• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Worcester/Boston Nintendo Release Tournament Thread!

Dantarion

Smash Champion
March 1
Doors open at 3 p.m.
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Olden Hall
100 Institute Road
Worcester, MA 01609

I am a student at WPI and a member of the GDC(game development club) there that might be helping with the event. When me and a few friends got the news that this tournoment would be taking place here, we kinda freaked, because the hall listed on the Nintendo Press Release does not exist.

The press release says "Olden Hall" but there isn't a hall by that name here. Also, the press released calls the tournament "Boston" at the top, but it is in Worcester, which is about an hour from Boston
There is an "Alden Hall" which is really big, and there is a "Olin Hall" which is used for physics lectures I believe.

Anyways, I wanted to use this thread to post information and help answer question that people might have about the area around WPI such as parking and stuff. I also wanted to see just how many people are gonna be coming, because this will be one of the most epic events in my time at WPI.

Anyways.....whos gonna be there, I know I will!

dizzam

Smash Cadet
Do you know if you have to be over 18 to participate in the tournament at WPI? If not, I'm definitely going.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Someone posted in another thread that one of the other regionals said 18 only, but I am not sure about that.

Also, I talked to a GDC member, and apparently it will be held in the Campus Center Odeum, not the hall in the press release.

Moose Of Woe

Smash Cadet
I'll be going, will try to bring a group of six or seven...but only four of us or so will likely play. Looking forward to seeing ya there!

dizzam

Smash Cadet
AWESOME! I'm definitely going then. Also wondering now, is Campus Center Odeum next to the visitor parking?

Dantarion

Smash Champion
No, but thats probably a good place to park, I should link to a map of wpi
http://www.wpi.edu/About/Visitors/campusmap.html

The Campus Center is a building that is walking distance anywhere on campus pretty much. If you go upstairs inside the Campus Center, there are signs that say "Odeum". Its really easy, you can't miss it, and I'm sure signs will be everywhere.

dizzam

Smash Cadet
No, but thats probably a good place to park, I should link to a map of wpi
http://www.wpi.edu/About/Visitors/campusmap.html

The Campus Center is a building that is walking distance anywhere on campus pretty much. If you go upstairs inside the Campus Center, there are signs that say "Odeum". Its really easy, you can't miss it, and I'm sure signs will be everywhere.
Thanks for info. Should be able to find where I am when there are signs around lol.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
=P I plan on going to the school. I actually planned to visit on that day, so this is too convenient.
>.> I'm 17 though...so it might be a little iffy...
-DD

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Ill try to get some kind of clarification on the age issue, but people have been saying from the other thread that it really is 18+ only. Perhaps having a parent there works?

dizzam

Smash Cadet
Ill try to get some kind of clarification on the age issue, but people have been saying from the other thread that it really is 18+ only. Perhaps having a parent there works?
Maybe..

I hope this issue can be cleared up. ~___~;

Dantarion

Smash Champion
I think the 18+ thing has something to do with legal issues involving giving the prize to minors, or something about the fact that winnner is supposed to somehow get to New York. Has anyone heard if Nintendo is supposed to be providing transportation for the winner?

EDIT:
http://wpi.facebook.com/group.php?gid=22571300752
Official Facebook Group
(was actually created before the official announcement of the tourney)

KoreanDJ111

Smash Lord
Have to be 18 or older to enter.

Where's a good place to park?

Anyone have any room for me and some friends of mine to stay over for the night at WPI? I'd appreciate it.

Tron Knotts

Smash Rookie
I'm an editor over at www.destructoid.com, and I was planning to cover this event for the site.

Do you know who I should talk to at WPI about press being allowed in? Otherwise I'll have to line up with everyone else, and take a spot in line that could have been used for a more serious competitor.

I suck at Smash Bros, even though I love it.

Also, I'd love to interview some of you guys while I'm at it.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Well, technically, I am not a member of the group that is supposed to help runing the event, but....

You should probably email gdc@wpi.edu(GDC execs) and events@gdc.wpi.edu(GDC events staff).
They should be able to point you in the right direction. It would be awesome to get interviewed for Destructoid!

I am planned to blog from the event, and possibly record video as well, but ill post more info about that later.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
No offense, but does that really belong in this thread?
A lot of people have brawl everywhere, due to importing being easier than it used to be.
However, I think that general meetup discussion should be handled in another thread, unless you are talking about meeting up for the tournament.

Have to be 18 or older to enter.

Where's a good place to park?

Anyone have any room for me and some friends of mine to stay over for the night at WPI? I'd appreciate it.
I have a small couch that is already hard to sleep on, and not much floor space, so I can't help you there. One thing is that the tournament is being held the day after classes end at WPI, so many people's roommates will be leaving that day, but I don't know how you would find people to stay with, you might want to invest in a hotel room.

Chaos_Dude

Smash Apprentice
I can swear to you that you have to be 18+. They checked ID and everything at the one in L.A.

I can't swear that a parent won't get you in but I'm pretty darn sure. I heard complaints about such a thing and a lady who cut at the front of the line with a bunch of kids was sent away (though it could have been for cutting) My friend was over 21 but he still couldn't get his brother in. If you want to try it go ahead, but I'm practically guaranteeing you it won't work.

ILOVESMASHBROTHERS

Smash Cadet
I'm an editor over at www.destructoid.com, and I was planning to cover this event for the site.

Do you know who I should talk to at WPI about press being allowed in? Otherwise I'll have to line up with everyone else, and take a spot in line that could have been used for a more serious competitor.

I suck at Smash Bros, even though I love it.

Also, I'd love to interview some of you guys while I'm at it.
Interview me - my tag will be Phlash at the tournament :chuckle:

I won the tournament here last year and placed 2nd the year before (losing to my friend Neal in the finals... he's really good). There are a lot of good Smashers in the this area, so you should have plenty of people to talk to for impressions/interviews.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Interview me - my tag will be Phlash at the tournament :chuckle:

I won the tournament here last year and placed 2nd the year before (losing to my friend Neal in the finals... he's really good). There are a lot of good Smashers in the this area, so you should have plenty of people to talk to for impressions/interviews.

Hm..I don't think I know you....I got 4th in the tournament this year, and there are tons of good Melee players going to the college, not to mention people in the area who will commute, so this should be an awesome event.

Budai578

Smash Apprentice
IT'S A TRAP!

I lost to Neal last year as well in the quarter finals at WPI... anyone who was there probably remembers the epic finish where we were both about to die but I died first by milliseconds. :-O

I'll be attending this event on the 1st, most definitely.

This is Evan btw, for those who go to WPI.

Tron Knotts

Smash Rookie
Cool!

The GDC just got back to me, but they are still awaiting word from Nintendo about press passes.

I'd like to interview all you champs about Brawl, how you like it compared to Melee, and how you all got so competitive about Smash Bros in the first place.

And of course, to trade friend codes as well.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Sounds like a plan!

(Dantarion cries because he doesn't have a Wii and wants to win so he can play Brawl without needing to hijack his friends)

f8lmatt

Smash Apprentice
Ofttopic: I know you alot of you people have brawl, Anyone wanna have a brawlfest? need some practice..

Desruprot

Smash Lord
it is great that there is one in Boston (finally) sadly I may only due online play (unless of course I am willing to get that competitive) Brawl would be my only chance...although I also have to get the game first...

mogwaimon

Smash Apprentice
I and a few friends are driving up from Leominster for the tournament as well...we're no pros or anything, but we're hoping to win XD Personally, I'll be content to win one or two matches, and play Brawl early in the process. See ya there!

FuzionZero

Smash Rookie
Do you know if the only way to get in is to participate? Will they have just like demo stations where its non competitive? I don't mind joining the tournament just to get a chance to play if that is my only option. Also I might be able to house someone for the previous night, although I'm not sure yet. I live approx. 10-15 mins away from WPI.

My profile supplies all ways to contact me.

Cya!

Dantarion

Smash Champion
The LA tourney had a demo station, but people have reported that the lines were extremely long.

I would just come to play in the tournament, if you want to guarantee being able to play at least one good 1v1 match.

LobsterVendetta

Smash Rookie
Thank you so much for the information Dantarion.

While I'm not a very good player, I am going to participate in this event.
(I also hope to try out the Gamestop/EB Games in shop tournaments as well)

Anyhow, I apologize if this was mentioned before (I looked through the topic but didn't notice it) but is there a fee for entry?
Just curious.

Top Bottom