• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The WFTGD: How About Some Deep Breathing?

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Anyone have the experience where someone like a Link is on FG, wanting to camp and throw boomerangs and shoot arrows all day to force you to approach... but then he realizes that the soccer ball is gonna just pop him in the head whenever he charges his arrows and so he ragequits?

Niala

Smash Ace
Anyone have the experience where someone like a Link is on FG, wanting to camp and throw boomerangs and shoot arrows all day to force you to approach... but then he realizes that the soccer ball is gonna just pop him in the head whenever he charges his arrows and so he ragequits?
All the time. Link's and Toon Link's think they have this unbeatable Projectile game on FG, But WFT really wrecks them.

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
Oh yeah. Tryhard Links on For Glory are easy for WFT to handle in my experience.

Fancykong

Smash Journeyman
FG Link strats:

roll to side of stage *header smack*-> Boomerang -> arrow *smack* arrow *smack* arrow *smack* arrow *smack* -> annoyed dash attack/smash attack *smack* etc.

Of course, I almost always end up either fighting a ridiculously good Link or a "counterpick" one based upon how badly they lost to projectiles as their main.

⑨ball

Smash Ace
Playing WFT on FG is like walking around a house full of puppies with a newspaper in hand trying to get them to stop going boom boom on the rug.

But maaaaaan, speaking of Link has anyone tried out his customs?

Being that he can use rtac while my current secondary (Ike) can't always had me looking at him, but he is SO much fun with customs. Sad to see his jab cancel go, but I feel like he's gonna be a really strong character with meteor bombs and quick fire arrows.

In more WFT related news, found something interesting that's so far in useless. Sideb doesn't edge cancel, which lets you jump and slide out onto the air effectively hovering during her recovery.

Also played with reverse fair a bit and noticed that you can aim for bodyparts with it and get different hitstun animations. Most notable on taller characters like Palutena who'll literally fall to their knees if you stab her in the foot with it at mid percents. I'd imagine this also effects the trip percentage. Other things like unteched ground bounces from it connecting into fsmash,bair, and reverse ftilt were also played with. Could be of use to those of you that like to whittle shields down and then stab through.​

Fancykong

Smash Journeyman
It goes both ways. Your header can bounce their can backward, and semi-fully charged SS can go through clay pigeons. Speaking of which, they have a noticeable lag after throwing their projectiles (the poses they make can't be cancelled normally), but ours don't if used correctly. So keep up the pressure with a mixture of physical moves and projectile punishes the moment they try to run.

Oh, and punish dumb runaway Fsmashes with a SS, any charge. Let them know that you can pressure them at any range.

Mix up your recovery with Down or Neutral B while saving your midair header to either hit the can or the duo. WFT is fast enough to Bair their recovery before they even grab the ledge, so take those opportunities for an early stock.

Last edited:

⑨ball

Smash Ace
atm i think my worst MU is :4duckhunt:
Any suggestions how to play against him?
It feels light he blocks every projectile I have
Don't focus so much on playing the projectile war and rush him down. If there was any character you wanted to practice punishing with nair setups on, it's DH. Push him off stage and force him to go low. After that it's pretty much a wrap. Spikes on spikes on spikes combined with a "fuel" type recovery make for easy pickings against his recovery. If he tries to use his normals, that's when you can break out SS like Fancykong mentioned, but otherwise just get in and put pressure on. Keep in mind that some of his recovery animations are low enough to duck some of our moves and you're solid.

#1 player Zero just said on his twitter that PC freaking Chris mains Wii fit in ssb4 and Zero taught him about customs as well. You guys are lucky af https://twitter.com/ZeRoSSB/status/589517854497640448
Ehhh. I'd probably be happier to see he picked up Falco. No real representation for him this game. More WFT players is never a bad thing though so~

Fancykong

Smash Journeyman
I like how basically what we said to beat Duck Hunt amounted to "screw the projectiles and beat the crap out of him."

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
It'll get simpler with customs.

Jumbo hoops pretty much breaks Every MU.
I fixed your quote

I think chrisspy might've dropped Wii fit. My friend Ven who knows chrisspy says that he doesn't know because he uses anyone then I asked about Wii fit and he said idk.

⑨ball

Smash Ace
I fixed your quote

I think chrisspy might've dropped Wii fit. My friend Ven who knows chrisspy says that he doesn't know because he uses anyone then I asked about Wii fit and he said idk.
Haha I wish. I think the Mario and Kirby MUs are still in their favor with customs.

And that's a bit disappointing, but I'm glad to hear he's ok.

Fancykong

Smash Journeyman
Hah, I've done that a few times while practicing header shots. My family got a kick out of it.

⑨ball

Smash Ace
I still can't find a good profile picture of male wii fit
That's because female wii fit is superior and the world is trying to give you a sign to switch over to the master race. :p

I'll keep an eye out for you and drop some in here if I come across anything good.
Because Wii Fit Trainer is all about making the crowd go wild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RILq3DD_cdk
Next level tech. We may have lost the sliding breathing but our taunt game is still SS.

Well Germany is more on the Anti-Custom Moves Side.
So that's no option for me.
How wide spread is Amazing Ampharos' project, because other than ease of unlocking on all systems there's really no reason not to run customs.

LordCQ

Smash Journeyman
Not sure if this has been asked but, how many of you actually parctice yoga? :)

AscWolf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AscWolf
How wide spread is Amazing Ampharos' project, because other than ease of unlocking on all systems there's really no reason not to run customs.
I know, but germany is really stubborn on that topic.
Most people don't even give customs a try or give any thouhts about the project.

well we got bpc lul

Not sure if this has been asked but, how many of you actually parctice yoga? :)
I was thinking about to get Wii Fit U, but atm I'm more broke than greece

| Big D |

Smash Master
Not as much as I used too tbh. However one really cool thing about her for me is that people have a much harder time dealing with her the first few times I play her against people. This has netted me games off Felix who usually beats my other characters. Also when I use her vs some of the top ladder monsters (anthers/dojo) I find she does well. Other than that she's mostly been for fun and what not.

However now that I'm engaged in this MM with TK I'll be labbing with her a lot more. Even now I feel people aren't maximizing their gains of combos and there are things I don't see people doing like for example reading jumps with Sun Salutation.

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
Not as much as I used too tbh. However one really cool thing about her for me is that people have a much harder time dealing with her the first few times I play her against people. This has netted me games off Felix who usually beats my other characters. Also when I use her vs some of the top ladder monsters (anthers/dojo) I find she does well. Other than that she's mostly been for fun and what not.

However now that I'm engaged in this MM with TK I'll be labbing with her a lot more. Even now I feel people aren't maximizing their gains of combos and there are things I don't see people doing like for example reading jumps with Sun Salutation.
Nooooo you were our best Wii fit I think. Do you intend to use her in other tournaments? Don't leave us.

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
Soooo I noticed that Wii Fit Trainer's suddenly skyrocketed on the tier list from second to last to about 25. What the heck happened!!? Did a WFT dominate at a tournament and I just didn't know about it??
http://www.eventhubs.com/tiers/ssb4/
Don't trust eventhubs. It's also not official and it's a horrible tier list. It's a community voting tier list.

crisspy727

Smash Apprentice
I'm actually thinking about picking her up again. Just realizing how much combo potential she has made me fall in love with her once more also I've never actually explored her with customs.

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
I'm actually thinking about picking her up again. Just realizing how much combo potential she has made me fall in love with her once more also I've never actually explored her with customs.
Good I asked Ven and he was like LOL idk who chrisspy mains. I thought you dropped her.

crisspy727

Smash Apprentice
Good I asked Ven and he was like LOL idk who chrisspy mains. I thought you dropped her.
Well yeah i did drop her for Luigi but I feel like i could give her another chance with customs since they sorta address the problems that she had.

crisspy727

Smash Apprentice
Well for starters picking up Luigi thought me a lot about fundamental's also to get rid of my bad habits of just performing N-air's i actually want to relearn her as a whole. The problems i had with her was getting on the ground safety due to being floaty and range issues but customs could cover those angles that i had problems with.

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
Well for starters picking up Luigi thought me a lot about fundamental's also to get rid of my bad habits of just performing N-air's i actually want to relearn her as a whole. The problems i had with her was getting on the ground safety due to being floaty and range issues but customs could cover those angles that i had problems with.
Range isn't much of a problem for me. Landing, header stalling is good. Deep breathing to and edgeguard for landing mix ups. Fair or nair are also pretty good.

crisspy727

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I'll go back into the lab with her also has anybody ever tried using her deep breathing as a early combo starter at lower percentage?

⑨ball

Smash Ace
Yeah I'll go back into the lab with her also has anybody ever tried using her deep breathing as a early combo starter at lower percentage?
I played around with some jab stuff, but nothing too extensive since my gameplan for DB has always been nair to usmash at 60% and I want that first quick activation.

The jab stuff was really interesting however, but I've been too lazy to make a thread. Rosalina dying to jab setups at like 40% lol.

crisspy727

Smash Apprentice
I played around with some jab stuff, but nothing too extensive since my gameplan for DB has always been nair to usmash at 60% and I want that first quick activation.

The jab stuff was really interesting however, but I've been too lazy to make a thread. Rosalina dying to jab setups at like 40% lol.
What is this jab stuff that you're talking about?

Last edited:

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
Frame canceling back hit of fair gets me fast kills with fsmash. Hmmm maybe another reliable option for a kill set up other than nair.

⑨ball

Smash Ace
What is this jab stuff that you're talking about?
Jab setups.

The back hit of jab sets up some really good tech chases which I've been looking into.

And forced releases of the grounding with jab. For the most part I'd only followed up with dtilt for damage, ftilt for speed, nair for damage/kills and uair following fast pop outs.

Did a little bit more research and found some fun things like reverse ftilt which combos into uair. Reverse jab that can setup for tech chases long after it would knock them much to high to use as such, utilt which I got from Aderyi(?) that's a nasty trap for pretty much anything you can think of, regrounding with jab, ect ect.

Neat stuff that makes her jab even more dangerous. I'll do something more detailed eventually, but I recommend playing with it. Jab coming out on frame 4 and leading to kills or 20+ damage is niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice~

Frame canceling back hit of fair gets me fast kills with fsmash. Hmmm maybe another reliable option for a kill set up other than nair.
It's pretty good. Better than most characters for sure. I've been meaning to test out how much of a difference we get in hitstun based on where we aim outside of frame cancels. I can't get things like dsmash to combo, but it hits pretty often and I'm not sure what players can do out of it in retaliation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom