• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I understand why people love Shauntae. I myself am a fan. And I'll also admit she is a more than decently likely choice for the ballot.

All that, however, does not EVEN compare to Snake. Shauntae has had 4 games within the span of 25 years. She's always had a niche fanbase which is minuscule compared to Snake's overwhelming popularity.

In short, Shauntae's fan base is a very loud, very small, minority. Snake's? Am extremely quiet, overwhelmingly large, majority.

If the Ballot only depended on popularity Snake will be the first. I, however, believe that he and Wolf are coming earlier. Pre-ballot.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Yeah no offense to her fans. The guy who said those quotes in HBB's post was a salty shantae fan.
I don't even get why he was salty. She got second place.

Those haters are not the majority. It is evident that there many people want snake in. They probably don't speak up due to him not being viewed likely or something.

Don't worry if some Nintendo fanboy rambles about snake not deserving the spot. They're a minority. Somewhat loud and annoying, but a minority.

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
They're really keeping us waiting with this ballot.
Kept us waiting
Kept you waiting, huh?
Snake confirmed

Last edited:

Fire Rider

Super Smash Gladiator
Meaning that the true winner of Etika's poll is none other than the Half-Genie Hero, Shantae."
If Sakurai visit Wayfoward now Shantae is "practically confirmed", same with Shovel's amiibo one month before

But...
EDIT:
Snake was in Brawl in the first place is because of KOJIMA
/EDIT
Kojima and Sakurai are FRIENDS. Do you really think that Sakurai would reward Konami by letting their character return to Smash?
I really don't undertand them, if they, Wayfoward or Yatchclub, are asking for Shantae and Shovel is good; but if Kojima (and Konami) ask for Snake in Melee and Brawl is bad, Kojima is begging for Snake, and he'll never comeback to Smash.

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
If Sakurai visit Wayfoward now Shantae is "practically confirmed", same with Shovel's amiibo one month before

But...
EDIT: /EDIT

I really don't undertand them, if they, Wayfoward or Yatchclub, are asking for Shantae and Shovel is good; but if Kojima (and Konami) ask for Snake in Melee and Brawl is bad, Kojima is begging for Snake, and he'll never comeback to Smash.
Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous how everything somehow works against Snake but identical situations are positive for other characters. Obviously biased mentality some fans have.

Also, the whole "Sakurai visits Wayforward" means nothing since he had visited Platinum as well, and yet we see no Wonder Red or Bayonetta. People need to realize that not every aspect of Sakurai's life revolves around Smash Bros. Heck, the man could go to Disneyland for vacation and people would scream "Mickey/Sora Confirmed!"

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Sorry about the goof in my previous post, the spoiler tags got all messed up for some reason so that first sentence almost made it look like i was saying that and not quoting it haha.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
Yeah it's kind of funny how many votes Snake pulls given how relatively quiet his supporters are. Until recently most discussion about him on other forums seemed to be people taking a dump on him, in direct contrast to how popular polls show him to be. If they don't add Snake they really must address why they didn't and they better have a good reason. Can't say I wouldn't enjoy some of the angry reactions from some people if he does come back.
I absolutely love it. Anytime I have just mentioned my support for Snake it got an angry reaction. i basically shut up about him.

They can shut us up, but it only makes us stronger.

Spatman

Smash Ace
let's talk frankly: the only guest star who truly should deserve a slot in SSB4 is Snake (and Rayman, of course, but he is too few eastern)
not Shantae, and not, lol, Shovel Knight.
Sakurai knows it. The only problem is: the rights for the character in this moment of hard relationship between Kojima and Konami

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario

But...
EDIT: /EDIT

If that picture means shantae is getting in smash, the that selfie he posted is really pushing the boundaries of the NDA.

Spatman

Smash Ace
If that picture means shantae is getting in smash, the that selfie he posted is really pushing the boundaries of the NDA.
I think he exploited an innocent selfie to push a "little" more his character. It's legitimate, but not much correct...

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
Think of it this way, guys. Those people who support such small icons, they're scared--they cower in fear that their beloved character won't be included. But this is why the Snake supporters are quiet--because we're stealthy and we know Snake has a good chance. We don't need to dump on everyone else because most of the time, their character isn't happening. So for now, just tell them what they want to hear and pat them on the heads--humor them. Wow that was dark--Snake for DLC!

Last edited:

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice
Heh, I like the way you guys think.
The reason people talk so hard against Snake is because they're terrified he'll make a return.
And we're quiet, because we simply know he just might be on the way.

But oh no, I'm not going to be quiet when he comes back, I'm going to have a big "I TOLD YOU SO" in my sig.

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
I can't believe that after all of those "Chico rumors", Snake fans were revealed to be Quiet all along!

Last edited:

Gimmick

Smash Ace
I honestly don't understand why so many people want all these indie characters in Smash. I personally don't think they deserve it. I didn't even know who Gunvolt, Shantae, or Shovel Knight were before the ballot. I swear half the people that want these characters are just bandwagoning, and probably haven't played a game featuring any of these characters. I mean seriously. If any of them make into smash, then there's no reason not to add every indie character ocean. Popularity isn't the only thing that should count.

At best, I see a majority of these characters become trophies or mii outfits. If there going to add third-party characters, then they need to have a certain criteria. Not just flavor of the month. I'd rather see more iconic and notable characters such as Rayman, Snake, Sub-Zero, Simon Belmont, etc... All of which are extremely iconic and are from games that have left a mark of the video game world. Not, "His game is super good, it's on Nintendo, and he has a copy and paste move set."

Troykv

Smash Master
I actually know the Popular-in-Smash Indies for other reasons:

Shovel Knight: Ocassional conversation
Shantae: I don't sure in which of them:
  • When I know about Mighty No. 9, I search other games with KickStarter, and saw
  • When I was checking the 3DS eShop and see Shantae.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Yeah I've heard of shovel knight due to him being all over the place on nintendo sites.

Seen shantae on the eshop but never really payed much attention to her until the ballot started.

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
I played a tiny bit of Shovel Knight on my bro's 3DS, and i've actually known about Shantae for years.

I was browsing a pawn shop one day, when I came across a copy of Shantae for GBC. I never heard of it before, so I looked it up, and it turned out to be this super-rare GBC game! I was going to pick it up, but it was gone when I next returned to the shop...

On the topic of indies: When it comes to indies in Smash, it wouldn't matter to me if one of them got revealed from the Smash Ballot. I would personally prefer other characters (subtle hint:snake:), but there are still tons of people who would be very happy to see their character get represented in Smash. Lots of people think we're nuts for wanting Snake to return to Smash, and many people think that people voting for indies are crazy, so our fanbases can somewhat relate in that way.

The only thing that bothers me about any type of character support is bandwagoning. To be honest, I don't know if this even happens very often, but I don't like the idea that some people blindly voted for characters because they were the popular choices.

If back when the ballot was running, all of a sudden there were a million Snake supporters who came out of nowhere to vote Snake because a famous dude tells them to, as much as it could potentially help Snake's chances, it would just feel fake. I'm not saying that Snake is free of this, no character is, but I just hope that most people voted for who they personally wanted, and not just the popular choices.

Last edited:

RC-3197

Smash Apprentice
If this hasn't already posted I will be really surprised.
(It's still relevant though...)

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I became familiar with Shantae from a little article of her game and WayForward from the Official Nintendo Magazine when it was still running. (It was the December issue from 2009-10, I think), and that's where Shantae was mentioned. There's also the small cameo she made in WarioWare D.I.Y when Matt Bozon contributed to a minigame that one could download. Eventually I decided to start playing her games with just The Pirate's Curse so far, but I might play the other games in the series too at one point. As for Shovel Knight - it was passing mentions on Miiverse and people thinking that he'd be a pretty cool character in Smash. (Just throwing my coins into the topic of indies I learned about. Regardless, Shantae'd be my pick for an indie, but let's bring back Snake first. I wouldn't mind even if Shantae made it next time. For now, Snake's the priority)

But back to Snake and Metal Gear - Metal Gear Online - is it worth it? What is the overall basic notion of it; add-on, downloadable mode for missions in the world of Metal Gear Solid?

Last edited:

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
Quote is the only indie I'd really want, but that opinion is very scarce amongst the sea of shantae knight.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I'd rather see more iconic and notable characters such as Rayman, Snake, Sub-Zero, Simon Belmont, etc... All of which are extremely iconic and are from games that have left a mark of the video game world.
I'm pretty certain that is exactly Sakurai's stance on guest characters, according to the article posted on Source Gaming. This is one of the key reasons why I really doubt those Shovel Knight rumors, since the character/series is still making a name for itself and hasn't left its mark on gaming history yet.

To me, most of the support for indie characters appears to be from people jumping on the flavor of the month. After all, look how quickly support for Shovel Knight dropped after the first month, and only regained traction after people started falling for some rumor on Twitter. Also, the smaller companies more openly express their interest in having their character in the game than those of larger companies, which their fans use as a reason to vote for said character.

As for Snake, I haven't really encountered anyone who was really negative toward him. Many who misunderstand the Konami situation and doubt his chances, but fortunately nobody who outright said he shouldn't be in. I think alot of the hate toward Snake comes from people who are afraid if he gets in, their character like Bomberman or Rayman will get passed by. It never said that the ballot choices couldn't entirely be Third Party, or at the very least, limited to one Third Party character, so Snake can coexist with the likes of Shantae, Bomberman, Shovel Knight, Tails, Bayonetta, Rayman, ect.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Smash has always had it's bandwagon characters.
Geno in the Brawl days.
Chrom and Chorus Kids because "muh Gematsu!"
Rayman with Omni's thing.
Shantae with the ballot and "See you In Smash!"
Banjo because Phil Spencer said he wouldn't object to having Banjo in Smash.
Shovel Knight with the ballot, the amiibo and Tama's rumour.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
Banjo hasn't really been bandwagon'd unfortunately but considering his roots and him being planned for 64 but never made the cut, he'd make more sense than the majority of those others listed.

Last edited:

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
Smash has always had it's bandwagon characters.
Geno in the Brawl days.
Chrom and Chorus Kids because "muh Gematsu!"
Rayman with Omni's thing.
Shantae with the ballot and "See you In Smash!"
Banjo because Phil Spencer said he wouldn't object to having Banjo in Smash.
Shovel Knight with the ballot, the amiibo and Tama's rumour.
And Ridley (Did they get rid of the option to cross out text? Because that would have made more sense with this)

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
There are genuine anti-Snake people who are glad he's gone and hope he never comes back. I've seen that attitude on this forum. Usually from "he doesn't fit" types.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
And Ridley (Did they get rid of the option to cross out text? Because that would have made more sense with this)
Ridley's more that his supporters can't be vocal without getting vitriol in response. It's underground support because of the Smash fan base being as bad as the console fanboys that incite console wars.

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
There are genuine anti-Snake people who are glad he's gone and hope he never comes back. I've seen that attitude on this forum. Usually from "he doesn't fit" types.
Ever since the whole "Konami situation" started, i've been seeing a lot less "he doesn't fit in" and more "Nintendo won't collaborate with Konami because Konami are poopheads".

I feel like many of the people who don't want Snake back don't want him back because they don't want a character strongly associated with Sony infiltrating a Nintendo cross-over game. If Snake was a Nintendo character/almost exclusively associated with Nintendo, I doubt many would be complaining about him being too "realistic".

To be honest, if Snake was never in Brawl, we most likely wouldn't be here. But he was in Brawl, so many of the boundaries that held Snake back have already been broken for almost a decade. So I feel like Snake should be treated like a veteran and a possible DLC character despite some of the issues.

Last edited:

Zane13pyro

Smash Journeyman
Hello as someone who is a big metal gear fan <3 i would love if snake came back lol but I also want Isaac from golden sun and Geno from mario rpg

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Hey, guys. I'm coming from the Rayman support thread.
I just want to wish you guys the best of luck over the next few months. I hope Snake gets in as DLC!
That said, I don't think these indie companies know what they're asking for. Seriously. Their characters? In Smash? Please.
The way I see it, Rayman and Snake are the last essential third parties that should be added. Unlike these indie characters, both Rayman and Snake are famous, being the faces of some of most well known gaming companies. Plus, one of them is a veteran, while the other already has three trophies.
Sakurai isn't going to fall for the Shantae and Shovel Knight bandwagoning. Trust me. If anything, Sakurai will be looking at other options, namely Snake and Rayman.
May we soon meet each other on the battlefield.

Last edited:
3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
"Ew shovel knight, ew shantae, lol pathetic Snake is way better fitting"

I don't really support Shovel Knight and Shantae either, because they're overhyped, I'd much like snake to join but can we all just be nice?

Last edited:

Fire Rider

Super Smash Gladiator
Smash Bros without Snake it's like
The Expendables without Chuck Norris :(
(Good fan-art/meme) :b:
image.jpg

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
The salt here is real.

I don't really support Shovel Knight and Shantae either, because they're overhyped, I'd much like snake to join but god damn can y'all stop being so salty?
I don't know if I would call it salt, but yeah, the character bashing has to stop. We're here to support Snake, not to put other popular characters down to make him look better.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
can y'all stop being so salty?
When has asking this question ever led to people not being salty?

Real talk though, people can voice opinions without it being salty. This thread is probably one of the better ones when it comes to that. I can read reasonable DLC opinions here without seeing much direct attacking. Less "**** x, they're dumb," more "I'm not really a fan of x," which is a perfectly fine thing to say.

Your post also stoked the flames much less before your edit.

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
The complete and utter destruction of all that is not Snake is the one true path for all Smash brothers.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104

I don't really support Shovel Knight and Shantae either, because they're overhyped, I'd much like snake to join but can we all just be nice?
Gee, I'm sorry for voicing my dislikes.
At least I'm not a complete troll, you know.
I was just wishing you guys luck and giving you a boost in confidence. What's wrong with doing that?

Top Bottom