• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Super Smash Bros. Roster Maker (Version 11.0 available)

Jakor

Smash Ace
I added some details to the first post about the new "Create an icon" feature. Posting it here.

Some quick tips when you use that feature:
  • It works best when you use images with transparent backgrounds. (You can use something like Paint.NET to remove the background).
  • After selecting an image, you will get better results if you draw a perfect square on the image. The color of the drawn rectangle will change slightly when width and height are the exact same. You can also look at the two counters at the bottom left that display the current dimensions.
  • There are two text fields you must write in next:
    • The first field is used to display the name you want on the icon. I recommend writing it in all caps, unless the name you want doesn't fit in. Some letters like the "C" and the "E" use less space when written in lower case. (For advanced users, you can even take a look inside the "\utils\app_icons\letters\" folder to add or edit the characters used!)
    • The other field is used to enter the full character name. It's the one that will be used and saved in the software, and what you will see in the list of characters. To add a new icon to an already existing character, simply enter its exact name in that field and when you go to the next window, it will load the associated character info. (The name you enter in that field is also used for the file name it creates in the "\icons\" folder).

Jersey Jimmy

Smash Rookie
Icon maker's really easy to use, thanks for adding it! Now that I can actually make my own icons, this post'll be the beginning of Jimmy's Glorious Adventures in Iconing®.

Last edited:

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Done fixing my Archive for Non-pokemon Nintendo Icons Link
Will work on pokemon later.

Jakor Jakor This would be a Really big request but:
Could Character, Stage & item be a data field like Gender/Alignment/Status. I would like to be able to sort them by their series

Jakor

Smash Ace
Jakor Jakor This would be a Really big request but:
Could Character, Stage & item be a data field like Gender/Alignment/Status. I would like to be able to sort them by their series
This is actually one thing I've already thought about, and that I might do in the next version.

ecylisis

Smash Apprentice
New batch of icons to celebrate the new game. I'll also be updating my archive and removing any low quality/outdated icons. I've remade a few and replaced them already.

SmolGoat

Smash Rookie
It feels like it's been years since I first found this. Great to see it's still being worked on after all this time, and the icon maker is fantastic. The only problem I've come across is the same as the poster above.

Accented letters, for all instances, not just the "Pokémon Character" icon, are more accurate to the source, but an inconvenience when it comes to searching for a specific character or icon.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Jakor Jakor just wanna let you know personally speaking (and hopefully speaking for everyone else here) how much we all love your app and how much time and love you put into it.

It is really super fantastic and you should be proud of it! :)
Am I missing something or is there no "Pokemon Character" icon in the default file?
It's listed as "Pokémon."

It is in-between "F-Zero" and "Fire Emblem" towards the mid-top of the list. ;)

Last edited:

Jakor

Smash Ace
Jakor Jakor just wanna let you know personally speaking (and hopefully speaking for everyone else here) how much we all love your app and how much time and love you put into it.

It is really super fantastic and you should be proud of it! :)
Thanks for the appreciation! I'm certainly proud of the application and all the hard work I've put into making it. In hindsight, there are cetain things I would do a bit differently in the code itself, since some parts are quite messy and/or ugly. After all, I was still a student in computer science back when I made the first version, but now I have years of experience in programming. (Although I also now have less free time then I had at the time!)

I must say I've been pleasantly surprised that so many people have kept using it after all these years. I wasn't quite sure how the support was going to end up as, but I think it has proven and continues to be useful.

I already have a few things planned for the next version, though I haven't started it yet (taking a break for a while). I'm thinking of releasing it probably some time after E3.

BigZGaming2015

Smash Journeyman
Okay I finally figured out how imgur worked and was able to upload the icons I made. Here they are. I still have a lot more but I'll be uploading those later :)

Jakor

Smash Ace
How is popularity determined?
It's based on a few polls I can find here and there (although I haven't seen many big ones recently). I also look at what characters people discuss and seem to want the most in threads on this website as well as other places on the web. I do try to have the least bias as possible. There isn't only one particular metric.

FenixStar

Smash Apprentice
Jakor Jakor
So, I'm starting to add some of the icons from the previous Roster Maker into the new one, and some of the icons I'm adding as alternate versions aren't showing up. Is something going on with them?

Jakor

Smash Ace
Jakor Jakor
So, I'm starting to add some of the icons from the previous Roster Maker into the new one, and some of the icons I'm adding as alternate versions aren't showing up. Is something going on with them?
I'm not entirely sure, but were those additional icons you add for already existing characters like Link or Mario or someone else? If that's the case, I think by using the "update database" function (CTRL + SHIFT + =) you can fix them.

Super Fawful

Smash Cadet
NNID
dimentio64
When I go to make an icon using an image on my computer, the "Open" window will not display my images with thumbnails. Is there any way to get it to do this? Otherwise it would be very tedious to scroll through my (monstrous) Pictures folder only looking at a list of filenames.

Jakor

Smash Ace
When I go to make an icon using an image on my computer, the "Open" window will not display my images with thumbnails. Is there any way to get it to do this? Otherwise it would be very tedious to scroll through my (monstrous) Pictures folder only looking at a list of filenames.
I don't think you can change it for now, but I'll keep that in mind and see if I can find some way to change it. For the time being, I guess an idea could be to put the images you want to use in a separate folder.

Codec02

Smash Apprentice
is there a way to download previous versions of the roster maker? (so i can add past versions of icons to the current one)

Last edited:

Codec02

Smash Apprentice
is there a way to download previous versions of the roster maker? (so i can add past versions of icons to the current version of roster maker)

Jakor

Smash Ace
is there a way to download previous versions of the roster maker? (so i can add past versions of icons to the current version of roster maker)
I don't see how that's necessary as most icons have been kept with each new version, I've continuously added to it, removing very rarely and at times improving some icons (those in versions 1 and 2 for example, all had a white background).

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
V3.0 had white background icons, and can also confirm that there's barely any removed icons.
But there's a few:
  • Brawl Art Petey Piranha, with Purple background. (Brawl bosses used to have purple background)
  • Link using the pre-release art from A Link Between Worlds
  • Dorrie icon using spriteart
here's the Petey Icon remade With Blue Background.
IconPetey Piranha.png

FenixStar

Smash Apprentice
Been having WAY too much fun making icons now. :D I might show the icons I've made here shortly (one I upload 'em, that is). There ARE going to be spoilers for SSBU in the SSB series icons, so be warned if you look in there.

Edit:
Here are some of my icons.

Edit 2: A few of the icons aren't showing up, for some oddball reason, so you can find the full list of 'em here with a separate gallery for all the spirits (for those who are just looking for them) here. The Spirits gallery will be constantly updated until I get them all complete. Please keep in mind that this won't include any of the Fighter's Spirits, as we already have icons for them.
Jakor Jakor Can you add my icon archive to the list? I'll be making more and editing this post as well as I make 'em.

Last edited:
Top Bottom