• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The URC has been disbanded.

M@v

Subarashii!
As we added **** people to the URC, the stink started to appear.
I find this hilarious, considering its coming from the guy who has the tendency to post with the ignorance of a 10 year old, which reflected back so well on the URC as a whole.

And please, do share who. I'm all ears.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
URC sucked ****, you can't just say "MK is banned forever, if you don't like it SUCKS FOR U" and any ruleset they don't like they can't use

THEN force people to use their ruleset or they don't get stickied. Something like that would never stick around.

wish I woulda known that would happen before I gave my controller away to Nietono at apex though <_<
LOL, he's still butthurt.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Ironically enough, I always found Xyro to be the most mature URC member there is. :applejack:

M@v

Subarashii!
Ironically enough, I always found Xyro to be the most mature URC member there is. :applejack:
I've heard this many times, but he doesn't act like it a lot of the times he posts. Thats where the problem lies, and it makes many people think he's not mature at all :3.

Flayl

Smash Hero
It's possible for someone to be opposed against something that's "wrong" and still be "wrong".

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Someone needs to pick up iron man tournaments, and not me cuz I'm lazy

The ability to stay on topic about the URC seems to be proving difficult for everyone. Omni is not helping any either.
Well, nor am I at the moment.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
MK's existence is so closely bound with the discussion of URC that I don't consider it to be too off-topic as long as it is not drawn out too long. Hence, why I also decided not to get into another human cannonball swap battle with Overswarm.

Cassio

Smash Master
Overswarm awesome big post
Wow, this is actually very cool. I always felt MK on RC and Norfair was a bit overrated and Delfino was def worse, although I guess its still speculation. Granted this may just be the pikachu in me talking, but I think a stage really needs prevalent sharking for MK to take his full advantage on it and RC/Norfair/Halberd dont quite make the cut compared to Brinstar/Delfino. I actually love fighting MK on Norfair as pika.

Honestly though, I think the problem with RC/Brinstar wasnt that they were strong stages for MK (not that it didnt contribute) but that an extremely large portion of the community simply hates the stages for whatever given reason. They do kind of set themselves out from the rest of the stagelist though in terms of their characteristics (not saying its good or bad, they just stand out). This was what I came to find when asking opinions, and that many of those that wanted MK gone also wanted RC/Brinstar gone as well. Apex was sort of the last straw for everyone that tolerated them beforehand to just start getting rid of it in mass regardless of whether MK was banned or not.

Were just a community that enjoys rule tampering, but as Ive said before thats just something anyone that becomes part of the community has to accept in most regions. Granted I think theres a community for those who disagree with that, but eh, not that big a deal imo and too much effort. lol.

Also LOL at the -13 on pikachu. Dat ESAM.

Edit: Also I think its a bit funny/sad that pro-ban thought banning MK would be the saving grace for those two stages, LOL. And then got upset when the community didnt act in a logical manner about it. I totally read that if MK got banned those two stages would be next. Much can be said about the where the URC failed, but one of the biggest imo was that they refused to ban these stages when there was a stronger call to do so than to ban MK. For some reason beyond me though, many people thought banning MK would lead to a brawl nirvana where we removed the lgl and added controversial stages. Yeah.....

D

Deleted member

But....

You're banning fun things.

Norfair is a fantastic stage. Bring that back if anything.

Cassio

Smash Master
Well anyone can do what they want now, even the remnants of the URC encourage you to do so. So in a sense it is back so long as people are willing to host tournaments with it.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
That's the craziness of this whole shebang, Twink. People honestly thought they couldn't. :applejack:

Cassio

Smash Master
Having influence and authority is more than just having the ability to exert power.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Wow, this is actually very cool. I always felt MK on RC and Norfair was a bit overrated and Delfino was def worse, although I guess its still speculation. Granted this may just be the pikachu in me talking, but I think a stage really needs prevalent sharking for MK to take his full advantage on it and RC/Norfair/Halberd dont quite make the cut compared to Brinstar/Delfino. I actually love fighting MK on Norfair as pika.
There's ALWAYS room for more data. But when it comes to making decisions, current data is always king. You've gotta keep that as the status quo; you can't say "well, the data says this, so I agree with it... except for this one thing, cuz it's dumb", because that defeats the purpose.

I would love for the next smash to be started with some serious data mining efforts.

Honestly though, I think the problem with RC/Brinstar wasnt that they were strong stages for MK (not that it didnt contribute) but that an extremely large portion of the community simply hates the stages for whatever given reason. They do kind of set themselves out from the rest of the stagelist though in terms of their characteristics (not saying its good or bad, they just stand out). This was what I came to find when asking opinions, and that many of those that wanted MK gone also wanted RC/Brinstar gone as well. Apex was sort of the last straw for everyone that tolerated them beforehand to just start getting rid of it in mass regardless of whether MK was banned or not.

Were just a community that enjoys rule tampering, but as Ive said before thats just something anyone that becomes part of the community has to accept in most regions. Granted I think theres a community for those who disagree with that, but eh, not that big a deal imo and too much effort. lol.

Also LOL at the -13 on pikachu. Dat ESAM.

Edit: Also I think its a bit funny/sad that pro-ban thought banning MK would be the saving grace for those two stages, LOL. And then got upset when the community didnt act in a logical manner about it. I totally read that if MK got banned those two stages would be next. Much can be said about the where the URC failed, but one of the biggest imo was that they refused to ban these stages when there was a stronger call to do so than to ban MK. For some reason beyond me though, many people thought banning MK would lead to a brawl nirvana where we removed the lgl and added controversial stages. Yeah.....
Well I dunno about you, but around here we typically do have those stages, at least at any tournament with a worthwhile TO.

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
-charts pieces of raw data-
Hey Overswarm, could I kindly request a copy of the raw data for this? I'd really like to comb over something like this without re-doing the data-taking myself.

M@v

Subarashii!
<3 those statistics. Which is hilarious because I HATE MY STAT CLASS THIS SEMESTER WITH A PASSION.

Sorry about that....that just slipped right out of me :)

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Best character in the game winning the most money?

deary me

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
It's not just the fact that he's winning the most, but the fact that he's winning significantly more than the rest of the cast (iirc he makes more money than Snake Diddy and Falco combined), and I think on average he was winning 40-50% of the money made in tournament, which...shouldn't be happening in a game with like 37 characters.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
How much is "too much" though? Similarly to Meta Knight, Fox probably makes up 10-15% of Melee players. Over the span of 10 years we learned how to defeat Fox by outplaying Fox players despite his only having two or 3 even match-ups. No matter how you put it, saying "Look at this data. It's too much" is placing an arbitrary limit on exactly how much is needed to justify banning a character. It's also absurd because several Pro-Ban people have stated that the character is beatable; character ban criteria should be based on whether something is broken and unbeatable

Overswarm

is laughing at you
It's not just the fact that he's winning the most, but the fact that he's winning significantly more than the rest of the cast (iirc he makes more money than Snake Diddy and Falco combined), and I think on average he was winning 40-50% of the money made in tournament, which...shouldn't be happening in a game with like 37 characters.
More than that.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=295425

Snake's success has actually lessened after the MK ban; he still does well, but the primary reason that he did so well before was because he had most of his hard matchups taken out by MK players, which were pretty prevalent.

How much is "too much" though? Similarly to Meta Knight, Fox probably makes up 10-15% of Melee players. Over the span of 10 years we learned how to defeat Fox by outplaying Fox players despite his only having two or 3 even match-ups. No matter how you put it, saying "Look at this data. It's too much" is placing an arbitrary limit on exactly how much is needed to justify banning a character. It's also absurd because several Pro-Ban people have stated that the character is beatable; character ban criteria should be based on whether something is broken and unbeatable
That's never really been the case, nor has it been for anything smash has banned in the past. We banned items, but playing with items still result in consistent results; we've checked. We ban stages, but playing with those stages still result in consistent results there too; we checked on that for years.

None of them are too huge of obstacles.

I'm really confused why you'd not support banning a character unless they were broken and unbeatable (note: Meta Knight actually can become invincible and invisible for an indefinite amount of time; we just banned that technique and have to just watch for people extending his down+b) when the entire history of smash is banning things to make the game more fair and competitive. I'm all for leaving things legal as long as possible, but even I draw the line somewhere. Wario Ware can give us consistent results and you can control its rewards to a certain extent, but I'd still ban it.

You say "Fox makes up 10-15% of Melee players" in a game where less than ten characters can really be considered tournament viable; that's actually pretty good. I'd imagine the number is higher, or should be.

You'll notice that the majority of our characters fit into a pretty simple mold, and one you could expect based on how people pick their characters... and then a slight jump from Diddy to Falco to Snake to a huge jump for MK.

Overswarm

is laughing at you

Couldn't find the updated one, but here's one of the money winnings charts. :(

I think this was after 2 weeks of tournaments.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Being unbeatable is a bad criterion because no character/player is ever literally unbeatable. Saying MK is beatable is not exactly a good argument to say he isn't banworthy. I mean, by that logic, you would be okay with MK being legal even if he were winning 99% of the money in tournaments, because he occasionally gets beaten (hence the 1%) and is therefore beatable.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that he should have been banned. The point behind my last post was that it's incorrect to say that people wanted him banned because he's the best, used the most or wins the most money. People wanted him banned because they feel he is too good, used too much or wins too much money.

Edit: Ninja'd by a double post, WTF

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
Being unbeatable is a bad criterion because no character/player is ever literally unbeatable. Saying MK is beatable is not exactly a good argument to say he isn't banworthy. I mean, by that logic, you would be okay with MK being legal even if he were winning 99% of the money in tournaments, because he occasionally gets beaten (hence the 1%) and is therefore beatable.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that he should have been banned. The point behind my last post was that it's incorrect to say that people wanted him banned because he's the best, used the most or wins the most money. People wanted him banned because they feel he is too good, used too much or wins too much money.

Edit: Ninja'd by a double post, WTF
Akuma from SF2 would like to speak with you

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Akuma from SF2 would like to speak with you
Akuma didn't win every tournament he entered, and players could beat people that played Akuma. Unless you think Diego couldn't beat you if you played Akuma.

Anyway, I found updated stuff:

Normal Tournaments:

MK Banned tournaments:

And John's awesome info can be found here:

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=13933632&postcount=1429

But here's a snippet to put it into perspective:

Strong Bad, this isn't the case of that "one good player" winning a lot of tournaments and inflating results. This wasn't Ken/Azen/Mew2King during their respective times with Marth, or mango with Jiggs, or whoever else is popular now. This is people repeatedly and consistently dropping their mains for the same character and all having improved results even when switching from the 2nd most successful character. There is literally no reason to not pick MK when he's legal, and it is pretty clear cut that he isn't healthy to have in this game.

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
I'm sure its possible, but the difference is that Akuma had moves that no other character could remotely handle, while Metaknight doesn't.

Top Bottom