• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ULTIMATE Probable Playable Characters In Brawl Analysis Topic!(1 week til Brawl!)

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
people who say Tingle is deconfirmed by the trophy are unintelligent. Remember Melee? when all playable characters had 3 trophies? I do. the only thing that should make you think tingle wont be in brawl as a pc is common sense. on another note good job to the TC.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Very nice analysis. I agree with most of your conclusions, if not always with your opinions*. The one piece of analysis I think you got wrong is Midna - shes definitely not behind Link in importance in Twilight Princess. The whole game revolves around her: her lost kingdom and powers, Zant and Ganondorf's abuse of her realm, her desire to restore her world and the real one to normal and reclaim what was taken from her, her knowledge of how to go about doing so. Link was little more than her puppet throughout the game (though of course she didn't see it that way after a while).

* If you're interested, the big one there is Krystal. Personally, I love that shes likely to appear in Brawl. I've been a Star Fox fan since 64, and don't understand the hate for her and Adventures. I consider that the second best game in the series (behind only 64), and if it were longer and you actually got to fight General Scales I would likely consider it the best.

Zevox
Hey. I believe that you have just helped my argument with Geno and Mario. Geno is the Midna of the Legend of the Seven Stars. Everything is happening to him, but Mario is the hero. I have not been able to play Twilight Princess, but I believe that this is what you are getting at.

Also, I love the Star Fox series. I would love to see new characters. I have not been able to play the new games yet, however. Could you let me know on how good they are? I may have to go out and buy them.

Zevox

Smash Lord
Hey. I believe that you have just helped my argument with Geno and Mario. Geno is the Midna of the Legend of the Seven Stars. Everything is happening to him, but Mario is the hero. I have not been able to play Twilight Princess, but I believe that this is what you are getting at.

Also, I love the Star Fox series. I would love to see new characters. I have not been able to play the new games yet, however. Could you let me know on how good they are? I may have to go out and buy them.
Geno: I haven't played his game, but that sounds like an apt analogy, if what his fans have to say about him is correct. I can't say for sure though, since as I said I don't have first-hand experience with the game.

As for Star Fox, I've never had the opportunity to play the original, but the other four I'd rank with 64 at the top, Adventures a close second (though if you don't like that its a Zelda-style adventure game rather than a traditional Star Fox game you may disagree), Command third, and Assault last and well behind the rest. Assault just felt like a dim shadow of 64 - it had similar gameplay, but the ground stages were poorly done, the lack of different paths ala 64 was a huge let-down, the story was haphazard, and the ending very disappointing. Command did much better, with a superior story (and different endings to boot!), the return of multiple paths, and some of the new modes. The fact that the traditional rail-style gameplay was little used was disappointing though, and personally I'd have preferred it one a console rather than the DS (but thats just me).

Zevox

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Geno has the best chances out of all of the possible Mario newcomer characters.
So a minor Mario character who is owned by a third party company has more chance than a relevant 1st party Mario character?

Geno also topped a poll on Japanese Smash Bros. fansite as the most wanted character.
So you know for a fact that Sakurai absoloutly defiantly chose those entries because the thought they would make good playable characters?
Square might also not ask for anything in return if they do request Geno for Brawl
And Brittney Spears might buckle down, stop drinking and become a responsible mother. What have you hypothetical situations got to do with anything.
as shown by his cameo in Mario & Luigi.
For which permission had to be asked and royalties may have had to be payed.
However, unlike Geno, a lot of Bowser Jr. and Shadow Mario’s special moves would have to be original
Magical Paintbrush, screaming ala SMSCF and Fire balls and what not from NSB, very tricky stuff to pull a moveset from that.
I think Sakurai would pick Geno or Bowser Jr. sooner than Paper Mario for a playable character.
And again I marvel at your psychic abilties.
Although there isn’t positive indication that the king, captain, and scientist
Yeah Leigh Loveday's confirmation isn't enough. Also the opening to the DKC2 GBA Remake clearly isn't canon gosh!
The question is though, whether Sakurai feels that the Donkey Kong series deserves a third-representative.
9th best selling video game series in the world, Nintendo's fourth best selling video game series get only two characters while a significantly smaller franchise like Kirby gets three. That is called biased.
However, what is mainly holding her back is a lack of a possible moveset (meaning that Sakurai’s team would have to come up with an original moveset for her)
Fighting with her hair, but I suppose as proved by SSB and SSBM Sakurai is a very uncreative man with limited imagination.
In a future Smash Bros., I expect Dixie to get in as playable character before Donkey Kong Jr.
Donkey Kong Jr is the current Donkey Kong as a child, he is like Baby Mario.
and the influx of furries into the fanbase.
These were around long before Krystal pining over Fox and Wolf and Kat. They're just more vocal nowadays.
Lucario has basically become the mascot of the fourth generation of Pokemon,
No he hasn't! Munchlax always has been and always will be the fourth generation mascot. Lucario is just a popular pokemon from the fourth gen.
Lucario also had a movie dedicated to him in the Pokemon anime
Dedicated to him? Have you seen it? He's a co-star with Mew and Ash and all of his little friends (plus the stupid kid with glasses) he is a main character but it is not dedicated to him.
(However, in an interview, a NOA representative said that Ike is helping to promote Radiant Dawn much like how Marth and Roy helped promote the Fire Emblem series worldwide.)
Considering the fact that Ike has his FE9 look not his FE10 look I fail to see how he could accuratly promote ****.
would not be unique for Brawl. Zelda, Lucas, possibly Mewtwo (who is likely to return), possibly a second Mother/EarthBound character, and possibly Ganondorf (I would imagine him to have some magic-based special moves) would be more than enough magic/psychic users in the game.
Have you played Fire Emblem at all? Her magical style would be completely different from all of them and she wouldn't have to just use FE10 light magic (and dark if they decide to use her promoted form) she could easily use light magic from the other games in the series which dates back to FE4, which would provide a lot of potential.
Also, Radiant Dawn is one of poorest selling Fire Emblem games in Japan,
It's been out less than a year, give it time.
Eliwood is considered by many Fire Emblem fans to be the most important lord of Blazing Sword
Only idiots say this, the plot revolves entirely around him.

That wasn't intended to be flamey, sorry if it seemed like it was :/

paralasalud

Smash Ace
very detailed, and very well written chronobound.

and i say keep tingle there, i like how people are reacting to him there.

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
and here's why you're stupid:

Of course. Unlike waluigi, at least tingle holds some popularity, and isn't a pointless filler character for sports games, and actually stars in his own games.

if so, then waluigi must have a negative nine thousand chance.

if you're going to say that these characters, especially ray and takmaru, have no chance, at least give some reasons why they shouldn't
Thanks, I was going to say many of those things, but you beat me to it.

Jigglypuff's popularity has not waned... She is still the second most popular pokemon, in a recent poll for a dvd with anime episodes starring one pokemon Jigglypuff was right behind Pikachu... Oh and also she has been confirmed to be returning by snake's voice actor, he said he wanted to beat up pikachu and jigglypuff the most. Seeing as how he does the transmission for each character's and that it's pretty hard to confuse her with another character (i'm sure that kirby's transmissions would have to do with his inhaling abilities that jigglypuff does not have) she's pretty much confirmed.
Source? I agree, but source?

people who say Tingle is deconfirmed by the trophy are unintelligent. Remember Melee? when all playable characters had 3 trophies? I do. the only thing that should make you think tingle wont be in brawl as a pc is common sense. on another note good job to the TC.
Clearly you are unnaware of the fanatical devotion Tingle commands in many circles. Also, just out of curiousity, how many of the PC's from Melee had their trophies shown several weeks before they were announced? Yeah, that would be a big ol' 0.

And Brittney Spears might buckle down, stop drinking and become a responsible mother. What have you hypothetical situations got to do with anything.
Come on, let's be realistic. That's not hypothetical, that's a miracle.

Anyhow, ChronoBound, I actually entered this topic because these character analysis topics annoy me more than Pichu and people talking on the phones while driving combined, and telling them so gives me some sort of sick satisfaction. I was pleasently surprised to agree with most of what you said. But until you cite more sources, I don't think you can call this the ULTIMATE character analysis topic.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I did a lot of time and research for this topic. Also, Radiant Dawn is stuck at where it is at in Japan it definitely won't be getting to 140K, RPGs have no legs there (also it was released back in February). I'm sorry I did not write a glowing over-exaggeration of the prospects of your favorite characters, and as I tried to be as unbiased as possible.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I thought you did a fine job.
Gave me something to read for a while.
Love the Ridley one BTW.​
Thank you. Also, I'll be updating my analyses whenever another character gets confirmed or deconfirmed, so they are as up to date as possible.

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
This actually convinced me that Geno would make a good character. I'm almost certain he, as well as Ridley will be in the game somehow. Krystal seems a bit iffy, I don't think she will be playable.

I will still hopelessly pray for Blaziken until the end. Blaziken is still arguably more popular than Deoxys. Deoxys was more of a fad.

I also want to see Ness return.

I want to see this "Sakurai's poll" you keep mentioning.

I believe Vaati has a better chance than Tingle. Vaati is the so-called "other villian" of the series. Vaati has a good chance as a boss in SE, moreso than Zant, IMO.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
This actually convinced me that Geno would make a good character. I'm almost certain he, as well as Ridley will be in the game somehow. Krystal seems a bit iffy, I don't think she will be playable.

I will still hopelessly pray for Blaziken until the end. Blaziken is still arguably more popular than Deoxys. Deoxys was more of a fad.

I also want to see Ness return.

I want to see this "Sakurai's poll" you keep mentioning.

I believe Vaati has a better chance than Tingle. Vaati is the so-called "other villian" of the series. Vaati has a good chance as a boss in SE, moreso than Zant, IMO.
Here is a link to the results of it:

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=71872

Magically Enhanced Hobo

Smash Journeyman
I come from the land of the ice and snow..
Whoo-boy, this one took me a while to get through. I didn't actually go and read all of the replies btw, so forgive me if this has been discussed. I agree with most of what you said, and I thought it was pretty well-written.

With that said, the one place I disagree most is with the whole Marth thing. Now, don't get me wrong, if we have 3 FE reps, Marth HAS to be one of them. However, if there are only two, I really don't think that Fire Emblem, a huge series with a diverse cast, should be limited in representation to two blue-haired sword users. Now, I understand that Marth is the face of FE and plays nothing like Ike, yadda yadda, and I would have actually brought back Marth before putting in Ike, but Sakurai already messed that one up.

Since I'm not really expecting FE to get 3 reps, I really think the second rep should be somebody more unique, like a caster or Axe user, etc.

Zevox

Smash Lord
Whoo-boy, this one took me a while to get through. I didn't actually go and read all of the replies btw, so forgive me if this has been discussed. I agree with most of what you said, and I thought it was pretty well-written.

With that said, the one place I disagree most is with the whole Marth thing. Now, don't get me wrong, if we have 3 FE reps, Marth HAS to be one of them. However, if there are only two, I really don't think that Fire Emblem, a huge series with a diverse cast, should be limited in representation to two blue-haired sword users. Now, I understand that Marth is the face of FE and plays nothing like Ike, yadda yadda, and I would have actually brought back Marth before putting in Ike, but Sakurai already messed that one up.

Since I'm not really expecting FE to get 3 reps, I really think the second rep should be somebody more unique, like a caster or Axe user, etc.
You're kidding. Marth is the single most important and popular character in that series' history. Excluding him from SSB on the basis of his appearance and weapon of choice would be sheer idiocy - like excluding Luigi because hes basically Mario in green (or more accurately, Mario because hes basically Luigi in red), or denying DK entry because Diddy is also a brown-furred primate. Theres no logic to it whatsoever, and its based on irrelevant factors.

Zevox

Magically Enhanced Hobo

Smash Journeyman
I come from the land of the ice and snow..
You're kidding. Marth is the single most important and popular character in that series' history. Excluding him from SSB on the basis of his appearance and weapon of choice would be sheer idiocy - like excluding Luigi because hes basically Mario in green (or more accurately, Mario because hes basically Luigi in red), or denying DK entry because Diddy is also a brown-furred primate. Theres no logic to it whatsoever, and its based on irrelevant factors.

Zevox
No dude, I love Marth as much as the next guy, I just don't think they should be the only two reps for FE. You don't have to defend him though, even if there ARE only two, Marth will come back, but you have to agree that it'd be nice to have someone who doesn't use a sword? Not even for FE's sake, just for Brawl in general to add a little diversity...Even a spellcaster/sword wielder like Isaac would be good.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
Mega Man:

Mega Man (or Rock Man as he is known in Japan) is the protagonist of the Mega Man series. The rendition that is shown in the picture above is from the classic series. Mega Man is considered by many to be Capcom’s mascot. He has many different series ranging from the “classic”, X, Legends, Battle Network, Zero, Star Force, and ZX. If there is one character from Capcom who should be in Brawl, it should be Mega Man. Why? Mega Man is basically Capcom’s mascot, and he is a major icon to gaming, much like Mario, Link, Sonic, Donkey Kong, or Pikachu. Also, Mega Man has had many games on many Nintendo consoles and also debuted on the NES, making him also an integral part of Nintendo’s game library and history. Mega Man also has a wide variety of moves from all of the games he has been in, making it very easy to come up with a moveset with him. Also, Mega Man has already been in a fighting game (the Marvel vs. Capcom series). Mega Man is by far one of the most deserving third-party characters to be in Brawl. Mega Man is also the only third-party character besides Geno to get more than one vote in Sakurai’s poll. Mega Man not only has the best chances out of any Capcom character, he also has the best chances out of any third-party character. Overall, Mega Man’s chances are extremely good.
there's just one extremely small problem I have with mega man's placement:

that picture is from the X series, not the classic series. -_-

Zevox

Smash Lord
but you have to agree that it'd be nice to have someone who doesn't use a sword? Not even for FE's sake, just for Brawl in general to add a little diversity...
Not at all. I see absolutely no reason to judge a character based on something as irrelevant as their fighting style, especially in the case of swordsmen, since swords are the archetpyical heroic weapon and therefor get given to many video game heroes. If a character makes for a good representative of their series, it doesn't matter whether they fight with their fists, a sword, magic, a staff, or whatever else; and if they don't, they shouldn't get in just because of what weapon or ability they do fight with.

Zevox

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
there's just one extremely small problem I have with mega man's placement:

that picture is from the X series, not the classic series. -_-
I'm sorry I didn't find a picture of classic Mega Man that I could use (I only found a sprite from MM8), so this is the best for now, I will be changing the picture though when I do find artwork of classic Mega Man that I can post.

tafutureboy

Smash Ace
here, let me semi-quote the box of SSB64

"Super Smash Brothers, Nintendo's MASCOTS come together to duke it out."

notice MASCOTS. I realize that
Sonic and Snake aren't necessarily mascots for Nintendo, but they are for other companies.

I'm tired of Geno, seeing as he is

A. not a mascot
B. starred in one game, as a sidekick.
C. had a small cameo, that you probably don't notice until you watch the credits.
yeah, he doesnt deserve a spot

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Wow really nice list friend. Very organized and while I haven't actually read much yet (too many words 0.0) I say your character choices are all possible choices. I hope however you just listed characters you think have a shot rather then ones you think will actually make it.

Ralph_Marquee

Smash Journeyman
Nope. I don't entirely agree with your Takamaru section. A person that uses a katana is far more unique than another fist fighter. For fist fighters, we have Mario, Lucas, Wario, Solid Snake, Diddy and Donkey, Sonic, Kirby, Pikachu, Bowser, Zelda, Yoshi.

For sword users we have only MetaKnight, Pit, Link and Ike THAT'S IT?? and Takamaru is a samurai who fights with a western style. That alone distinguishes him even further from the other swordfighters. TAKAMARU>any fist fighter.

limitbreak

Smash Ace
I dont have the time to read all of this now but as soon as i get home im going to read it. Looks like you might have some new stuff to bring to the table.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
yeah, he doesnt deserve a spot
Yeah, although Geno is my personal favortie among the likely Mario newcomers and think he has the best moveset potential, I think that he is the least important character to the Mario series among the likely newcomers. Bowser Jr. is the fifth most important character in the main Mario games, and Paper Mario has his own series. Geno only had an important role in one game, and a cameo in another. Nevertheless, I think Geno is the most likely because of is massive populairty in Japan. Heck, in Japan, Pokemon Trainer was much like Sonic and Ridley here, a popular character with some sceptics that thought he would be too awkard or wouldn't work, many Smash fans hated Red (which was that called him) because his fans were so confident of his placement in Brawl as a playable character and thought that the Trainer would be unable to fight. Also, Red ranked high on the Melee Japanese poll. I am thinking we might be at the mercy of the Japanese-Smash fanbase when it comes to characters placing in Brawl as playable.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Nope. I don't entirely agree with your Takamaru section. A person that uses a katana is far more unique than another fist fighter. For fist fighters, we have Mario, Lucas, Wario, Solid Snake, Diddy and Donkey, Sonic, Kirby, Pikachu, Bowser, Zelda, Yoshi.

For sword users we have only MetaKnight, Pit, Link and Ike THAT'S IT?? and Takamaru is a samurai who fights with a western style. That alone distinguishes him even further from the other swordfighters. TAKAMARU>any fist fighter.
Yeah, and Marth is very likely to return. Also, you have Bowser Jr. (if he uses the Paint Brush like a sword), Ganondorf (who will likely use his sword in his moveset), Wind Waker Link, Krystal (if she uses her staff), Roy, Sigurd, Eliwood, Masked Boy, Isaac, and Lip (if she uses Lip's stick as her primary means of offense) as possible sword-fighter characters. However, I was just using an argument by his detractors, in my analysis. I just wanted to be as fair as possible. Remember, that there are a lot of possible sword-users in Brawl, and we don't know how many Sakurai is going to place into Brawl. However, Takamaru does not have much competition in the Retro category, with the only one who could take his spot being Sukapon.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Wow, someone actually made a prediction thread without just saying "i want ridly becuz he lookz awesunm and no marth becuz he's ghey lookin". As well, you actually go into each character and explain why you believe they will be added. I also like who you explore characters who could make it but probably wont.

My only thing is I don't think K. Rool will be in it. My logic is when Dk and Diddy run into Bowser during one of the Subspace movies but hey, who knows.

Overall, I think it's very organized, well-thought out, and obviously you worked hard on it. I would suggest to include character pictures for added aesthetic appeal.

Zevox

Smash Lord
My only thing is I don't think K. Rool will be in it. My logic is when Dk and Diddy run into Bowser during one of the Subspace movies but hey, who knows.
Yet on the other hand you have an opening fight between Kirby and Petey Pirannah. I don't think its necessarily safe to assume that Subspace Emissary will pair each character with their respective rivals from their own series - crossovers seem to be in the works too.

Zevox

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Yet on the other hand you have an opening fight between Kirby and Petey Pirannah. I don't think its necessarily safe to assume that Subspace Emissary will pair each character with their respective rivals from their own series - crossovers seem to be in the works too.

Zevox
Oh yeah, I do understand that. That is what makes the entire game really interesting. However, for Bowser to possibly challenge the trio instead of trio makes me wonder a bit. Maybe Bowser and K. Rool are working side by side haha.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
your list fails cause of lip, tingle, and eliwood
How so? They all are quite popular, and have moveset potential. And I mentioned that Tingle and Lip were the least likely possible contenders in their respective categories.

limitbreak

Smash Ace
Very, Very interesting list. Most of them are the basic/ already expect or dont expect them though. Characters like pacman just stand no chance IMO. Nice job though.

raul

Smash Lord
As I stated before I did enjoy your thoughts and in depth looks at each series, but under 3rd party characters I would like to see your opinions on Ray-Man, Vector-Man, Other Sonic Characters, Simon Belmont, Ristar (ok, that one is my personal favorite, lol) and others.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
As I stated before I did enjoy your thoughts and in depth looks at each series, but under 3rd party characters I would like to see your opinions on Ray-Man, Vector-Man, Other Sonic Characters, Simon Belmont, Ristar (ok, that one is my personal favorite, lol) and others.
A while ago on GameFAQs, I posted detailed topics about contenders for a Square-Enix rperesentative, a Capcom representative, and a Namco representative. I also posted the Square-Enix topic here on SmashBoards, so if you search for it, it should be here. I also started to do a Sega analysis topic a few months ago, and I wrote analyses for Sonic and some of the lesser Sonic characters, however, I never finished it because there was a lack of demand for it (because Sonic was pretty much unchallenged for the Sega rep category).

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
nice one, althought krystal is confirmed by some rumors (I have seen the page and is really convincing) that is going to be in brawl (as an assist trhophie or as a player character should be the question, but is she would be an assist trophie, mnmaybe they had been already shown...?) so i guess than i'm hoping for a fourth rep of starfox... if there are four, welcome krystal ^^.. but if they are only three, i would forever hate krystal for taking the place of Wolf!

Top Bottom