• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Less likely than not, but not too bad. I'd say it's mostly a matter of:

-Is Sakurai willing to negotiate with Konami again without Kojima involved?
-How cooperative will Konami be?
-How much does Sakurai want to bring back veterans over newcomers?
-Does Sakurai feel that Snake was a one time thing or someone that should stay?
-Does Snake clash too much with the art style?
-How much does the ESRB factor into all of this?

I'd put it at 30-40% odds, myself. If we're getting any more third parties, it's Snake or nobody to me.
- This is a complete mystery. Afterall Sakurai put Snake in on Kojima's behalf not Konami's
- From what can be seen on Twitter at least, Konami doesn't necessarily mind Snake returning to Smash.
- Again, hard to tell but considering how many of the DLC characters were veterans I'd say its likely.
- Once more, hard to tell. But Sakurai never commented about not liking Snake.
- Now this is completely subjective but you have cartoony characters like Mario, Realistic looking characters like Samus, Furries, and 2D characters like Game and Watch. Smash has always had characters with clashing art styles but have always found a way to cartoonize/realistic-ized its cast.
- There were other things in Brawl that warranted the T rating and from what I can tell nothing in Snake's moveset besides his pummel should warrant a new rating, and besides Wario punches people in the crotch but that's fair game.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Less likely than not, but not too bad. I'd say it's mostly a matter of:

-Is Sakurai willing to negotiate with Konami again without Kojima involved?
-How cooperative will Konami be?
-How much does Sakurai want to bring back veterans over newcomers?
-Does Sakurai feel that Snake was a one time thing or someone that should stay?
-Does Snake clash too much with the art style?
-How much does the ESRB factor into all of this?

I'd put it at 30-40% odds, myself. If we're getting any more third parties, it's Snake or nobody to me.
-I don't see why Sakurai would refuse to negotiate with Konami if Snake is very requested and Kojima himself still wants him in Smash.
-I'm not sure, but they have supported who voted for Snake on the Ballot, and considering that Konami and Nintendo had already done a Snake-Smash collaboration, it would be easier to do than other 3rd party (especially if Nintendo is still printing Brawl copies).
-I'm somehow sure that Sakurai personally prefers veterans over newcomers. Easier to do, less work, less stress, high love from fans, and he also stated that he hates to cut characters. Besides, 3 out of 4 DLC are veterans right now, so I really can't see Sakurai precluding Snake because he is a veteran.
-Maybe he could have fealt that he was a one time thing during Brawl, but remeber that :jigglypuff64: & :ness64: were as well, and they are still in there. But besides all, considering his hate for cutting characters, I would say that nobody was never intended as a one time thing (and I think :4feroy:'s return almost proves it).
-Looking at :4zss: I would say not. They could make Snake more similar the her lookinh wise.
-I don't think ERSB is that big problem (there isn't any indication that Snake had influenced Brawl's rating. Heck, Sakurai himself stated that he worked a lot for make his moveset kid-friendly but still being iconic for Metal Gear) . But if it really is, they could just change the violentest moves (mostly the grabs, which now can be varied thanks to the new CQC of PW/MGSV).

Regauding music, my favourites are:
-Calling to the Night (hearing it at the end of Classic mode for the first made me feal something that I've never exprerienced in gaming before...and I was a child who didn't know a word in English, but it still passed me fealings).
-Encounter (argably the most iconic theme of the series)
-Theme of Tara (Brawl remix is wonderful)
-Snake Eater
-The best as yet to come (When I heard it for the first time afyer beating MGS I was almost going to cry)
-Theme of Love-Brawl (I like its sound)
-The Final Boss (Cap 5) battle theme (I love its anime like sound and style)
-MGS 2 main theme
-Here is to you GZ (even if it wasn't made for MGS/by Konami, I love how they have arranged it).

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I find it hard to believe that Shantae, Krystal or Isaac would ever get more demand than Snake. If this poll were more well known to the general public, instead of some small community, we all know he'd surpass them.

Last edited:

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
I know it might not be a problem, but would certain moves have alterations to them to keep the game E10? We already know Sakurai made Snake have these weapons because they were explosives and not actual weapons. However, I have a strange feeling certain moves might need a change.

For starters, the C4. If it's to much, then they can change it to the easter egg the C4 does in Brawl (If you don't know, it occasionally takes the form of a butterfly). Really simple way to keep it while also making it more friendly. The only other change I can see is his grab. Instead of what looks like he's chocking them, he can instead knee them in their back. I do like the idea @ Nonno Umby Nonno Umby mentioned with CQC's.

While I don't think these can be a problem for Snake, I wouldn't be surprised if a few changes were made to him. Still hope he plays mostly the same, since his moveset was amazing!

StormC

Smash Hero
I definitely see Snake's chokes being a problem since they're realistic strangles that can be done on children characters. Would be a shame to lose 'em, though.

StormC

Smash Hero
Snake's performance on that poll isn't much of an outlier for me; he's maybe a spot or two lower than usual. Technically he is fifth as Wolf and Isaac are tied.

Shantae shooting up that much is the shocking part to me; she usually hovers around the 7-10 area at best. Krystal too.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I find it hard to believe that Shantae, Krystal or Isaac would ever get more demand than Snake.
To be fair, all the hype is about newcomers right now.

Shantae shooting up that much is the shocking part to me; she usually hovers around the 7-10 area at best.
Well, there has been some Shantae promotion from WayForward and their dumb false hype Tweet and the recent Smashified, so it could make people want the character more.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
To be fair, all the hype is about newcomers right now.

Well, there has been some Shantae promotion from WayForward and their dumb false hype Tweet and the recent Smashified, so it could make people want the character more.
I don't think characters like shantae shoupd get in. Third party characters have some sort of legacy and are important to gaming. I don't see how shantae is important to gaming.

But oh well, if she gets in, good for her fans.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
The only indie character I'd really want in is Quote for being the first real BIG indie character. Shantae is more deserving than Shovel Knight at least though. Shovel Knight had one game like a year ago. Not exactly a 3rd party legend. If any of them did get in, I wouldn't be mad though. Unless they got in and Snake didn't. Then I'd be hypermad.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
At the very least, Ryu has a huge legacy to justify his inclusion.

I fail to see how indies could take higher priority over Snake or even Rayman in terms of third parties.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
The only indie character I'd really want in is Quote for being the first real BIG indie character. Shantae is more deserving than Shovel Knight at least though. Shovel Knight had one game like a year ago. Not exactly a 3rd party legend. If any of them did get in, I wouldn't be mad though. Unless they got in and Snake didn't. Then I'd be hypermad.
You're not wrong but I feel like I need to make a point.
Shovel Knight does have one game that came out a year ago. However, it is also a one game that is getting updates so large it might as well be getting another game.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I know it might not be a problem, but would certain moves have alterations to them to keep the game E10? We already know Sakurai made Snake have these weapons because they were explosives and not actual weapons. However, I have a strange feeling certain moves might need a change.

For starters, the C4. If it's to much, then they can change it to the easter egg the C4 does in Brawl (If you don't know, it occasionally takes the form of a butterfly). Really simple way to keep it while also making it more friendly. The only other change I can see is his grab. Instead of what looks like he's chocking them, he can instead knee them in their back. I do like the idea @ Nonno Umby Nonno Umby mentioned with CQC's.

While I don't think these can be a problem for Snake, I wouldn't be surprised if a few changes were made to him. Still hope he plays mostly the same, since his moveset was amazing!
If I'm not mistaken the ESRB rates DLC separately from the main game. They could just bring him over like how he was in Brawl but his DLC only would be rated T. And I guess maybe if you don't have his DLC, he wouldn't show up in online matches vs. anyone? Same would theoretically apply to a DLC character that gets an M rating for that particular DLC

Just a thought.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Well I'd be damned if anyone other than Snake and Wolf gets in. I don't see how indie characters like Shantae should take higher priority than those two especially with WayForward getting everyone to vote for her, which I didn't.

StormC

Smash Hero
Well I'd be damned if anyone other than Snake and Wolf gets in.
What about other newcomers?

If I'm not mistaken the ESRB rates DLC separately from the main game. They could just bring him over like how he was in Brawl but his DLC only would be rated T. And I guess maybe if you don't have his DLC, he wouldn't show up in online matches vs. anyone? Same would theoretically apply to a DLC character that gets an M rating for that particular DLC

Just a thought.
I've posted on this before: http://www.esrb.org/ratings/ratings_process.jsp

Downloadable content (DLC) that will be appended to a previously-rated product need only be submitted to ESRB for rating if its content exceeds that which is in the existing "core" product. Otherwise, the rating assigned to the core product is applicable to the DLC as well. Where, however, DLC content exceeds the rating assigned to the core product, it must be submitted to ESRB and a different rating may be assigned to the DLC.
So if the DLC is deemed to be above the ESRB rating, it has to be rerated.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
So some minor changes will have to be made if he is a danger to the rating. I do like that knee to back idea that was brought up.

StormC

Smash Hero
I think grenades and choking are probably the biggest things. Like someone else said, to a lot of people, a soldier that throws grenades is a very real, scary thing. And realistic choking and strangling on characters like Ness and Toon Link would probably not be easy to go over. But I couldn't say for sure, especially with different regions having different ratings for the games.

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
I think grenades and choking are probably the biggest things. Like someone else said, to a lot of people, a soldier that throws grenades is a very real, scary thing. And realistic choking and strangling on characters like Ness and Toon Link would probably not be easy to go over. But I couldn't say for sure, especially with different regions having different ratings for the games.
That is true; However, Shiek also has grenades for her side special, so the most I can see is a change to the design of the gernade. One other interesting tidbit, is something that would be removed on Snake (This was the best image I could find where you can see it clearly).

It looks like Snake has a pistol next to his leg. Considering how Sakurai doesn't want realistic firearms in the game, this would be removed. He doesn't use it, so it looks like it wouldn't be a problem. Though...

It seems Captain Falcon also has something similar. I know this shouldn't be an issue, but it's something I thought would be worth bringing up.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Grenades would have to be presented in away that seems comical and safe for the esrb. We don't know how the ESRB felt about grenades in brawl. The game does have plenty of explosives and even sheik has her own grenade, so snake's grenade could be viewed the same as one of them. But if they do view it as a problem they could redesign it.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
I think you're forgetting the most grievous offense

Dat booty

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I've seen a couple of things brought up that I'd like to address.

I'm completely positive that any negotiations to get Snake in Smash would NEVER be scrapped simply because he's "too realistic". You're going to try to pull that one and then have me choose :4myfriends::4ryu::4shulk::4zss::4sheik::4falcon:?

Having his pistol on the side of his leg would likely not have any affect on the rating, especially if Captain Falcon still has his.

I honestly think that Snake didn't come back because negotiations just kinda...fell off at one point. One side may have wanted something way different than the other.

Or, the initial deal (because of hesitation from Nintendo with Brawl) made it a one time deal. Which would be stupid in the first place, but what do I know?

EDIT: Indie characters that score high on fan polls doesn't change the fact that they're 3rd parties that have to compete with Big Players. If 3rd parties are added on their own merits as characters, then how can indie's compete with characters like Sonic? Mega Man? Snake?

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
At least it will end on one hell of a high note with Phantom Pain.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Well, that's certainly troubling news. Ground Zeroes does look like to be one hell of a great game.

StormC

Smash Hero
I feel really bad for Akio Ohtsuka. His father passed away recently and his most famous and beloved acting role is retired.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I feel really bad for Akio Ohtsuka. His father passed away recently and his most famous and beloved acting role is retired.
Doesn't have to be retired just yet..

Sakurai you know what to do..

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Damn I get mixed up between Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain for some reason.

Anyways, wish Sakurai could still put Snake back in regardless.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
I've been watching over this thread for quite awhile now and all you guys have been talking about is Music. Didn't we already cover this like a looong time ago? Anyway what's new with Snake, Kojima and Konami? It's pretty rough this could kindly effect Snake just a little bit. Snake and Wolf (excluding :squirtle:, :ivysaur:because i really don't think there as important characters in Sakurai's eyes when it comes to Brawl Veterans. There good characters don't get me wrong and i would be splendid if Squritle returned.) are the only two from Brawl that haven't returned (i think) It's just two characters!!! Sakurai really hasn't said anything about Snake has he? He's hasn't open his mouth when it comes down to him. Let's just cross our fingers that he makes it as last second DLC or Sakurai gives us a REASON on why he hasn't returned

Why i'm on my PC tonight i'm going to go throw in some votes for Snake and Bayonetta (yes i really REALLY want her to be in the game too)

Top Bottom