• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Top 5 Brawl [ US | CAN | MEX]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Please at least read what you write! Would you give the thread to someone that constantly campaigned and complained about it until they would get it?

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Please at least read what you write! Would you give the thread to someone that constantly campaigned and complained about it until they would get it?
This is a democracy. Democracies have elections. The one who looks the best and sounds the best is elected president. Why wouldn't I campaign? I'm just being a normal politician.

The way the thread was chosen seemed more like a dictatorship though. No votes for people, just wing wang wozzle. An all knowing mod decides.

:018:

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Alright Seagull, if you say the Top 5 thread is an election, and the Quick Reply is your podium, then it must be true. XD

I'm going to bed, see ya mate. Maybe you'll get it next time by doing what I said.

EDIT: For that matter, God forbid WTP actually does the thread well and we don't have to give it to anyone else.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Smashboards is in no way a democracy lmao. I would have closed this thread long ago if Krys didn't try really hard to keep it open, and I'm very close to just closing it again because I hate people messaging me all the time over this thread.

You guys will get over it, it's not that big of a deal.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
My only request:

Owner of the thread can't have a MLP avatar.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
For the record, all I'm going to say is that objectively speaking Seagull had amongst the objectively weakest applications and it was more of a tough choice between WTP and the person we have on stand-by in the event WTP doesn't fulfill the promises he made in his application.

This thread exists in a sort of discretionary gray area as far as site policy goes, so no it's not a democracy. WTP presented the strongest vision for the future of the thread. Wasn't anything personal, even if you're trying to make it that way.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Alright Seagull, if you say the Top 5 thread is an election, and the Quick Reply is your podium, then it must be true. XD

I'm going to bed, see ya mate. Maybe you'll get it next time by doing what I said.

EDIT: For that matter, God forbid WTP actually does the thread well and we don't have to give it to anyone else.
No, I still won't. If I stop posting at all then I'll have a chance. Or maybe I'll just place last at tourneys to give myself less bias. Whatever makes the gods (mods) happy.
Smashboards is in no way a democracy lmao. I would have closed this thread long ago if Krys didn't try really hard to keep it open, and I'm very close to just closing it again because I hate people messaging me all the time over this thread.

You guys will get over it, it's not that big of a deal.
Why would you close the best thread on smashboards?
If it matters, I'm totally cool with how things worked out.

I'm about half way down the list with the preliminary changes.
:bee:.
My only request:

Owner of the thread can't have a MLP avatar.
This in itself should go to anyone who posts ever anywhere.
For the record, all I'm going to say is that objectively speaking Seagull had amongst the objectively weakest applications and it was more of a tough choice between WTP and the person we have on stand-by in the event WTP doesn't fulfill the promises he made in his application.

This thread exists in a sort of discretionary gray area as far as site policy goes, so no it's not a democracy. WTP presented the strongest vision for the future of the thread. Wasn't anything personal, even if you're trying to make it that way.
You expect me with a Chemistry degree to type length answers to an application versus WTP who if I recall correctly, his major is something like Journalism or English? Yeah, right.

And the person on stand-by is Cassio as far as I know.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
WTP, I'd be happy to assist you on anything whenever you're in a bit of help. If that's alright with you, of course. :3

Edit--

:pinkiepie: :troll::troll::troll:

What's The Point

Smash Master
I don't think I wrote as much as you think I did. If DeLux doesn't care I'll just copy and paste the questionnaire PM.

Also just reordering the update section to be in line with the Top 5/Tier list. But decided to post this first to break from all the tab switching.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
i dont think major is important lmao.
Im in comp sci and my application was boss. but not boss enough apparently =[

What's The Point

Smash Master
Okay, updated.

Remember, this is a preliminary update. Mostly off hand and what has been said in the thread as of recent. I'll be going through results tomorrow to make better changes. For instance I know Wario and ICs are going to be different tomorrow.

I also expect people to tell me what they think is wrong with the listings. I encourage it. But please link me the tournament results of the player you think should be on the list. I want to keep this stuff on record.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
:wolf: list is good. No quarrels.

:diddy: list looks good too. Though I feel like Alphazealot is overlooked at times. I know he attended a tourney recently, but not sure who he beat that is significant. Then again, guess GA/SoCal wins are better then most in the Mw.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I can copypasta my reply on Delux's PM as well of delux is fine with that, just so I can see what you guys would think of it, lol.

---

:kirby2: list is great.

Will currently await for falln, mike, and RRR's response on this whenever they can.

:ike: list is good.

And :rob: needs a Dill in there. I'll keep track on that guy, because he is looking boss.

What's The Point

Smash Master
I guess I should repeat what I said to DeLux on how I'm going to handle the list.

Consistency is king. Having a great win is fine, but if you never repeat that performance then I don't really care. An example would be MrConCon beating Larry, but as far as I know (Till tomorrow) he's never done anything to indicate that wasn't a fluke. In a very similar vein, Lycan just beat Larry. If he doesn't take out another name then that Larry win will slowly lose merit over time.

I'm going to keep a list of everyone on the Top 5 (and people suggested for the top 5) and their tournament results. Wins and loses. Loses matter. Beating a great player once but regularly doing poorly (Relative to skill level) doesn't make a player better than some one who consistently does good. Wins and loses weight decays over time, I'm about to say about 6 months unless they were very key events, like WHOBO4 or bigger.

I also really want people to chime in on what they think about any of the top 5s. I'm not the most knowledgeable man on every character and every player. As long as you sound smart and show me results to back up your claims than I'm going to listen to you. And seriously, links the results. I really don't want to just see "Yo Player X beat Player Y, Top 5 Character" cause that is rarely helpful.

I'm a top 5 Marth player. I lose to solid players.
Example of a none helpful post.

And :rob: needs a Dill in there. I'll keep track on that guy, because he is looking boss.
If that was followed by result thread links then that's a good example. Though he obviously had the intention, just hasn't done it yet.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
here are top5 robs

1) Holy
2) Dill
3) stingers
4) Kiraflax
5) Chibo

just cp that in the OP and you're good to go. yw

Tesh

Smash Hero
I already explained why I should be above Wedge and Meekspeedy for :sonic:

Should be D1AOS for 1 then me then the others in the order they are in now.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
If that was followed by result thread links then that's a good example. Though he obviously had the intention, just hasn't done it yet.
I had the intention yeah, and I just did it.

HERE'S DILL :rob::

Dill took ANTi to game 5. He lost, but he did great.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=326751

This kind of sucks though since there's no brackets shown on this thread to see who he has beaten.
Looking for more. Also, if anyone can at least see what's up with t0mmy, that'd be coolio.

=====

Here's another one.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=326153

He won against NAKAT.
False
Jtails
and Nairo twice in a MK banned tourney.

=====

Here's Impact III of dill in 9th place, beating Will, Dcold, and Zorai, also some guy named Doug.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=323941&highlight=Impact

Here's a quote from MK.

I want to showcase a fellow smasher I play with a lot. In fact, he's where I've gotten my ROB exp from. He's literally the best ROB I've ever played. We dubbed him the best random in the world because he rarely enters tournaments (so most people see him as an "unknown") but when he does enter he takes names! Trust me these matches are cool to watch!

SSBB: Dill :rob: Vs Will :dk2: - Impact III (Game 1)
SSBB: Dill :rob: Vs Will :dk2:- Impact III (Game 2)

I should share these with the ROB boards. :laugh:
Overall, I could be sure to say Dill has been making a better performance than t0mmy.
I just have to know what tommy did to confirm it or not.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I already explained why I should be above Wedge and Meekspeedy for :sonic:

Should be D1AOS for 1 then me then the others in the order they are in now.
Just a second there, Tesh. As far as I recall unless I'm misinformed, doesn't X still place consistently well, and he went over to Cali again and placed? This is me without doing enough research obviously, but here's what I feel the Top 5 :sonic: list should be.

1.) __X__ (IF it's true with how active he's been and top placing still where he fights, otherwise switch __X__ with #2)
2.) Espy
3.) Meekspeedy
4.) Tesh
5.) D1AOS

--

Loosely written due to how shaky things are as the list continues down. Meek still places consistently, and as far as I recall? A lot of his key victories still boil down to Sonic despite the occassional use of MK. My accomplishments are overshadowed by the rest of the people on this list by a large margin. Any fights I've had with top level players otherwise, be they money matches or bracket or not were some time ago. That and I do not have the pleasure of fighting a lot of ranked players save for our local heroes KillLock and Alphicans.

I've said so many times already this thread is stupid and the idea in general is, but...dangit. Yeah. I care. :p I've tried as hard as I can to accomplish getting on this list as a Sonic player, but it just doesn't happen.

I'm good. ...just not good enough. Hard for me to swallow, cause I'd say I have a lot of pride, but not arrogance. This kind of went off into a tangent and rant, but if there's any place to get this off my chest, it's in the thread where you strive to be noticed. Guess I'll just have to keep trying.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Kuraudo: Analyze the form of greatness. Reproduce it in its entirety. There is no room for mistakes.

If you want to be on the top 5 list, there are two roads to that goal:
1) Arguing your way on
2) Earning your way on

One is harder than the other. but is also much more satisfying.
Also, might I recommend a shift in goals?
Don't worry about making the list. Use that as motivation, but not as a goal.
Your goal should be to reproduce greatness. In other words, play perfectly. If you can do that, good things will come with it. Maybe a spot on the list?

Zinoto

Smash Lord
Wow WTP, the changes you made look pretty solid. Good job. Another possible change is v115 for the :zerosuitsamus:. He'll probably be in here tomorrow reposting his wins and making a case for himself. I also agree with the above :sonic: list.

:phone:

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Kuraudo: Analyze the form of greatness. Reproduce it in its entirety. There is no room for mistakes.

If you want to be on the top 5 list, there are two roads to that goal:
1) Arguing your way on
2) Earning your way on

One is harder than the other. but is also much more satisfying.
Also, might I recommend a shift in goals?
Don't worry about making the list. Use that as motivation, but not as a goal.
Your goal should be to reproduce greatness. In other words, play perfectly. If you can do that, good things will come with it. Maybe a spot on the list?
Pffft. We all know that option #1 ain't happening any time soon. The best things in life are better when fought for. And NOT with words.

This list is still like an afterthought to me in a way. It's the second thing I look at, the first one being my own accomplishments. When I took MikeHAZE to Game 3 in our money match at Genesis 2, I wasn't thinking "Top 5 Sonic here I come!" What went through my head was, "I had a lot of fun and took the fight to the best Marth in all of North America." Steps at a time towards greatness. When I succeed or fail though, at the end of the day, sue me I'm curious I'll check what's being said over on the Top 5 thread. XD

You're absolutely right though. As a player I should strive for greatness, not a list. A list is a perk. ...then again if that were the case, I wouldn't be just playing Sonic either. I'd be doing what Meekspeedy does and take advantage of the strengths of Meta Knight along with Sonic to produce his results.

--

Thinking about it, I have the drive and potential, but...in the end I've just never been able to win the "big one". Kind of like one of those people you hear about that's really good but gets snuffed out at the end because the other guy's that much better, and no matter your placing you'll be overlooked by the victor. It's how things are and there's nothing sad about that fact.

I'll see how it goes, but APEX 2013 may be my last chance to prove my worth. I can qualify for international brackets (Sunrise is my training ground, APEX will be the proving ground), I already know this. I just gotta do it again by this January.

What's The Point

Smash Master
Another thing is if some result spewing resource exists show me where it is. For instance, Zinoto posting now reminded me that he has a thread in the Diddy boards that has all of the Diddy's results. Obviously I'll be looking at that tomorrow.

Tesh

Smash Hero
This isn't 2010, Espy and __X__ should be judged on what they have done LATELY not ancient history.

I would find __X__ acceptable at #1 if his results (but we cant just make assumptions based on his ancient history can we?), but I am aware of Espy's results lately.

I think it should be
1. __X__ if expected results put him here
2. D1AOS/Tesh
3. Tesh//D1AOS
4. Meekspeedy
5. Espy

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
oh yeah, for gnw pwii should be bumped up to 2nd or 3rd after his performance at whobo. UTDzac doesn't even play anymore but I can't think of a 5th gnw that should be put on the list in his place so I'd leave him on

how did dark peach and llod get above slayerz on the peach list?? Where did that come from, lol...

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Tesh, I'm saying this out of respect for you as a player and everyone else, no offense intended, but,

What have you done that places you that much higher over Espy? You BOTH placed 25th at WHOBO 4. It's like you're forgetting he existed and looking at your position, going "I GOT 25TH AT A NATIONAL YES!"

You're good. Remarkably so. But are you above Espy yet? I don't think so. That being said my list was a loose display of the Top 5. Which is why you or Meek could be 3rd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom