• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
I mentioned plugging Snake in the miiverse stage posts awhile back. I'm gonna go draw Snake with every character. Ya'll should join me.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
We could also try to contact the MGS3D group people!

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I can top that:
You can try my boy...

----
Anyway yeah miiverse is a always a good place to start spreading the word, ive done a number of posts on the smash bros one (i think the mgs3d one as well). They always come with the unfavorable comments though, but those can be deleted too.

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, just curious. What's your favorite Metal Gear track? I'm seriously torn here. Heaven's Divide, Way to Fall... Oh jeez, Calling to the Night...

I'll make a post on miiverse as well. Great idea, guys. These MGS5 gifs are amazing. Holy crap. x]

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Hey guys, just curious. What's your favorite Metal Gear track? I'm seriously torn here. Heaven's Divide, Way to Fall... Oh jeez, Calling to the Night...

I'll make a post on miiverse as well. Great idea, guys. These MGS5 gifs are amazing. Holy crap. x]
Zanzibar breeze and tears from mg2. MG2 had a pretty good sound track.

StormC

Smash Hero
My favorite track singular? That's a hard hitting question. A few top contenders:

-Theme Of Solid Snake
-Metal Gear Solid 2: Main Theme
-The Best Is Yet To Come
-Heaven's Divide
-Love Deterrence
-The Only Thing I Know For Real
-Old Snake

This isn't counting songs licensed to the games, like Way To Fall and Nuclear.

Gun to my head, I'd probably say the MGS2 theme, as it's my favorite version of what was once the main tune of the franchise.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
This is song is spoilery, but screw it.
The perfect ending...:sadeyes:

StormC

Smash Hero
Father And Son is fantastic too, although not quite as good with the context removed and listened to by itself.

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice
My favorite track singular? That's a hard hitting question. A few top contenders:

-Theme Of Solid Snake
-Metal Gear Solid 2: Main Theme
-The Best Is Yet To Come
-Heaven's Divide
-Love Deterrence
-The Only Thing I Know For Real
-Old Snake

This isn't counting songs licensed to the games, like Way To Fall and Nuclear.

Gun to my head, I'd probably say the MGS2 theme, as it's my favorite version of what was once the main tune of the franchise.
You know, I do love the MGS2 theme as well. Snake Eater is really great too. Only Thing I Know For Real is pretty sweet, but I think my favorite is Calling to the Night. Did learn Way To Fall on guitar, though.
The MG games have such a unique soundtrack to them. I think the MG series even tops Metroid for my favorite video game music. Thanks for linking those, I'm in the mood for some MG sounds while I photoshop and such.

StormC

Smash Hero
Snake Eater is really great too.
Ah geez, somehow Snake Eater totally slipped my mind. Though, it's also reached a point where I've heard it so much it's become kind of oversaturated, since y'know, memes. Still great, though.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Not directly Snake-related, but Gray Fox appears in this week's edition of "Be a **** to Roy for no reason". aka Awkward Zombie.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Replaying Twin Snakes. I am actually doing good on Ocelot's torture sections. Sweet.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I still can't help but feel like the fact that Snake was mentioned at all in the 50 Facts Direct means that at the very least they may be trying to bring him back, even if [ahem] the other end seems quite uncooperative.

Like I don't even care if they don't bring Snake's codecs back (they probably won't due to Roy Campbell being retired after his Japanese VO's death, unless the new codecs are done with MGS characters other than Campbell while they reuse his old lines), just Snake and his stage coming back will be enough.

StormC

Smash Hero
New codecs wouldn't happen due to both DLC limitations and voice actor conflicts. If Shadow Moses returned, I bet they'd just cut them wholesale.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
I dunno about that. No such thing as DLC limitations, and Roy's japanese VA being gone is about all I can think of as a conflict. Only veteran one's being added would be reasonable though.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Ah, now that the David Hayter and Kiefer Sutherland aspect has been mentioned:

Do you think they'll re-use the Hayter voice clips from Brawl for Snake himself, or will he have new lines from Sutherland, similar to how Sonic has new voice clips in Smash 4 with his current VA? I hadn't considered this possibility until now tbh.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Ah, now that the David Hayter and Kiefer Sutherland aspect has been mentioned:

Do you think they'll re-use the Hayter voice clips from Brawl for Snake himself, or will he have new lines from Sutherland, similar to how Sonic has new voice clips in Smash 4 with his current VA? I hadn't considered this possibility until now tbh.
I bet they'll re-use hayter's clips from brawl and cut the codecs.

Or they could go the Marth and Roy route and use Akio Otsuka's VA clips.

StormC

Smash Hero
They'd definitely reuse Brawl voice clips. Using Sutherland would be much more trouble than it's worth for everyone involved.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Yeah honestly im not hopeful for a whole set or any codecs if we got him as dlc, just having him back is good enough at this point.

-----

As for my favorite themes, well most of the big ones many enjoy have been mentioned. But i tend to enjoy the either uplifiting or somber songs more then anything else. Such as these ones, i love the era specific ones too

Zero Allies

Old Metal Gear

Metal Gear Saga

Love Deterrent (Ground Zeroes Version)

Snake Eater (Abstracted camouflage version)

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yes there are. Time, money, actor availability. We're seeing it now with the lack of Guidance DLC.

David Hayter/Kiefer Sutherland.
Those are time, money, and actor availability limitations. DLC itself has no limitations. If they want to, and are willing to use the resources needed, they can do anything they want to with the DLC. Lack of Palutena's guidance is just them not putting in the extra work for it.

Hayter vs Sutherland also isn't a big deal. It's not like Hayter is now banned from doing anything related to MGS. Sutherland was an artistic decision for MGS5. That doesn't mean all of Hayter's Snake needs to be erased. It'd be pretty weird for MGS1 codecs to have Hayter replaced with all other the voices intact too. The fact that they literally cannot record new Campbell lines in japanese without a completely different actor mixed in with what's already recorded is the only blatant limitation.

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice
I'll be missing David Hayter's delicious tones in MGS5, but Sutherland pulls it off pretty well.

Speaking of, forgive me, but isn't Solid Snake's first name (I believe revealed in MGS4, been a few months)
David? if so, I think it's pretty cool that Hayter is his VA. With all Hayter's been through with the series it's pretty fitting. Also, cool tidbit, (still a spoiler, sorry xP) Solid Snake's Japanese VA's father is also a VA. Apparently Kojima got him to do Big Boss in MGS4.

What's doubly cool however, is that they both hated each other or something. They were estranged. Kojima put them together on purpose in hopes they'd reconcile, and they did! Isn't that heartwarming? I swear, I love Kojima. He's incredible.

While I'm on the subject, apparently MGS4's ending was originally much different than what it is. Kojima wanted Snake and Otacon to be brought in and executed for war crimes or something as the ending. Apparently the staff refused to work on the game if that's how he was going to end it.

Sorry that I got off track. All of this, I read on TV Tropes. Browse that site at your own risk, it's incredibly addicting.

I wouldn't mind Snake getting his Codecs back, but I don't really see them returning. Something that the devs SHOULD NOT skip on though, is Snake having a good Palutena's Guidance where he and Otacon hijack it. Considering Codecs were the Palutena's Guidance of Brawl, I see it as a huge misstep if they aren't even referenced in 4.

StormC

Smash Hero
Snake's first name was first revealed in MGS1, in the Otacon ending.

Those are time, money, and actor availability limitations. DLC itself has no limitations. If they want to, and are willing to use the resources needed, they can do anything they want to with the DLC. Lack of Palutena's guidance is just them not putting in the extra work for it.

Hayter vs Sutherland also isn't a big deal. It's not like Hayter is now banned from doing anything related to MGS. Sutherland was an artistic decision for MGS5. That doesn't mean all of Hayter's Snake needs to be erased. It'd be pretty weird for MGS1 codecs to have Hayter replaced with all other the voices intact too. The fact that they literally cannot record new Campbell lines in japanese without a completely different actor mixed in with what's already recorded is the only blatant limitation.
It would be a pretty costly endeavor to write out 15+ codecs and hire actors for both English and Japanese versions to perform them. Not to mention the fact that even the same actors will sound pretty different after 8 years between recordings, and that this would accompany a stage as an easter egg that has to sell on its own merits. Casting would also probably go through Konami who are unlikely to approve of Hayter (especially after his public blasting of Konami on Twitter). There's way too many issues for them to bother with it at this stage in the game.

Last edited:

SmashCast

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EpicPJ516
Woah, bros, don't give up yet. This is like that level of Elite Beat Agents where everyones in prison, we just gotta wait a bit for him to come out of the ocean to dance. We gotta keep fighting, and by fighting I mean sitting at our computers and hoping that Sakurai did put Snake in.

Thread theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xoDlWEWrEg

Seriously though, why would Sakurai cut Snake? Sakurai is always against cutting characters, and the only thing Snake has going against him is the fact that MGSV isn't coming to Wii U, but Nintendo said they don't care about the other consoles. As long as theirs succeeds, they don't care. It's not like MGSV would even save the Wii U, since it would end up being one of the inferior versions.

I've regained my hope through the fact that Snake has no reason to be cut (other than the one listed above) There are too many reasons for him to stay.

1. Sakurai wants the game to be the #1 character game in the world
2. Snake has a unique moveset that couldn't be used by anyone else
3. Cutting Snake would mean that a whole franchise is cut
4. Snake brings other unique qualities (such as codecs with characters from his game. Sure, characters like Pit could have codec like easter eggs, but Snake's bring whole other characters to the table)
5. Snake is from and represents a rated M series, which no Nintendo character could replace. This kind of falls under #1 character game in the world
6. As far as we know, Kojima and Sakurai are friends.

The only two reasons I can think of causing Snake not to appear are
1. Nintendo though he was too violent
This is unlikely, as he was allowed in Brawl, which was intended for younger players then this game is. He also only uses explosives, all of which 99.9% of children cannot obtain, unlike a gun. I remember reading an interview right after E3 2006, where Sakurai stated that he was likely going to make Snake use only explosives, because he didn't want him to use guns, since those are in reach of some children (Interview is here http://www.n-sider.com/contentview.php?contentid=2576)

2. Kojima doesn't want Snake in because of Snake's VA and MGSV.
This is even more unlikely, as Kojima has stated he wants Snake in the new game. But, if Solid Snake is in MGSV, and David Hayter is voicing him, that means that this whole incident with David Hayter and MGSV was a lie to surprise the player when they play MGSV. For those of you who don't know, DH has always voiced Snake (Both Naked and Solid), but in MGSV, Naked Snake/Big Boss is voiced by Keifer Sutherland. This caused controversy, since DH has always been the iconic voice, and DH kind of made a big deal about it online, saying how he felt betrayed that they got KS to voice Snake instead.

However, people think that Solid Snake will be in MGSV as a surprise, since it also fits within the MGS timeline. People speculate that DH will be voicing SS, and Keifer will voice Big Boss/Naked Snake. Kojima has been known to pull these types of pranks on gamers, and may have told DH to make a big deal about it online to surprise people when they played the game. Kojima might not want Snake in yet because he doesn't want DH to voice Snake in Smash, as it might soften the surprise when people hear him in MGSV. I don't know why KS wouldn't voice Snake, but that might be because Snake would then have to be MGSV Snake, and the voice isn't as iconic as DH's.

Again, this is more unlikely, since Kojima himself asked Sakurai on stream to put Snake in, but maybe they both planned to add him in after MGSV is released, after the surprise, and after people realized DH was never actually angry about it.

But then again, maybe it was something as stupid as "He didn't fit." But I think Sakurai is smarter than that, and if it was "He didn't fit." it was probably from the higher ups at Nintendo. But even then, the higher ups at Nintendo don't give a **** about whether or not Snake is in. If anything, they would want him in to attract the MGS fans, which are some of the most dedicated fans of any fanbase. You can argue "Well, Snake being in is free advertising for MGSV, which isn't on Nintendo" but Nintendo doesn't care as long as they get their money. If someone buys Smash, then buys MGSV as a result of Smash, why would they care? They got their money, whatever happens afterwards is not their problem. If anything, it'll just strengthen their relationship with Konami.

But yeah, fight the powa.
Agreed bro. But notice how this game is E10+ instead of T. That was my big confirmation that Snake wouldn't be back in this game.. They can't just change the rating for DLC.

Then again, they could change his moveset but at that point I just find no potention in the character itself.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
If Big Boss makes it in instead of Solid Snake, then this needs to be his Side Special. :p

chuckthesmashlover

Smash Journeyman
Agreed bro. But notice how this game is E10+ instead of T. That was my big confirmation that Snake wouldn't be back in this game.. They can't just change the rating for DLC.

Then again, they could change his moveset but at that point I just find no potention in the character itself.
I don't think Snake would affect the rating.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500

Nah, Brawl wasn't rated T due of Snake. Actually, by reading trought ERSB rating, looks like that what made Brawl T was its more realistic look and :wario:'s farts.

LousyTactician

There's a red door and I want it painted pink
Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I thought it was agreed that Snake wasn't the reason for Brawl's T rating.

As for voices, I think it'd be efficient to reuse Hayter's clips, ignoring his vocal Haytred(HUEHUEHUE) of Konami. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to Sutherland redoing them, though.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The @Snake4Smash4 twitter has FINALLY reached 200 followers. Great job guys!

I also just tweeted that Ryu pic and tagged Sakurai and Kojma in it. Come at me.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario

Here is my post from a few pages back:
Here is the ratings for brawl, smash 4,and dreammix tv if anyone wants to compare them:

Super Smash Bros. Brawl
ESRB: Teen
PEGI: 12
CERO: A
OFLC: PG

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U & 3ds
ESRB: E10+
PEGI: 12
OFLC: PG

Dreammix Tv world fighters:

The rating only went down for ESRB. Don't know if snake's removel/addition really truly had an effect on the rating.
Judging by that, I doubt snake would really bring up the rating. There were some other things in brawl, like blood on master hand or the fact you can look up skirts.

Snake's first name was first revealed in MGS1, in the Otacon ending.
Wasn't it in both endings?

Snake himself would probably require some hoops to jump through, but codec calls would just bring in more trouble. @ StormC StormC
listed most of the reasons why it would be difficult for them. It's much easier to just bring back snake and shadow moses.
Maybe we could get a unique guidance for him, though.

Top Bottom