• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Doesn't Eternals have a 71% on Rotten Tomatoes?

Also those are early reviews, that could eventually change.
I was expecting Eternals to be one of the best Marvel movies, the director (Chloe Zhao) has an Academy Award. I wasn't expecting something worse than Thor 2. I hope it's just a critic thing somehow?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I was expecting Eternals to be one of the best Marvel movies, the director (Chloe Zhao) has an Academy Award. I wasn't expecting something worse than Thor 2. I hope it's just a critic thing somehow?
That's...That's impossible!

It's an MCU film! Everyone is supposed to like anything that is the MCU!

What is this sorcery!? This cannot be!? The impossible has actually happened!?

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I would appreciate that very much lol.
This is a mess but here you go:

CardCharacter
The FoolScooby-Doo
The MagicianWile E. Coyote
The High PriestessRaven
The EmpressCatwoman
The EmperorKing Kong
The HierophantGandalf
The LoversLion-O
The ChariotLola Bunny
StrengthIron Giant
The HermitBatman
Wheel of FortuneNeo
JusticeJabberjaw
The Hanged ManDorothy Gale
DeathRick Sanchez
TemperanceShaggy Rogers
The DevilPennywise
The TowerBeetlejuice
The StarSuper Man
The MoonThe Night King
The SunHarry Potter
JudgmentYakko, Wakko & Dot
The WorldBugs Bunny

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Proper reveal of Hisuian Zorua and Zoroark

These Zorua migrated to the Hisui region after being driven from other lands by humans, who shunned the Pokémon for manifesting uncanny illusions. But the Zorua perished, unable to survive the harsh Hisuian environment and strife with other Pokémon. Their lingering souls were reborn in this Ghost-type form through the power of their malice toward humans and Pokémon.

YEAH! **** EM, ZORUA! HUMANS AINT ****
Screenshot_2019-07-06-12-53-45~2.png

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Utterly stunned that the movie that seems to be about, according to the marketing I've seen, "people named Glup Speedo standing around in a grey field" isn't up to snuff
Well considering the talent involved it’s a big shame if it’s not that great.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Also, damn review culture got y'all thinking that a 70% is a bad score.

Batman 1989 and Forrest Gump got the same score as Eternals, I guess they're bad now.
Usually review scores tend to go down after a wide release. So while Batman 89 and Forrest Gump may have started with a 90 and then dropped to a 70 Eternals has started at a 70 and will likely drop to a 60 or god-forbid, even lower. That’s not ALWAYS the case, ALITA did the opposite (started with like a 50 I think) so we’ll see when more people see it.

I don’t really care because I’ll decide if I like a movie or not but as I said above, considering the talent, it’s kind of shocking.

D

Deleted member

Gamefreak really likes to kill off Pokemon it seems, quite literally this time even. First Basculegion and now Zorua. And not too long ago, we got Galarian Corsola. Not to mention how they kinda retconned Mega forms in Sun & Moon to be these extremely taxing and painful transformation you subject your Pokemon to (you monster). Either GF are a bunch of sadists or it's a cry for help.

What's next? Gen 9 but half the Pokemon are dead?

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Gamefreak really likes to kill off Pokemon it seems, quite literally this time even. First Basculegion and now Zorua. And not too long ago, we got Galarian Corsola. Not to mention how they kinda retconned Mega forms in Sun & Moon to be these extremely taxing and painful transformation you subject your Pokemon to (you monster). Either GF are a bunch of sadists or it's a cry for help.

What's next? Gen 9 but half the Pokemon are dead?
Gen 9 means no more Pokemon.

We are finally free

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
The next drawing for this week is Marino, another Mega Man character, another ninja. Part 2 of 3. Probably the coolest of the new Command Mission characters, and I like all 3 of the new additions to MMX's team in that game.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Review scores are stupid and only exist for dumbasses to take out of context and for getting cheap clicks
Agreed; I feel like people take arbitrary numbers way too seriously. "Oh no, only 79% of critics liked this movie instead of 80% of them! It's doomed!"

If people are going by the actual content of the review, that's one thing (at least that gives you an idea of what the reviewer found to be good or bad about the movie/game, and give you an idea of whether you'd like it or not), but the score at the end could have been picked out of a hat for all we know. (a triple-A release could have a bunch of criticisms in the review, only to give it a 9/10 or 10/10 at the end because they don't want to deal with fans of the game or movie getting upset over a negative review score even though said fans haven't actually played the game or watched the movie in question, since it isn't out yet)

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Funnily enough, Michael here considers that movie to be one of the few "good" MCU films
Iron Man (2008), Captain America Trilogy, Guardians 1 & 2, Thor (2011), Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, The Avengers, Avengers: Age of Ultron.

Black Panther and Shang-Chi I thought were OK films at best. Black Widow I thought wasn't great but still good. Homecoming and Far From Home timewasters at best. Infinity War though very flawed I still thought was fun.

All MCU films I've enjoyed.

Far from a few.

Guardians 3 and Doctor Strange 2 are also the MCU films I'm looking forward to the most.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Agreed; I feel like people take arbitrary numbers way too seriously. "Oh no, only 79% of critics liked this movie instead of 80% of them! It's doomed!"

If people are going by the actual content of the review, that's one thing (at least that gives you an idea of what the reviewer found to be good or bad about the movie/game, and give you an idea of whether you'd like it or not), but the score at the end could have been picked out of a hat for all we know. (a triple-A release could have a bunch of criticisms in the review, only to give it a 9/10 or 10/10 at the end because they don't want to deal with fans of the game or movie getting upset over a negative review score even though said fans haven't actually played the game or watched the movie in question, since it isn't out yet)
It also comes down to the reviewer as well, if they're someone you tend to agree with or they're coming from a similar position as you then the content of their review will resonate more with you.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
The messed up N64 emulation is honestly so embarrassing. All they had to do was make an N64 emulator that actually worked better than most other solutions and yet it's somehow worse than the Wii U's emulator? Ugh. I get the N64 is super, super hard to accurately emulate in general but I really hoped that if anyone could do it it'd be Nintendo themselves, especially for the asking price.

I know not everyone has $180 and an old N64, but the Everdrive 64 is one of the best purchases I've ever made. One cartridge, an entire N64 library, all on original hardware and functioning exactly like it's on an original cart. Plus you get to play Smash Remix on the console, too, and that's quite fun.

Utterly stunned that the movie that seems to be about, according to the marketing I've seen, "people named Glup Speedo standing around in a grey field" isn't up to snuff
Yeah, it looks really bland to me personally. It might've been better to lean into Kirby's aesthetic since they're already obscure even for comic book standards. Like make the characters feel alive I guess. That's what I like about Kirby's art, it sort of demands attention. I also feel like the trailers didn't do a good job making any of the characters standout in any significant way.

Granted, even when they were first in the comics, The Eternals weren't Kirby's biggest solo idea like Silver Surfer or the New Gods during his DC days. Let alone a lot of his collabs with FF, X-Men, the various Avengers.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
In other news.

No dogs might not die in Antlers (Which comes out this week) at all. If this is the case. I'm definitely 100% seeing!

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Unless my friends are planning on seeing Eternals I think I'll skip it

It looks kinda eh and it's not a property I know or care about too much. Granted that was true for Shang-Chi too and that turned out to be a banger of a film so I'll wait and see

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
All of this movie talk reminds me that I actually watched Venom 2 a couple weeks ago.

It's...ok. The action scenes are entertaining and there are some great looking special effects sequences but everything else is forgettable. Like the plot is just Eddie and Venom break up but have to reconcile because there is now another symbiote attached to a criminal and they want carnage..blah blah blah.

The best part of the film is when Venom goes into a club and everyone thinks he's in a costume. If there is one thing this film does right, it's that it really embraces its madness and ridiculousness. Otherwise it's a movie that just "exists" to me, but I did at least find it more entertaining to watch than the first one.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Well, it's a pretty unusual movie by MCU standards. I wouldn't be surprised if that turned off people.
Some of the reviews seem rather divisive on the Eternals. But I'll probably wait and see once the film comes out and then I'll make my own opinion.

Other than that, I've watched the "Marvel's Assembling the Universe" documentary on Disney+ and it is very interesting to see how some media outlets regarded the Phase 1 superheroes as "second strings" considering that they were not big at the time. Then again, Marvel Studios had already introduced the likes of the Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man, Dr. Strange, Black Panther, Wanda Maximoff (Scarlet Witch), Captain Marvel, Shang Chi and even the Eternals to audiences.

All I am going to say is that I am interested to see how the Marvel Cinematic Universe will keep on building within the future.

In terms of bad movies, the only bad movie that I can still recall is the 2019 version of Cats.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Considering I'm a horror aficionado I'm well aware that review scores are nonsense and that if a movie gets great scores it often just means what's most mainstream palatable but I do think it also holds true that holy **** for a billion dollar company they sure are doing nothing to make this film seem more interesting than People In A Grey Field. Perhaps it'll be a surprising hit once it's released and it'll have something interesting going for it but it's kind of a bummer that after Loki (a show I thought was overall really excellent despite a few hiccups) and the other Originals that have done really cool stuff they've kinda gone backwards in terms of movie production value. I'm all for popcorn movies and all that but I prefer the wide sweeping shots to look more interesting than Grey With Spots Of Colorful Heroes.

I don't blame the people involved - I'm with NSG in that it's a shame that there are some talented people on the project, but unfortunately as the MCU has expanded Disney has been tightening their grip harder and harder on the people involved. There are some real shining stars in between all of it, of course, but brand homogeneity always seems to come first, with creative film direction second. Perhaps the film will surprise me once it actually drops and I'll likely be seeing both it and Shang-Chi quite soon, but sheesh. Rough start.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom