• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I already have that! I thought that was his company's twitter page. Is that his personal?
Yes, that is his personal page. In Japan it's usual to formal present yourself first with the name of the company where you work.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I was trying to minimize my kills in twin snakes, but I accidentally Kicked this one guy down into lava. Damn it.

TimidKitsune129

Falling into Infinity
NNID
TimidKitsune129
I've ended up listening to "Calling to the Night" and "Encounter" over and over again, lately.

It's made me realize how much I miss Snake and Shadow Moses. The music is awesome~

I also remembered that I've had Sons of Liberty and Snake Eater for a few years now, but never played them. I was planning on getting The Twin Snakes first so I could play them in order but I eventually forgot. Whoops~ >w<;;

But yeah, I'd be thrilled to have him back~ :3

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
Quick question, did Sony own the rights of Snake and Metal Gear Solid back when SSB4 was starting to be planned?
MGS is Konami, not Sony. Kojima likes to push the limits of hardware, which often, Sony tends to put out the best of first. That's why MGS1 never hit N64. The audio was too much for a cartridge. Or why MGS4 was only on PS3, since no other console used the blu-rays needed for all dat data. MGS games came to non-Sony consoles once they came up to speed, like HD Collection on 360, or were updated to account for newer hardware, like Twin Snakes and Snake Eater 3D. This gen is pretty much the first time everything's been more or less equal, which is why MGS5 is multiplat from the get-go. MGS isn't Sony's, Playstation just happens to often be where it goes first.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I feel like the only reason people think Sony owns it (at least on Smashboards) is because "Snake's too Sony".

**** those people, I say.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
By the way guys, although I consider myself a strong support of Sami, it's not as a replacement of Snake.
I feel like I should mention that because it's a popular suggestion. I've already made a completely unique moveset for her.
And Snake should come first.

Sewnic

Smash Cadet
I know I'm five hundred years late to this, but when it comes to Metal Gear music, it's truly hard to choose one song over another. With much hesitation over what to include without listing the entire catalog, here are several of my favorite tracks from the series:

-Calling to the Night It's poignant yet epic. The spectrum is why I'm head over heels with this one, and fighting to it in Brawl gave it a whole new layer of majesty.
-Battle in the Base Like a James Bond/1960's variant of MGS1's "Encounter". Groovy.
-Theme of Love With context, I see this as Solid Snake's unofficial theme. You can hear the melancholy drowning him and the intermittent strides of resurrection from his successful missions gracing him.
-Can't Say Goodbye to Yesterday The classiest track in the Metal Gear series. It all just sounds so pleasant and therapeutic after my mind was torn apart by Kojima's complex story.

Also, I had a dream that Snake was confirmed in Smash 4... sort of. In it, someone on the internet posted a video of a glitched out Kirby on Battlefield, where Snake's face texture was completely stretched out all around the pink marshmallow. Data-miners later confirmed that Snake did have files in Smash 4 after a patch was released, with a familiar voice clip that played "kept you waiting, huh?"

Last edited:

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
By the way guys, although I consider myself a strong support of Sami, it's not as a replacement of Snake.
I feel like I should mention that because it's a popular suggestion. I've already made a completely unique moveset for her.
And Snake should come first.
Thank you, I have seen a lot of Sami supporters say, "just day give her Snakes moveset" I want to hit myself when I hear that. It would be like if Ganondorf was a clone of Captain Falcon in melee, without Captain Falcon.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Regarding the music in the series, based on what I know about them from Brawl, my favorite tunes would have to be "MGS4 Theme", "Yell Dead Cell", "Battle in the Base" (especially this one) and "Calling to the Night".

Damn, the more I think about this, the more I wish Snake was in Sm4sh already.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Since we're back to the music, I guess I'll share my favorites too.

ALERT - Metal Gear (NES Version)
I love Konami chiptunes and this one just kicks major tail.

Red Alert - Metal Gear (MSX Version)
Although I'm less familiar with the MSX version of the game, this song is pretty awesome too.

MGS 4 Love Theme (Brawl Version) - Super Smash Bros Brawl
This is the song I will always associate with the Shadow Moses Island stage.

MGS 1 Encounter - Super Smash Bros Brawl
My second favorite theme for Shadow Moses. If the stage were to appear on 3DS, I'd like the love theme to be the "default" song and this to be its alternative.

Main Theme - Metal Gear Solid 2
I don't care if this song was directly copied from another, it's still amazing. It's too bad it can't be included in the series anymore.

Yell "Dead Cell" - Metal Gear Solid 2
Another exciting song. I'm glad this was also on Shadow Moses. This would be great to have as a Smash Run theme too.

Snake Eater (Instrumental) - Metal Gear Solid 3
It's a nice Bond-esq song and currently the theme of my 3DS menu. Plus, it's the theme of my first, and favorite, Metal Gear game.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Calling To The Night I think takes the cake for me. The MGS4 Remix was amazing, but Calling To The Night is just too freakin epic. One of the best tracks in Brawl for sure.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
Love Theme is honestly one of my least favorite songs in the franchise. It and cavern were the only 2 songs I didn't have the sliders on max for. I'm not too sure why, really. It just doesn't spark my interest like the higher energy tracks, and doesn't hit me in the feels like stuff like Calling to the Night.

Troykv

Smash Master
Well looks like Snake doesn't have a solid (the puns xD I need do that xD) chance to return...

I mean... I'm new here! And Snake is a really awesome Fighter in Brawl :3

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Is it cheating to put this as one of my favorites?

I don't usually like vocal tracks, but Calling to the Night and Snake Eater are definitely favorites. Love Theme (Brawl version) is probably my favorite single song not counting the original MGS theme that's been lost to time. That one was the best ever.

StormC

Smash Hero
So where does everyone believe Snake stands in regards to chances with the Smash Ballot?
Less likely than not, but not too bad. I'd say it's mostly a matter of:

-Is Sakurai willing to negotiate with Konami again without Kojima involved?
-How cooperative will Konami be?
-How much does Sakurai want to bring back veterans over newcomers?
-Does Sakurai feel that Snake was a one time thing or someone that should stay?
-Does Snake clash too much with the art style?
-How much does the ESRB factor into all of this?

I'd put it at 30-40% odds, myself. If we're getting any more third parties, it's Snake or nobody to me.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
So where does everyone believe Snake stands in regards to chances with the Smash Ballot?
I think he's doing very well in the ballot. As far we've seen, many sample polls ended up having him in the top 5.
However the ballot, itself is only one factor in his inclusion. We also have other factors like Konami and Nintendo.
But I think if we are getting another 3rd party character, it would be snake.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I don't think that Snake clashes with 3DS/U's art style that much when we have rather detailed humans in the cast. Shulk is the prime example.

If anything, just rework Snake to this game's art style and that issue solves itself.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I'd say 50/50. Whether or not he fits into 3DS and Wii U's cartoonish art style as LIQUID mentioned, I don't see any reason why they should leave him out, though it's really all up to Konami to decide.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Consider the following:

Kojima wanted Snake in Melee.

Given that Sakurai told Kojima that it was too late, Snake was saved for Brawl.

Melee is VERY cartoony.

Let's think of an alternate universe where Snake made it to Melee. He would have had been cartooned big time. If Sakurai were willing to do that in the event Kojima approached him earlier, then there should be nothing stopping him from reworking Snake to this game's art style.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I think the photo in the OP works well with the current art style:

Top Bottom