• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unofficial Super Smash Bros Balancing Committee- Anything and everything!

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Bowser needs very little help with respect to his buttons imo. Another slight aerial mobility buff as well as making him fall slightly faster would be helpful, as would improving his walk speed, which would be in line with him being a ground-based tank. Otherwise he's mostly fine as a power character.

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
:4bowser: had the opportunity to be a strong mid tier...and then they had to nerf him. Many of the things he does well are now outclassed by other characters, especially Donkey Kong. My suggested buffs:

~All aerials have decreased landing lag, and hard land frames decrease.
~Up air a bit more powerful to make up for it being kinda slow and short-ranged.
~Walk speed increased to 0.900.
~F-tilt less end lag, and D-tilt can be canceled after the first hit.

Voting :4luigi:.

Last edited:

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
:4luigi: Many people now underrate him because he's lost his ridiculous factor of down throw to down B, but he's still a very capable character with lots of strengths. He has amazing frame data which allows him to combo many moves into each other for lots of damage and escape tight situations, his kill moves are either really strong or pretty safe, and his neutral game is quite strong due to the aforementioned frame data plus his Fireball. His only glaring weakness is his gimpable recovery (and now his lack of ridiculous kill combo), and so I think he's very well balanced and high tier.

I'd like to order some :4lucas: spaghetti, that sounds delicious!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Why do you have to be so slow in the air Luigi? It would definitely help if Luigi's air speed was between 0.9 and 0.95, as that would at least make his recovery work better than always having to rely on Green Missile for all the horizontal mobility.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I'm still salty about Luigi's getting smashed with the Nerf Hammer.

1. Change the knockback of his down throw to 70 base/50 scaling.
2. Increase his air speed by a good number of units.
3. Increase the vertical and horizontal movement of Super Jump Punch.

Then he'd be a more balanced Luigi. Not entirely focused on grabs, but he has a useable grab game if it comes down to it and a better recovery to boot.

You can't spell spaghetti without Mario.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
High airspeed with Luigi's aerial frame data would be borked. Please don't. I vote :4ganondorf:.

Green L

Smash Apprentice
Many people now underrate him because he's lost his ridiculous factor of down throw to down B, but he's still a very capable character with lots of strengths. He has amazing frame data which allows him to combo many moves into each other for lots of damage and escape tight situations, his kill moves are either really strong or pretty safe, and his neutral game is quite strong due to the aforementioned frame data plus his Fireball. His only glaring weakness is his gimpable recovery (and now his lack of ridiculous kill combo), and so I think he's very well balanced and high tier.
All this can be said about mario and even dr mario. Luigi is straight up inferior to his brother in nearly every way possible. That's not balance. To balance him down throw and cyclone should go back to the way it was pre 1.1.1 but nerf the frame data on his down smash, forward tilt, and down tilt. And nerf down tilt so it doesn't trip anymore.
Increase his air speed by a good number of units.
3. Increase the vertical and horizontal movement of Super Jump Punch.
Luigi would be broken with better airspeed and a better recovery. Luigi's weaknesses should offset his grab game.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
You could always increase Luigi's air speed without touching his recovery moves though.
But the airspeed buff is exactly what would break him. Making Green Missile slightly better would be an example of a fine buff, but decent airspeed would not only affect his recovery, but make his combo game totally bonkers, it would make getting out of juggles a lot easier, it would mitigate his needed weakness when it comes to approaching, and would very quickly strengthen him in an unhealthy way.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
:4luigi:makes a mess every time he is discussed. It is almost as bad as :4pikachu:discussion. Anyways, since we jumped on Luigi all of the sudden, here are my thoughts.
  • His airspeed should NOT be increased. 1:4sheik:is enough.
  • His Hoo-hah Nado should not return.
  • His Down Throw should not return.
  • His fireball should stay nerfed.
So what I think it should be done? well, right now Luigi players mostly complain about recovery. I don't think there should be any distance increases, but some tweaking. The first is Green Missile. It is super slow and has lame hitboxes. Just an improvement on those hitboxes is necessary. Next is to make it easier to mash Luigi Cyclone to recover, as not everyone is a robot masher like Mr. ConCon and struggles to recover. And the last thing, is the return of D-Tilt.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
High airspeed with Luigi's aerial frame data would be borked. Please don't. I vote :4ganondorf:.
Not high air speed, just air speed that doesn't suck.
Luigi would be broken with better airspeed and a better recovery. Luigi's weaknesses should offset his grab game.
Oh please, it's going to take a lot more than better air speed to break Luigi.

And yeah, I forgot about his Cyclone, it is such a ****ing struggle to get sufficient height with that thing. Most of the time you end up losing more height than you gain.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
But the airspeed buff is exactly what would break him. Making Green Missile slightly better would be an example of a fine buff, but decent airspeed would not only affect his recovery, but make his combo game totally bonkers, it would make getting out of juggles a lot easier, it would mitigate his needed weakness when it comes to approaching, and would very quickly strengthen him in an unhealthy way.
I would think that setting Luigi's air speed to a value that's between 0.9 and 0.95 (preferably 0.92) would at least help with his recovery issues. In fact, even if his air speed is set to 0.92, Luigi would still be faster on the ground than in the air.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
I would think that setting Luigi's air speed to a value that's between 0.9 and 0.95 (preferably 0.92) would at least help with his recovery issues. In fact, even if his air speed is set to 0.92, Luigi would still be faster on the ground than in the air.
So you're proposing an airspeed buff that's more than twice what Samus got last patch on a character with some of the best frame data on his aerials in the game(with good damage to boot)? If he could chase anyone at all in the air he'd have insane frame traps because his aerials have hardly any endlag. If you just want to make his recovery better, make Green Missile better, because then it would just address that issue without breaking him elsewhere.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
So you're proposing an airspeed buff that's more than twice what Samus got last patch on a character with some of the best frame data on his aerials in the game(with good damage to boot)? If he could chase anyone at all in the air he'd have insane frame traps because his aerials have hardly any endlag. If you just want to make his recovery better, make Green Missile better, because then it would just address that issue without breaking him elsewhere.
While one may argue that increasing Luigi's air speed is a bad thing, I can pretty much say that Kirby desperately needs an air speed buff more, because his Final Cutter doesn't really cut it with its weak horizontal mobility.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
A .2 air speed buff is not going to turn this character into Meta Knight. It's the least they can do to make up for everything he lost with the down throw nerf.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
A .2 air speed buff is not going to turn this character into Meta Knight. It's the least they can do to make up for everything he lost with the down throw nerf.
A .2 air speed buff is really massive. It's basically the difference between Mario's and Doc's airspeed. Luigi's aerials are insanely good, only held back by his air speed and mobility. A .02 airspeed increase probably wouldn't be too much, but a .2 increase is giant and really shouldn't be seriously proposed for anyone outside of an extremely short list that probably only consists of King Dedede.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
A .2 air speed buff is really massive. It's basically the difference between Mario's and Doc's airspeed. Luigi's aerials are insanely good, only held back by his air speed and mobility. A .02 airspeed increase probably wouldn't be too much, but a .2 increase is giant and really shouldn't be seriously proposed for anyone outside of an extremely short list that probably only consists of King Dedede.
Kirby says hello there, as he would definitely appreciate a 0.2 air speed increase so that he's not required to have to use up his mid-air jumps too soon. I've already mentioned how Final Cutter barely offers any horizontal movement, and in tournaments that don't allow customs, you can't always rely on Upper Cutter to help you out.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
You're really exaggerating. As of now, Luigi has an air speed value of 0.73, the worst in the game second only to Dedede's 0.63. A .2 air speed buff would bring Luigi up to 0.93, still the 12th worst in the game tied with Falco. If Dedede deserves it, I'll be damned if Luigi doesn't too.

And by the way, adding .2 to Doc's air speed would put him in between Sonic and Little Mac.

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
You're really exaggerating. As of now, Luigi has an air speed value of 0.73, the worst in the game second only to Dedede's 0.63. A .2 air speed buff would bring Luigi up to 0.93, still the 12th worst in the game tied with Falco. If Dedede deserves it, I'll be damned if Luigi doesn't too.

And by the way, adding .2 to Doc's air speed would put him in between Sonic and Little Mac.
Except Luigi was designed to have some of the best aerials in the game and one of the worst aerial mobilities to keep them in check. Luigi is also much better than King Dedede, who is a bottom 5 character. Luigi right now is an average character and doesn't really need massive buffs to anything, let alone a key mobility parameter that affects every aspect of his game.
Kirby says hello there, as he would definitely appreciate a 0.2 air speed increase so that he's not required to have to use up his mid-air jumps too soon. I've already mentioned how Final Cutter barely offers any horizontal movement, and in tournaments that don't allow customs, you can't always rely on Upper Cutter to help you out.
Kirby probably does merit an airspeed increase, but a 0.2 one is big for any character, and I wouldn't go that far for him. 0.05-0.08, along the lines of ones given to other characters would seem more appropriate. He would be tamer than most other characters with poor airspeed though, especially Luigi.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Kirby probably does merit an airspeed increase, but a 0.2 one is big for any character, and I wouldn't go that far for him. 0.05-0.08, along the lines of ones given to other characters would seem more appropriate. He would be tamer than most other characters with poor airspeed though, especially Luigi.
The problem is, Kirby's recovery is nowhere near as versatile as that of Meta Knight, who really didn't need to have his air speed buffed up to 0.99; all of Meta Knight's special moves can potentially be used for recovery.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Except Luigi was designed to have some of the best aerials in the game and one of the worst aerial mobilities to keep them in check. Luigi is also much better than King Dedede, who is a bottom 5 character. Luigi right now is an average character and doesn't really need massive buffs to anything, let alone a key mobility parameter that affects every aspect of his game.
You act like Luigi has Sheik's aerials or something. None of them combo into each other except for forward air, and even then you can only get two at most, three with an increase in air speed. I could see if he had aerials like Mario where every single one of them comboed into each other some way, but that's not the case with Luigi, and a minor air speed buff wouldn't change that.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
The problem is, Kirby's recovery is nowhere near as versatile as that of Meta Knight, who really didn't need to have his air speed buffed up to 0.99; all of Meta Knight's special moves can potentially be used for recovery.
True. Also the ladder wouldn't have been as much of a problem if he couldn't follow DI as easily. In general all of the multi-jump chars except him and Puff have poor airspeed, and airspeed buffs affect those characters' recoveries more than they would with normal chars.
You act like Luigi has Sheik's aerials or something. None of them combo into each other except for forward air, and even then you can only get two at most, three with an increase in air speed. I could see if he had aerials like Mario where every single one of them comboed into each other some way, but that's not the case with Luigi, and a minor air speed buff wouldn't change that.
They're almost as fast as Sheik's and far more damaging. Also 0.2 airspeed is not minor at all. It's like giving Falco G&W's airspeed, which would be about as bad as the buffs you're proposing. All of Luigi's aerials come out frame 10 or less, and most of them have little endlag. Plus there's Luigi's Shoryuken, which hit confirms into are a much bigger deal than for Doc/Mario. Also the reason all of Luigi's aerials don't combo into each other as well as Mario's do is because of his awful airspeed.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Who cares if they combo when they can break Luigi out of combos, damage a ton, and potentially kill you? The reason Mario and Sheik are the way they are now is because their airspeed got buffed. In Brawl their air speed sucked.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Who cares if they combo when they can break Luigi out of combos, damage a ton, and potentially kill you? The reason Mario and Sheik are the way they are now is because their airspeed got buffed. In Brawl their air speed sucked.
They do all that now. .2 air speed wouldn't change that.
They're almost as fast as Sheik's
No they aren't.
and far more damaging.
Which means they don't combo as well, which is the main reason why Sheik is so stupid.
Also 0.2 airspeed is not minor at all.
To the character boasting the second worst in the game it is.
It's like giving Falco G&W's airspeed, which would be about as bad as the buffs you're proposing.
Falco's barely scraping mid tier right now. If you're suggesting that an increase in air speed would break him, you're crazy.
All of Luigi's aerials come out frame 10 or less, and most of them have little endlag.
Neutral air has too much ending lag to combo into any thing unless you fall with it, back air has too much ending lag to do anything except kill, and up air is like back air, except it doesn't kill.
Plus there's Luigi's Shoryuken, which hit confirms into are a much bigger deal than for Doc/Mario.
Lies and garbage. After the down throw nerf, Fire Jump Punch lost the one confirm it had. Mario has so many ways to combo into SJP I could count them on my hands and feet, and Doc's Punch confirms, while few and far between, are a hell of a lot more effective than the ones Luigi has. Because he has none.
Also the reason all of Luigi's aerials don't combo into each other as well as Mario's do is because of his awful airspeed.
No it isn't. Do you even play this character?

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
:4ganondorf: is in the same boat as Kirby in that he has gotten tons of buffs, but none of them really solve his core problems. He's even worse off than Kirby because of his much worse frame data, recovery, and combo ability. I would like to see these buffs:

Walk speed: 0.73 --> 0.76 (a bit faster than Ryu)
Run speed: 1.218 --> 1.36 (tied with Dedede)
Air speed: 0.79 --> 0.83 (ahead of Olimar and, at the moment, Kirby)
B-throw: KBG 130 --> 145 (he lacks a solid kill throw, so this would help)
F-air: Landing lag 22 --> 19
D-air: Landing lag 26 --> 23
Warlock Punch: FAF 118/128 --> 108 --> 118 (why does it need both high startup and high endlag?)
Wizard's Foot: Grounded FAF 77 --> 72, Landing FAF 47 --> 42 (slightly improve his approach game)

Your magic box has a :4lucas:? That's cool, I'd like to see it!

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Dorf needs to be slow but right now he's a little too slow.
I would change:
Walk speed: 0.73 -> 0.76
Run speed: 1.218 -> 1.278 (slightly better than Villager)
Air speed: 0.79 -> 0.85
Dark Dive: last hit 9% -> 11% and endlag on hit 60 -> 48
All grabs have their range increased by one unit
Fair: Landing lag goes from 22 -> 20 and autocancels starting frame 41+
Nair: 1st hit does 12% strong hit, 9% weak hit, sends opponent away, doesn't link into 2nd hit,(same parameters as pre-1.1.1 Nair) 2nd hit does 10% strong, 7% weak
Utilt: Active hitbox 81-84 -> 79-85

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Ganondorf needs to be slow to balance out his high attack power, but his recovery does need some work. You can't always rely on Dark Fists and Wizard's Dropkick to bail you out after all.

Basically, Dark Dive needs some more horizontal mobility, and to not be so weak on offense.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
:4ganondorf: is in the same boat as Kirby in that he has gotten tons of buffs, but none of them really solve his core problems. He's even worse off than Kirby because of his much worse frame data, recovery, and combo ability. I would like to see these buffs:

Walk speed: 0.73 --> 0.76 (a bit faster than Ryu)
Run speed: 1.218 --> 1.36 (tied with Dedede)
Air speed: 0.79 --> 0.83 (ahead of Olimar and, at the moment, Kirby)
B-throw: KBG 130 --> 145 (he lacks a solid kill throw, so this would help)
F-air: Landing lag 22 --> 19
D-air: Landing lag 26 --> 23
Warlock Punch: FAF 118/128 --> 108 --> 118 (why does it need both high startup and high endlag?)
Wizard's Foot:
Grounded FAF 77 --> 72, Landing FAF 47 --> 42 (slightly improve his approach game)

Your magic box has a :4lucas:? That's cool, I'd like to see it!
Because it is really freaking strong.

Now, what about Ganon hasn't been said a million times already? Here I go again...
  • Make D-Tilt a universal followup of a missed tech of Flame Choke.
  • Dark Dive as strong as Melee/64 Falcon to make up for the fact that it is a terrible command grab and recovery.
  • Wizard Foot giving him back his DJ like in Melee.
  • Giving back Ganon his mobility from Melee. It would still suck but it would be better than what he has now.
  • Bigger grabs. Ganon's grab is garbage, and with horrid mobility he can't give it real use.
  • A kill throw. So, a bunch of stupid kids have kill throws (:4tlink::4ness::4villager::4lucas:) but not the King of Evil that has the triforce of POWER? He should have one.

Green L

Smash Apprentice
So what I think it should be done? well, right now Luigi players mostly complain about recovery. I don't think there should be any distance increases, but some tweaking. The first is Green Missile. It is super slow and has lame hitboxes. Just an improvement on those hitboxes is necessary. Next is to make it easier to mash Luigi Cyclone to recover, as not everyone is a robot masher like Mr. ConCon and struggles to recover. And the last thing, is the return of D-Tilt.
Those buffs aren't necessary and won't change anything. I got a better idea since you think Green Missle and D-tilt are important moves. Nerf those two moves while luigi's grab game goes back to Pre 1.1.1. Lower the damage and add more endlag of the green missle and and down tilt. Down tilt shouldn't be a free trip

Ganon is really balanced in my opinion. He does high damage and high knockback moves. Maybe buff the shield damage on his attacks a little

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Those buffs aren't necessary and won't change anything. I got a better idea since you think Green Missle and D-tilt are important moves. Nerf those two moves while luigi's grab game goes back to Pre 1.1.1. Lower the damage and add more endlag of the green missle and and down tilt. Down tilt shouldn't be a free trip
I think you missed the point entirely. Green Missile and Dtilt ARE bad. Making them worse and bringing back DThrow won't make Luigi better. And what is so bad about forced trips?

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Ganon is really balanced in my opinion. He does high damage and high knockback moves. Maybe buff the shield damage on his attacks a little
Not sure I would go that far. He isn't unusable but all of his top 5 MUs are 35-65 or worse, unless you count ZSS as top 5, and she's only slightly better. He definitely warrants at least some sort of grab game improvement if nothing else. Shield also isn't really his problem, as spaced Bair is safe on shield, and spaced Fair usually is if your opponent doesn't have a tether grab. Also crossup DA is pretty safe. Mobility when used defensively is a bigger issue than pressuring opponents who just sit in shield. Most of his worst MUs are ones where he gets rushed down due to his poor CQC and OOS options, so a grab range buff would aid him significantly.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Lies and garbage.

No it isn't. Do you even play this character?
Hey, I get that your trying to get your point across so I'll give you a little slack, but the tone of these is kind of harsh, it's pretty close to what I'd consider being insulting if it isn't already. I'll let it slide this time but I won't again, so don't do that again, okay?

Anyways, about Ganon, I think that he's pretty deserving of buffs as one of the worst characters in the game, but, at the same time, I'm kind of jealous of his buffs already, even if they aren't useful. That really shouldn't be a factor though, it'd be best for everyone if he got good buffs.
Here's his results https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1jJhqiPVA2qTk30MSBLVUzO_P49RclHsBgV8NBRtSrqo/viewanalytics

Here's Lucas's poll http://goo.gl/forms/2vNPdeUB8r

You can vote for these lovely Pigmasks.
:4bowserjr::4falcon::4charizard::4corrin::4darkpit::4dk::4fox::4myfriends::4link::4lucina::4mario::4megaman::4ness::4olimar::4palutena::4peach::4pikachu::4pit::rosalina::4sheik::4sonic::4villagerf::4wario::4wiifit::4yoshi::4zelda::4zss::4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword:

Last edited:

Rhinomaster22

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rhinomaster22
:4corrin::4corrinf: Cornbread would be good to discuss. They've been overshadowed by Cloud and Bayonetta lately and we should show them some needed love.

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
Before recent Japanese tournaments, :4lucas: was considered by many to be pretty flawed and low for, even after his buffs. However, now people are noticing his true potential, and I could see him near the top of mid tier. His combo game is damaging and deadly, he's now much more safe due to his decreased lag on grab, his neutral game is good enough, and his recovery is quite far and harder to gimp than Ness's, if not a bit slower and less powerful. I can see him going far in the meta game, and I think he's a good enough character as of now.

:rosalina: is not a pig mask, but I'll vote for her anyway.

Eugene Wang

Smash Apprentice
Corrin is fine. He She He She They have a coherent game plan, and are strong, but don't overpower others. Anyone that was invalidated by them was probably invalidated already by other zoners.

I vote :4miibrawl:

Top Bottom