife is mad but refuses to say what the problem is.

On the other hand, protesting and complaining do work. They can be nasty things when used distastefully. However, this is the best way to show companys what the problem is. Imagine if people decided to not buy Mass Effect 3 instead of complaining about it. However, you do have to take into consideration about the people you are complaining to. Sakurai is crazy busy with the production of smash, so it is bad to target him with complaints.

Example scenerio: Ridley is not in the game in at all. I would not clog the smash boards with my complaints. I would complain in a thread dedicated for such things ( there was one on smash 4 disappointments ), in a respectful manner towards Nintendo, but show my complete distaste for such a exclusion.

Sakurai has been addressing a lot of things like Ice Climbers. We need to tell them what we think is wrong, but we don't need to lose our minds.

Last edited:

Raido

Smash Apprentice
And do you honestly think nintendo would cheap out and just do a glorified port with a bit more content for one of their biggest games. Nintendo wants to sell this. Nintendo wants to sell WiiUs. So Nintendo doesn't want you to think of the "don't buy it" option. They want you to think you must have it. At least that's my take .
The WiiU Version is not a port. They worked on both versions simultaneously. And the WiiU Version is clearly the lead platform.

If the game ends up with exclusive characters, that's fine with me. The problem is, that people expect crazy exclusive content for the WiiU Version. In the end, the people will just be disappointed, just like they were after the final roster was leaked and they hyped Ridley and Mewtwo. Just because it would be good for Nintendo, doesn't mean they will do it. If they wanted to sell WiiUs with the game, they should've kept it as a WiiU exclusive title or make a very distinctive version of the game. They didn't. The core (playable characters) is the same, at least that's how they are marketing it.

I would love if the WiiU Version gets exclusive characters or something else that is "big", but I don't expect it, because chances are very high that it won't be the case...

Strangely enough, voting with your wallet doesn't work. When companys see that a game did not profit well, they don't just realize that there wasn't enough content or something.
This is about games that have versions with just minor additional content. If you have version 1 and there is version 2 with just minor additional content, you have to decide if it's worth the money. It's not about voting with your wallet. It's just about the consumer. You think it's worth to basically buy the same game again? Okay, no reason to complain. You think it's not worth it? Okay, don't buy it and enjoy your version. No reason to complain.
If doesn't matter if a consumer doesn't like that the later version exists. It's just about the decision which version you buy. All the examples I made sell quite well, showing that this isn't really an issue.

Dyguren

Smash Journeyman
The WiiU Version is not a port. They worked on both versions simultaneously. And the WiiU Version is clearly the lead platform.

If the game ends up with exclusive characters, that's fine with me. The problem is, that people expect crazy exclusive content for the WiiU Version. In the end, the people will just be disappointed, just like they were after the final roster was leaked and they hyped Ridley and Mewtwo. Just because it would be good for Nintendo, doesn't mean they will do it. If they wanted to sell WiiUs with the game, they should've kept it as a WiiU exclusive title or make a very distinctive version of the game. They didn't. The core (playable characters) is the same, at least that's how they are marketing it.

I would love if the WiiU Version gets exclusive characters or something else that is "big", but I don't expect it, because chances are very high that it won't be the case...

This is about games that have versions with just minor additional content. If you have version 1 and there is version 2 with just minor additional content, you have to decide if it's worth the money. It's not about voting with your wallet. It's just about the consumer. You think it's worth to basically buy the same game again? Okay, no reason to complain. You think it's not worth it? Okay, don't buy it and enjoy your version. No reason to complain.
If doesn't matter if a consumer doesn't like that the later version exists. It's just about the decision which version you buy. All the examples I made sell quite well, showing that this isn't really an issue.
I didn't said that, Geizt did.

Critzilean

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Critzilean
3DS FC
1693-2152-0414
Switch FC
SW-2556-2425-6120
There definitely aren't going to be characters that are restricted to only one version. I also recall Sakurai saying he did't want to screw over anyone that only bought one version of the game (I will attempt to find a link). So my bet is definitely on a few characters simply getting patched in upon Wii-U release to hype it up (maybe a few days early for the Wii-U so there is more incentive to buy it). I honestly think that more stages/music/modes/etc combined with better control scheme and HD graphics are enough to attract people to the game over the 3DS version.

Last edited:

Cherubas

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0774-4746-9812
I'm really hoping there are new characters added when the wii u one comes out. Honestly I'd even be okay with the wii u version having the characters exclusively for a week or two before they're available on the 3ds to give that much more incentive to buy the wii u one. We were promised the same characters in both versions though, so I'm pretty confident that there won't be wii u exclusive characters.

Honestly though I'll be satisfied with any characters they decide to add, and if they don't add any then... Whatever. Thing is, the one character I wanted more than any other in existence was Bowser Jr. There's no way they could top that when the wii u version comes out for me. Or ever again, really, Bj is my favorite of all Nintendo characters. I mean I'd be pretty excited if they decided to add Vaati, Geno, or Nester, but right now the likely candidates seem to be Ridley, Dixie, Mewtwo, Chorus Men, Bandana Dee (if that's the name), and maybe Impa, and honestly none of those gets my pulse up (though Impa could be fun if she's not a sheik clone). I'd love new characters (I play a lot of MOBAs, we always love new characters) but I if all the new character stuff just turns out to be empty rumors I hope people will remember that we have a pretty awesome roster already. I feel like with Smash Bros method of revealing characters leading up to the game some people have lost all hype for the actual roster by the time the game comes out, cause they've had months to a year to get over it basically. Which means that when the game does finally come out they want something else to be excited over, and that's why rumors start to look so good. Then when they turn out to be false, people claim the game's roster sucks. Smash 4 turned out pretty good I think.

Staccato

Smash Cadet
From the point of view of someone who only owns a 3DS and has no intention whatsoever of getting a WiiU, I'm perfectly okay with the WiiU version getting new characters that are exclusive for that version for weeks/months... As long as in the end, both versions can have the exact same roster, just like Sakurai said it would be.

the8thark

Smash Lord
As long as in the end, both versions can have the exact same roster, just like Sakurai said it would be.
That would make the WiiU version just the 3S version in HD. Anything special character wise would have to be dumbed down to the lowest common denominator (ie the 3DS). It's a let down to the WiiU fans actually. We know it's what Sakurai wants, but it still a let down.

LordVacation

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SpaceVacation
3DS owners I've found are VERY selfish when it comes to this game.
One guy legit told me that Wii U should ONLY have the HD graphics as it's bonus... yeah.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
One guy legit told me that Wii U should ONLY have the HD graphics as it's bonus... yeah.
Now that I find dumb. I want more stuff besides characters(who I think should always be identical in this type of game) and HD. :/

Staccato

Smash Cadet
I honestly hope the WiiU version will be amazing and will have many modes that are unique to that version alone, personally (yeah, even if I'm not getting that version and I don't plan to in the future). But, well, Sakurai said the roster were gonna at least be identical, so that's what I expect. It's not a matter of egoism, it's a matter of the game director to be coherent with his own words.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I honestly hope the WiiU version will be amazing and will have many modes that are unique to that version alone, personally (yeah, even if I'm not getting that version and I don't plan to in the future). But, well, Sakurai said the roster were gonna at least be identical, so that's what I expect. It's not a matter of egoism, it's a matter for the game director to be coherent with his own words.
Temporarily different characters would be okay. Since it still is the same roster overall. But only to that degree. DLC day 1(free perhaps) for the 3DS version while the Wii U has some new ones is just as good.

the8thark

Smash Lord
Sakurai said the rosters will be the same. He didn't say each character has to be the same across both versions. Meaning you can tone down a character to fir the 3DS but you can flesh it out more for the WiiU. Ice Climbers exactly fits this, you could have one climber on screen at one time for the 3DS but have both on screen at the same time on the WiiU.
Other characters could have similar differences between the versions.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sakurai said the rosters will be the same. He didn't say each character has to be the same across both versions. Meaning you can tone down a character to fir the 3DS but you can flesh it out more for the WiiU. Ice Climbers exactly fits this, you could have one climber on screen at one time for the 3DS but have both on screen at the same time on the WiiU.
Other characters could have similar differences between the versions.
He said they will play exactly the same across both versions as well.

So no, not really. Revamping the IC's to be one is possible, but it has to be on both or none. I wouldn't like that approach, but eh.

The partner characters like Pikmin and Luma can run at 60 FPS on the Wii U version, but there won't be any actual gameplay differences. Lag is another story.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I didn't know this. Thanks for pointing that out. It's a shame though, that the WiiU version seems to be more and more compromise at best.
He did say he wanted to make both. I think it's logical enough. I would not mind different taunts/victory screens/etc. As long as nothing affects regular gameplay, it's possible. IMO, I doubt it'll happen.

MarthFanatique

Smash Journeyman
To be honest, if it has extra characters it has a good chance of taking away sales from the 3DS version. That's not a good business decision. So it can go either way. I'd like to see what'll happen, but I don't even care if it's the final roster even with DLC. We have a huge roster anyway.
I feel as if the notion of having two versions of Smash in the first place inevitably causes some people to pick and choose which version they will buy, resulting with Nintendo essentially fighting itself for sales. If there was only one version (whether it would have been 3DS or Wii U) it overall would have better. This of course is excluding some outstanding variables such as consumers who buy a copy of each (the average consumer won't buy both versions) or the possibility of the Wii U version not selling as well because of the dismal sales of the console itself.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I feel as if the notion of having two versions of Smash in the first place inevitably causes some people to pick and choose which version they will buy, resulting with Nintendo essentially fighting itself for sales. If there was only one version (whether it would have been 3DS or Wii U) it overall would have better. This of course is excluding some outstanding variables such as consumers who buy a copy of each (the average consumer won't buy both versions) or the possibility of the Wii U version not selling as well because of the dismal sales of the console itself.
But of course. I like the fact it has the same roster because it still appeals to both crowds in a fair way. As the series is sold based upon the roster alone(not that other stuff doesn't help), making sure both is the same means you can pick and choose either and still win. I think that's the major selling point of this.

Anyway, the exclusive modes, more accessible controller(for some), and higher content alone might do it. I've picked up "both" of things before anyway. The thing that made it worth it is having exclusive content. Take Soul Calibur II. I got the Xbox and GameCube versions. Why? Spawn and Link. I bought the 3DS and PS3 Generations. Why? Unique controls and courses. That alone is incentive, as long as they're different enough. Of course, Spawn alone is a pretty good incentive cause he's awesome. :p But it was also cheap, so... depends the price too.

MarthFanatique

Smash Journeyman
But of course. I like the fact it has the same roster because it still appeals to both crowds in a fair way. As the series is sold based upon the roster alone(not that other stuff doesn't help), making sure both is the same means you can pick and choose either and still win. I think that's the major selling point of this.

Anyway, the exclusive modes, more accessible controller(for some), and higher content alone might do it. I've picked up "both" of things before anyway. The thing that made it worth it is having exclusive content. Take Soul Calibur II. I got the Xbox and GameCube versions. Why? Spawn and Link. I bought the 3DS and PS3 Generations. Why? Unique controls and courses. That alone is incentive, as long as they're different enough. Of course, Spawn alone is a pretty good incentive cause he's awesome. :p But it was also cheap, so... depends the price too.
Right. I do agree and see where you're coming from with what you're saying. You mentioned about an identical roster appealing to both crowds in a fair way; I think this notion of what is "fair" is the root of the area of contention in the community. Some say Wii U version should have exclusive characters to justify the price point (game and system both inherently being more expensive), and I understand that sentiment. However, I understand the counter argument stating that the Wii U version already has many incentives (i.e. HD, more music, more trophies, different modes?).

Just my personal bias, but I am extremely indifferent to trophies; that being said, it still is an exclusive for the Wii U. 3DS version has Smash Run, and even if some individuals hate it, it nonetheless is an exclusive for that version. Also, in regard to the roster, if Sakurai is to break the "same roster" pledge, then I feel like the IC's would be the most forgivable character because he and his development team tried their damnedest to include them on both versions. In this regard, if the IC's are functional and ready, then it seems foolish to "punish" the Wii U version. But I digress (and don't want this to become an IC's argument thread).

Geizt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Icarus
3DS FC
3196-3334-4755
I've heard that Sakurai was planning it only as a 3ds release. Sounds dumb but it's been quoted a lot. And if that was the case the WiiU version only having HD and a few bonus levels would be considered a glorified port in my book. Especially since the release dates were different.

Just to be clear I'm not upset if it's the same game. A bit disappointed at the possibility of wasted potential yeah. I'm mainly confused as to why it wouldn't be "fair" to 3ds owners. If Nintendo put as much as they could into the 3ds version why not expand to what they can in the WiiU as well. Most people I've met with a WiiU also have a 3ds. But most people with a 3ds do not have a WiiU. Nintendo most likely knows this. So why would they not make the incentive worth while? They already have the ability to connect the two. It just seems like most 3ds owners would cripple the potential of this game based on selfish "fairness".

Sorry I'm just at a loss. Just a few hypotheticals here.

What if they could put all majorly requested characters into the WiiU version that they couldn't on the 3ds because of hardware restraints? Do you think the fans of said characters would rather them not be in it at all? Do you think fans of smash would be upset that the more expansive option exists for a price or would you rather no better option at all?

D

Deleted member

I hope they never do a handheld Smash game again. I mean it was a nice commodity, but the fact that the 3DS has held back the console version of Smash? That's unacceptable to me. I'm tired of excuses and apologies. I'm tired of cuts, delays, and missed opportunities. I'm tired of thinking, "maybe in the next Smash game..."
Just make the freaking world's best Smash game that everybody wants already!

Geizt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Icarus
3DS FC
3196-3334-4755
I hope they never do a handheld Smash game again. I mean it was a nice commodity, but the fact that the 3DS has held back the console version of Smash? That's unacceptable to me. I'm tired of excuses and apologies. I'm tired of cuts, delays, and missed opportunities. I'm tired of thinking, "maybe in the next Smash game..."
If only it were that easy haha. I mean handheld smash is awesome. I love it. And for anywhere smashing it's great.
And if they don't allow it to hold back the WiiU title. I honestly will have little to no problem with the 3ds title.

Dyguren

Smash Journeyman
Totally agreed with you, the 3ds was a terrible idea. They simply did it because japanese love handheld consoles, but they forgot how that would hurt so much the home console version of the game's potential...

the8thark

Smash Lord
People would want a roster of 12 different coloured Ridleys and nothing else.
The game needs to be damn good and not a handheld compromise as the WiiU version is. But just appeasing the fans blindly would make a terrible smash game.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
We don't have much to worry about with the next handheld Smash Bros. The 3DS's successor, whatever it will be, will be much more powerful than the 3DS, just like every generation! I strongly believe Ice Climbers can be in the next handheld Smash with no compromises.

the8thark

Smash Lord
We don't have much to worry about with the next handheld Smash Bros. The 3DS's successor, whatever it will be, will be much more powerful than the 3DS, just like every generation! I strongly believe Ice Climbers can be in the next handheld Smash with no compromises.
Unless the next handheld is of equal power to the next TV console, then there will always be compromises if both a hand held and a TV version are made.

TurnUp

Smash Apprentice
Will they think it's worth it to bring them back though?

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Will they think it's worth it to bring them back though?
They even brought back Dr. Mario, so I think it's likely!

Unless the next handheld is of equal power to the next TV console, then there will always be compromises if both a hand held and a TV version are made.
I meant compared to past Smash Bros. I'm under the impression 3DS wasn't strong enough to handle something that even Melee could do. The next handheld will no doubt fix that, so I'm not too worried.

Last edited:

Critzilean

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Critzilean
3DS FC
1693-2152-0414
Switch FC
SW-2556-2425-6120
Technically speaking, the portable smash didn't hold back anything, it was the decision to have the same roster :p

Really though, I don't see how anyone can say they never want a portable Smash ever again. The game itself is fantastic and a lot of what people are complaining about is more developer decisions rather than hardware limitations. There are a lot of people who prefer the portable experience to that of a console (for me, as a student, I'm not home a lot so its great to be able to play smash on the bus and in between classes). You can't blame all the game's imperfections on the 3DS version, remember Brawl? that game was far from perfect and it was only on a home console.

Cherubas

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0774-4746-9812
Honestly, they may have made more money by having two versions. I have a great many friends who bought Smash on 3ds, whereas if it was just on wii u then only a handful would have got the game and we just would have grouped up to play. I know that even for smash I'm not willing to buy a wii u atm (though I did buy a 3ds specifically for smash), so if it had been wii u exclusive i wouldn't have the game, I'd just be salty and smashless.

Last edited:

the8thark

Smash Lord
I don't think anyone hates the existence of Smash 3DS. We are all salty that the WiiU version was brought down the the 3DS level.

Cherubas

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0774-4746-9812
Brought down in what way? Lack of Ice Climbers? Cause aside from that I don't see how it was brought down at all. The graphics are still better on the Wii U one, it's going to have more trophies, undoubtedly more (and better) modes, unique complex stages, frankly complaining about something like this seems like just pointless whining. Lose one character, gain the opportunity for many more people to pick up the game. Fair trade.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't think anyone hates the existence of Smash 3DS. We are all salty that the WiiU version was brought down the the 3DS level.
Yes, this is what I mean. If there's another portable Smash that is made independently, then that's one thing. But there's no doubt that the development of the 3DS version at the same time as the Wii U version has lead to things being cut, in both versions really.

The other thing is that it's unfortunate that they decided to do a handheld Smash bros game just at the point in time when Nintendo's handheld is doing fine but the console is struggling. Sure, they may sell more Smash games overall with this method, but if it had only been on the Wii U, I bet anything it would have helped the Wii U more in the long run.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Brought down in what way? Lack of Ice Climbers? Cause aside from that I don't see how it was brought down at all. The graphics are still better on the Wii U one, it's going to have more trophies, undoubtedly more (and better) modes, unique complex stages, frankly complaining about something like this seems like just pointless whining. Lose one character, gain the opportunity for many more people to pick up the game. Fair trade.
We can only hope it has more modes. So far we don't even know. Can we even hope for an item frequency toggle?

Last edited by a moderator:

Geizt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Icarus
3DS FC
3196-3334-4755
Lack of Ice Climbers and possible newcomers due to hardware restraints. But once again. Most of us can deal with the same roster.I love the 3ds version. But why not a simultaneous release if you really aren't adding that much content. But whatever Sakurai and the SmashTeam does I'm fine with it. I am completely content with the 3ds version.
The issue here is why are most 3ds owners throwing fits at the possibility of more characters exclusive to the wiiU?

"To be" with more characters and make the game better and ultimately give more to the dedicated fan and community?
"Or not to be" what it could be so no one gets mad that a better system got a better game?

That's not a sensible question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom