• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Winter Solstice: (First 3DS and Wii U Tournament) Congrats AnDEh (3DS), Congrats Zeus (Wii U)

When should this tournament be held and should there be an actual prize given to First Place?

• December 13th and 14th and yes there should!

Votes: 36 60.0%
  • December 13th and 14th and no, no thanks!

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • December 20th and 21st and yes, there should!

Votes: 19 31.7%
  • December 2oth and 21st and no, no thanks!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

marauders42

Smash Rookie
NNID
marauders42
Username: marauders42
challonge: marauders42
Nnid: marauders42

Characters: Sheik, Link, Greninja

Joining wii u tourney

Last edited:

Nicklecat

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nicklecat17
3DS FC
3840-6368-6391
I just found out that I have to work on the 13th, so I will have to drop the 3ds tournament :c

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
Is there any way I could get you to add mega man that my characters? Im really sorry about this.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
If a 3ds spot opens up I would love to have it.

DatBoiB

Smash Rookie
I would like to join for the WII U.
Username: DatBoiB
Challonge: DatBoiB
NNID: DatBoiB
Characters: Kirby & Link.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
If I can get the 3ds spot then my Nintendo ID is Krustysama

ToadsterOven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ToadsterOven
3DS FC
3711-6996-2029
If I can get the 3ds spot then my Nintendo ID is Krustysama
Give me your username / challongename / 3DS friend code and characters you shall be using in that order please :)

At long last, both the 3DS and Wii U sign up sheets have been filled and the reserves sign up sheet has even seen some action! Note that if you are on the reserves sign up sheet, I will be going in descending order ( starting with who's number 1 and then moving down to 2 and so on) when I select who will be taking the place of no-shows and dropouts during the second weekend of December which is when the winter solstice is going to be held!

Oh and now that we are in our first "Winter" month as of this post,

Seriously though, now that we are 12 days away from the 3DS tournament and 13 for the Wii U one respectively, I feel I need to make some announcements regarding The Winter Solstice.

1. I will try to get in contact with someone here on SmashBoards who can easily stream 3DS/Wii U footage on Twitch as I would like for those not playing/waiting their turn to keep themselves entertained throughout both tournaments. Also, I've decided that this Twitch user's stream would act as a "chatroom" (means of communication in other words). I would like as many people as possible to be in said Twitch user's stream at least half an hour before the start of both tournaments. If you plan on being part of the stream, please identify yourself if your twitch username is different from your smashboards username!

1.5. Some of you may be wondering exactly how this Twitch deal will work. As most of you probably know, The Winter Solstice's format is Double Elimination. What this means is that there is a Loser's Bracket. Lose a match in the top bracket, and you will be sent to the loser's bracket (the bottom bracket) where you will essentially have a second chance at winning or at least placing high enough to where you would be eligible for Battle Points! Lose a match in Loser's Bracket and that's it for you! It's over!

I will try and see if I can arrange to have two different smashboard members with Twitch accounts who meet the above criteria listed in 1. stream the regular bracket and the loser's bracket respectively. Moving on to how the streaming will actually work in this tournament, I'll have the participants of TWS (you guys and gals who have signed up) go in a set order (top to bottom) according to the Challonge Brackets. Then I will have the streamer in question (depending on what's what) host a room where the next two combatants in line will join said room. Once the streamer (the third player when the match begins) self destructs 2 (3DS) or 3 (Wii U) times, the match will officially start. The rest you can probably figure out for yourselves ;)

2. This thread itself will be your other means of communicating with one another throughout the Winter Solstice. I'd suggest keeping a few tabs open so you can easily switch back n forth between this thread and the Twitch streams

3. The 3DS tournament is still set for December 13th and the Wii U tournament is still set for December 14th! Both will start at 2PM Central Time (12PM if you live in Pacific, 1PM if you live in Mountain, and 3PM if you live in Eastern; Consult a timezone map if you live in another country). Check ins will begin two days before each tournament. Failure to check in will forfeit your right to participate! Speaking of people signing up, I'd advise that the 11 or so peeps who haven't signed up for the Wii U tournament on its Challonge page get a move on ;)

4. Regarding first place finishers in both tournaments, 20 dollars worth of e-shop funds will be sent to your 3DS and/or Wii U. Since I won't have a Wii U until Christmas day and I will be busy with Christmas and New Year's stuff after the tournament is over in addition to having a few personal days to relax enjoy my Wii U, The earliest you can expect to receive your reward(s) is after the first of 2015 (within the first few days to be more specific). Be patient is all I ask :)

5. Please, please, PLEASE let me know in advance if something comes up between now and when the tournaments start that will bar you from participating! (Those on the reserves list from this point forward will automatically take the place of the dropout assuming some else doesn't claim it first!)

I wish luck to all of you and to train hard as you steel yourselves for combat!

ToadsterOven out!

Last edited:

Accidental

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4957-2604-8969
I'd like to drop meta and jiggs from my 3ds character list, and add Villager. Also, I'd like to join Wii U reserves.
Username: Accidental
Challonge: Accidental
NNID: AccNinja
Characters: :4ness: :4villager:

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
Even though their are 0 spots left I'd suggest anyone who wants to participate in either 3DS or Wii U to still show up, there's typically more than a few people who either forget or get busy at the last moment.

Ell

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ellistun
Could you exchange Robin for Toon Link for a character I'll use
Name is Ellistun. If you can't that's okay.

Accidental

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4957-2604-8969
Cant attend 3ds tournament, somethinh came up. Please remove me from the roster.

ToadsterOven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ToadsterOven
3DS FC
3711-6996-2029
Just a question. We are allowed to use characters other than what we listed right, are the lists just up to give an idea of what to expect?
Yes. :)

In a week's time from now, the 3DS tournament portion of The Winter Solstice shall begin. The starting time for both tournaments is still 2PM Central Time (timezone maps are your friend if you don't live in Central Time or you live in another country)

I shall soon be sending reminders (no less and no more than three). The first one is a general reminder to be here for whichever tournament you signed up for assuming you didn't sign up for both. At last count, 11 or so peeps signed up for both. Kudos to those brave enough to attempt both tournaments ;)

Reminder #2 will notify you of the check in feature of the tournament's challonge pages when that feature becomes available. (I allow for up to 2 days to check in prior to the start of my tournaments)

Reminder #3 is sent a few hours prior to the start of a tournament of mine. I'm sure I don't need to beat a dead horse as to what Reminder 3 contains by this point in time.

Regarding streaming of both the 3DS and Wii U portions of The Winter Solstice, I HAVE found two different smashboard users with Twitch accounts who can easily stream 3DS/Wii U footage. They are @Jerm and @ADAPT Chance respectively. ADAPT Chance won't be able to stream on the 13th due to being involved with the Capcom Cup or something like that. I've asked Jerm if he can find another Twitch user to stream Loser's Bracket for the 3DS version. If not, the top bracket of the 3DS tournament (also known as Winner's Bracket) shall be the only bracket streamed for the 3DS portion of The Winter Solstice.

On the 14th, Jerm shall be streaming one bracket and ADAPT Chance shall be streaming the other for the Wii U portion of The Winter Solstice.

How this will work is I'll have the streamers create a room for the next two combatants to join (I'll be going from top to bottom in both brackets) made to reflect the ruleset for the tournament being streamed. Once a stage has been chosen, the streamer will first self destruct until he's out of stocks and the match will then proceed as normal.

For those worrying that having the combatants go in order of the brackets (again top to bottom), You are NOT wrong to worry about that and the amount of time it would take to successfully stream the Wii U version in particular is worrisome to say the least. This is why I'm having both tournaments start at 2 in the afternoon Central Time so that people who like their beauty sleep or might have obligations that evening/night (such as a Christmas party or event with their friends/family for example) can still get their smashing in without having to make a compromise or drop out of the tournament they are participating in.

If you are on the reserves sign up sheet, I highly recommend watching the Twitch streams just in case someone doesn't show up and you are selected to take their place.

Lastly, on the day your tournament begins, try to be in the Twitch chat stream for Jerm/ADAPT Chance's twitch room at least an hour tops prior to the actual start of the tournament (or at the minimum 20-30 minutes). If your Twitch username differs from your SmashBoards username, let us know in the Twitch chat. General online etiquette still applies on Twitch believe it or not and odds are I will probably be one of the mods on Jerm's/ADAPT Chances stream for both tournaments seeing as how I asked them both nicely (and I was the one to come up with TWS in the first place :p ) Whether I am or not, PLEASE behave yourselves. A little good natured trash talk is fine, but being a jerk to others is not! As this is Twitch we are talking about, expect to see the occasional troll/****poster trying to ruin others enjoyment of Smash 4. DO NOT I repeat DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS, this is not the youtube comments section!

For those unfamiliar with what trolls/****posters are and what they do on Twitch in particular, they usually do one of the following:

Trolls deliberately provoke a response (or try to in some cases) from their targeted audience. i.e someone will ALWAYS try to start a flamewar on a smash bros stream over which smash bros game is the best.

****posting is kind of the same thing as trolling, but whereas trolls can sometimes get creative and be subtle about their trolling, ****posting is blatantly trying to get a reaction out of someone/a group of people without any subtlety and ****posting almost always involves image macros of male genitals or links to shock sites (gorn, feces, etc)

Things I've seen trolls and ****posters do on Twitch streams that's more or less unique to that site is post links to say... a screamer site with flashing images of the infamous Jeff the Killer of Creepypasta fame. (and that's at least somewhat tame compared to the sickos that try to post links to shock sites)

OR

They post one of those image thing-ama-jigs made out of numbers and symbols such as male reproductive parts for example.Thankfully, depictions of male genitals get deleted just as soon as they get posted and usually leads to an automatic ban.

Ignore any and all troublemakers that will inevitably show up on the Twitch streaming of The Winter Solstice and report them to the mods so that they (or we if I'm one of them) can promptly ban them if not prevent them from posting in the chat for a while. I probably don't need to say this, but if any of you who've signed up are the ones causing trouble in the Twitch chat, you will first be given a warning by the mods and then a ban (which will also forbid you from further participation in the tournament assuming you are still in it). No questions asked!

I should also give a heads up to those that want to post links that aren't of the shock value kind, Twitch mods and/or other Twitch Streamers such as Mew2King are usually the only ones allowed to do that probably because of ****posters ruining it for everyone else.

Last edited:

ToadsterOven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ToadsterOven
3DS FC
3711-6996-2029
Cant attend 3ds tournament, somethinh came up. Please remove me from the roster.
Thanks for the update. I replaced you with one of the peeps on the reserves listed who had signed up for both tournaments, but could originally only be added to the Wii U sign up sheet.

Blacki

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4124-6238-1415
Could u add Sheik to my characters? thanks :)

Rudy922

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0275-8848-7364
I'd like to add Olimar to my character list if possible. Not even sure if I'll use him, but I want the option

HoodedAltair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HoodedAltair
3DS FC
4442-0574-6679
Hi, I'd like to sign up for reserves for 3DS
Username: HoodedAltair
Challonge: HoodedAltair
NNID: HoodedAltair

Characters::4falcon:

ToadsterOven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ToadsterOven
3DS FC
3711-6996-2029
As of this post, the first reminder has been sent out to EVERYONE. I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has signed up up until now. This is the most buzz a topic I have created has ever received. I also want to again thank @Jerm and @ADAPT Chance for offering their Twitch streaming services. You two really didn't have to do that :) Now that we are a few days away from The Winter Solstice's starting date for the 3DS portion, I hope most if not all who've signed up have been getting some practice in as their mains. I'm expecting to see some good-great skill in this weekend's two day event, so I ask that everyone please give it their all!

To those who STILL haven't signed up on the Wii U tournament's Challonge page, I've taken the liberty of inviting you to said tournament's Challonge page. I'd accept that invitation ASAP, but if you don't you'll soon reminded to "check in" anyway, so don't sweat it, but also be on top of your pre-tournament responsibilities as well.

