• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Top Ten Videos of Each Character

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
Quoting it because I see stuff like this posted:

I mean yeah, nice to watch a Falcon beat MK but what kind of MK play is that? How can this be categorized as a characters' best video when it's basically half a good match? I don't see how vids like these are OK for the OP but MMs with GREAT gameplay are not used because MMs are categorically excluded. Whatever.

:059:
So basically no videos of bad matchups being overcome can be shown? This also means that videos of characters rarely played can hardly ever be uploaded either. But def agree on the MM part. I think not including MM's is just taking this thread way too seriously, great gameplay is great gameplay regardless of setting; furthermore, I think a majority of the people who go in and watch the games in the OP wouldn't mind the MM's at all, and in fact would most likely desire a larger number of recent quality videos, especially for the characters that have like 0-2 vids. Shouldn't their concerns have priority over the personal dogma the threadtender?

C.J.

Smash Master
At 1:39 I was like "Okay everyone makes mistakes". At 1:52 I start to wonder if ESAM is sandbagging.
1:39 wasn't a mistake. Marth can DS out of pika's fthrow->usmash from 0 till about 3ish.

Esam ALWAYS tries to bait it.

C.J.

Smash Master
I was talking about punishing the Dolphin Slashes.
I'd still say that he didn't mess up. Choose to fthrow, hope for kadaj to try to DS which would let esam get fthrow->usmash fairly close to the ledge. So if it worked he'd net ~35% and have amazing stage positioning.

I have nothing to defend the dair though.

zmx

Smash Lord
So basically no videos of bad matchups being overcome can be shown? This also means that videos of characters rarely played can hardly ever be uploaded either. But def agree on the MM part. I think not including MM's is just taking this thread way too seriously, great gameplay is great gameplay regardless of setting; furthermore, I think a majority of the people who go in and watch the games in the OP wouldn't mind the MM's at all, and in fact would most likely desire a larger number of recent quality videos, especially for the characters that have like 0-2 vids. Shouldn't their concerns have priority over the personal dogma the threadtender?
You've missed the point he was trying to make. I'll try to explain carefully.

Captain Falcon won that match, not because he used innovative ground-breaking tactics that no other good C. Falcon ever does in the matchup, but simply because the MK player in that one match was playing horribly. My guess is, it's because he underestimated C falcon and didn't take the game too seriously.

This is pretty evident when you consider he easily demolished Captain Falcon in the following 2 games where C. Falcon was used. Think about it. This clearly shows that C. Falcon just got really lucky in the first match since the MK played so terrible. Once he got serious, the C. Falcon didn't stand a chance. If he truly had stood a chance, the other games at least should've been close.

And like the person said, this isn't a thread that's supposed to show all videos of ownage where the other player makes mistake after mistake. It's supposed to show videos where both players are performing at high level so the victory is actually earned.

This is why that Game and Watch video deserves a lot more recognition. Sure he lost but he played extremely well and came closer than anyone can hope at beating an Ice climbers player that was playing that well. A far superior video than say a video where you have a pro game and watch against a noob ice climber 3-stocking him. I mean duh. What did you expect?

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
You've missed the point he was trying to make. I'll try to explain carefully.
No I didn't. But you clearly missed mine. But sure fine, no vids of low tiers fighting anything above low tier then, because if they actually win it's because the opponents are trash by definition.

Oh and fyi he was playing Falcon in an innovative albeit risky manner that still did work this one game. Seriously what kind of video do you want from Falcon? There's only so so much you can do with certain characters and matchups and Reflex managed to do so so and a little more. In my book that qualifies the video for the Falcon section.

Edit: Btw why is Illmatic banned? Because Peach sucks? I mean come on... it's a really ****y character and all (arguably worse than Sonic) but that's no reason to just ban all Peach mains.

zmx

Smash Lord
But sure fine, no vids of low tiers fighting anything above low tier then, because if they actually win it's because the opponents are trash by definition.
QUOTE]

Are you actually, even for an instance, suggesting that MK player wasn't playing like trash in that match?

Hmmm let's see.

First kill. Up B kill. On Meta Knight. When he should've air dodged and would've been able to easily punish it. Like if it was someone terrible in the air like snake it'd be understandable. But a top level MK player? Come on.

Second Kill. A spike. Again on Meta Knight. Think about what I'm saying here.

Third Kill. Bad DI by MK. He might've surived it but didn't even try to.

In other words all the kills falcon got in that match shouldn't even be possible on a top MK player and you are actually suggesting he earned that victory? Give me a break.

And did you see what I said about that game and watch video? He's lower tier than ice climbers and nearly beat him through sheer skill. Not because the latter was playing horribly like here.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
How often are you going to see a video of a falcon actually playing at a high level though. beggars cant be choosers...

i mean, you can put up the other two videos where the CF gets ***** but what can that really teach somebody who wants to see what high level falcon play looks like? especially in tournament, since thats the rules of this thread.

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
But sure fine, no vids of low tiers fighting anything above low tier then, because if they actually win it's because the opponents are trash by definition.
QUOTE]

Are you actually, even for an instance, suggesting that MK player wasn't playing like trash in that match?

Hmmm let's see.

First kill. Up B kill. On Meta Knight. When he should've air dodged and would've been able to easily punish it. Like if it was someone terrible in the air like snake it'd be understandable. But a top level MK player? Come on.

Second Kill. A spike. Again on Meta Knight. Think about what I'm saying here.

Third Kill. Bad DI by MK. He might've surived it but didn't even try to.

In other words all the kills falcon got in that match shouldn't even be possible on a top MK player and you are actually suggesting he earned that victory? Give me a break.

And did you see what I said about that game and watch video? He's lower tier than ice climbers and nearly beat him through sheer skill. Not because the latter was playing horribly like here.
Christs sake man, I know the MK played like ****, that's beside my point. Again because Captain Falcon is such a ****y character there's really no way to put up videos of him beating anyone past mid-mid tier without the opponent playing badly to a certain degree or the Falcon getting lucky. Granted with MK being his opponents it's a little on the extreme side but the alternative is basically simply not having any videos vs him or other high tiers, ever.

Furthermore why put so much focus on MK in the first place? It is a Falcon video and from his perspective it was well played. He did lots of clever unexpected things, such as the UP-B kill you think was obvious, (which btw is a bit of a joke in itself, I mean really how often do you meet a Falcon who tries to kill you with his up-b), the spike and down-b's from the air. He basically did all he could in a terrible matchup all in all playing very good.

And what does GnW and Ice climbers even have to do with this? The scenario isn't the same as MK vs Falcon.

Flayl

Smash Hero
I think the point is that a video of a captain falcon losing to a good top tier player is actually more valuable to this thread than a video with captain falcon winning

IMO a compromise should be struck, I probably wouldn't list Reflex's vid myself but against a slightly better opponent I would.

Tesh

Smash Hero
The snake did some pretty impressive stuff, especially that ending, but the MK was very predictable. First half of the match he just approached with SHDair (which he kept getting punished for) and Nado and he followed up poorly on all of his juggles.

He did a bit better towards the end, but he still didn't exploit Snake's vulnerability in the air at all. Pretty lackluster.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Are you saying he is good? I already knew he was a top MK, I just didn't feel like he played well that match. On a few reads he did make, he reacted way too slow.

Just imo, I wasn't very satisfied with how the MK played.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Snake isn't generally easy to juggle, contrary to common believe. American Snake players are just terrible at this game and airdodge and B-reverse very predictably and get juggled for it. Mix up side B, [pivot] C4, reverse nade, occasional aerial, occasional airdodge and Snake becomes kind difficult to juggle or at least not to trade hits with.

Watch Razer vs Seibrik @Pound V and tell me how many times Razer got juggle trapped. Every Snake is supposed to handle it like that but apparently only japanase Snakes do it consistently. Also, Shogun is like "only" 5th-6th best Snake in Japan, MAYBE 4th if we count out Souther who's inactive. Wake me up when the "5th best american Snake" handles juggle traps that well ... ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

boss8

Smash Hero
Snake isn't generally easy to juggle, contrary to common believe. American Snake players are just terrible at this game and airdodge and B-reverse very predictably and get juggled for it. Mix up side B, [pivot] C4, reverse nade, occasional aerial, occasional airdodge and Snake becomes kind difficult to juggle or at least not to trade hits with.

Watch Razer vs Seibrik @Pound V and tell me how many times Razer got juggle trapped. Every Snake is supposed to handle it like that but apparently only japanase Snakes do it consistently. Also, Shogun is like "only" 5th-6th best Snake in Japan, MAYBE 4th if we count out Souther who's inactive. Wake me up when the "5th best american Snake" handles juggle traps that well ... ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

mr dooms snake doesnt get juggled -_^b

Mr-R

Smash Champion
yep south americans are often underrated ;D

also that japanese snake is awesome

Top Bottom