• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Snorlax Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
hydro pump is quite a good move still, for pokemon that need the extra power behind low spA. kingdra, cloyster, and even starmie use it well.

i think 70 acc is when it gets really iffy, but there are even ways to properly use thunder and blizzard

i dont really mind poor acc anymore as long as i can make good use of the move

bugs **** w/ accuracy

compoundeyes galvantula, venomoth, butterfree
hone claws durant TOOOOO GOOD

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Oh hey question out of curiosity.

Why have I seen everyone with Rock Slide on their sets instead of Stone Edge this gen?

I know Stone Edge has 80% accuracy, but that was the case last gen and it was a really popular move. Besides, its accuracy was 80%, but it never missed lmao, unlike Hydro Pump which might as well be called ****ing Guilotine.

I hate Hydro Pump
[/COLOR

Some Pokemon don't actually learn Stone Edge. Notably Doryuuzu.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
only pokemon that i have seen that has the choice between the two to pick use it is dactyl lead.
Stone Edge or Rock Slide?

Heh, it's funny, because in third gen (or at least in XD) Hydro Pump is incredibly broken the other way. While climbing up Mt. Battle somewhat recently, Hydro Pump hit me every single time except twice.

On both of those two occasions when it missed, Kingdra was using Hydro Pump. And it was raining.

I don't know how it even missed those times nor do I understand why it always hits every other time, but yeah, Hydro Pump is just an annoying move.
Lol it's different when you're playing against CPU, they hit with everything.

Let me tell you a great story.

Once I was ascending the ol' Battle Tower, and was doing pretty well for myself. Then suddenly, some dude leads with Rhydon and I'm like lol this gon' be a breeze. Quick Claw activates, Rhydon uses Horn Drill, down goes my first pokémon.

FFFFUUUU I say, but whatever one time hax is no biggie, it's the nature of the game.

Send out pokémon 2. Quick Claw activates, Rhydon used Horn Drill. Pokémon 2 faints!

o.o

Gingerly sends out pokémon 3. Quick Claw activates, Rhydon used Horn Drill, pokémon 3 faints!

*Puts picture of Satoshi Tajiri on dartboard*

*Kills small children*

*Attempts suicide and fails*

*Starts Battle Tower ascent again*

:(

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
...Holy ****, that's not even bad luck, that's just flat-out...like, the game is plotting to kill you and your family. >_>

...So yeah, I guess you're right lol. CPUs in general are pretty hax.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Also +rep on Volcarona.

Been training Larvesta. :/

RATED

Smash Lord
:/ anyone can help me? I am having trouble to Wifi trade with someone( in the FC thing) since I can actually trade in the GTS, but when I go to the room in the middle, I try to trade with someone but it says connection error :/ and throws me out of the room :(

Enzo

Smash Lord
Stone Edge or Rock Slide?

Lol it's different when you're playing against CPU, they hit with everything.

Let me tell you a great story.

Once I was ascending the ol' Battle Tower, and was doing pretty well for myself. Then suddenly, some dude leads with Rhydon and I'm like lol this gon' be a breeze. Quick Claw activates, Rhydon uses Horn Drill, down goes my first pokémon.

FFFFUUUU I say, but whatever one time hax is no biggie, it's the nature of the game.

Send out pokémon 2. Quick Claw activates, Rhydon used Horn Drill. Pokémon 2 faints!

o.o

Gingerly sends out pokémon 3. Quick Claw activates, Rhydon used Horn Drill, pokémon 3 faints!

*Puts picture of Satoshi Tajiri on dartboard*

*Kills small children*

*Attempts suicide and fails*

*Starts Battle Tower ascent again*

:(
whoops
i meant that i only see stone edge

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum

o.o

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Lol.

It was all peachy until Platinum imo.

D/P's only real issue was Garchomp, but personally I loved the land shark infestation.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Yeah Teran you're little BT story happened to me, the exact same thing. Battle 93 out of my 100 win streak. Sent me all the way back down to 1.

=/

M3D

In the Game of Thrones, You Morph or You Die
BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
Banning Garchomp actually hurt me because I only played competitively (Top 50 Smogon OU!) with hail teams. So what was usually a guaranteed kill got replace by other things I didn't always have so easy a time knocking-out.

I hear 5th Gen OU is stupid right now because Smogon is lame and banned SwiftSwim/Drizzle on the same team AND because Dream World abilities have broken the game. In particular, Shadow Tag Chandelure is totally broken and Ditto is a total pain with the new copy-cat skill it got. People run a very specific Serperior on teams just to deal with Dittos... but hey! At least a grass starter is finally OU, right?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
ill try to type what i feel is the issue about the dw tier on both PO and smogon servers, without using words like stupid or broken...

for PO, aka dw with swift swim and no team preview, the problem with the metagame is that it's very, very difficult to consistently win all matches on the ladder. there are simply so many threats to be considered that it's super difficult to build well-rounded teams that can cover everything, and when this happens, most people tend to use either hyper offense or outright stalling. these strategies can go far and can be full of surprises, but neither can really cut it as far as winning consistently goes. it is possible, though, because i've seen high ladder players stay high on the ladder. i think because the meta is so young, most players are still very experimental, and eventually it will be more centralized to things like politoed or whatever.

here are random threats i run into that are already very good without team preview, but are buffed by the surprise factor of no team preview:
- espeon. never guarantees hazard/status setup
- scarf ditto. stops hyper offense teams in their tracks by using the opponent's setup against them.
- zoroark. not a great pokemon, but the mindgame of having him out is buffed without preview.
- absorbers. heatran, zapdos, jellicent, etc, the occasional sap sippers, even poison types absorbing tspikes. this type of selective defending and the increased variety of attackers makes it very difficult for any type of offensive strategy to cover everything. even great rain teams can be stopped cold by a well-placed toxicroak.
- po server in particular: rain + swim. it's really good and building a team in this tier on po server is just something entirely different when you have to attempt to build teams that can beat swift swimmers. doable though

i can see this metagame getting better in the future, once people are more and more aware of what are REAL threats and what's just getting hyped up. u-turn was extremely good in gen iv, so i can imagine volt switch being quite good in the future too. idk though, predicting metagames is difficult. however, i just know that the dw tier without preview is extremely different from what it is with team preview.

dwou, team preview on smogon, no rain+swim:
having the ability to scout beforehand allows more strategizing to be done before the match. lots of people bag on this because it takes away the intelligence involved with scouting... however i just think the scouting mindgames are transferred to lead-choosing mindgames and executing strategies that have been altered in preparation for opposing threats. the only reason i made it so far on dwou on smogon was because i played very intelligently for a good week or so by really really focusing on choosing my lead and establishing offensive momentum.

anyway, about the tier. like i said, threats can be prepared for. i'd admit lots of my pokemon weren't godly, but they had the tools to bust through lots of strategies. for example, i used nasty plot ninetales and qdance/hp ice lilligant to perform sweeps that my other much more common sweepers (loom, ken, cloyster) would not have been able to do. i think this tier might be more balanced and allows for more diversity because even the strongest threats can be strategically prepared for before the match even starts. there are MANY things you can know beforehand just by looking at the other person's team.

when they're gonna spore, what they're gonna switch out, what strategy they could possibly implement, etc. i cant say much about individual pokemon in this meta apart from weather inducers because besides them, the metagame is very diverse.

and thats what pretty much defines the dw ou metagame right now. this is what we call balance via power creep. the only reason marvel vs capcom 3 is balanced is because nearly every character can pull 100% combos. it's the same with pokemon bw. sooo many pokemon are out there that can sweep entire teams that it seems almost impossible to create just one team that can defeat all of them. we can complain about one or two pokemon, but maybe our team just isn't prepared to beat them.

so rather than talking about each pokemon's strengths in theorymon, it can also be productive to talk about each pokemon's relevant weaknesses in the tested metagames.

some examples...

beating ditto: a lot of times the best way to beat ditto is just to prevent it from coming out, and predicting it when it does. ditto's always scarfed so it's easy to know what it'll do when it comes out. just make sure that you have a sweeper out that can't kill itself (my hp ice lilligant says hi to hp dark ditto). or don't setup when you know the other guy who has ditto can use your +2 atk against you.

beating espeon: just don't use reflectable stuff at inopportune times. you can set up rocks against a team with espeon as long as you don't do it on the obvious turn. of course, this is impossible to do without team preview :p same with ditto (which is why ditto and espy are godlike on PO)

beating chandelure: revenge. scarf chandelure is made to do one thing and one thing really really well... get FREE KILLS. however its hard ttar weakness, weakness to all hazards, weakness to sucker punch/aqua jet... things like that make it not very hard to whittle down in the long run. if a team isn't prepared for it, that's the player's fault. it's nowhere near centralizing.

beating... conkeldurr: don't status it and attack its spdef in an attempt to ohko.

etc

etc

we can talk about sooooo many pokemon and it's just a matter of knowing how to beat them. also, i think defensive/offensive/balanced CORES are more important than talking about individual pokemon. talking about individual pokemon usually leads to complaints.

now to be a little more subjective...

yes i agree that rain + swim ban is lame LOL.

here's my opinion about dw abilities:

i wanna make a conjecture that....... game freak made them to allow more ordinary pokemon to compete in an environment with ubers included. their abilities certainly do bring lots of pokemon up to par with them. techloom? cloyster? chandelure? espeon? ditto? there are lots of pokemon now that can fight ubers.... ubers! many of whom got very lame dw abilities, or none at all.

oops cloyster doesn't even need its dw ability to tap.

edit: ^^^wow my post was much longer than i thought. tl;dr my views on dream world are not complaints. yay you guys get to hear the chokchokz kinda sorta not sound spammy^^^

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
People who complain about Swift Swim being banned are either crazy or miss being able to rack up free wins with Drizzle teams

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I'm just glad that I can use Espeon on a team and it'll be a very good choice.

Before I used it as my quirk since I like Espeon and Baton Pass. Now I get to use him, reflect that piece of **** Stealth Rock, and finally my boy Charizard can get back in the game.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I was about to say Moltres is better than Charizard, but then I remember Solar Power. I wonder if SubRoost Moltres could make use of Flame Body.

M3D

BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
Chok, I think those are good observations on the meta, based on what I've seen on Smogon forums and the people I've talked to about both major metas.

I think team preview actually makes a lot of sense with over 600 pogeys to worry about and so much power-creep hitting in the new gen. Shoot, 5 of the top 10 OUDW pokeés on PO are from Gen5. Just because scouting and information gathering was an important trait in earlier generations doesn't mean it HAS to be an important skill this generation. Being able to plan a long-term battle strategy from the preview can be just as much of a "skill" as making short-term decisions around the currently available information. In fact, it might strongly reduce the effectiveness of gimmicks since you can't get surprised and go "oh crap, I just sacrificed my ONLY counter to this new poke... GG"

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
chokater with a HUGE ****IN mafia type post

im in this thread because i thought the topic title sounded racist

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
PC, I choose you! Any suggestions for my ingame team?

I still feel awkward with my team. Here's what I've got

Herdier
-Dig
-Strength
-Crunch
-Leer

Planing on teaching it Wild charge and probably end up move tutoring Take Down.

Pignite
-Rock Smash
-Heat Crash
-Rollout
-Tail Whip

Palpitoad
-Mud shot
-Muddy Water
-Aqua Ring
-Supersonic

Pawniard
-Faint Attack
-Metal Claw
-Leer
-Psycho Cut

Solosis
-Psyshock
-Hidden Power (Grass)
-Reflect
-Recover.

I just feel the team's got fairly large weakness to ground and nothing to combat water. Still don't like Palpitoad but the only other water option I've got atm is the sea turtle, but that won't help with the grass issue. Only at the 5th gym, in regards to tm suggestions

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Just beat the game tonight, and caught a few legends and stuff and exploring every inch of this game. I haven't even made it to the next new town and I already feel like this is a lot of post game content @_@

M.K

Level 55
PC, I choose you! Any suggestions for my ingame team?

I still feel awkward with my team. Here's what I've got

Herdier
-Dig
-Strength
-Crunch
-Leer

Planing on teaching it Wild charge and probably end up move tutoring Take Down.

Pignite
-Rock Smash
-Heat Crash
-Rollout
-Tail Whip

Palpitoad
-Mud shot
-Muddy Water
-Aqua Ring
-Supersonic

Pawniard
-Faint Attack
-Metal Claw
-Leer
-Psycho Cut

Solosis
-Psyshock
-Hidden Power (Grass)
-Reflect
-Recover.

I just feel the team's got fairly large weakness to ground and nothing to combat water. Still don't like Palpitoad but the only other water option I've got atm is the sea turtle, but that won't help with the grass issue. Only at the 5th gym, in regards to tm suggestions
Herdier will quickly wear out it's welcome because Stoutland does not have the Attack power to take on the latter half of the game.

Here are your weaknesses:

Pignite: Water, Flying, Psychic, Ground
Palpitoad: Grass
Pawniard: Fighting, Ground
Solosis: Dark, Ghost

It seems that Ground is a common occurrence in your weaknesses, so maybe you could go with Swanna, Siglyph, or Tynamo with Levitate (which you can find in the very near future).

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Tynabro is absolutely a pain to raise. It's useful for the 6th gym if you give him the Eviolite, and if you are patient enough, it ends up being one of the best in game Pokes IMO. Mine singlehandedly took on half of Cynthia's team, including her Garchomp (all while under-leveled) among a lot of other accomplishments I can't remember atm. Coil + Zap Cannon/Thunder or Wild Charge too good.

If you want to combat Water/Ground better, however, I'd suggest Joltik/Ferroseed, which are in the same area. Won't help in dealing with Fighting/Fire, though. Water types in general in this game are pretty limited until post-game.

I personally liked Tirtouga the best, his typing helps out a lot up until the last Gym(if you teach it Blizzard). If you don't mind much, you could get someone to trade you something over early that'd help, like a Rufflet or Shelmet/Accelgor or something.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
He evolves earlier, can actually learn TMs, winds up being much faster(Tynamo gets slower after evolving) and CompoundEyes + Thunder is pretty good I hear.

Now that I think about it, Emolga would be pretty good as well for the time being. Not much usefullness after the next gym though.

M3D

BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
For the record, I took Emolga in my Black playthrough and its really weak. I actually agree with the Joltik/Ferroseed suggestion. Joltik won't just hit waters for you, it takes out fliers (who seem to have really annoying moves this generation) and it'll hit dark-types for SE with a STAB bug move. Dark is very prevalent in the late game so its a very good option, although you remain weak to ground. Fortunately there aren't a lot of Earthquake users in the E4 this time around. Ferroseed/thorn will deal with waters, dragons and can stall like a champ if you are struggling in a tough fight. Grass/Ground means you will get wrecked by a fire move, but it makes ground moves hit your for neutral damage and will hit back for SE with grass. Either option will work, but I agree with boxing Stoutland. It just tapers off too hard in the late game. It's really only useful for its Intimidate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom