• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ultimate Smash 4 Ruleset Poll

l3lackEclipse

Smash Rookie

Smash 4 Wii U has had some tumultuous times in terms of rulesets. As a new game there has been much debate over what should and shouldn't be done with the ruleset, and many people feel as though their opinions are not being represented. There have been many previous polls on Smash 4 rulesets, but with the issue being particularly discussed now it is time for something better than ever before.

This poll covers everything from stage legality, omega stages, rules regarding Miis, stocks, timers, and more. If everyone works together to share this across as many channels as possible and respond to it, this poll could do a very big thing for the community. The votes will become publicly available one week after the poll has been released for analysis.

SmashCapps designed this poll and hopes it will satisfy the Smash 4 player base. To discuss this poll and anything else Smash follow him on Twitter using #Smash4RulesPoll.
Hell yes, I want the wolf.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
I see your point, but they're not really that big of a deal. Wall jumping is a staple in Smash and is always used by players before. Not being able to wall jump on certain stages shouldn't be a problem. Blast Zones I'll agree are different with each stage, but it shouldn't be a problem. If you could, explain the inconsistent lip thing. I'm not sure I follow that.
These differences are minor, but big enough to possibly impact a match. In other words, one player wants an Omega that will help them in this way and hinders their opponent in another, and the other player wants an Omega that helps them in a different way and hinders their opponent in another. Unless you propose a second round of stage striking in the event that FD is selected for game 1, Omegas are gonna have to be limited to counterpick status.

TIL

Smash Rookie
NNID
SDMdom
The biggest issue is the fact that 2 stock limits the amount of options players have. If a player accidentally suicides or has the first round go terrible then they have no wiggle room. 3 stock doesn't extend the match that much longer and if anything can make things more exciting with a larger window for come backs. The stage selection is also lacking and could easily be made larger. Thats my 2 cents anyway.
I don't much mind the 2-stock rule for vanilla tournaments. However, I'd love 3 stocks and 8 minutes for custom tournaments. The matches would be more interesting, warranting that extra time, and it would be more forgiving as players analyze their opponent's varying kits.

Last edited:

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
I don't much mind the 2-stock rule for vanilla tournaments. However, I'd love 3 stocks and 8 minutes for custom tournaments. The matches would be more interesting, warranting that extra time, and it would be more forgiving as players analyze their opponent's varying kits.
I agree. Two stock barely gives players enough time to analyse. To me 4 is like chess while Melee is like football or something.

H.O.U.S.E.

Smash Rookie
NNID
acrenator
Man, discussions like these make me really wish that there were any tournaments near where I live. I can't go to any because school and lack of money to do so and can't find anything barely close to competitive Smash around. I want to help competitive Smash grow but only 3 people I know actually play Smash, so it isn't easy.

ThePuffDaddy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
flashman69
Man, discussions like these make me really wish that there were any tournaments near where I live. I can't go to any because school and lack of money to do so and can't find anything barely close to competitive Smash around. I want to help competitive Smash grow but only 3 people I know actually play Smash, so it isn't easy.
Where do you live dude?

ThePuffDaddy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
flashman69
I agree. Two stock barely gives players enough time to analyse. To me 4 is like chess while Melee is like football or something.
Why are two stocks going to be at evo anyway? Almost everybody I have ever talked to is more in favor of 3 over 2. Have any top players said if they preferred two or three?

Jon_14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jon_14
3DS FC
1993-8945-7042
I really hope 2 stocks stay the norm, but I guess I'll just adapt if we'll go to 3. But man I find 3 stocks just draining to play sometimes.

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
"The ruuls shud b 15 min coin match 8 playr smash with speshal smash super spicy curry and bunny hood and teh itemz on. alzo we shud ban bowser cuz hees too OP. teh only stayge taht shud b legal is the custom stage of etika's head and equipment shud be alllowd cause then i can using the little mac with brawn badges.; (and why iznt master cheef in smash you shud add him and delete jigglypuff."

~Someone, somewhere, who can vote in this poll.

That's the problem with community polls but to be fair, polls on things like rulesets are usually infinitely better than community poll-based tier lists, since it really isn't a popularity contest when it comes to rulesets. And less casuals will vote on something like a ruleset because most casual players just play For Glory anyways, where you can't even change the rules.

b2jammer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
b2jammer
"The ruuls shud b 15 min coin match 8 playr smash with speshal smash super spicy curry and bunny hood and teh itemz on. alzo we shud ban bowser cuz hees too OP. teh only stayge taht shud b legal is the custom stage of etika's head and equipment shud be alllowd cause then i can using the little mac with brawn badges.; (and why iznt master cheef in smash you shud add him and delete jigglypuff."

~Someone, somewhere, who can vote in this poll.

That's the problem with community polls but to be fair, polls on things like rulesets are usually infinitely better than community poll-based tier lists, since it really isn't a popularity contest when it comes to rulesets. And less casuals will vote on something like a ruleset because most casual players just play For Glory anyways, where you can't even change the rules.
Love your mock post. So true XD.

On top of the lack of a popularity contest, this poll, unlike others I've seen, at least has questions involving tournament attendance and status, so data mining and filtering is easier; it can still lead to problems though, as some of the responses may not be completely honest (e.g. somebody who never goes to tournaments posting that they go at least twice a month).

Even as a semi-casual player, I like to play using tournament-style rules (timed stock, no items, etc), and I want to get into competitive Sm4sh at some point, so I want to know what the general consensus about the rules is, even if it isn't completely accurate.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
Isn't there a item that you can equip that prevents landing lag? Why isn't that allowed to be equipped in tournaments?

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Isn't there a item that you can equip that prevents landing lag? Why isn't that allowed to be equipped in tournaments?
The fact that anyone on Smashboards asked why equipment isn't legal makes me question the results of this poll.

Last edited:

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
The fact that anyone on Smashboards asked why equipment isn't legal makes me question the results of this poll.
It's not like I'm asking about the entire line-up for equipment here, I just remember that landing lag was a complaint that people had about this game.

Flawed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlawedOne
I too, want PilotWings as a stage. It doesn't matter if its campy, I mean, we have players who are going to camp no matter what. Theres no real forcing players to conform.

Its a legitimate counter pick.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
I like that idea. This is a community after all. Community input regularly could help. If the set up is solid then a majority of people will continually agree with it.
Let us not forget that in this community, input often means childish whining. Let's see how much that helps, because the "discussion" I see floating around is 90% toxic waste.

DeathlyFerret

Smash Apprentice
So are the results being taken and made official?
ABSOLUTELY NOT.
This could very well influence the meta of Smash 4, but a lot of these votes are from uninformed players, some of which can easily be identified in some of these votes. I mean, seriously? Pokemon Stadium 2? The day Pokemon Stadium 2 becomes legal is the day I drop Sm4sh and PM, eat all of my controllers, and move to Nigeria.

Last edited:
Top Bottom