I will be in the chatroom for the Twitch stream of The Winter Solstice both watching and referring to the Challonge Brackets when needed. Once again, the order the combatants (you guys) will be playing in is top to bottom. i.e the first two combatants listed in their column at the top (A) will go first, then the next two in Column B will go and so on and so first. I know this might sound a bit confusing to some hence why i'll be keeping my eyes glued to the streaming the entire time so that confusion as to whom is next as the tournament progresses occurs as minimally as possible :)

Last edited:

HoodedAltair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HoodedAltair
3DS FC
4442-0574-6679
Question, if there's 2 streamers, will there always be 2 games being played at a certain time?

Rudy922

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0275-8848-7364
Sorry to bother you, but I haven't recieved an invite to the tournament? I'm already signed up on the challonge page, but I didn't know if I still had to accept an invitation. Also, since I'm on the Challonge roster, does that mean I'm definitely in the tournament?

ToadsterOven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ToadsterOven
3DS FC
3711-6996-2029
Sorry to bother you, but I haven't recieved an invite to the tournament? I'm already signed up on the challonge page, but I didn't know if I still had to accept an invitation. Also, since I'm on the Challonge roster, does that mean I'm definitely in the tournament?
Odds are yes you will probably be in the 3DS portion of the tournament as I'm expecting a few to forget/neglect to "check in" on The Winter Solstice's 3DS Challonge page when that feature becomes available starting tomorrow. (I intend to send out another reminder when this happens so there's technically no excuse not to check in, but in my experience as a TO, there will always be one, two or even three no shows when the tournament begins and I process the check in results.)

Hope that answers your question man :)

Also, anyone in reserves on either of the challonge pages for The Winter Solstice should hang in there a bit longer just in case you end up being "summoned" to replace a no show on the day of the respective tournament portion! (3DS on Saturday and Wii U on Sunday)

ToadsterOven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ToadsterOven
3DS FC
3711-6996-2029
I have now sent out PM's to everyone participating in the 3DS portion of The Winter Solstice on Saturday to go ahead and take care of their Challonge business. (specifically the checking in part). Those participating in the Wii U portion of the tournament on Sunday will get your challonge reminder tomorrow! :)

EDIT: Some of you may have noticed that on the check in feature on the 3DS's page, it says (#) out of 36 participants checked in. A few of you have signed up and have been put on the reserves list due to the sign up sheet over on Challonge being full. I'd suggest checking in if you are on the reserves list just in case you get summoned to replace a no show (AKA someone who DOESN'T check in before the start of the 3DS tournament on Saturday)

Last edited:

SirOz

Smash Rookie
Hey,unfortunately,I think I'm gonna have to drop out.I've been having internet issues and I don't think I can have it fixed by tomorrow.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
How exactly do i "Check in"

Last edited:

Rudy922

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0275-8848-7364
How exactly do i "Check in"
You go to the Challonge page for whatever tournament you signed up on, sign into your challonge account, and you have an option to check in (You might want to be on a pc though, 'cause my phone didn't have the option)

Last edited:

Techei

Smash Rookie
NNID
Techei
3DS FC
0430-8277-3978
Hey Toadster, this may seem like last minute, but could I change my :4darkpit: into :4shulk:?

ToadsterOven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ToadsterOven
3DS FC
3711-6996-2029
Tomorrow is the day everyone! @Jerm is still willing to host the Winner's Bracket of the 3DS tournament! :) I have posted his Twitch channel link on the OP. Around 2PM Central Time tomorrow, (unless this changes) the 3DS portion of The Winter Solstice shall begin! I told Jerm to go ahead and get his stuff set up an hour beforehand. Anyone and everyone participating in tomorrow's tournament is encouraged join us in the Twitch chat before the tournament begins mostly so I can do a head count of who is actually here and who is not!

Jerm will be hosting rooms for everyone who's in Winner's Bracket (which will the only bracket streamed!). As soon as his character Self Destructs twice, the matchup will officially begin!

Anyone who finds themselves in Loser's Bracket is to get their matches done ASAP so we can keep the streaming going at a smooth pace. Below is the rules for the 3DS portion of The Winter Solstice in case any of you forgot!

(3DS Ruleset)

6 minutes
2 stocks
NO ITEMS
Customizations allowed (moves only!)
Best 2 out of 3

Stagelist (3DS)
Legal:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Omega Versions of Stages (allowed in Semi-Finals and beyond)

Counterpicks:
Arena Ferox
Tortimer's Island
Reset Bomb Forest
Lumiose City Gym

Banned:
Everything else

As I've already established in a previous post on this page, everyone participating is to be on their BEST behavior tomorrow in the Twitch chat. Twitch chat is known to have trolls/****posters who like to ruin good conversation and/or trigger flamewars i.e this game is slow and therefore sucks ass, melee is much better lolz or OMG BRAWL 2.0, how disappointing! You are all expected to ignore them and notify one of the moderators (of which I might be one of them) so that we can punish potential troublemakers.

IF and this is a big if, but nonetheless if ANY of you participating in the 3DS tournament are the ones trolling/****posting, you only have yourself to blame for what follows.

First offense: A warning will be given out to you. I suggest heeding this warning. ;)

Second offense: A brief timeout will be issued toward you. What this means is that you will be banned from posting in Twitch chat for awhile. If you are still participating in the 3DS portion of The Winter Solstice, you will be knocked down to Loser's Bracket if you were in Winner's and you will barred from further participation in the tournament if you were in Loser's.

Third offense: YOU ARE OUTTA HERE! Doesn't matter where you are if you are still in the tournament. You will be banned from further participation and you will be banned from Twitch chat on Jerm's channel for a LONG time assuming you don't get permabanned!

If you are no longer participating in the tournament and are just commenting, the rules still apply to you!

Now that you have all been notified, you cannot complain about me not warning you beforehand!

Also, Twitch moderators are usually kind of funny about people posting links. In other words, only they and other streamers like Mew2King are generally allowed to post links to say a funny youtube video or to a picture of a cute LOLCATS. I believe the reason for this is due to a bunch of morons in Twitch chat ruining it for everyone else. i.e posting links to screamers, shock sites, and/or pornographic sites is a gigantic NO-NO and is enough to warrant a permaban at most.

Even if it's a link to a harmless youtube video, you'll just have your post deleted and might be given a warning so heads up to any of you who might try to post links. Regardless of whether or not they are benign, rules are rules even if they may seem stupid to you personally and I'd hate to have any of you banned from the tournament for any reason!

tl;dr Behave yourselves and follow all Twitch rules at all times or else!

I hope to see everyone who signed up for the 3DS tournament to be here tomorrow over at Jerm's Twitch channel! IF you haven't checked in on the challonge page yet, DO SO NOW!

http://challonge.com/W1NT3RS0L3DS

If you are participating in the Wii U portion of The Winter Solstice, checking in should now be an option on it's challonge page. The Wii U tournament is still scheduled for Sunday at 2PM Central Time. More details regarding streaming will be given out tomorrow!

http://challonge.com/W1NT3RS0LWIIU

Last edited:

0ddwin

Smash Cadet
something has urgently came up and i wont be able to make it to the 3ds tournament sadly hopefully someone can replace me

numanumaking13

Smash Cadet
NNID
numanumaking21
I checked in and I am very excited for this tournament, even though I don't think I'll do well I think the experience will help me out. Good luck to all the people who are participating in the 3ds tournament tomorrow. I wish I could watch the tournament but sadly I have work.

@ ToadsterOven ToadsterOven - I noticed my username for my NNID is wrong. It is supposed to be 21 not 12. Sorry for the confusion!

ToadsterOven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ToadsterOven
3DS FC
3711-6996-2029
Bad news everyone! Jerm, the guy who was going to stream winner's bracket for the 3DS tournament has had something come up and will NOT be able to stream the tournament on Twitch. To accommodate this change, this very thread will serve as a means of communication during the tournament. Report the final results of each and every matchup and good luck to everyone!

I as well as Jerm apologize for any inconveniences him not being able to stream the 3DS portion of The Winter Solstice may have caused. :)

Top Bottom