• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash Grand Festival Spriting Contest (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Sorry for being a possible pain in the ***... but...

"You cannot change Fire to Flying and vice versa" means I can't do pure Fire or pure Flying, right? And it means nothing more than that?
Yes. It also means don't change it to Flying/Fire and then change it up to reflect this switch.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Fuelbi I think it might look good with some Gastly gas or something instead of black fire. Not necessarily the purple hue but you know what I mean.

canvasch

Smash Rookie
Here's what I currently have, a Bug Dragon Charizard. Still going to need some work though. I need to tweak the wings, I used Beedrill and Venomoth for inspiration but something doesn't look right.

I have a few suggestions for this one.

1. The eye is positioned in a way that makes it look like there is a weird bump on charizard's eye. The best word I can think of to describe that is "derpy"

2. Although the color schemes match, they are very similar shades of green, and when looked at when the sprite is normal sized it is hard to notice a difference.

3. I like the wings, but other than those and the eye there is really nothing interesting going on to set it apart. I'm not sure what should be added, but bug/dragon is a very cool concept, so I'm sure you can come up with something.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
**** it, all the cool people are doing it.

Pure Grass

A work in progress, still haven't touched the head or limbs yet. I don't really like how the wings turned out. The first time I tried it, I dithered a ton, but then I re-drew them since I wasn't really happy with the size. Still not quite sure about it, though. Working the veins for the leaf wings, but... ugh. Don't complain about the color pallet, I'm working on it.

EDIT: Also not sure about the chunk of tail that was blocked by Charizard's bottom left wing. Weird shading.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Can I cheat a little bit with specifics?

Charizard: Ice/Electric with Levitate.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I'll take that as a compliment.

Remember, I can't sprite for ****, so someone's gotta get a better idea out there... right?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Wave`s is simple, to the point, and just plain works. I think its pretty neat too.

This contest will pretty much come down to if the judges prefer simple or complicated, I`m going to guess.

Spire

III
BRoomer
It's going to come down to who follows the prompt best. Simplicity versus complexity is not an issue. It really depends on how you portray Charizard if differently typed. Effectiveness is key.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I better round up some friends to see if they can blindly identify that my sprite is an Ice/Electric retype of Charizard just to make sure I was effective, then. :3

Spire

III
BRoomer
Also, not sure if this was asked before, but if someone were to achieve the "Sprite Master" rank, would they still be allowed to continue submitting sprites and get critiqued? If I (or anyone else, really) were to get to that point and wanted to continue entering, I wouldn't want the Sprite Master to take away chances from other people to get/upgrade postbits.

Got something for the new prompt, should get it up within a few days.
Say you achieve Sprite Master and go on to win a contest. If no one ties with you, we'll award those who win 2nd place, but you would still be declared a winner of the round as well. For the Hall of Fame of course.
A Dark/Ghost Charizard would auto-lose this contest then right?
lol

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
I like it! What's the tip of the tail supposed to be, though?
Just a general end to a tail. Rather than having just fire there (which doesn't make sense outside of fire or will-o-wisp style) I decided on looking at some Snake like pokemon which are usually poison. Seviper had sort of a pointy end to his tail and I figured why wouldn't poisonzard?
The far fang is a bit unclear. I like the color scheme.
The far fang is supposed to be sort of hidden by the front fang. If you look at the body placement of 'zard. I moved it around and it looked very unnatural anywhere else.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Its because the point just sort of pops out of nowhere on the tail where it should glide from the tail into the edge, like Seviper's tail.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I guess another way of putting it is that it's a pretty rough transition from tail to tip.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
You can't use Fire. The prompt states that neither Fire or Flying can be used.
"Retype Charizard. Plain and simple, change Charizard's typing. You may change Fire, Flying, or both. However, you cannot change Fire to Flying and vice versa. You must choose any other type(s). Also, do not double-type Charizard as no Pokémon are double-typed (i.e. Ice/Ice). Lastly, you may drop a type so Charizard may end up either single or dual typed."

I'm confused by this... It says you may change Fire, Flying, or both. In my case I was choosing to change Flying. So if I'm allowed to change only the flying part, that means he would obv still be half fire...

M.K

Level 55

Introducing: Dark/Poison Charizard!

This may not be my final product. I'd like some critique on various aspects. I was going for like..."mutated sewer rat/bat" approach. The purple you see laced in between the hands/feet/on the head are poison-coursed veins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom