• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ultimate Smash 4 Ruleset Poll

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~

Smash 4 Wii U has had some tumultuous times in terms of rulesets. As a new game there has been much debate over what should and shouldn't be done with the ruleset, and many people feel as though their opinions are not being represented. There have been many previous polls on Smash 4 rulesets, but with the issue being particularly discussed now it is time for something better than ever before.

This poll covers everything from stage legality, omega stages, rules regarding Miis, stocks, timers, and more. If everyone works together to share this across as many channels as possible and respond to it, this poll could do a very big thing for the community. The votes will become publicly available one week after the poll has been released for analysis.

SmashCapps designed this poll and hopes it will satisfy the Smash 4 player base. To discuss this poll and anything else Smash follow him on Twitter using #Smash4RulesPoll.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
3 stock or 2 sol are the best.
3 stock 8 minutes.
2 stock 5 minutes.
3 stock in team battle(on) with 6 minutes.

That pretty much my rules.

Is want Item and casualness.
ALL ITMES ON.
Except Gust Bellows <--- Bane of my existence and ITS WORSE THAN FREAKING BOMB!

Last edited:

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
This was very much needed.

Can't wait to hear the results next week.

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
The biggest issue is the fact that 2 stock limits the amount of options players have. If a player accidentally suicides or has the first round go terrible then they have no wiggle room. 3 stock doesn't extend the match that much longer and if anything can make things more exciting with a larger window for come backs. The stage selection is also lacking and could easily be made larger. Thats my 2 cents anyway.

GreenChaChing

Smash Apprentice
As the smash 4 community adapts and changes, i think we should have one of these polls every 6 months/year to understand what needs to be changed. Maybe im just weird, but i think its a good idea

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
As the smash 4 community adapts and changes, i think we should have one of these polls every 6 months/year to understand what needs to be changed. Maybe im just weird, but i think its a good idea
I like that idea. This is a community after all. Community input regularly could help. If the set up is solid then a majority of people will continually agree with it.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
"Ultimate" indicates that this would be the last we'd see of such things. Somehow I don't think that's the case.

Rules are drafted based on sound reason, not majority vote. Though this is called a 'poll' it's more like taking a peek at general trends of thought found in members of Smashboards.

Politics have been tied to rules-mongering in the past with disastrous results.

Godzillionaire

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Crit-Hit
3DS FC
3797-7329-5972
The stage selection is also lacking and could easily be made larger. Thats my 2 cents anyway.
I think it's more the fact that people just always pick smashville most of the time. Even if the selection does increase I have a feeling most battles will still take place there since it's the most fair for both fighters without being bland. What's the overall consensus of Town and City though?

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
I think it's more the fact that people just always pick smashville most of the time. Even if the selection does increase I have a feeling most battles will still take place there since it's the most fair for both fighters without being bland. What's the overall consensus of Town and City though?
Its generally seen as legal. I've died once from the platform shifts but that was from me being stupid (throwing out a chain when i shouldn't have) but I see no reason as to why it wouldn't be legal.

PandaEffect

Smash Cadet
This is still being filled out by a lot of VIEWERS that don't actually play the game at tourneys / weeklies and so on, It also is extremely easy to vote multiple times.

I think this poll should be taken all over the world upon registration to smash 4 events by PARTICIPANTS to see what the people playing actually want and not what the viewers want to see necessarily.

Edit: Basically, the results of this poll are useless.

Last edited:

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
I am not looking forward to this poll. Still have PTSD from the Brawl MK Ban polls.
All it really does it paint a visual picture of the division of the Smash 4 community.
tl;dr Been here. See where this is going. Good luck, cadets.

KyroChao

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyro_Keatonlabs
I think Skyloft and Wuhu should become legal like delfino, theres no real reason to have Wuhu banned anymore and Skyloft isn't terribly bad.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
3 lives + 10 minutes + no items

That's the ruleset that I've often used, despite not really doing any online matches. Even in 8-Player Smash, you could potentially get a winner before the timer expires.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
This is still being filled out by a lot of VIEWERS that don't actually play the game at tourneys / weeklies and so on, It also is extremely easy to vote multiple times.

I think this poll should be taken all over the world upon registration to smash 4 events by PARTICIPANTS to see what the people playing actually want and not what the viewers want to see necessarily.

Edit: Basically, the results of this poll are useless.
Nah, the nice part of this is the results are going to be 100% open to the public. You can filter out people who never attend tournaments IF you want to, only look for top players etc. I designed this so it could be data mined in a LOT of different ways, the results will at a bare minimum get the pulse of the smash scene on the matter.

DeeDaa

Smash Rookie
I think 3 stock + 8 minutes is a great idea due to the fact that a player can run away with a match simply because of the new rage mechanic. With 2 stocks it essentially gives the player that is ahead an even larger lead. I think 3 stocks could solve this but this issue is that the game is relatively slow as is and adding an additional stock might make it difficult to fit into a tournament schedule. Thoughts?

PandaEffect

Smash Cadet
Nah, the nice part of this is the results are going to be 100% open to the public. You can filter out people who never attend tournaments IF you want to, only look for top players etc. I designed this so it could be data mined in a LOT of different ways, the results will at a bare minimum get the pulse of the smash scene on the matter.
I get what you are going for but the average person that wants his or her rule set to be the right one will see through the tournament filter and just plain lie about it so their opinion is relevant.

Also, not sure how I feel about going by the opinion of top players, but I'm sure ill be hard to filter through the 100s of mew2kings that will submit the form.

Overall I'd be more excited to see the results if this was done upon registration with real human beings since this can still fail in the many ways that any online poll can fail.

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
I still want Skyloft and Wuhu to be legal. I'm gonna pick that. It's better than Delfino and Halberd and it's a lot less janky than those two. Also, I think Pilot Wings has good potential, but it needs testing.

KyroChao

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyro_Keatonlabs
I still want Skyloft and Wuhu to be legal. I'm gonna pick that. It's better than Delfino and Halberd and it's a lot less janky than those two. Also, I think Pilot Wings has good potential, but it needs testing.
I don't want to see pilot wings because it allows for too much camping on the planes like under them. some characters just can't get under that yellow one so its pretty unfair

I cans ee Windy Hill maybe becoming legal though, that stage isn't too bad, the springs can be annoying but i don't see it hindering many characters, and could help little mac

Cassio

Smash Master
Bad Samples Some samples are bad in the sense that the method used to collect the data dooms the sample, so that it is likely to be somehow biased. That is, it is not representative of the population from which it has been obtained. The following definition refers to one of the most common and most serious misuses of statistics.

Defintion
A voluntary response sample (or self-selected sample) is one in which the respondents themselves decide whether to be included.

Caution
Do not ever use voluntary response sample data for making conclusions about a population

[collapse=Example1]
Voluntary Response Sample Newsweek magazine ran a survey about the Napster Web site, which had been providing free accesss to downloading copies of music CDs. Readers were asked this question: "Will you still use Napster if you have to pay a fee?" Readers could register their responses on the Web site newsweek.msnbc.com. Among the 1873 responses recieved, 19% said yes, it is still cheaper than buying CDs. Another 5% said yes, they felt more comfortable using it with a charge. When newsweek or anyone else runs a poll on the Internet, individuals decide themselves whether to participate, so they constitute a voluntary response sample. But the people with strong opinions are more likely to participate, so it is very possible that the responses are not representative of the whole population.[/collapse]
[collapse=Example2] Why was the Literary Digest poll so wrong?
Founded in 1890, the Literary Digest magazine was famous for its success in conducting polls to predict winners in presidential elections. The magazine correctly predicted the winners in the presidential elections of 1916, 1920, 1924, 1928, and 1932. In the 1936 presidential contest between Alf Landon and Franklin D. Roosevelt, the magazine sent out 10 million ballots and received 1,293,669 ballots for Landon and 972,897 ballots for Roosevelt, so it appeared that landon would capture 57% of the vote. The size of this poll is extremely large when compared to the sizes of other typical polls, so it appeared that the poll would correctly predict the winner once again. James A. Farle, Chairman of the Democratic National Committee at the time, praised the poll by saying this: "Any sane person cannot escape the implication of such a gigantic sampling of popular opinion as is embraced in The Literary Digest straw vote. I consider this conclusive evidence as to the desire of the people of this country for a change in the National Government. The Literary Digest poll is an achievement of no little magnitude. It is a poll fairly and correctly conducted." Well, Landon received 16,679,583 votes to the 27,751,597 votes cast for Roosevelt. Instead of getting 57% of the vote as suggest by Literary Digest poll, Landon received only 37% of the vote. The results for Roosevelt are shown in Figure 1-1. The Literary Digest magazine suffered a humiliating defeat and soon went out of business.

In that same 1936 presidential election, George Gallup used a much smaller poll of 50,000 subjects and he correctly predicted that Roosevelt would win. How could it happen that a larger Literary Digest poll could be so wrong by such a large margin? What went wrong? As you learn the basics of statistics in this chapter, we will return to the Literary Digest poll and explain why it was so wrong in predicting the winner of the 1936 presidential contest.

What went wrong in the Literary Digest poll? Literary Digest Magazine conducted its poll by sending out 10 million ballots. The magazine received 2.3 million responses. The poll results suggested incorrectly that Alf Landon would win the presidency. In his much smaller poll of 50,000 people, George Gallup correctly predicted that Franklin D. Roosevelt would win. The lesson here is that it is not necessarily the size of the sample that makes it effective, but it is the sampling method. The Literary Digest ballots were sent to magazine subscribers as well as to registered car owners and those who used telephones. On the heels of the Great Depression, this group included disproportionately more wealthy people, who were Republicans. But the real flaw in the Literary Digest poll is that it resulted in a voluntary response sample. Gallup used an approach in which he obtained a representative sample based on demographic factors. (Gallup modified his his methods when he made a wrong prediction in the famous 1948 Dewey/Truman election. Gallup stopped polling too soon, and he failed to detect a late surge in support for Truman.) The Literary Digest poll is a classic illustration of the flaws inherent in basing conclusions on a voluntary response sample.[/collapse]
These are common examples of volutary response samples which, by their very nature, are seriously flawed because we should not make conclusions about a population based on such a biased sample:
  • Polls conducted through the Internet in which subjects can decide whether to respond
  • Mail-in-polls, in which subjects can decide whether to reply
  • Telephone call-in polls, in which the newspaper, radio, or television announcements ask that you voluntarily call a special number to register your opinion
With such voluntary response sample, we can only make valid conclusions about the specific group of people who chose to participate, but a common practice is to incorrectly state or imply conclusions about a larger population. From a statistical viewpoint, such a sample is fundamentally flawed and should not be used for making general statements about a larger population.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I am not looking forward to this poll. Still have PTSD from the Brawl MK Ban polls.
All it really does it paint a visual picture of the division of the Smash 4 community.
tl;dr Been here. See where this is going. Good luck, cadets.
That had an overwhelming majority in favor of something, banning MK.

Here it at least gives an idea of what players would want.

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
I don't want to see pilot wings because it allows for too much camping on the planes like under them. some characters just can't get under that yellow one so its pretty unfair

I cans ee Windy Hill maybe becoming legal though, that stage isn't too bad, the springs can be annoying but i don't see it hindering many characters, and could help little mac
That's pretty much the main reason I think it needs testing. The camping potential is huge and the red bi-plane has that jarring center that could divide the players, forcing them to either not move, or (less likely) make the first move. I don't mind if it's banned, it seems to have small but critical problems.

As for Windy Hill, I see it as a doubles stage instead of a singles one. It's pretty big for singles, so doubles has it much better. Also, I don't know how the Mario Galaxy-esque gravity will affect its legality. It seems pretty minor as of now, but we'll have to wait and see if it becomes a problem. I hope not.

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
I want more legal stages that don't include Halberd. I feel like the only reason it's legal in smash 4 is because it was in Brawl.

I'd like to experiment more with travelling stages like Skykoft and MAYBE Mario Kart 8. Although they both need more testing, and MK8 might have a few too many walls and hazards. I would also love to get Gamer legal. I mean, let's be real here. If you are at all against any of these stages being legal, I'll tell you this.

If Halberd can be legal, Gamer can be legal.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
I've actually read this post before oddly enough and really liked it. Yes the idea of this poll DOES have problems. But it's better than nothing happening right? Hopefully it can at least get the ball rolling and some people can get a general pulse on how people feel about the ruleset.

9Tales

Smash Apprentice
NNID
9Tales_of_Hoenn
Standardizing Miis to one size is an all around good thing for 3 reasons

1) It streamlines them as characters
2) Cuts down on the number of sets you need to make
and the biggest
3) If they want to be treated as characters they need to act like characters, none of whom get to alter their weight, hurtboxes, or hitboxes.

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
Halberd has very predictable hazards that take awhile to actually activate, Gamers hazard can come out of no where and kill at very low percents. I don't understand this logic.
Really? Mom isn't obvious? How often do you ACTUALLY get hit by Mom?

I think the Claw on Halberd is really everyone's problem. That is much harder to avoid than the laser or the bomb. AND it kills at around the same percents as Mom.

Plus the bottom platform on Halberd, at least for me, is annoying. I dislike it on Delfino as well, which has the same transparent property, and I'm only a semi-fan of that stage.

Last edited:

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I tried filling out the questionnaire but it didn't allow for my choices. I ended up just closing it off rather than providing inaccurate feedback.

Tsukuokami

Smash Rookie
NNID
Tsukuokami
3 stocks and 8 minutes give players a chance get themselves together when they mess up. Not as much but a little. I personally never really fought a long match because I use Shulk and either my damage gets high quickly because I'm in buster or my opponent's damage is high because I'm in buster either way one of us dies quickly. 2 stocks games on average have been around 3 minutes. But that's just me.

Top Bottom