• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ultimate Smash Bros. 4 Character Analysis Topic. (Retro Characters Analysis Is Up!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Your efforts are appreciated.

Are you going to do another franchise analysis anytime soon?
I want to get another one posted before the end of January. I would really like to have one posted next week as a matter of fact even.

Again, I am deeply sorry for the hiatus. I have even paid consequences for it.

Kon

Smash Journeyman
I'm happy you will continue your analysis in the near future^^

In this context I wanted to ask for one more character related to Kid Icarus:
Kid Icarus:
Palutena
I would say Medusa still says a good chance too. Pit, Palutena and Medusa are the most significant characters from Kid Icarus and even if there are arguments Palutena could have better chances, there are after all still two contenders for one second slot if there were a second one. I mean Medusa was important in the very first game of the series and is again important in Kid Icarus:Uprising.
I don't know if I were the only one who thinks that Medusa and Palutena have both arguments against their inclusion as well as good arguments for their inclusion. Therefore I would appreciate to consider both contenders. :)

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
Well, you are doing this for the fun, and it is pretty instructive, but I think most people here understand that you have a life outside of these fora.

I really like this thread and I'm going to look at the edits right now. ^^

bloodbuzzed

Smash Apprentice
Just wanted to point out a very small error in the Star Fox analysis:
Other Star Fox characters:
These are Kirby characters that are unlikely for a playable spot for Smash Bros. 4, but have some support for playable status among the Smash Bros. fanbase.
Should say Star Fox, not Kirby characters.

Great analysis!

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Hey Chrono, what are your thoughts regarding Wonder Red being a possible candidate in the New IP's section? I ask because he isn't at least in the non-contenders list-thingy despite being somewhat likely due to Sakurai's own actions during the time period in which he was deciding the roster (that is, visiting Platinum Games to look in on what their then-unknown Nintendo project was going to be). I explained more in-depth in his support thread a little while back why I think he's likely but it would be too long for this post, haha.

And as always, your analysis's are awesome, and I'm looking forward to what you have coming next, but take your time if you need it, haha.

CC13

Smash Rookie
I just want to say that your analyses are fantastic and I look forward to your next one, whichever one it turns out to be. Here are a few observations I have regarding your current work:

1) Why is Little Mac considered a new series character? His first appearance was in Mike Tyson's Punch-Out, which was released in 1987, barely a year after Takamaru, a character you listed as retro, made his debut.
2) Why only list Palutena as a viable Kid Icarus addition? I've heard plenty of fan outcry in support of both Magnus and Medusa, so it would, in my opinion, be hasty to count them out.
3) This is, admittedly, something of an oddball choice, but do you think you could add Monita to your new series analysis? Nintendo Land seems to be rather better-regarded by Smash Bros. players than the Wii series, so she might make a good 'shock' announcement, especially since she would represent the Wii U.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I just want to say that your analyses are fantastic and I look forward to your next one, whichever one it turns out to be. Here are a few observations I have regarding your current work:

1) Why is Little Mac considered a new series character? His first appearance was in Mike Tyson's Punch-Out, which was released in 1987, barely a year after Takamaru, a character you listed as retro, made his debut.
2) Why only list Palutena as a viable Kid Icarus addition? I've heard plenty of fan outcry in support of both Magnus and Medusa, so it would, in my opinion, be hasty to count them out.
3) This is, admittedly, something of an oddball choice, but do you think you could add Monita to your new series analysis? Nintendo Land seems to be rather better-regarded by Smash Bros. players than the Wii series, so she might make a good 'shock' announcement, especially since she would represent the Wii U.
I can answer number 1.
Namely that Punch out got a sequel on the SNES, had two arcade games beforehand and had a full 3D Wii release. Poor Taka had one game and one game alone.

CC13

Smash Rookie
I can answer number 1.
Namely that Punch out got a sequel on the SNES, had two arcade games beforehand and had a full 3D Wii release. Poor Taka had one game and one game alone.
I suppose that's fair. Personally, I still think that Little Mac should properly be considered a retro character, but it is ChronoBound's thread, after all.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Ashley got confirmed as an Assist Trophy. I was always expecting her as the premier candidate for a newcomer Assist Trophy for the Wario series due to her high popularity (especially so in Japan). Feels good to have one of my predictions come true once in a while. :laugh:

For Ashley fans though, be glad, this was pretty much the best she could have hoped for in Smash 4. At least Sakurai is acknowledging her popularity.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I suppose that's fair. Personally, I still think that Little Mac should properly be considered a retro character, but it is ChronoBound's thread, after all.
By that logic... Mario is a retro character... since he debuted in 1981... and Link is a retro character since he debuted in 1986... and Kirby is a retro character because he debuted in 1992... holy crap! SSB4 is full of nothing but retro characters with only three modern characters, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, and Rosalina.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Ashley: [...] However, there is a good chance that due to her popularity that she may be promoted into becoming an Assist Trophy in Smash 4. She also has the possibility of being a trophy and/or sticker, as well as her theme song returning.
Congrats on predicting Sakurai correctly, Chrono. :p

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well Lucario has returned. It looks well for the other "droppable" characters like Ike but not so much for Zororark.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Poor Zoroark. I was actually a pretty big fan of that idea, too. Oh well.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Poor Zoroark. I was actually a pretty big fan of that idea, too. Oh well.
Lucario's confirmation doesn't de-confirm Zoroark, or make him a non-contender. Personally, I am not expecting Zoroark though.

However, yeah, for the longest time I said Lucario was a lot safer than what a lot of people thought. The Pokemon Company was still using that guy in promotions. At the very least, he had a safer position than Snake or Ike did/do.

Also, again I apologize for the lack of any updates. Early next week though, I plan to post a new series analysis, as well as an analysis on Lucario's confirmation (and the a small bit on Viridi's de-confirmation).

Everyone should rejoice with Lucario's confirmation, because he among the few characters that was legitimately facing the cutting block this time around. I say his return might also raise the prospects of all of Brawl veterans coming back (except maybe Snake) as well as some of the cut Melee veterans.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Which cut Melee Vets were you thinking of? Frankly only ones I see a ghost of a chance of are Roy and Mewtwo.
I would say Dr. Mario maaaaybe has a chance if he plans to give Mario an easy sixth slot, and if he plans to give Pokemon six slots as well. That, and Sakurai had the intention of bringing back Dr. Mario in Brawl.

However, the chances for Mewtwo and Roy are far better.

In the end, we will just wait and see.

Still, the confirmation of Lucario is very good news.

Did his confirmation correspond with a specific date, or was it random like Marth?

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I would say Dr. Mario maaaaybe has a chance if he plans to give Mario an easy sixth slot, and if he plans to give Pokemon six slots as well. That, and Sakurai had the intention of bringing back Dr. Mario in Brawl.

Did his confirmation correspond with a specific date, or was it random like Marth?
Random like Marth, I didn't expect it...

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
Scuttlebutt around the Pattern thread says that Lucario's reveal had to do with the Brawl Anniversary today since there was a comment about Lucario nearly missing the boat.

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales

Interesting thoughts there, by the way. All I know is that Lucario in combination with Toon Link has shaken up things.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

Brawl's 6th Anniversary.

Kon

Smash Journeyman
Brawl's 6th Anniversary.
And still it's somehow random-like: 15th anniversary of Smash Bros - Rosalina move explanation. Come on? And on the 6th anniversary of Brawl seeming less important, Sakurai reveals Lucario.

So after all, even if it was related to an anniversary, it was random in the point that a big anniversary gets only mentionned above the pic of the day while a less big anniversary gets celebrated with Lucario's reveal. Isn't that strange after all?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So, with all the new updates we've seen over the past few weeks, and a very likely reveal of Diddy Kong coming up in just a few days, can we expect an analysis update for some of the series sometime in the near future? It'd also be nice to hear what you have to say in regards to certain series like Pokemon and Fire Emblem while you're at it.

stan423321

Smash Journeyman
I think that we are reaching a point at which analysis updates would have to be borderline instant to keep people's attention, and as demonstrated in post above, guessing the order of reveals is getting harder and harder. Oh well, too bad.

I wonder how much of a retro character and how much of "new series" character LM is in Sakurai's eyes. We got the arcade machine on website, after all. This is "important" because of the obvious "who got hurt" question.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Sorry for the very long hiatus guys. I truly mean it. I really appreciate everyone that has been patient for a new analysis.

I finally got around to completing and posting another new series analysis: F-Zero. It came around 2,000 words, so I certainly put a lot of time into it. I am sorry that everyone has had to wait so long. I know it has been 3.5 months since my last analysis was posted.

I also finally got around to making new analyses for the newcomer (Little Mac) and veterans (Lucario and Diddy Kong) that have been confirmed since then.

I am going to try and have one more analysis posted before the end of this month. The key word here is try.

On an unrelated note, I finally got around to importing F-Zero Climax (the last F-Zero game ever made). Its definitely the pinnacle of 2D F-Zero, and its nice that it has a track editor. Its a shame this series may never be revisited again, especially considering its among my favorite of the lesser Nintendo franchises.

Once again, I am sorry for the very long wait, and I am truly grateful for those who have been waiting patiently and those who have even private messaged me. I am definitely open to private messages and questions that you guys have, and I am definitely appreciative of any praise my work gets.

My interest in Smash 4 certainly has been rekindled by the confirmation of Little Mac. Ridley, Mega Man, and Little Mac were the only three possible newcomers I was looking forward to during pre-Brawl that did not make it in.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
IT LIVES! IT LIVES!

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Regardless of F-Zero's status as a series, I don't really think it needs anyone else besides Falcon on the account of A. it being a racing series and B. whose playable representative had to have his entire moveset made up.

It's a series that, under any circumstances, I just feel is fine with its one character. Similar to how I feel with Pikmin, AC, Yoshi, and Wario.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Glad to see you're back - I've really enjoyed reading your analysis of these characters!

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Personally speaking, I find it hard to believe that Goroh would ever be a Takamaru semi-clone. The way I see it, Goroh will either make it in as a unique character or he won't make it in, period.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I just love your analyses! Still, I have to agree with Smashoperatingbuddy. You should really do an analysis on Nintendo's retro series (and some of their series from the early/mid-90s to late Wii era if you could.)

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Good that you came back.
IT LIVES! IT LIVES!
I just love your analyses!
It warms my heart to see that there was quite a few of you out there that really missed my analyses. Again, I am really sorry for having been busy as I have been. Its really time consuming to sit down and write out these things.

As I mentioned in my previous post, my goal was to get out another analysis after my F-Zero one before the end of March, and looks like I was able to reach that goal.

I finally completed my Kid Icarus series analysis. Its around 1,700 words, its not too long, but I think its covers all the bases for that series. As always, I hope those who read it enjoy it as much as the other analyses I have posted.

With the completion of Kid Icarus, now every main series analysis is completed with the exceptions of Pokemon and Fire Emblem. Retro, New, and Third-Party analyses also need to be completed.

I am going to try and get another analysis finished and posted during the first week of April. As I said before, the key word is "try".

Again, I feel bad for making everyone wait, and as a result the topic lost its pinned status and a lot of its followers/readers.

I really do appreciate those who remained to still read what I have to say. At this point, there is not a whole lot left to post in terms of analyses (only five left remain unfinished).

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Happy to see that you came back, Chrono. I always enjoyed reading your analyses. I hope that you post more soon. :)

Dinoman96

Smash Master
The only possible obstacles that might exclude her are Sakurai being too humble about Kid Icarus (as he was with Kirby, which kept a second Kirby character from happening in Melee) or that Sakurai decides that he does not want to change up Pit’s Final Smash.
Honestly, it seems to me the biggest obstacle against her, and the main reason she has a lot of detractors, is that KI only only has three games (and unlike Mother, which has a different protagonist each game, Pit stars in all of them).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom