• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Super Smash Bros. Roster Maker (Version 11.0 available)

Joseph Michel

Smash Rookie
Yeah, sorry. No video. I would if I knew how. But I don't, you see. My tutorial is for Paint.NET, because I'm utterly confused by GIMP and don't really have any need to buy Photoshop. It should be universal, no platform-specific things as far as I know.
I did much of what you said in your tutorial, but I'm having trouble with two things: the naming on the template and adding the image in it. How do I do that?
[collapse=Icon Tutorial]
So here's how I make icons.

After I decide to make an icon, I try to find a transparent image that's big enough to allow a 46x snippet of the desired portion. Transparency isn't a necessity, but it makes it way easier. If you can't find a decent transparent file, then you'll have to do the long and tedious process of converting the background.

Go to the full size version of the image you like best / specifically need.

Then simply save it in the folder of your choice.

. . . and then open it up in the image editor of your choice. Paint really doesn't work, because it doesn't support transparency and is quite featureless in general. I myself am rather simple-minded and prefer Paint.NET over GIMP/Photoshop/whatever.

Proceed to select the part of your image that you desire to be in the icon. It's usually easier to fix the selection ratio as 1:1, because it will eventually be resized to 46x46. Play with the selection until it feels right.

. . . and then you crop it, or you can even copy-paste if you don't want to mess with the original image. PDN shortcut for cropping is Ctrl+Shift+X.

. . . and then you're gonna wanna resize it. PDN shortcut for this action is Ctrl+R.

Next comes what is actually a bit of a tricky part, dependent on the situation. PDN does not include an outline function by default, and I'll face it, I'ven't a single clue how to make decent outlines without a tool. I use the one included in BoltBait's Plugin Pack.

(Long link: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/8318-boltbaits-plugin-pack-updated-december-12-2011/)

And if you've done that, you can go into Effects > Object > Outline Object. I typically set it to white, with strength and radius each at two. That's it. Useful plugin(s).

And after that? You go to to the 'utils' folder nestled within the Roster Maker. In there will be a 'TemplateBlue.png' and a 'Template.png'.

For the label on the icon, either make a new name, and center it, or copy from an existing icon if possible.

Open it up.

Go back to your other image, and copy it onto your clipboard. Open a new layer (Ctrl+Shift+N in PDN) on the template and paste. Center it, so it aligns correctly.

Merge the image layers down, so it saves in PNG format. PDN shortcut is Ctrl+M.

Save it (Ctrl+S, or Ctrl+Shift+S for Save As), and you've got an icon. Name it 'IconWhatever' and put it in the folder with the rest of the icons in the Roster Maker. If it's another icon for an existing character, just click 'add character icons'. Make sure you've named it IconMario. A (#) after it is fine, it lets the program know what it is. Otherwise, the character will be added with whatever name comes after the 'Icon'. However, it will have no character info put in. You don't have to fill that stuff out, but it helps with organization.

. . . and voilá! You've got an icon.

(November 16th, 2013) EDIT: It's far overdue, but I just noticed that I neglected to include the final result if anybody wanted the quick example icon for whatever reason.

[/collapse]

So there you have it. I recommend that if you make an icon that you think someone somewhere will need; put it somewhere accessible.

And there. It's not a big deal to make icons once you get into the feel of it.
Yeah, sorry. No video. I would if I knew how. But I don't, you see. My tutorial is for Paint.NET, because I'm utterly confused by GIMP and don't really have any need to buy Photoshop. It should be universal, no platform-specific things as far as I know.

[collapse=Icon Tutorial]
So here's how I make icons.

After I decide to make an icon, I try to find a transparent image that's big enough to allow a 46x snippet of the desired portion. Transparency isn't a necessity, but it makes it way easier. If you can't find a decent transparent file, then you'll have to do the long and tedious process of converting the background.

Go to the full size version of the image you like best / specifically need.

Then simply save it in the folder of your choice.

. . . and then open it up in the image editor of your choice. Paint really doesn't work, because it doesn't support transparency and is quite featureless in general. I myself am rather simple-minded and prefer Paint.NET over GIMP/Photoshop/whatever.

Proceed to select the part of your image that you desire to be in the icon. It's usually easier to fix the selection ratio as 1:1, because it will eventually be resized to 46x46. Play with the selection until it feels right.

. . . and then you crop it, or you can even copy-paste if you don't want to mess with the original image. PDN shortcut for cropping is Ctrl+Shift+X.

. . . and then you're gonna wanna resize it. PDN shortcut for this action is Ctrl+R.

Next comes what is actually a bit of a tricky part, dependent on the situation. PDN does not include an outline function by default, and I'll face it, I'ven't a single clue how to make decent outlines without a tool. I use the one included in BoltBait's Plugin Pack.

(Long link: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/8318-boltbaits-plugin-pack-updated-december-12-2011/)

And if you've done that, you can go into Effects > Object > Outline Object. I typically set it to white, with strength and radius each at two. That's it. Useful plugin(s).

And after that? You go to to the 'utils' folder nestled within the Roster Maker. In there will be a 'TemplateBlue.png' and a 'Template.png'.

For the label on the icon, either make a new name, and center it, or copy from an existing icon if possible.

Open it up.

Go back to your other image, and copy it onto your clipboard. Open a new layer (Ctrl+Shift+N in PDN) on the template and paste. Center it, so it aligns correctly.

Merge the image layers down, so it saves in PNG format. PDN shortcut is Ctrl+M.

Save it (Ctrl+S, or Ctrl+Shift+S for Save As), and you've got an icon. Name it 'IconWhatever' and put it in the folder with the rest of the icons in the Roster Maker. If it's another icon for an existing character, just click 'add character icons'. Make sure you've named it IconMario. A (#) after it is fine, it lets the program know what it is. Otherwise, the character will be added with whatever name comes after the 'Icon'. However, it will have no character info put in. You don't have to fill that stuff out, but it helps with organization.

. . . and voilá! You've got an icon.

(November 16th, 2013) EDIT: It's far overdue, but I just noticed that I neglected to include the final result if anybody wanted the quick example icon for whatever reason.

[/collapse]

So there you have it. I recommend that if you make an icon that you think someone somewhere will need; put it somewhere accessible.

And there. It's not a big deal to make icons once you get into the feel of it.

ImmaGenius37

Smash Rookie

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366

Fawfulcopter

Smash Apprentice
Could someone, if they are so inclined, do me a huge solid?
Using this image and Link's official SSB4 art, could somebody create an icon for "Adult + Child Links"? (Or whatever you can fit onto the image that expresses the concept of a single character that swaps between Adult Link and Child Link)

And furthermore, can it be done in the more neat, overlapping style of icons such as these(1, 2, 3, 4), rather than the weird sort of half'n'half of these(1, 2, 3, 4)?

That would be really neat. :)
Reposting for the new page.

Jakor

Smash Ace
I did a lot of work on the Roster Maker this weekend. I still have a lot to do though.

Ksn245

Smash Cadet
This is really cool, but I just want to know, why is Cinderella a character?

Maha Ishaq

Smash Cadet
As for the icons, there'll be about 600 new ones, and most of the old icons have been updated to have a blue background, thanks to all the hard work Gibdo Knight put in them.

Jakor

Smash Ace
This is really cool, but I just want to know, why is Cinderella a character?
There are a bunch of Disney characters in it. They are listed in the "Fourth Party" category.
As for the icons, there'll be about 600 new ones, and most of the old icons have been updated to have a blue background, thanks to all the hard work Gibdo Knight put in them.
How would you know the number of icons that I will add? Actually, there'll be a little less than 400 new icons in the next update. Also, all icons already have a blue background now.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
There are a bunch of Disney characters in it. They are listed in the "Fourth Party" category.

How would you know the number of icons that I will add? Actually, there'll be a little less than 400 new icons in the next update. Also, all icons already have a blue background now.
I think it's a bot. Its been posting random crap all over the site that usually has nothing to do with the discussion.

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
Okay, Icon Wizards! Anyone want to make an Ashley icon based off her newly revealed appearance in Smash?

SlippedRightIn

Smash Rookie
Bring up my previous requests again and since we got MORE renders for J-Stars, here's the others to add onto my previous requests.

RWBY:
Weiss Schnee
Blake Belladonna
Yang Xiao Long
The 3D models from the actual show. (Includes Ruby Rose on the far left)

J-Stars Victory Vs:
Jonathan Joestar
Joseph Joestar
Neuro Nogami
Koro-Sensei
Meisuke Nueno
Just wanted to ask if someone would make some icons for me (since I can't figure out how to put the names on them >->) It's a pretty tall order, but would be much appreciated if done.
Als, just to add those that I have requested. I deleted the ones already done.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I have a request.

So there is this Other M inspired ZS Samus figurine that is absolutely gorgeous and I was wondering if someone could make an icon from it as I have naught the time.

Sexy, right?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
If it isn't too much, can somebody make an icon for Venom and the Green Goblin? I wanted to do a Marvel Roster, and it wouldn't feel right without either of those two. I found some with white backgrounds. So I hope they are easy to implement.
DS_395_Venom-coloured.jpg
Unfortunately I can only upload one image at a time for some reason. But Venom was the first one I wanted to do.

andimidna

Smash Master
Can I have a Link/ W. Link + Midna icon? I hope both Midna and Wolf Link can fit in the picture, so maybe that should be smaller. I could always look for a different picture if needed. And then of course, the confirmed Link design. Will 'Link/W.Link+Midna' fit? If not... Link/Wolf+Midna, if not that... Link/Wolf Link, if not that... Link/ W. Link

Top Bottom