• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
Considering Konami has pretty much thrown out all its classic franchises except for Metal Gear, I'd say that Konami is the problem.
Capcom did the same to Mega Man, and he still got in.

Quillion

Smash Hero
But they "rewarded" capcom for doing "nothing".
Last generation alone, we got ZX, StarForce, and Classic 9 and 10.

A generation before Brawl, we got a fantastic remake of MGS1 (one which was made from the ground up) exclusive to GCN. It certainly helped that MGS2 and MGS3 did not star Solid Snake (only appearing as a side character in the former).

After Brawl established an even more viable market for Metal Gear on Nintendo, has Konami done anything to that effect since Twin Snakes? Well, just a subpar handheld port of a game that didn't star Solid Snake that got screwed over by the HD and Legacy collections. Effort? What's that?

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Kind of the same for me. Except that I wont defend something that I know I can't win with logical reasoning. I think that the no MGSV on Wii U is a valid argument, I don't think Snake fans can make a logical attempt to refute that point, so I don't try. I just accept it as a valid and logical point, then find a bunch of my own logical points to defend Snake with.
It really doesn't matter much to me if people buy MGSV on Wii U or not (I would buy it), but it would quell a lot of peoples feelings about Snake being in Smash.
Sonic
-History of rivalry with Nintendo
-Has exclusives on Wii U

Pac Man
-Has games on Wii U
-Namco helped develop Smash 4
-History in arcade games

Mega Man
-Has a lot of history being on Nintendo.

Also most people don't have a problem with Konami, just Metal Gear. There are tons of people who want Simon Belmont due to his history with Nintendo. A lot of people want Bomberman due to his history on Nintendo (lesser extent than Simon), and he is cartoony and "fits". Konami isn't the problem here, it is that people don't see Metal Gear having barely anything to do with Nintendo.
Also I am willing to bet that there would be a whole lot of people saying the same thing about Rayman, if Rayman didn't have Legends primarily on Wii U. But his games are on Wii U, which gives a lot of ground to his supporters,
I see what you mean, but i still dont think they have much ground to stand on in that though. We just got an MGS game with exclusive features for nintendo's newest handheld before kid icarus came out. Its not like they havent done anything, japan even got mg1 and 2 on VC, its just that the ones hating on snake tend to pick and choose what games matter to suite their point, and disregard what they dont deem as worthy efforts. I mean if they are gonna crap on the fact that its a port, or that they dont find it good, then that literally throws sonic under the bus too just based on his current record. And if its based on a companies loyalty, just look at capcom, besides monster hunter they havent done anything since RE revelations for nintendo, and even now the sequel came to everything but nintendo systems.

I understand why people come to the conclusions they do, but there is a major double standard when it comes to metal gear and nintendo fans. The mere fact that he has become a character in a past smash bros should blur any lines that were drawn in the sand, but the people who didnt understand his inclusion or metal gear, will always try to redraw them.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
After Brawl established an even more viable market for Metal Gear on Nintendo, has Konami done anything to that effect since Twin Snakes? Well, just a subpar handheld port of a game that didn't star Solid Snake that got screwed over by the HD and Legacy collections. Effort? What's that?
I agree, smash would show that there is a market for metal gear on nintendo. Considering all the votes snake is getting, Nintendo should show that to konami and that would be some good proof that there is a demand. I'd like to see them try again on 3ds (it'll probably sell better there.) I'd love to see a metal gear on wii u, but I don't think it'll happen unless Nintendo approaches Konami.

3rd Party support for wii u is a lost cause, exclusives are much better. I remember Kojima said that he'd rather make an exclusive for wii u than port the existing game. I'd like that, they could tailor it for the wii u. If we just got an mgs5 port, it'd be inferior to x86 platforms.
Majority of wii u owners own another platform. In an interview, Iwata now thinks of the wii u as good secondary console. Releasing a multiplat for the wii u is pretty much selling to the same people again. The only reason they would is if the wii u version was tailored for the gamepad, and majority of time when it is it's always delayed. But my point is, I'd rather we get an exclusive than MGS5.

Who knows, they might have game up their sleeves and plan on doing promotion with snake dlc or something, we still have that miiverse debug menu leak to fall back on.

Nicholas Donnoli

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shadowman9934
I agree, smash would show that there is a market for metal gear on nintendo. Considering all the votes snake is getting, Nintendo should show that to konami and that would be some good proof that there is a demand. I'd like to see them try again on 3ds (it'll probably sell better there.) I'd love to see a metal gear on wii u, but I don't think it'll happen unless Nintendo approaches Konami.

3rd Party support for wii u is a lost cause, exclusives are much better. I remember Kojima said that he'd rather make an exclusive for wii u than port the existing game. I'd like that, they could tailor it for the wii u. If we just got an mgs5 port, it'd be inferior to x86 platforms.
Majority of wii u owners own another platform. In an interview, Iwata now thinks of the wii u as good secondary console. Releasing a multiplat for the wii u is pretty much selling to the same people again. The only reason they would is if the wii u version was tailored for the gamepad, and majority of time when it is it's always delayed. But my point is, I'd rather we get an exclusive than MGS5.

Who knows, they might have game up their sleeves and plan on doing promotion with snake dlc or something, we still have that miiverse debug menu leak to fall back on.
Miiverse debug leak? What's that?

Junpei

Smash Rookie
Some guy found a way to access a debug menu in Miiverse and found out about 2 games that haven't been announced yet called Yoshi Land and Soul Hackers. People think Soul Hackers has something to do with MGS.

D

Deleted member

This i thought of recently, How is snake going to fit in with the roster? Back in brawl characters such as mario for example had a realistic outfit, while compared to how he looks in the Wii U game he goes back to his cartoonish roots. Which is ok, but now... Snake? How will he be depicted here? He can look fine on the 3ds game since it looks kinda brawl-ish but yeah...

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
This i thought of recently, How is snake going to fit in with the roster? Back in brawl characters such as mario for example had a realistic outfit, while compared to how he looks in the Wii U game he goes back to his cartoonish roots. Which is ok, but now... Snake? How will he be depicted here? He can look fine on the 3ds game since it looks kinda brawl-ish but yeah...

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
Another one of these eh?:
I honestly don't believe detailed/gritty characters make them standout awfully on the roster. For example, if you compared someone like Zero Suit Samus or Link and compared them to Mario, Pac-Man, Kirby, etc. you'd notice that the differences are massive, but not enough to make them look unfitting. So really, it's the type of scenario where you have to see it in order to understand. Also, Smash has had it's fair share of some conflicting art styles in the past... like this image.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I remember Kojima said that he'd rather make an exclusive for wii u than port the existing game.
That's an excuse to not put in the work and you know it.

It's no different from Miyamoto saying that he can't think of anything new for F-Zero.

D

Deleted member

Xevious that's actually not a bad way to depict him. Why didn't i think my post through. XP

Junpei

Smash Rookie

It's no different from Miyamoto saying that he can't think of anything new for F-Zero.
He's currently working hard on The Phantom Pain and he's going to leave Konami shortly after. He has a good excuse.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario

He said something similar about the Gamecube when asked about bringing Metal Gear to it, and look, we got twin snakes.

But we probably wont get that game anyway,kojima might be leaving after mgs.Unless it was being worked on simultaneously with the phantom pain, but that may be unlikely.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
Another idea.

On the miiverse stage, it's supposed to show miiverse posts rooting for each character playing on the stage. We could promote Snake by drawing him doing the rooting. "A win for Mario is a win for Snake" or something. Even doodles would be enough. If artistic skill is absolute 0, I'm sure somebody could find a way to use text.

I dunno, just an idea. I'd make a post for every character in the roster.

Sewnic

Smash Cadet
Would you even buy mgs5 on Wii u? No other third party supports the Wii u anymore, and yet konami is the one who always gets called out here. If megaman was still a triple a franchise. I guarantee you its next installment would skip.
Reminds me of when Watch Dogs was announced for all consoles except Wii U back in the day. In relevant comment sections on varying gaming sites, there was an immense outcry toward Ubisoft for not putting the game out on the Wii U. After the people's voices were heard, the game was eventually released on the platform... but to extremely underwhelming sales. Makes me think how Capcom started off the Revelations sub-series on a Nintendo platform only for the sequel to be absent on it. Mega Man Legends 3? Still recovering from that, as are many other fans who'd been waiting for a proper sequel for a decade.
I've always wondered, "what if this is actually Snake's (maybe one of his alternate costumes) promotional render for Smash 4?" After all, it was used to promote the Legacy Collection and nothing else. Seems like a lot of effort went into this only for it to be somewhat underused.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Reminds me of when Watch Dogs was announced for all consoles except Wii U back in the day. In relevant comment sections on varying gaming sites, there was an immense outcry toward Ubisoft for not putting the game out on the Wii U. After the people's voices were heard, the game was eventually released on the platform... but to extremely underwhelming sales. Makes me think how Capcom started off the Revelations sub-series on a Nintendo platform only for the sequel to be absent on it. Mega Man Legends 3? Still recovering from that, as are many other fans who'd been waiting for a proper sequel for a decade.
I was hoping that would release it on time and not gimped so we could see how well it would sell, to see if Wii u owners truly bought 3rd party multi plats, but it didn't happen.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
Wii U owners would say that the Watch Dogs port was gimped and delayed. Also they will say it was a mediocre game.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
If ports are really this unsuccessful, I can understand why Kojima would want to make unique game. I just don't understand why are Wii U ports often inferior to their PS4 counterparts?

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
So...with MKX pretty much out, it seems like there really is no Sutherland involvement like Boon previously said, unless he voices a dlc character or something.

Here's hoping he somehow mixed up Smash Bros with Mortal Kombat, as funny as that sounds :yeahboi:
Though I suppose there's always a chance he meant his work he did generations ago in the 24 game or CoD. Never know with these clueless gamers.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I personally don't see Sutherland in MKX at this point unless the game pulls an MVC3 and has Day 1 fighter DLC.

Which is all the better for Snake's chances.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
If ports are really this unsuccessful, I can understand why Kojima would want to make unique game. I just don't understand why are Wii U ports often inferior to their PS4 counterparts?
I mean, you obviously can't make it look as good as the ps4 version,or have it run as good without sacrificing visuals. The wii u isn't x86, and is weaker to it. The only reason some would buy the wii u version is if it has gamepad exclusive features. Off-tv play is most of the time guaranteed, which means you'll have the choice of better resolution/framerate on x86 platforms, or off-tv play.
3rd parties can't do much about this.
The gimping is a result of choice, wii u versions are low budget:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...says-wii-u-ports-costing-under-USD1-3-million
With a budget like this, the game coming out on time would result in features being dropped. So, most of the time, these ports are gimped.
If konami followed this strategy,you can expect mgs5 to be gimped. It would certainly look better than last gen, but it would be missing features like MGO and potentially co-op, if that's in the game.
I guess the reason why these 3rd parties do this is because they feel not enough people would buy it, plus the install base is lower than the others. So for them,it's either low budget port, or no port at all. I wish it wasn't that way though.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's not so much that they can't make wii u versions of games look good, especially when ps4 and xbone weren't out yet. People just didn't want to put in the effort to try. Can't lazily do ports on it like the other consoles/PC because of the gamepad and such.

That's one of the main reasons they don't sell well I think. Developers never take the time to make the wii u version worth owning.

Fpgi

Smash Rookie
Hello guys!!! I am watching this post for quite a some time!
Now i am going to join the cause actively!!

What we can do to earn Snake more votes!! I mean we have good support for the fanbase! Already contacted some MGS sites!!
Also i heard we had some support from Kojima and Konami but do we have a statement or something?
I think if we have a statement like ''We want Snake too or We don t mind" Snake would earn more votes from people who still have some doubts about his comeback!!
If we reach Konami and Kojima Snake support will be stonger!!

We could also try David Hayter?
What do you guys think???

ZombieVito

Smash Journeyman
So...with MKX pretty much out, it seems like there really is no Sutherland involvement like Boon previously said, unless he voices a dlc character or something.

Here's hoping he somehow mixed up Smash Bros with Mortal Kombat, as funny as that sounds :yeahboi:
Though I suppose there's always a chance he meant his work he did generations ago in the 24 game or CoD. Never know with these clueless gamers.
I completely forgot about this. Do you happen to have the link to his post about it?

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Hello guys!!! I am watching this post for quite a some time!
Now i am going to join the cause actively!!

What we can do to earn Snake more votes!! I mean we have good support for the fanbase! Already contacted some MGS sites!!
Also i heard we had some support from Kojima and Konami but do we have a statement or something?
I think if we have a statement like ''We want Snake too or We don t mind" Snake would earn more votes from people who still have some doubts about his comeback!!
If we reach Konami and Kojima Snake support will be stonger!!

We could also try David Hayter?
What do you guys think???
Yeah if enough of us tweet Hayter, he'll tweet about it. In fact, I'm surprised he hasn't, this could be his chance to voice snake again(assuming snake isn't already planned and he's voicing him.)

Pallex

Smash Journeyman

If this is true...

:drflip::drflip::drflip::drflip::drflip::drflip:
Not sure what will Metal Gear Solid 5 on the Wii U unlock in Super Smash Bros as the game can be on the Wii U or it can't be but Super Smash Bros for Wii U/3DS is still the same punch punch kick game.

Konami denies it. I'm just going to ignore them as Konami is full on Troll mode.
She withdrew her word about Kojima being fired. Apparently everyone who works with Hideo Kojima will inherit his trolliness and will start trolling everyone else. :glare:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Although the Sutherland thing is, if nothing else, interesting, I can't imagine it means too much. Unless they went out of their way to rerecord Snake's lines in Smash 4 (which only a small handful of characters, e.g. Ness and Kirby, received), I imagine they'd just use his Brawl dialogue.

Just trying to be rational. I'd be lying if I said I'm not intrigued.

Knux27

Smash Journeyman
Although the Sutherland thing is, if nothing else, interesting, I can't imagine it means too much. Unless they went out of their way to rerecord Snake's lines in Smash 4 (which only a small handful of characters, e.g. Ness and Kirby, received), I imagine they'd just use his Brawl dialogue.

Just trying to be rational. I'd be lying if I said I'm not intrigued.
I agree, I think it would be a waste of money to have Sutherland rerecord Snake's lines when Hayter's Snake voice is already in the game.
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2h8x7h/character_crowd_chant_files_show_lucas_snake_ice/

After rereading the reddit thread, I take back what I said about the lines being in the game. Maybe Sutherland was recording Snake's Smash 4 lines after all.

Found this when I was looking for the Reddit thread. An article campaigning for Snake's return.
https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2015/04/05/smash-4-dlc-the-case-for-snake/

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I would love for Sutherland to voice Snake. I really liked how he voiced Big Boss. I'd also be okay with Hayter, but I find his voice is a little too gruff. Sutherland feels more natural.

So is it confirmed Kojima was fired from Konami? If so, could someone provide a link?

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
In my dreams. I imagined Solid Snake, with Big Boss as an alternate costumes (like Alph). Hayter voices Snake, Sutherland voices Big Boss. Probably will never happen.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
In my dreams. I imagined Solid Snake, with Big Boss as an alternate costumes (like Alph). Hayter voices Snake, Sutherland voices Big Boss. Probably will never happen.
Hey, we got different voiced alts for Bowser Jr, WFT and Robin, I think anything's possible.

Smoking_Hot_BBQ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cvl257
3DS FC
4098-4726-7823
If there was a big boss alt, would you rather see his snake eater design, peace walker design, or phantom pain design?

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
If there was a big boss alt, would you rather see his snake eater design, peace walker design, or phantom pain design?
Snake Eater is my favourite, but Phantom Pain would be amazing. Just up the ante on the gritty realism, it'd be an amazing dichotomy~ >w<

Top Bottom