• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

the truth about winning with zelda.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
You're amazing KayLo. You started off a new Zelda guide, and now you've made a great thread for all Zelda players.

What would this board be without you?

Aibou

Smash Master
You're amazing KayLo. You started off a new Zelda guide, and now you've made a great thread for all Zelda players.

What would this board be without you?
I agree with that. This is a very good guide. Informative, yet straightforward. It doesn't have anything like specific frame data or things like that that a still-growing player like myself wouldn't understand. I'm going to refer to it whenever I need some knowledge.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
So... I'm stickying this. And de-stickying the current guide we have.

I think we can all attest to the fact that, though sinking put ALOT of effort into that guide, it's not very up-to-date with things.

This is like the appetiser for the new guide to come!

edit: actually I'll sticky if it gets the forum's seal of approval aka if everyone wants that.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Will it stay stickied even when the new guide is up?

Cus it should be.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Not trying to be a troll but 9 stickies is an awful lot lol if this stuff is really that important just put it in the guide.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
I personally think we should unsticky the Tourney Placings and Wifi Friend Finder stickies, since they arent really used that often. If they are though and I dont know then forget this lol

zeldspazz

Smash Master
K, well once I start going to tourneys I may find it more useable lol ^_^

Cant wait

-Mars-

Smash Hero
ummm if you're planning on using ZSS then yes you should be excited lol.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
ZSS = Secondary in Progess x.x

Ill use Zelda, but probably more for low tiers than anything else. Im trying to get ZSS to a level where I feel comfortable competitively, which may take a while.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Then you are not a Zelda main:). I'm starting to think that Riot may be the only Zelda main in the country lol.

Oh and Maos but he/she sucks really bad so whatever.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Nah wait a minute Im still tryin her first :) ZSS is just someone to fall back on competitively if things dont go to well at first. Ill still attempt Zelda at least.

And shes still my favorite character to use anyway, so friendlies are fun with her.

Wolfric

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GoodLuckTrying
I said it before, SinkingHigher's Guide is out of date for a lot, you need to update that or make a new Guide taking what SH's guide has and giving him his credit.

In the end, an update is needed, better if it has every attack's frame data, not just ATs and "possible" combos as the current one have (Not saying they should be taken off, jusst saying it needs the Basics as every attack's frame data, then the Extras as "combos" and "ATs".

EDIT: Put the capital "T", I beg you! T_T

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Wolfric, the team is right now in the process of writing, getting pictures, gathering information, and planning the guide. We already know it out of date and we are doing something about it. So there is no need to keep capitalizing it, we got this :)

Sheik-ah-love

Smash Rookie
wow, this really opened my eyes. I try to play zelda whenever I get the chance to (I always figured she was top tier) but I might have to re-evaluate my thinking. Thanks a lot. ^_^

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I did that Wi-Fi tourney.

I advanced to round two, beating a Lucas/Pikachu.

I lost the next round to an extreme Pit player.

It was fun though.

noradseven

Smash Lord
wow, this really opened my eyes. I try to play zelda whenever I get the chance to (I always figured she was top tier) but I might have to re-evaluate my thinking. Thanks a lot. ^_^
lol what when I first played her I was like wtf this is even worse than melee zelda, alot easier to scrub with though.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
lol what when I first played her I was like wtf this is even worse than melee zelda, alot easier to scrub with though.
Idk how you could think that but alright xD

It seemed like she got major buffs but the gameplay changes made them not even matter. People didnt realize the latter for a bit though

Aibou

Smash Master

It seemed like she got major buffs but the gameplay changes made them not even matter. People didnt realize the latter for a bit though
Seconded. Personally, I thought she was top tier when the game first came out.

Boy did I get a slap in the face a few months later. Poor Zelda...

noradseven

Smash Lord

Really this was our like week 1-2 speculation
-In brawl all pokes are aireal based, she now has no good aireal pokes, f-air/b-air being range nerfed, and being mad punishable on block.
-d-tilt nerfed so it doesn't lol loop to the same degree.
-grab easier to land not as good(in melee it was a free lighting kick possibly a lighting kick combo).
-lighting kicks no longer combo into more lighting kicks, but everyone had to deal with this.

The good, up B hits on exit whoop whoop.
+bigger hitbox on side B not really that useful, because new airdodge system made it easy to dodge.
+f-smash is hillariously gay, will proably be beaten once I get good at the game. *its still gay
+u-smash is dodgable by some of the cast, and we were finding things that beat it.

The same terrible air mobility, neutral B still terrible(found out its a bit better more recently), nothing really good added except she got a ton easier at the scrub level.

I had to spend forever telling people that zelda isn't really better in brawl than she was in melee... I still have problems convincing people sometimes.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
@Norad: Umm but she's defidently not worse than she was in melee if thats what youre getting at @_@

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
-d-tilt nerfed so it doesn't lol loop to the same degree.
It's much better poke in Brawl and also leads to LKs, grabs, smashes and Utilt/Usmash.
-grab easier to land not as good(in melee it was a free lighting kick possibly a lighting kick combo).
This only worked if your opponents didn't know that they can actually DI.
-lighting kicks no longer combo into more lighting kicks
Worked against the fatties at obscenely low percents or in special situations. Otherwise read the above statement.

Brawl is also a much slower game than Melee was, which helps Zelda's precicion game immersely. She also doesn't get combo'd to death after the first hit from any high/top tier character and it's actually possible to get back on ground after she is hit into air unlike in Melee.

Just saying.

noradseven

Smash Lord
Also lol I said week 1 impression...and overall I think she is about the same as she was in melee.

I found out the applications to the new d-tilt later, but still it lead to alot of **** in melee too.

The lighting kick stuff in melee only worked on the fastfallers at low percentages <20% really, however this did include fox/falco/shiek/falcon...4 very comoonly played characters around here back in da day.

Plus the range of the LK is far worse in brawl than it was in melee, in melee that **** outranged almost everything, she was still trash though...

I found wolf to be crazy good back in the day, when it first came out still find him to be **** good now, just so many people have gimmicky things they can do to him.

I never understood the TL craze back in the day I always thought he was meh.
I found Ike to be not so good, saw that recovery and was like best you can hope for is mid tier, I thought he was going to end a bit lower than he did actually...

Mikey Lenetia

Smash Champion
NNID
MikeyLenetia
This only worked if your opponents didn't know that they can actually DI.
Worked against the fatties at obscenely low percents or in special situations. Otherwise read the above statement.
I played a bit with Zelda in Melee, and both of the statements you countered are not necessarily false. Sure, if they didn't DI most characters would be asking to get kicked. However, ALL the fast fallers during certain percents could not only get chaingrabbed by Zelda's up throw, it lead into a guaranteed kick even with DI. Also, low percent kick combos worked for all characters, though usually would lead to specific instances or their DI being off(which commonly happened because of trying to avoid/counter the kick). While certainly situational because of the fast-paced nature of Melee/Zelda's horrific grab, these instances still happened enough to be of merit to mention as a plus for her in the game. It wasn't enough to balance out all her minuses, though, so meh. ^_^;

Otherwise, I agree with what you said. Though it is funny to trade a kick with someone in mid-juggle and listen to the obscenities. XD

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
Really? I thought those were always dependant of DI error on the opponent's part.

Learn something new every day.

Toadallstar2

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BadInfluenceX
loved reading this...

One of the best feelings in the world is to kill with a lightning kick. It feels amazing haha.

Darkmusician

Smash Master
I played a bit with Zelda in Melee, and both of the statements you countered are not necessarily false. Sure, if they didn't DI most characters would be asking to get kicked. However, ALL the fast fallers during certain percents could not only get chaingrabbed by Zelda's up throw, it lead into a guaranteed kick even with DI. Also, low percent kick combos worked for all characters, though usually would lead to specific instances or their DI being off(which commonly happened because of trying to avoid/counter the kick). While certainly situational because of the fast-paced nature of Melee/Zelda's horrific grab, these instances still happened enough to be of merit to mention as a plus for her in the game. It wasn't enough to balance out all her minuses, though, so meh. ^_^;

Otherwise, I agree with what you said. Though it is funny to trade a kick with someone in mid-juggle and listen to the obscenities. XD
This man knows of what he speaks. Chain grabbing spacies to kick is legit if you can get that grab. Double kicks at low percent is money in the bank. And yeah too bad she had too many short comings to pose a true threat in most situations. Such is the nature of games.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Then you are not a Zelda main:). I'm starting to think that Riot may be the only Zelda main in the country lol.

Oh and Maos but he/she sucks really bad so whatever.
Sorry I'm so late in this topic lol...

There's still DM and myself. I know there's a few lurkers out there that we don't know about or they don't post.

If you look at tier lists in some other countries, Zelda is much higher (though she is with Sheik). I'm not sure if, and its probably because their metagame is still further behind, but it doesn't knock the fact that she is still high.

Realistically, Zelda probably cannot win a major anytime soon but maybe, like in melee, DownB is simply another option we have. It allows us to cover mostly all problems we face and vice-versa. Even if we feel uncomfortable in doing so, maybe we can at least try and learn Sheik, even if it doesn't seem natural.

I dunno, just speculating lol.

Also, LOL at LK's in melee. I treated those like a knee except with plenty more sparkles. They were way too god.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Pretty sure we can call Bobby an MK main at this point from what I've heard, lol.

Darkmusician

Smash Master
If anyone wants to get the facts they can always PM me instead of jumping to conclusions.

I do not use exclusively MK nor Zelda.

At SBHMXV this past weekend I used MK, Snake, Zelda, Falco, Marth. I practice other chars as well but I never really use them in tournament so I don't count them at all.

I just use whomever I feel like using at the moment. Unless I have a specific game plan going into a set which is rare since it's such a small community and I know everyone by heart pretty much. I have alot of fun going many different characters because I learn quite alot when I play and if I do well I get to treat my crew to curry house.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Point being: Bobby's not a Zelda "main" anymore. That's not criticism. x.x Just stating facts.

Top Bottom