• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Pretty much every discussion about Snake has been beaten to death.

His presence in the game isn't going to suddenly bump the rating.

We just have to wait and hope he surprises us alongside the two other bandana wearing blokes.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I find it baffling that an MGS game of all things was rated E.

Though really, unlike, say, The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion, Snake's inclusion would not be so radical(imo) to warrant a rating change. Oblivion's rating was changed(T--->M)due to some hacking that discovered that females could be topless. It was patched and changed to M.

Snake isn't doing any of the T or M rated behaviors in Smash, really: he's not smoking, he's not cursing, and he's not shooting actual real guns, just explosives.

That's ignoring that DLC isn't rated by the ESRB, anyway.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Snake's inclusion in the game as a DLC fighter ain't gonna change the ESRB rating. Even if they did brought him back in the first place, it still wouldn't change...at least, that's what I believe.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think the thing that kept Snake out is amiibos. Amiibos are supposed to have functionality between tons of games, and even the 3rd party ones of Sanic, Megaman, and Pacman have uses. Maybe they figured it'd bee too much of a hassle to get him or MGS in other things besides Smash. I don't think DLC characters are getting amiibos, so they won't have to worry about that if they make him DLC.

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
I think the thing that kept Snake out is amiibos. Amiibos are supposed to have functionality between tons of games, and even the 3rd party ones of Sanic, Megaman, and Pacman have uses. Maybe they figured it'd bee too much of a hassle to get him or MGS in other things besides Smash. I don't think DLC characters are getting amiibos, so they won't have to worry about that if they make him DLC.
But it was announced yet that Lucas and Mewtu are getting Amiibo.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I don't think so.
Sakurai stated that Amiibos have been introduced to him very late during development (at the start of 2014, if I remeber), so they can't have done such a role into characters selection.
Besides, Iwata annunced that both Mewtwo and Lucas are going to be amiibo.

IMO, the only thing that kept Snake out was Sakurai. He didn't want to have a lot of TP, so he chosen to have just one more than Brawl. He added Pac-Man for Bandai-Namco who was working on the game, and Sonic & Mega Man due to fan demand. So he simply left Snake behind (also because even if he was overall liked, there was a quite big piece of fanbase that were against him and his return). But now we can show that he is still loved, and I'm sure that, if Snake gets enough votes, Sakurai would be more than happy to bring him back!

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Smash Amiibo have a confirmed secondary use in Yoshi's Wooly World, in that any Amiibo grants a Yarn Yoshi a new skin.

Just think of how cute a Snake Yoshi would look.

ExtDoc

Smash Cadet
NNID
ExtDoctor
3DS FC
3626-0833-5755
Switch FC
SW-5883-4164-4801
So I'm sure about you guys have been over this again and again...but do you think the game's current rating (E-10+) had an influence on Nintendo's decision to cut Snake? If I remember correctly, apparently having realistic firearms would give the game a Teen rating (which is really dumb, but you know, the ESRB), which Snake technically does have.

At first glance it seems like this would be the case, but I don't know. It seems more like Nintendo just thought he wasn't worth the trouble, but even if he has realistic explosives, they seem less so when they don't kill people.
Well, do you think Nintendo actually intended the game to get an E10+ rating instead of a T one like both Melee and Brawl had? Because after all, Nintendo doesn't rate the game, the ESRB does, and I don't think Nintendo would have been like, "Oh crap guys! We're trying to go for an E10+ rating, so let's cut one of our most awesome characters just so the ESRB don't freak out!!"

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Well, do you think Nintendo actually intended the game to get an E10+ rating instead of a T one like both Melee and Brawl had? Because after all, Nintendo doesn't rate the game, the ESRB does, and I don't think Nintendo would have been like, "Oh crap guys! We're trying to go for an E10+ rating, so let's cut one of our most awesome characters just so the ESRB don't freak out!!"
And there is another thing to point out:
The japanese and european versions of Smash 4 have the exact same rating of Brawl (A and +12), so I don't think they 've considered the rating that much during the development.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I think Snake will be back as DLC due to what I call a perfect storm of factors, Sakurai's friendship with Kojima, Snake's popularity, his awesome Brawl moveset, and his iconic status

D

Deleted member

Just have to keep on waiting. Nobody's gonna tell you why this guy gets cut yadda yadda yadda... till all of the sudden BAM! OMG! IT'S :lucas:> :4lucas:! Just gotta wait it out... patience may reveal the fighter.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Hey when kojima leaves konami and starts kickstarter, maybe that game will come to wii u. Then no one can say he hates Nintendo :p.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Hey when kojima leaves konami and starts kickstarter, maybe that game will come to wii u. Then no one can say he hates Nintendo :p.
Man, I still have to understand why people think that Kojima hates Nintendo...

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
My ideas for Snake DLC:
Stage: Shadow Moses
New Assist Trophies: Raiden, Raven, and Mantis
Costumes: Brawl (default), Venom Snake, Old Snake, Peace Walker Sneaking Suit, MGS3 Sneaking Suit, MGS1, MGSV: GZ
Music: Red Alert (Metal Gear), Snake Eater (lyrical), MGS Peace Walker theme, MGRR Final Boss theme

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
My ideas for Snake DLC:
New Assist Trophies: Raiden, Raven, and Mantis
Costumes: Brawl (default), Venom Snake, Old Snake, Peace Walker Sneaking Suit, MGS3 Sneaking Suit, MGS1, MGSV: GZ
Music: Red Alert (Metal Gear), Snake Eater (lyrical), MGS Peace Walker theme, MGRR Final Boss theme
Good, but I'm more for:
Assist Trophy: Gray Fox (they brought back Shadow for Sonic, and haven't add anyone more)
Costumes: The 6 from Brawl plus MGS3 Big Boss and MGS Sneaking suit.
Music: All from Brawl plus The Best Has Yet To Come and the song that plays in Peace Walker
During Paz and ZEKE battle, man I love that song!

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Pretty much every discussion about Snake has been beaten to death.

His presence in the game isn't going to suddenly bump the rating.

We just have to wait and hope he surprises us alongside the two other bandana wearing blokes.
The ESRB ratings have changed over time, not against Snake or anything, just saying. Just look at Earthbound.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
The ESRB ratings have changed over time, not against Snake or anything, just saying. Just look at Earthbound.
Yeah, I see what you're getting at. Sadly, inappropriate jokes have been getting the hammer in Video Games. That's why Earthbound is rated T, I'm sure.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Does the esrb thing matter anymore? DLC isn't rated by them.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Does the esrb thing matter anymore? DLC isn't rated by them.
Plus it isn't like ERSB is the only one in the world. CERO and PEGI are also important, and they have rated Smash 4 as Brawl. It's 2 out of 3 that, in any case, wouldn't have problems with Snake DLC.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I doubt the rating had anything to do with it.

Duck Hunt, although they are indeed pixelated guns, wield the most realistic firearms in the series do date. Their Final Smash is literally an execution by firing squad.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Good, but I'm more for:
Assist Trophy: Gray Fox (they brought back Shadow for Sonic, and haven't add anyone more)
Costumes: The 6 from Brawl plus MGS3 Big Boss and MGS Sneaking suit.
Music: All from Brawl plus The Best Has Yet To Come and the song that plays in Peace Walker
During Paz and ZEKE battle, man I love that song!
I meant new assist trophies, Grey Fox will be back yes,
With what facts do you back up this theory? Seems like a pretty random thing to throw out without context.
Kojima has said that the upcoming MGS games will be his last for the previous decade

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Kojima has said that the upcoming MGS games will be his last for the previous decade
But this time he is leaving konami, he can't work on mgs6 since he's no longer there. Plus, they are getting a new team for mgs.

Knux27

Smash Journeyman
The problem is that MGSVI wont be Metal Gear if doesn't have Kojima's sense of humor.
Metal Gear will be ruined without Kojima
There is a reason I won't be buying any Metal Gear Games outside of Revengeance 2 after MGSV. I already own Legacy, and Revengeance.

The only way Konami can get me to buy more MGS games if they do nothing but remaster the games with the Fox Engine. Actually, the only game I really want remade with the Fox Engine is MGS2. I would actually be happy if it had MGS3 or 4's camera. Other than what I listed, I am boycotting any new MGS games from Konami.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I just want Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake remade. That's it.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Yeah, not only they are quite aged as games, but also those two are the canonical games thatbhave created most holes in the plot of the series! Who created the real first MG? Huey or Madnar? How Snake met Big Boss?

BTW, I once dreamed that the final mission in TPP was a complete remake of Metal Gear. You play as Solid Snake (voiced by Hayter) and there was an awesome final battle between the two Snakes!

Last edited:

Knux27

Smash Journeyman
Unless Kojima is dierctly involved, and the helm of development, with the box saying A Hideo Kojima Game, I will not buy a new MGS game. I only trust Kojima with the crazy masterpiece of a story he has created, and the other storywriters he has worked with, but not letting those other script writers work alone. I hope that outside of Snake DLC, Hayter does not voice Solid Snake in any new MGS games by Konami alone without Kojima.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
If it's just a straight remake of the Metal Gears, then I don't see how they couldn't be. It's still Kojima's story and world, just with someone else adding better graphics. There's a fine line between loving a designer/creator and praising him as some sort of deity.

Top Bottom