• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The SSB Poll Lounge: DLC mode engaged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anonymous Smasher

Smash Rookie
Anyway, now I feel I should address my thoughts on the poll itself.

It's nice to see the characters I want in doing as well as they other than a few exceptions (Toad)...but personally, I'm not too happy about how Krystal is doing. I have nothing against her as character, but I feel Star Fox has been represented in the game enough as it is, and that she's wanted in for wrong reasons.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
RavenKing I talked to that dude, but he was a total ****, so I'm gonna just wait until another Japanese speaking person comes my way. I just need a few sentences properly translated.

It's nice to see the characters I want in doing as well as they other than a few exceptions (Toad)...but personally, I'm not too happy about how Krystal is doing. I have nothing against her as character, but I feel Star Fox has been represented in the game enough as it is, and that she's wanted in for wrong reasons.
I was going to go off on you, but I deleted it. She's wanted because people want to play as her in Smash. That's what my poll is about, and that's why she is so high.

Popularity is popularity.

And we got 30 more votes.

D

Deleted member

ロックマン - Rock Man

I think this is the proper Japanese name for Mega Man.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
ロックマン - Rock Man

I think this is the proper Japanese name for Mega Man.
"Rokku Man"

Yep, that sounds about right. I took Japanese a few years back, so I can help to verify Japanese names if you guys need that.

Unfortunately, while I can still read hiragana and katakana, I've forgotten what most words are, so all I'm good for is transliterating.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Stop. That.

It's not about "repping a franchise". When choosing characters look at the character themself, not what symbol they fall under. No franchise right now would be "overrepped" if they got one more character. Some could even use two and be fine. (Like KI, DK, Metroid, and F-Zero)
I somewhat agree. My disagreement to that is that the game shouldn't add characters that don't add anything new in terms of representation. Of coarse, this is entirely opinion based, and cannot be proven right or wrong. It's how I built my roster.

Anonymous Smasher

Smash Rookie
RavenKing I talked to that dude, but he was a total ****, so I'm gonna just wait until another Japanese speaking person comes my way. I just need a few sentences properly translated.

I was going to go off on you, but I deleted it. She's wanted because people want to play as her in Smash. That's what my poll is about, and that's why she is so high.

Popularity is popularity.

And we got 30 more votes.
Sorry about that, Should have kept that in mind while making my first post. My bad. :c

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
The most corrupt country ever, except most others.
Nothing points towards Lucario being removed really.
Except that Gen IV completely lacks any relevance at this point in time. But DLC Lucario is fine, if only out of popularity and already having been in Brawl.

Stop. That.

It's not about "repping a franchise". When choosing characters look at the character themself, not what symbol they fall under. No franchise right now would be "overrepped" if they got one more character. Some could even use two and be fine. (Like KI, DK, Metroid, and F-Zero)
So you may kill me for this... but I place much value on balance of franchises and the way they are represented.

Since the beginning of Smash, Mario and Pokémon have consistently had the most characters. In Melee, Zelda joined this group as well. If balancing and representing by franchise didn't matter, I don't believe this would be so. Mario, Zelda, and Pokémon are Nintendo's biggest franchises. They get the most characters in Smash.

Super Smash Bros. is a commemoration of all things Nintendo. It's roster should be an accurate depiction of how big each franchise in Nintendo's history is. And when it doesn't do that, people complain. People complained when Metroid didn't get a second character in Brawl because the franchise deserves it.

If a franchise is over or under-represented, I think the game loses something. I would consider it a bad thing if Star Fox got a fourth character, because that's basically telling gamers that Star Fox is Nintendo's fourth biggest franchise (and if the big three are left with four reps, equal to Mario, Zelda, and Pokémon), which is completely untrue. If the game does something like that (or if it gives Metroid less representation than Star Fox), then I feel that the game loses some of its love-letter-to-Nintendo quality.

The only two franchises to which I flatly oppose adding more characters are Star Fox and Mother. Even if Krystal has some qualifications, adding her would give too much importance and recognition to Star Fox.

That's just my viewpoint. If you look at my outdated roster on YouTube (I'd advise muting it though), my view is reflected clearly.

However, that's not to say I would try to fill up a franchise's reps solely to fill it. I would never, for example, advocate adding Adam Malkovich even if I think Metroid deserves three characters. Dark Samus has many impressive qualifications on its/her own.

I also value representing the roles of the franchise. Protagonist, sidekick, villain, etc.

I'm guessing that people's concern over this gets on your nerves, so I will ask you nicely not to flip out.

By the way, sorry about that guy's attitude. I thought maybe he would decline, but I had no idea he'd be such a douche about it. :(

Unfortunately, I don't know of any other Japanese-speakers. Maybe I'll go look for another one.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Could it not be said that the first generation has no relevance at this point too though? If going by "new and exciting" standards?

Mewtwo, in my eyes, takes the spot as the 6th gen rep, based off of his new form. Lucario, who has maintained it's popularity, should still be included because it is still relevant to the series, not just the generation he came from.

Pretty much the same here with the Pokemon Trainer. If Sakurai was going for relevancy, don't you think he wouldn't have had a 4th gen Pokemon Trainer?

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Could it not be said that the first generation has no relevance at this point too though? If going by "new and exciting" standards?

Mewtwo, in my eyes, takes the spot as the 6th gen rep, based off of his new form. Lucario, who has maintained it's popularity, should still be included because it is still relevant to the series, not just the generation he came from.

Pretty much the same here with the Pokemon Trainer. If Sakurai was going for relevancy, don't you think he wouldn't have had a 4th gen Pokemon Trainer?
Being the first of something is relevant enough. Marth was the first lord in Fire Emblem. Olimar was the first captain in Pikmin. Red as the Pokemon Trainer was the first protagonist in Pokemon. Beyond that, Red is also the only protagonist to show up in every generation, being playing in the 1st and 3rd, and appears as a boss in the 2nd, 4th, and 5th. That criteria should make him notable enough and relevant to the series.

I want to know exactly what you mean by that. He's in advertisement, but he's not relevant to the games beyond being the occasional trainer's choice. The only reasons he has more appearances than Zoroark is on part of fitting onto more themed teams (being two types) and having existed for four years longer than Zoroark. Beyond that, they're speedy Pokemon with high offenses that serve as the mascots of their generations and the stars of their own movies. Equals. Both are only relevant to their generation. Since Lucario isn't first nor is he the newest, he's no longer relevant.

I'm not against Lucario returning, but he's definitely low enough priority to where he should only be considered after the rest of the Pokemon characters are chosen, even if it means being a DLC character in the end.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
He shows up in most if not all of the advertisements. This would mean that he is important enough, or iconic enough for Nintendo and Game Freak to use him in advertisements.

Isn't Smash just one big advertisement?

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
I think it's more of a celebration than it is an advertisement. If it was advertisement, we would see a lot more 3rd party characters and a lot more minor eShop characters who need the promotion.

By the same criteria if advertising = notability, we could see Jirachi as a playable character if they started to use it a lot in commercials. We know it's not notable otherwise, though. That's just not wise character selection if we go by who the public sees the most.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Relevance..... *sighs* Most people don't actually know what relevance even means. Lucario is still incredibly relevant. He has a large fanbase and is constantly being promoted by TPC.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Relevance..... *sighs* Most people don't actually know what relevance even means. Lucario is still incredibly relevant. He has a large fanbase and is constantly being promoted by TPC.
Being irrelevant just means that whoever is using the term doesn't know who the character is or doesn't like them.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Being irrelevant just means that whoever is using the term doesn't know who the character is or doesn't like them.
Or they understand that the character doesn't currently matter to the series. Relevancy is the factor of how important a character is to a series. If it's hard to have a character not appear in a game without something feeling missing, that probably means they're relevant. It's subjective, but it's something that should be minded nonetheless. Would you add one character from one game of a series if they haven't made an appearance since then? This is the kind of thing that keeps just any 'ol shmuck from being playable.

Seriously, I'm not against Lucario being playable, I just don't see why he should have the same priority as Pikachu, Jigglypuff, or Pokemon Trainer when he's not a crucial member of the Smash Bros. series or the Pokemon series.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
So, you don't know what relevancy is.

Okay, stay on poll topic guys.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I know I'm probably going to cause a **** storm or big arguments by saying this but here goes.

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing a few characters go (not pointing any fingers to any characters cause its subjective and it will only bait more arguments) if it means we will get to see more new faces in their stead. I'm not hating on them or anything don't get the wrong idea. But I kinda feel that the series would get stale pretty quickly if we keep seeing the same faces over again with very little changes and/or additions to the roster. I don't know about you, but I would hate it if future smash games had rosters were 90% of the cast were the same faces we have already seen before again and again.

Plus this will give people a reason to go back and play Brawl and Melee again so they can have fun with some of the previous characters in the series. If all of the Brawl cast is in smash 4 then Brawl will be forgotten relatively quickly since most people have little to no reason then to go back and replay that game. (Of course the competitive players wouldn't care either way but still) That's one of the reasons why smash 64 is a little forgotten about as both Melee and Brawl overshadow it, and a big part of that is due to the characters that smash 64 had who are also in the other games. (Yes you could argue that most people could go back and play the games for the stages, target smash and all, but lets not kid ourselves. Most play the games for the characters.)

Just because there is a new smash bros in the horizon doesn't mean the previous games will be removed from existence. The characters who didn't quite make it are still there for you to enjoy.

I know I'm likely going to spawn a big argument for saying this as well as a **** storm and I'm not in the mood of getting into huge debates over this but... just my two cents... :/ Again, I'm not pointing any fingers to any characters. All I'm saying is that I personally would lose my interest in the series quickly if we kept getting the same faces all the time and potential new faces having to miss out in being in the games just because everyone is afraid they might threaten their old favourites from getting in. It would just get boring.

But I guess this probably won't hold much merit unless we know what Sakurai's limits are in terms of the roster and how many characters each series is allowed to have by his criteria.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Shortie, argue why a character like Twinrova or Gooey should be a character if I don't know what relevancy is. If you can honestly tell me how they're currently "relevant" to their series in the way I can't, I'll shut up about "relevancy" entirely.

Are the poll results getting any closer to 1000? I've sent the poll to a few of my online friends, so that should knock that last 30 down a little more.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Well.... To be honest, (I shouldn't be saying this, but here goes), I do think we should move on. 64 to Melee, Melee to Brawl, Brawl to Smash 4. Personally, I stopped playing Melee soon after I understood how to make Brawl hacks work. (Project M and Balanced Brawl allow for a quick change of pace whenever I feel like it.)

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Shortie, argue why a character like Twinrova or Gooey should be a character if I don't know what relevancy is. If you can honestly tell me how they're currently "relevant" to their series in the way I can't, I'll shut up about "relevancy" entirely.

Yeah, they aren't relevant, but Lucario definitely is.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Or they understand that the character doesn't currently matter to the series. Relevancy is the factor of how important a character is to a series. If it's hard to have a character not appear in a game without something feeling missing, that probably means they're relevant. It's subjective, but it's something that should be minded nonetheless. Would you add one character from one game of a series if they haven't made an appearance since then? This is the kind of thing that keeps just any 'ol shmuck from being playable.

Seriously, I'm not against Lucario being playable, I just don't see why he should have the same priority as Pikachu, Jigglypuff, or Pokemon Trainer when he's not a crucial member of the Smash Bros. series or the Pokemon series.
I am invested very little in Pokemon representation, so I'm going to touch on "relevance" in general, though it can pertain to the series. You're correct in that random one-offs (Gooey, Wart, Link's Uncle, etc.) aren't viable for Smash, partially because they're, well, one-offs and haven't had a chance to develop their importance with additional appearances. But that's almost never why "relevance" is brought up as a talking point. Users who dislike or are unfamiliar with a character (to quote shinpichu) handle "relevance" as a badge of honor with an expiration date; a character who appears at all in a recent game is a safe pick, whereas anyone who misses so much as a single game sees their chances plummet. And this 'safe pick' status is only good until the user decides this recent appearance isn't recent enough, that they now must appear again and again to keep renewing "relevance." Inherently flawed and selective to the core.

I compared "relevance" to moveset potential as a fan-created argument before, and feel the comparison stands; a character having a vast movepool may help, but a lack of one definitely doesn't hurt a character's chances...I'm sure I don't have to list all the newcomers and veterans who have had entire movesets made from scratch. Same goes for all the characters who appeared in Melee and Brawl despite being "irrelevant."

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Fair enough. You're the only one to have actually make a valid point of how the subjectiveness of relevancy harms it, so your opinion on this is at least understandable.

I suppose it mainly comes down to the fact that readding Lucario is controversial and that neither base of Lucario is necessarily totally correct. Anyone in support of DLC characters can agree that he'd be fair enough as a part of DLC if he doesn't make the initial cut, so at least there's no conflict with that. All I'm saying is that I find it unlikely that he'll return in the main cast. Only time will tell us for sure what his fate is with Smash. Same goes for that guy from that series we're not supposed to talk about. You know the one.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Shortie! What are the current results?

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
So you may kill me for this... but I place much value on balance of franchises and the way they are represented.

Since the beginning of Smash, Mario and Pokémon have consistently had the most characters. In Melee, Zelda joined this group as well. If balancing and representing by franchise didn't matter, I don't believe this would be so. Mario, Zelda, and Pokémon are Nintendo's biggest franchises. They get the most characters in Smash.

Super Smash Bros. is a commemoration of all things Nintendo. It's roster should be an accurate depiction of how big each franchise in Nintendo's history is. And when it doesn't do that, people complain. People complained when Metroid didn't get a second character in Brawl because the franchise deserves it.

If a franchise is over or under-represented, I think the game loses something. I would consider it a bad thing if Star Fox got a fourth character, because that's basically telling gamers that Star Fox is Nintendo's fourth biggest franchise (and if the big three are left with four reps, equal to Mario, Zelda, and Pokémon), which is completely untrue. If the game does something like that (or if it gives Metroid less representation than Star Fox), then I feel that the game loses some of its love-letter-to-Nintendo quality.

The only two franchises to which I flatly oppose adding more characters are Star Fox and Mother. Even if Krystal has some qualifications, adding her would give too much importance and recognition to Star Fox.
I disagree with pretty much everything you just said.

Bigger franchises just equal more characters to have oppurtonites to get in.

When you get every iconic character in a franchise in, all that's left are side characters who are hardly relevant, or important. Who might never have another important role in a game.
A series that is always changing the villain or coming up with new characters (Fire Emblem anyone :troll:), the minor characters don't seem nearly as important. So smaller franchises get to establish characters, they aren't going to disappear and be irrelevant from the series (the kooaplings how long were they gone?).

Characters like Krystal, Claus ect are more important and will be received better than a goomba.
Who would just be added in for a number count.

Kinda in a rush at the moment, so this could be more elaborate.

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
Characters like Krystal, Claus ect are more important and will be received better than a goomba.
Who would just be added in for a number count.

Kinda in a rush at the moment, so this could be more elaborate.
You didn't read the whole post. I said...

However, that's not to say I would try to fill up a franchise's reps solely to fill it. I would never, for example, advocate adding Adam Malkovich even if I think Metroid deserves four characters. Dark Samus has many impressive qualifications on its/her own.
I understand you were in a rush, but if you are in a rush, then just wait to reply to me until you aren't.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Except that Gen IV completely lacks any relevance at this point in time. But DLC Lucario is fine, if only out of popularity and already having been in Brawl.
I think people are forgetting how much popularity Lucario even had before Smash. Though really, I'm sick of Fire Emblem and Pokemon. It's the same stale stuff.

...Not by much. And many other crossover's break this rule all the time.

It's quite the vice versa. They'll ***** and moan that the series doesn't need that many characters, but once it happens, they shut up.

Just going to touch on StarFox but it's like what? Overrepping? Overrepping is adding characters when unneeded. (I touched on this in a section of Probable Character Roster). Adding say, Krystal, is NOT in any way overrepresenting. And so what? Not all fans will say that for a start. They'll look and go "Oh cool Four Star Fox characters" or something on the line

"I support everything else asides from two even though I said earlier I support none!" Yeah no, and even then it's not a big deal. Cry me a bridge. I've said before how adding new flavor of characters we don't get to play as often in their perspective series is actually a damned good thing instead of "LOL XD TOAD, BECAUSE, WE HAVEN'T PLAYED AS HIM A BILLION AND THEN SOME MORE TIMES IN NSMB". A lot of the series could be considered completed but could have one more character. The ONLY one that people can't even touch a point on why it needs another is Kirby. I guess there's the flavor of the week stuff with Pokemon and Fire Emblem but that's it.

However, that's not to say I would try to fill up a franchise's reps solely to fill it. I would never, for example, advocate adding Adam Malkovich even if I think Metroid deserves three characters. Dark Samus has many impressive qualifications on its/her own.
Okay, that's fair. Then again some series were just meant to have less characters even if they not only sell more but do a bunch more. Krystal is a much more worthy addition than Waddle Dee/Bandanna Dee. It's not necessarily either franchises fault. Star Fox just has more interesting reoccuring characters to take from while Kirby doesn't. Same with Mother over Metroid. It goes on.

I also value representing the roles of the franchise. Protagonist, sidekick, villain, etc.
Depends on the franchise by FAR.

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
...Not by much. And many other crossover's break this rule all the time.
A) But they still have the most characters. Even if it's only by one or two, it's still clear that Mario/Zelda/Pokémon are bigger. B) I couldn't possibly care less about what other crossovers do. We're talking about Super Smash Bros.

It's quite the vice versa. They'll ***** and moan that the series doesn't need that many characters, but once it happens, they shut up.
I would hope so, as the game is already finished and released so excessive complaining is pointless.

Just going to touch on StarFox but it's like what? Overrepping? Overrepping is adding characters when unneeded. (I touched on this in a section of Probable Character Roster). Adding say, Krystal, is NOT in any way overrepresenting. And so what? Not all fans will say that for a start. They'll look and go "Oh cool Four Star Fox characters" or something on the line
I consider over-representing to be adding characters to a franchise that is too small for that many characters and has done nothing to warrant that many.

And besides, I would not be opposed to Krystal as DLC. Star Fox shouldn't have a fourth character in the initial lineup, but dedicated fans can purchase the optional Krystal. I don't find this scenario very likely, but it's my opinion. (So quit getting so angry over it.)

"I support everything else asides from two even though I said earlier I support none!" Yeah no, and even then it's not a big deal. Cry me a bridge. I've said before how adding new flavor of characters we don't get to play as often in their perspective series is actually a damned good thing instead of "LOL XD TOAD, BECAUSE, WE HAVEN'T PLAYED AS HIM A BILLION AND THEN SOME MORE TIMES IN NSMB". A lot of the series could be considered completed but could have one more character. The ONLY one that people can't even touch a point on why it needs another is Kirby. I guess there's the flavor of the week stuff with Pokemon and Fire Emblem but that's it.
I'm thinking I should just ignore this part seeing as you stuffed a lot of words into my mouth. But I guess I'll respond. Nowhere did I say anything like "I support none", and Toad has nothing to do with this.

I'm aware that some series can be considered completed but could still have another rep, the best example being Mario. That's a case where it could go either way - add a new character or leave it as it is - and be perfectly fine.

Depends on the franchise by FAR.
I'm well aware, but it's my fault for not being more specific. Pokémon and Fire Emblem don't follow that, lol.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I don't see how Mother has any more characters worthy for a playable slot. Two out of three games to that series never left Japan and series is over.

Krystal is also no more important than Waddle Dee. Return to Dream Land was both commercially and critically well-received. You could say that Krystal had more prominent roles in than Bandana Dee has had so far (3 vs. 1), however, Krystal's last game appearance was 2006 and all three of her game appearances (and the character herself) have a very mixed reception, while Bandana Dee's was 2011 and was left with a very positive reception to both the character and the game.

I think Bandana Dee stands right now where Bowser Jr. was during pre-Brawl. I think people will gradually warm up to the character over time as he continues to have prominent roles in Kirby games that are critically and commercially successful. It probably won't happen for Smash 4, but I would not be surprised if Bandana Dee was among the Top 10 most wanted characters for Smash 5.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
A) But they still have the most characters. Even if it's only by one or two, it's still clear that Mario/Zelda/Pokémon are bigger. B) I couldn't possibly care less about what other crossovers do. We're talking about Super Smash Bros.
Once again, not by much.

And how do we know that Smash Bros religiously follows this rule? I'm serious here. There's been no signs of it, especially in the past two games. Other crossovers aren't nearly as different as a case from Smash Bros as you think. Hell, other crossovers have even more effort. The only thing you can pin Smash Bros on being oh so different in character selections is the fact that the Animators and Programmers can comment on a character before putting them in. There's really nothing else.

I would hope so, as the game is already finished and released so excessive complaining is pointless.
That's what happens all the time. "OH MOTHER GOT TWO REPS AND STARFOX GOT THREE AND BLAH" and then people shut up. It happens every Smash game, every Marvel vs Capcom, every crossover. All the bloody time. Just watch; we'll laugh together when it's over.

I consider over-representing to be adding characters to a franchise that is too small for that many characters and has done nothing to warrant that many.
You know I'll just quote this:
-The Overpopulation Rule/Completed Series Rule: This is both a pro and a con. I would like to thank ToiseOfChoice for this one from the first Smash 4 thread. (He can explain this far better than I ever can) While some characters would be able to complete their series, they also may not be included due to bringing the roster up from other series. Also, lesser series are possible to not have more characters than a bigger series.
Which basically says "I agree". I agree with you mostly except "It hasn't done enough to warrant it" - At this point we're not onto many super important characters left. It's not like we're playing a game of "Oh they need to sell this much to deserve another character in Smash Bros!" It's more "Hey this looks cool maybe this'll help the franchise"

And besides, I would not be opposed to Krystal as DLC. Star Fox shouldn't have a fourth character in the initial lineup, but dedicated fans can purchase the optional Krystal. I don't find this scenario very likely, but it's my opinion. (So quit getting so angry over it.)
I'm not really angry over Mother/Star Fox specifically. I like Krystal and Masked Man and all but even I don't think they hold the biggest shot or much of a shot in the first place. I like your idea there, so how about we just roll with that? DLC's better than nada. There's not much else to be said.

Also angry? You haven't seen my posting style. I'm usually like this now; cynical, cold hard logic, and some other stuff combined.

I'm thinking I should just ignore this part seeing as you stuffed a lot of words into my mouth. But I guess I'll respond. Nowhere did I say anything like "I support none", and Toad has nothing to do with this.
I'll admit I shoved a few words into there but I'm more-or-less giving my example. I'm really just saying that it's not much of a big deal on "Balance" as much as you think there is and that if certain series can have one more character, then why not? Flatly opposing them is kind-of like having the most narrow minded view. There's characters even I don't like that much and I would still be okay with.

Until you find some magical proof that this "Balance" actually matters that much (I'll agree there's some extent but), especially compared to other Crossovers, there's nothing. Unless you can quote Sakurai or someone else, there's nothing. Especially since there's so many other figures you have to counter asides from looking at sales charts or how big a series is. How long do you count the series relevancy? Are they relevant? Would people want to play as said character? Could the series benefit from having said character? Is this person's game only in Japan? Is there a way to get onto said game easier? Will programmer's and artists not have two weeks of bickering at each other trying to find out how Ridley floats? Many many questions and then some more.

My example of Toad is just what I usually use when we're talking characters because Smash Bros is a huge chance to give certain characters more highlight.

I'm aware that some series can be considered completed but could still have another rep, the best example being Mario. That's a case where it could go either way - add a new character or leave it as it is - and be perfectly fine.
I'll just comment more on this as a general statement to the thread. To be frank that applies to a lot of the series right now, and more than people want to believe. Last time around there was Star Fox, Mother, and Kirby that warranted. Now it's all chopping block. Also to add to this, very few have two, and those are less than what people think, surprisingly. I guess unless people want to throw around the "SERIES IS BIG" stuff, which does make Metroid and DK the next contenders. (Which I partially believe in but not as much as people throw it around)

I'm well aware, but it's my fault for not being more specific. Pokémon and Fire Emblem don't follow that, lol.
Bingo right on target. The franchise is what's important, which is why it's even harder to go religiously by the overpopulation/completed series rule, so the best that's can is done. Actually, to be frank, asides from maybe Star Fox, Mario, and Zelda, very few series follow the suite you mention and probably wouldn't even with a newcomer. What's probably the most hilarious thing is people read this in my style and I actually agree with you on most of your points, just not 100%

I don't see how Mother has any more characters worthy for a playable slot. Two out of three games to that series never left Japan and series is over.
It's not about Mother or Star Fox; it's about how important all this series stuff actually matters. I'm not even going to say Krystal or MM hold a high chance because even I know that's pulling words out of my own ass.

Also for Krystal just read my post somewhere in the SF thread on here. Unless you're mentioning her appearances specifically, I pretty much went onto say "The only SF game that actually gets bashed is Command, asides from those crazy fans that hate all SF games; even 64"

I think Bandana Dee stands right now where Bowser Jr. was during pre-Brawl. I think people will gradually warm up to the character over time as he continues to have prominent roles in Kirby games that are critically and commercially successful. It probably won't happen for Smash 4, but I would not be surprised if Bandana Dee was among the Top 10 most wanted characters for Smash 5.
Possibly, if he stays relevant that is. You have to remember, Bowser Jr. got more and more relevant as time passed on. His first GAME was Sunshine, which he was practically most of the plot. He's continued on to most of the 2D AND 3D Mario games with roles. Meanwhile, Bandana Dee's most recent relevancy is Kirby's Return to Dreamland. "HI IM 4TH PLAYER SLOT" and beyond that and Kirby 64 he's never had much asides from being a generic enemy.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Get out if your not talking poll results.

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
Get out if your not talking poll results.
I like that all of the top ten make sense!

(Going of off your posts that show results by tier, not just this poll itself - Mewtwo, Megaman, Ridley, K. Rool, Roy, Palutena, Bowser Jr, Krystal, Isaac, and Little Mac.)

Later today, I'll try to get some more of the YouTube specs to vote on this. That little push might just get this poll to the big 1k!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom