• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The SSB Poll Lounge: DLC mode engaged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
With the Roy-Chrom conversation. I think it would be best if we got Roy as our unique, middleweight, popular, returning character and have Robin to represent the different types of weapons and to represent the new FE game

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
With the Roy-Chrom conversation. I think it would be best if we got Roy as our unique, middleweight, popular, returning character and have Robin to represent the different types of weapons and to represent the new FE game

But Roy won't be "unique" in all llikelyhood. IF he is included. He'll be Falco unique at best, or Toon Link unique at worst.

D

Deleted member

But Roy won't be "unique" in all llikelyhood. IF he is included. He'll be Falco unique at best, or Toon Link unique at worst.
Roy will probably be a semi-clone if he returns, but I don't think he'll be Toon Link unique at worst. Given the trajectory of "clones" (Brawl "clones" were noticeably more unique than the Melee "clones", even Toon Link is more unique from Link than Young Link was in Melee), I expect our "clones" to be closer to what we see in Luigi/Wolf/Lucas in Brawl. I'd say that at worst, Roy will be Falco (Brawl) unique and at best, Wolf unique.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Hey Shortie, I found Muddy Mole's Japanese name if you want to put him on it.

モグラ〜ニャ

EDIT: Not sure why it's highlighted.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Thing is. Most of us either don't mind Chrom or like him.

A good chunk of us just think Chrom should not be in smash or that Roy (Mostly)/Anna/Lucina//Robin/ Lyn should get priority.

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
The most corrupt country ever, except most others.
Okay, so here's my new Fire Emblem section in my upcoming roster: Marth, Roy, and Chrom.

ChronoBound convinced me to add Roy. In Japan alone, FE6 was one of the best-selling games. The Elibe arc was the first international game, the most popular arc in the franchise, and FE6 is the main game of that saga. Roy himself is ridiculously popular (assuming that he's more so than Ike) and can have a very unique moveset based on series skills and flaming sword abilities. I remember seeing a particularly awesome moveset on the thread simply titled "Roy." He also looks different from Marth and Chrom, which helps a bit with the diversity.

Chrom is added due to being the main protagonist of the most successful single game in the franchise. (In Western audiences, it has the highest aggregate score on GameRankings and got the same Famitsu score as FE6.) Awakening is also the most recent game. Despite looking similar to Marth, the moveset potential is there and Falchion has a different design. He can have many of Ike's old moves and his focus on power (Chrom is bery muscular and has a similar build) since Ike is cut. Roy can be the medium between speed and power, but with flaming sword abilities to keep it interesting.

I cut Ike because part of his purpose in Brawl was to represent international FE titles and the most recent games. Compared to FE6 and 13, his games are the least successful. While he's the most recurring FE character in the West, I think he has the least qualifications between him, Roy, and Chrom.

That's not what I think is likely, but a suggestion and what is, in my opinion, the best that a Fire Emblem section can be. I'd like to get feedback and more opinions on this. I don't think I'll change it, but I'd like the feedback anyway.

Dark Phazon said:
*sees the discussion is still about FE*
*Leaves, Again*
It's one of the trickiest series in Smash to represent, if not the trickiest. You can't blame us for discussing it thoroughly.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
I doubt Roy would come back if Ike is cut. That would seem to imply he was brought back purely for a variance in his moveset. If we're going to add character for variance there are better options.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Despite being a Roy supporter, I don't support Ike being cut for Roy. Ike is still more popular than Roy.

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
Considering how many troll votes such a poll would get, no, there are none.
Crap.

I would prefer to have an FE section with Marth, Roy, Ike, and Chrom (and even then people would complain about "no non-sword users"), but it's just not big enough of a series to warrant 4 reps. It deserves a fourth rep even less than Star Fox does. (And considering that SF hasn't had a new game since before Brawl and is already covered representation-wise, that is saying something.)

You can't please everyone, and that will never be truer than for Fire Emblem in Super Smash Bros. 4. :(

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Marth, Ike, Roy and possibly Chrom is the prefered FE roster around here.

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
Good thing this isn't a popularity contest.

And if it was. Ike>Roy
To an extent, it is. This is a game that they're trying to sell, so it should have characters that people want to play as the most.

And since there's no data accounting for how many people would throw a fit if Ike is gone, and Ike's popularity is mostly limited to NA, I'm going to have to believe that on the worldwide scale, Roy is the more popular of the two. And the Elibe arc is more important and popular than the Tellius arc.

...I feel really bad for Sakurai. He has to make the decisions on this.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
and Ike's popularity is mostly limited to NA, I'm going to have to believe that on the worldwide scale, Roy is the more popular of the two. .
Now this is simply not true.

Ike's popular all around the world.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Once you throw in the possibility of people not knowing who they want most until they play them, popularity becomes less reliable.

As a developer, Sakurai is going to do whatever he thinks will make the best game and that's that.

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
Now this is simply not true.

Ike's popular all around the world.
Didn't the requests for his inclusion in Brawl mostly come from outside of Japan?

I don't have any sources accounting for Ike's popularity. Roy is overwhelmingly demanded everywhere. Awakening is the most recent and successful entry. Chrom can be the power-focused character and borrow many of Ike's old moves.

I can't predict what the FE section will look like, but in my opinion, it would be best to cut Ike, add Chrom, and return Roy.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Didn't the requests for his inclusion in Brawl mostly come from outside of Japan?
Nah. He got quite a bit of Japanese support as well.

Tons of fan letters.

I think Marth, Roy, Ike and Chrom would be ideal.

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
Once you throw in the possibility of people not knowing who they want most until they play them, popularity becomes less reliable.

As a developer, Sakurai is going to do whatever he thinks will make the best game and that's that.
That's a good point (if Waluigi gets in, his fans will be disappointed to find out how awful his moveset potential really is), but even then, I'd still favor Marth, Roy, and Chrom. Roy has a lot of moveset potential and Chrom can easily take many of Ike's old moves, making him ideal for Ike's fans from Brawl to play as.

Keep in mind, this is my suggestion and not my prediction.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Oh I honestly don't know what they would do with the Fire Emblem section and I'm slowly losing my interest in it. The only Fire Emblem character's that would actually properly excite me are Anna and Lyn. But seeing how their chances are probably pretty small, I guess I'll just take whatever Sakurai gives us. >_>

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
Oh I honestly don't know what they would do with the Fire Emblem section and I'm slowly losing my interest in it. The only Fire Emblem character that would actually properly excite me is Anna. But seeing how her chances are probably non-existent I guess I'll just take whatever Sakurai gives us. >_>
I would honestly hate to see Anna get in. I like her as a character in Awakening, but even if she fights in one game, she's a shopkeeper and has never had an important role in the story. If she's not just a shopkeeper, she's a random person in your army. Just my 2 cents. It's cool if you want her in though. Who knows, maybe I'd like her play style.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
In the end, it's just an opinion. Anna also has her DLC roles which she plays quite a big part in it so far I know but meh. I don't really feel like arguing about this though. Like I said, Anna has a small chance but she would definitely excite me more than any other Fire Emblem character (besides Lyn).

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
Just out of curiosity, is there any Fire Emblem character do you not want?
I'm not a big fan of the idea of adding Anna, and I don't like Lyn either. I mostly dislike Lyn because she's so wildly overrated as a character. I can't figure out what makes her so popular since she's so generic and she doesn't have much personality. And I hate almost all characters in Sacred Stones. I wouldn't mind Ephraim, but I want Eirika to stay out.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'm not a big fan of the idea of adding Anna, and I don't like Lyn either. I mostly dislike Lyn because she's so wildly overrated as a character. I can't figure out what makes her so popular since she's so generic and she doesn't have much personality.
Heart = Broken. :urg:

Nah, jokes. But I do like Lyn. :)

Anonymous Smasher

Smash Rookie
I'm not a big fan of the idea of adding Anna, and I don't like Lyn either. I mostly dislike Lyn because she's so wildly overrated as a character. I can't figure out what makes her so popular since she's so generic and she doesn't have much personality. And I hate almost all characters in Sacred Stones. I wouldn't mind Ephraim, but I want Eirika to stay out.
I always felt people liked Lyn based off her appearance. I now have evidence to back that up now, too...

Anyway, I can't really add much because I don't know much about Fire Emblem...Oh, well.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
What about her do you like? (I'd really like to know what others see in her that I don't.)
Katanas. :shades:
I like her style of swordplay. :)

Also FE7 was my first Fire Emblem game and the only one I've cared to complete 100%, so I have a soft spot for characters from that game.

You might check the Lyn thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/329084/

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
Katanas. :shades:
I like her style of swordplay. :)

Also FE7 was my first Fire Emblem game and the only one I've cared to complete 100%, so I have a soft spot for characters from that game.

You might check the Lyn thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/329084/
I'll give you that she has some awesome critical animations. I like to yell "CUT-CUT-CUT YOU!" when she criticals in her base class.

My first FE was Path of Radiance. And what do you know, my favorite character in the entire series is from that game. Half of my ten favorite characters come from the Tellius saga.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
It's one of the trickiest series in Smash to represent, if not the trickiest. You can't blame us for discussing it thoroughly.
But it's only tricky because you guys make it that way. Really, Roy, Luncina, Chrom or even Lyn would all be gret choices. That's it.

Considering how demanded he is both in Japan and overseas, I'm finding that a little bit hard to swallow. Is there a poll anywhere that accounts for possible cuts?
On this poll, Ike definitely has more votes than Roy. Also, I don't think Roy has more votes than any veterans besides Toon Link and Lucario.
Marth, Ike, Roy and possibly Chrom is the prefered FE roster around here.
That's so boring. Would rather see Lyn than Roy or Chrom.
Hey Shortie, I found Muddy Mole's Japanese name if you want to put him on it.

モグラ〜ニャ

EDIT: Not sure why it's highlighted.
Added. I'll add anyone who gives me the Japanese translation for their character.

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
But it's only tricky because you guys make it that way. Really, Roy, Luncina, Chrom or even Lyn would all be gret choices. That's it.
What's tricky about it is how both Roy and Chrom are highly qualified to be added, and they should. But that's too many Fire Emblem characters, so it's either cut one or add Roy or Chrom, but not both. The thing that sucks about it is that no matter what happens, a sizable portion of the fans are going to throw a fit.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
What I have for FE is Marth, Ike, Roy, and Robin. If it were to get 3, I really don't know.
Also glad to see you're a supporter of Roy now. Chrono also had me support Roy too. When you're in the Smash community for how long he's been in, I guess it's easy to know about alot of things.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
While I would love to see Roy get back in Smash, I highly doubt it's going to happen. If he gets in, it would be because of his popularity and almost nothing else. Of the most common choices for Fire Emblem out there (including Micaiah, Chrom, Lyn, and Roy), Roy is the least relevant (unless DLC in Awakening counts, which puts pretty much every character worth mentioning on the same page), so I chose to keep him out of my roster. My Fire Emblem section remains at Marth, Chrom, and Micaiah.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
FE7 was only released one year later than FE6, and Melee sold extremely well all throughout the GameCube's life, so I would find it difficult to argue Roy is less relevant than Lyn. Micaiah's game is also now over six years old, which is hardly relevant. Besides "relevancy" does not matter for Smash Bros. Look at Marth. Sigurd, Celice, and Leaf were all more recent than Marth when Melee was in development, yet Sakurai went with Marth because he was by far the favorite choice for a FE character among the fanbase.

As for Ike being dropped, personally, I don't think he should be.

I think that there is a decent chance that Sakurai could leave FE with Marth, Roy, Ike, and some sort of unorthodox character choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom