• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Worcester/Boston Nintendo Release Tournament Thread!

FuzionZero

Smash Rookie
Cool stuff. How early do you think I should get there to guarantee myself a place in the tournament? My work just said I have to work that Saturday 8-12 so if anything I'll have my friend hold my place in line.

smasher32

Smash Journeyman
IT'S A TRAP!

I lost to Neal last year as well in the quarter finals at WPI... anyone who was there probably remembers the epic finish where we were both about to die but I died first by milliseconds. :-O

I'll be attending this event on the 1st, most definitely.

This is Evan btw, for those who go to WPI.
Yea, that was definitely epic. I ended up scoring first place in last year's tournament but was not able to compete in this one since I was off campus for that term :urg:.

FYI, this is Neal for anyone who doesn't know.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
The WPI Campus Center will be open 24 hours I think.

It normally is on the weekends, so thats probably gonna be where I hang out until a line starts forming.

slashinroy32

Smash Cadet
Im Just Glad The Wpi Gdc Isnt Hosting This Tournament Lol.

Remember Their Luck Fest Tournaments With 4 Player Melee Time Battles And Items On With All Stages Random Rofl

And The Prize Was A Nintendo Wii What A Waste. Gg.

smasher32

Smash Journeyman

Remember Their Luck Fest Tournaments With 4 Player Melee Time Battles And Items On With All Stages Random Rofl

quoted for truth -_-

Dantarion

Smash Champion

Well, I can't say that the best rules were chosen for that, and I do believe that 4 player time matches are broken as hell, the GDC tried I guess. I had tired to get into the GDC for the sake of looking up standard tournament rules before hosting a tournament in any game, but that looks like it won't happen, even though I have been helping run tournaments in many games(DDR, Tekken, 3rd Strike, SSBM) for almost 4 years now.

And I think they turned off some stages. But random things like Yoshi's Island 64 were still on, and I ended up playing on Brinstar Depths. At least for the last few matches, we were allowed to set our own rules, which quickly turned into "4 stock no items good stage"

NickU

Smash Rookie
Well, I can't say that the best rules were chosen for that, and I do believe that 4 player time matches are broken as hell, the GDC tried I guess. I had tired to get into the GDC for the sake of looking up standard tournament rules before hosting a tournament in any game, but that looks like it won't happen, even though I have been helping run tournaments in many games(DDR, Tekken, 3rd Strike, SSBM) for almost 4 years now.

And I think they turned off some stages. But random things like Yoshi's Island 64 were still on, and I ended up playing on Brinstar Depths. At least for the last few matches, we were allowed to set our own rules, which quickly turned into "4 stock no items good stage"

Yeah, I tried to get them to use tournament rules last year. I submitted a very detailed description of the MLG ruleset for them to look over. Long story short, they opted for a 4 person free for all tournament with all items and stages, 4 minute rounds.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Yeah, I tried to get them to use tournament rules last year. I submitted a very detailed description of the MLG ruleset for them to look over. Long story short, they opted for a 4 person free for all tournament with all items and stages, 4 minute rounds.
Is this the Nick that always dominates my falcon with falco and link?

S.P.I.C. TOM

Smash Ace
Nick U I was wondering if you could house me and a couple of my friends for this tourney. My friend Nuro, Masta fritz the haitian, and me. Please get back to me thx.

f8lmatt

Smash Apprentice
Whats up tom?? I will see you at the tourney. You know anyone who has brawl in the area so I could get some practice?

NickU

Smash Rookie
Nick U I was wondering if you could house me and a couple of my friends for this tourney. My friend Nuro, Masta fritz the haitian, and me. Please get back to me thx.
My friend Trap is trying to set something up. I'll PM you his AIM.

smasher32

Smash Journeyman
Who's this impostor stealing my name? He must be dealt with...
lulz, at least you spell it right ;).

also, i read an article that at the most recent tournament (the one in SF?), about 300 people showed up. So that might be an indication as to how early you should show up.

I'm thinking 3-5 hours early >_>

burrito

Smash Lord
I need to know, is this tournament 18 and over? I know the ones in California were, but apparently the one in New York isn't according to this: http://gonintendo.com/?p=36359. So, does anyone know for sure whether or not it's 18 and over?

Edit: Nevermind, I finally found myself an answer. It is 18+.

nytejade

Smash Cadet
I live in Taunton, I'll be leaving around 8:30am, and probably arrive at 10am. Can someone at WPI give insight into where I should be heading once I arrive? And also, does anyone think 10am is too late/early to show up? There's snow in the forecast for tomorrow morning, so that may slow things down a bit for people trying to arrive.

Looking forward to getting item'd.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
I live in Taunton, I'll be leaving around 8:30am, and probably arrive at 10am. Can someone at WPI give insight into where I should be heading once I arrive? And also, does anyone think 10am is too late/early to show up? There's snow in the forecast for tomorrow morning, so that may slow things down a bit for people trying to arrive.

Looking forward to getting item'd.
I am going to take some pictures of the Campus Center leading up to the Tourney area and post them for people.

K4ppah

Smash Rookie
Think there'll be a decent setup just to watch some of the action? I haven't owned a nintendo console since the NES, so obviously I wouldn't be competative, but I just bought a wii solely for SSBB and I wanna get a feel for what the tourney scene will look like.

Should note, I live in Holden so I'm MAYBE 5 minutes away. Should let anyone know that is traveling from afar, we're looking at 6-8 inches of snow overnight. Plan accordingly!

FuzionZero

Smash Rookie
YES! They canceled work for tomorrow so I will be able to make it. I too was wondering if it would be possible to just spectate. I haven't even played SSBM in maybe a year. I know if I enter I will probably be out in the first round haha.

And you mentioned the place that it's being held at will be open overnight so I can show up anytime? When will any of you guys be there. I will come anytime just to hang out, but I don't want to be the first one sitting around all lonely haha.

Anyways, my AIM is FuzionZero (the best way to talk to me. There are other ways in my profile) if anyone wants to chat.

My buddy doesn't know if he's coming so it's still undecided if I'm gonna go since I won't have anyone to hang out with, that I know of.

Talk to you guys later.

OrkyDaBad

Smash Cadet
So what time are people planning on showing up to this thing? Anyone know what the turnout was like for the other tourneys? I heard 300 or so, and it allows 256, I imagine not all of those people showed up six hours before.... At least I hope not, I don't know if I can wait in line for six hours...

Dantarion

Smash Champion
I AM NOT AN OFFICIAL SOURCE OF INFO

People are already there. They are supposed to start giving out armbands at like 3AM, and registration starts at 12 noon, but lines will be formed before then.

K4ppah

Smash Rookie
Assuming you'll be there and (hopefully) have internet access, could you please try to update us on the possibility of spectating once things start to get going? I understand you're not the ideal person to be asking questions, and by no means are you running the tourney, but it would be real helpful if you do find out!

Thanks again :>

Top Bottom