• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Truth behind the Mewtwo DLC: Cash Grab 101

Status
Not open for further replies.

Booster

Smash Lord
Let me explain how he's a cash grab *pulls out Chalkboard and writes Cash Grab 101 on it*

Most people don't own both a Wii U and 3DS. Some people don't own a 3DS because you can get equally good games for cheaper on Mobile Devices, not to mention Mobile Devices pack more power then 3DS and Vita combined even for the weakest of mobile devices, comes with a bigger, HD screen (REAL HD) and on Android you can get emulators, further enhancing the quality of gaming on an Mobile Device. Any questions? No? Good, let's continue to part 2 *Erases 101 writes 102 in it's place*

Even less people own a Wii U. Wii U doesn't pack enough power for the general core gamer, not even close and the casuals Nintendo is targeting have moved onto Mobile Devices, not to mention most casuals still think Wii U is an accessory for Wii, the thing is barely advertised on TV due to PS4 and XboxOne (Mostly XboxOne) dominating the Commercial Market, with PS4 dominating the internet and sales.

Wii U, as good as it is, is subject to the fate that Panasonic 3DO, Turbografx 16 and Sega Saturn had: Being the obscure side console most people don't own. Though it won't sink Nintendo like The Dreamcast did to Sega, the Wii U's fate has been sealed. PS4 outsold Wii U in 3 months of being out compared to Wii U being out for a year and a half, even Nintendo has admitted to only being second best in console wars (Stay Classy Nintendo).

The Cheapest 3DS/2DS is the Gamestop Used 2DS at $120, The cheapest Wii U is $200 on Nintendo's website, but this isn't about Gamestop making money, this is about Nintendo making money, so $200+$20 in shipping and $130 for a 2DS. Plus shell out $44 for Smash 3DS (Tax included) and another $66 for Smash Wii U, that's effectively $460 DLC. So it's not free DLC and punishes the people who don't want a Wii U or 3DS.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Nobody is required to play the game at all, let alone own both versions. For crying out loud these games have an absolutely absurd amount of content in them, so it's a bit silly to begrudge Nintendo for giving people who have both versions a small bonus.

I bought a 3DS solely for Smash Bros, and I'm not mad at Nintendo over it. It was my decision, and I regret nothing. Smash is that good.

Niala

Smash Ace
Gonna get both versions, so don't care.
Basically this. I was never not getting both anyway so whatever.

Also, it's entirely possible Mewtwo will be able to be purchased separately. In fact, I'd be shocked if he wasn't. Giving only a specific subset of players access to a character isn't going to sit well, so even if they weren't planning it, they will be by the time the DLC releases.

Booster

Smash Lord
Basically this. I was never not getting both anyway so whatever.

Also, it's entirely possible Mewtwo will be able to be purchased separately. In fact, I'd be shocked if he wasn't. Giving only a specific subset of players access to a character isn't going to sit well, so even if they weren't planning it, they will be by the time the DLC releases.
It is possible yes, but not confirmed.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
The Cheapest 3DS/2DS is the Gamestop Used 2DS at $120, The cheapest Wii U is $200 on Nintendo's website, but this isn't about Gamestop making money, this is about Nintendo making money, so $200+$20 in shipping and $130 for a 2DS. Plus shell out $44 for Smash 3DS (Tax included) and another $66 for Smash Wii U, that's effectively $460 DLC. So it's not free DLC and punishes the people who don't want a Wii U or 3DS.
No, that's $460 for a home gaming console, a portable gaming console, and two games. Nobody is being punished. Stop being ridiculous.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Already have 3DS version, obviously getting that glorious Wii U version...

As a bonus I get mewtwo and a sound track...

Where's the cash grab.

Eight Melodies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DestroyerGiygas
Did they say that in the video? No, it's speculation at this point.
On Nintendo's twitter it says, "Register both versions in a promotional period & get him for free!" Sounds like you can pay for him too.

Last edited:

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
I'm not gonna complain, it could have been far worse than this.

Really don't need this type of negativity right after the direct. It's smash season, enjoy it.

GrandHc

Smash Rookie
I thought the implication was that he was FREE if you own both versions

Davis-Lightheart

Smash Journeyman
Did they say that in the video? No, it's speculation at this point.
If they said that they'll do it for the Hyrule Warriors costume DLC, then it makes no business sense for Nintendo to just limit him to having both versions of the game. Such a move would lose some obvious goodwill from Nintendo that even a child could predict coming, and with the Wii U struggling as it is, they don't want to harm their reputation.

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
You sure are the master of these aggitatedly written, flamebaiting threads aren't you?

This isn't that uncommon of a DLC practice to do, allow early adoptors to have the character sooner and for free, while letting people purchase the character after a couple weeks. Just as much as other people saying this is 'speculatory' it's equally so for you to claim he will NEVER EVER BE DOWNLOADABLE WITHOUT OWNING BOTH VERSIONS.

Stop it, stop trying to bait people.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
This thread is silly.

It's pretty obvious that Mewtwo will be paid DLC for people who don't have both versions. Only reason this wasn't mentioned was most likely to get more consumers (3DS owners) on the WiiU bandwagon.

Booster

Smash Lord
You sure are the master of these aggitatedly written, flamebaiting threads aren't you?

This isn't that uncommon of a DLC practice to do, allow early adoptors to have the character sooner and for free, while letting people purchase the character after a couple weeks. Just as much as other people saying this is 'speculatory' it's equally so for you to claim he will NEVER EVER BE DOWNLOADABLE WITHOUT OWNING BOTH VERSIONS.

I don't intentionally try to bait people...

Oh hello The Real Gamer.

Last edited:

Dott

Smash Ace
Wow, i tought companies lived from the hype of people and nothing else.

Really guys, it's obviously an strategy to make people purchase for both versions and make them give all their money to Nintendo. It's probably going to be a time exclusive for a couple of months and then release him as a paid DLC. It would be really dumb if they let pass an oportunity like this. Specially in their actual situation.

Last edited:

Booster

Smash Lord
Wow, i tought companies lived from the hype of people and nothing else.

Really guys, it's obviously an strategy to make people purchase for both versions and make them give all their money to Nintendo. It's probably going to be a time exclusive for a couple of months and then release him as a DLC. It would be really dumb if they let pass an oportunity like this. Specially in their actual situation.
It's not working I'm not buying both versions, I'll find someone who owns the 3DS version but doesn't own the Wii U version and hook up with them.

NNID
User7a1
Mewtwo is free during a promotional period for those who own both versions of the game. He'll be paid DLC afterwards for everyone else- NOE Twitter

Speculator

Smash Ace
You get him free if you register both versions within a certain date. If you don't own both versions, buy him from the eShop. This was for all intents and purposes confirmed to be the case when they said "Register both versions in a promotional period & get him for free!" - they wouldn't waste time developing a DLC character if it was only going to be available for a few months.

Donkey_Inferno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Donkey_Inferno
3DS FC
4768-7553-7018
Already own both copies, fully paid off WiiU preorder and now I wait.

So I'm garaunteed MewTwo.

I'm sure what they'll do is people who own both copies get it for free in Spring. And People who only own 1 copy will get it in Summer. Something like that.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
I'm not gonna complain, it could have been far worse than this.

Really don't need this type of negativity right after the direct. It's smash season, enjoy it.
Dear God, this.

This is a gift that we weren't expecting to get either way that has made so many people very, very happy. Those who buy both versions will be rewarded for their commitment to Smash whereas those who don't will be able to download Mewtwo at a smaller cost, just as with any other DLC (I realise that this hasn't been confirmed but there's no way that it won't happen).

Enjoy the incredible amount of content we're going to be getting and refrain from exercising your desire to condemn a company for trying to promote their products.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Yeah I have the same thoughts as well. People who own both versions will probably get to play as Mewtwo earlier (probably as a thanks for purchasing both versions). And then those who didn't will probably have to wait a bit afterwards before they can use him as well.

But I guess we'll see how things turn out.....

Davis-Lightheart

Smash Journeyman
That's for Europe, but thank you for input!
Ok; you're being an obvious troll right now...

People; don't fall for this garbage. Mewtwo will be available on the e-shop in due time for all regions, and this promotion won't even matter in the long run once everyone has the DLC.

Last edited:

Booster

Smash Lord
Dear God, this.

This is a gift that we weren't expecting to get either way that has made so many people very, very happy. Those who buy both versions will be rewarded for their commitment to Smash whereas those who don't will be able to download Mewtwo at a smaller cost, just as with any other DLC (I realise that this hasn't been confirmed but there's no way that it won't happen).

Enjoy the incredible amount of content we're going to be getting and refrain from exercising your desire to condemn a company for trying to promote their products.
I will enjoy the content, but crooked DLC practice is crooked, whether it's Capcom, Square Enix or even Nintendo.

Dott

Smash Ace
It's not working I'm not buying both versions, I'll find someone who owns the 3DS version but doesn't own the Wii U version and hook up with them.
That's your case, but the poeple who can buy both versions is their target, if i could i would buy both but for the soundtrack, which it's a very nice thing from them.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
So it looks like he'll be free for a certain period for players that get both versions, then purchasable for everyone else after? (and I assume he'll also be available for purchase at the same time of his free period as well, for those who only have one version)

Anyone got a link to that Twitter post I've seen mentioned regarding that?

Last edited:

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
We have no clue if it's on-disc DLC, it seems incredibly vague at the moment. It very well could be, but for the time being, quit jumping to conclusions.

Even though I'm getting both versions, I would assume that Mewtwo will be up for download on both the 3DS e-shop and Wii U e-shop a few weeks after he's released for those with both versions. It would be pretty strange if they didn't.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
Let me explain how he's a cash grab *pulls out Chalkboard and writes Cash Grab 101 on it*

Most people don't own both a Wii U and 3DS. Some people don't own a 3DS because you can get equally good games for cheaper on Mobile Devices, not to mention Mobile Devices pack more power then 3DS and Vita combined even for the weakest of mobile devices, comes with a bigger, HD screen (REAL HD) and on Android you can get emulators, further enhancing the quality of gaming on an Mobile Device. Any questions? No? Good, let's continue to part 2 *Erases 101 writes 102 in it's place*

Even less people own a Wii U. Wii U doesn't pack enough power for the general core gamer, not even close and the casuals Nintendo is targeting have moved onto Mobile Devices, not to mention most casuals still think Wii U is an accessory for Wii, the thing is barely advertised on TV due to PS4 and XboxOne (Mostly XboxOne) dominating the Commercial Market, with PS4 dominating the internet and sales.

Wii U, as good as it is, is subject to the fate that Panasonic 3DO, Turbografx 16 and Sega Saturn had: Being the obscure side console most people don't own. Though it won't sink Nintendo like The Dreamcast did to Sega, the Wii U's fate has been sealed. PS4 outsold Wii U in 3 months of being out compared to Wii U being out for a year and a half, even Nintendo has admitted to only being second best in console wars (Stay Classy Nintendo).

Oh lord, where do I start?

Some people don't own a 3DS because you can get equally good games for cheaper on Mobile Devices
Hahahahaha...

the thing is barely advertised on TV due to PS4 and XboxOne (Mostly XboxOne) dominating the Commercial Market
The Xbone has been absolutely slaughtered on the market, it's actually got a smaller install base than the Wii U. The Xbone is being advertised heavily, but it's sold, from the last counts I saw, less than half the units of the PS4 and is simply struggling to compete.

The console generation leader is the 3DS by an extremely long way. There's something of the order of four 3DSs for every PS4 on the market. The 3DS has sold considerably more units than all the other current generation consoles on the market combined.

The Wii U ultimately hasn't done all that badly. It's terrible in comparison to the Wii, but it's not doing that poorly. It has a better attachment rate (sale of games per console) than both the Xbone and PS4 from what I can find. At this point in time, strong sales in the Xmas period could see the console end up doing very well for the year.

It's also probably not best seeing Mewtwo as a reason to buy the other game alone. If you're really that fickle that you must have him immediately (I fully expect that Mewtwo will be offered as a standalone DLC at some point down the line), then buy both. They're not forcing anything on you though, and nobody is being punished. Mewtwo is new content being made to be released well after the Wii U version has released, as a free bonus for loyal customers. To be completely honest I suspect that Mewtwo is being used to ease DLC into Smash Bros (as it shows they have retained the staff needed to make new characters).

We have no clue if it's on-disc DLC, it seems incredibly vague at the moment. It very well could be, but for the time being, quit jumping to conclusions.

Even though I'm getting both versions, I would assume that Mewtwo will be up for download on both the 3DS e-shop and Wii U e-shop a few weeks after he's released for those with both versions. It would be pretty strange if they didn't.
The way they introduced Mewtwo suggests that he's not even finished at this time. They also clearly stated "download to the 3DS and Wii U". We also know that he's not on the 3DS game card.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom