• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash Brothers - Series Discussion

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
Okay first I want to say that I love, I mean LOVE the Smash Brothers documentary. I mean I honestly got addicted to it for a while, I have probably seen it close to 20 times. Now that my confession is over I want to thank you. I knew about the competitive scene and lurked smashboards for years. The documentary actually got me out to my first tournament ever and got me truly involved with this incredible scene. So thank you.

If you do another then certainly I'd love to see episodes for Hungrybox, Armada and Dr.PeePee also some reference to Project M and Smash 4 WiiU/3DS would be cool. Though I totally trust your judgement.

Honestly Project M is my main tournament game. I discovered the documentary at the end of last year literally days after discovering Project M which happened to also be days before 3.0 was released. So seeing Project M in the next documentary would be awesome. I sort of connect the two for that reason because those 2 things together brought me into incredible scene.

Since starting tournaments I went back to Melee as my other game. (I have not played brawl since Project M 3.0) I actually beat event match 51 with no falls for the first time. Something I never thought I would do. My skills in Melee have improved so much because of Project M and my entrance to the tourney scene that I actually got 3rd place at my locals last week.

I am a very competitive person and the idea that I could be on par with the best of the best drives me at every event I go to. I say all this because I recently found this: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/eastpointpictures/the-smash-brothers-armada and I am very excited by it. Good luck with this, I'm in your corner!

Last edited:

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Someone mentioned focusing on ken's return. I think this idea would be better if ken was winning more often. He's made huge strides in adapting to the current meta, but he has a long way to go and there are more prominent players today that deserve more recognition. It would be cool to see some mention of his return, though.

Samox,
I know a lot of people are telling you to go with armada for the next smash, but if Dr PeePee wins MLG and Evo which I think he will, then it should definitely be about his rise. This would perserve the roughly chronological order of the documentary and keep it moving forward with smash history. PP destroyed M2K in a Marth ditto, he won Kings of Cali from losers when Hugs was scoffing at the possibility, and beat mango in a falco ditto in Apex 2014.
I want to see episodes for both PP and Armada. But you have to remember that Armada's domination came before PP's, so it would make sense to go with Armada first. Also, if PP wins EVO, having footage of that for whatever project samox is doing would be incredible.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Lol how does a pp episode keep it chronological, that still skips 2009-2012 when armada wasn't dropping a set in Europe, getting 2nd at his first American national and then winning 2 more before pp beats him once, then armada beats pp in europe. Pp beating m2k in a marth ditto was at a local the week after armada beat pp at apex. smh

Last edited:

Falco865

Smash Apprentice
If this is going on Netflix and stuff shouldnt it be a much more general documentary about the smash competitive scene as a whole and not just part 9 or whatever to the existing documentary? I feel like a 2 hour documentary on competitive smash in general on Netflix would bring a lot of people into the scene whereas a documentary about Armanda who isn't even one of the biggest names in smash would just be weird and confusing.

Shiv.

Smash Rookie
If this is going on Netflix and stuff shouldnt it be a much more general documentary about the smash competitive scene as a whole and not just part 9 or whatever to the existing documentary? I feel like a 2 hour documentary on competitive smash in general on Netflix would bring a lot of people into the scene whereas a documentary about Armanda who isn't even one of the biggest names in smash would just be weird and confusing.
That is assuming the single/biggest purpose of this documentary is to bring more people into the scene. Also, how is Armada NOT one of the biggest names in Smash?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Lol how does a pp episode keep it chronological, that still skips 2009-2012 when armada wasn't dropping a set in Europe, getting 2nd at his first American national and then winning 2 more before pp beats him once, then armada beats pp in europe. Pp beating m2k in a marth ditto was at a local the week after armada beat pp at apex. smh
?? pp beat him at pound 5 in 2011, two sets in GFs. armada's first US win was apex 2012.

Last edited:

Wing T

Smash Rookie
What? Armada was arguably the best player on the planet. There isn't a single person within the community that doesn't know him. Mango and PP are the only people in the last 5 years that could compare/equal him in success or notoriety and both are going to be heavily featured in the new doc.

Samox has already told us that it's not just about Armada but more so about the Armada/Mango rivalry, while also throwing in Dr. PP. So basically he's covering like 4-5 years worth of smash history. What would you prefer? For him to just remake the other doc?

Armada

Smash Lord
?? pp beat him at pound 5 in 2011, two sets in GFs. armada's first US win was apex 2012.
Strange, I happen to have the Genesis 2 belt.
Unless my memory works VERY bad I wanna remember that tournament was in the summer of 2011 ;)

But yeah Pound 5 was still before Genesis 2.

Falco865

Smash Apprentice
I phrased that the wrong way, Armanda is no doubt one of the biggest names in Smash. I just don't think he's on the same level of noterity as people like Ken and M2k, and hes not as big a personality as them which is why I don't understand having the one smash documentary on Netflix and Hulu and stuff be centered around him. No offense to Armanda at all, I think they should totally do a new
Part to the documentary featuring him, but if they're putting it on Netflix and stuff it should be a more general documentary and not part 9 of a documentary on YouTube that is like 8 hours long, that would just confuse people.

Last edited:

1MachGO

Smash Ace
Ken, M2K, Mango, and Armada are the only players that ever had an "era". Armada definitely deserves a segment in the documentary.

indyrenegade

Smash Cadet
I phrased that the wrong way, Armanda is no doubt one of the biggest names in Smash. I just don't think he's on the same level of noterity as people like Ken and M2k, and hes not as big a personality as them which is why I don't understand having the one smash documentary on Netflix and Hulu and stuff be centered around him. No offense to Armanda at all, I think they should totally do a new
Part to the documentary featuring him, but if they're putting it on Netflix and stuff it should be a more general documentary and not part 9 of a documentary on YouTube that is like 8 hours long, that would just confuse people.
Samox explained that it would be more of a feature film rather than a continuation of TSB. Aside from Armada, PP, and Mango, there's also Project M to cover- it was only briefly mentioned in the documentary. There's a lot of recent Smash history that did not get covered, but I imagine it won't just be tacked onto the end of the existing documentary.

Samox was questioning the Starcraft subreddit about Jaedong and SC II's side of esports the other day; it looks like it is part of a separate project but who knows where the Starcraft content may be going.
http://www.reddit.com/r/starcraft/comments/23s0w7/hi_rstarcraft_im_samox_and_i_want_to_interview/

Keebler

Smash Cadet
Congrats on getting funded for the Armada episode! Looking forward to seeing the modern top 5 covered. :D

Wing T

Smash Rookie
I know this veers a bit from the current discussion about the Armada doc, but did anyone else find it kind of odd that Samox made no mention of the fact that Isai is basically the best smash 64 player of all time in his episode?

I get that the doc was about melee and its basically assumed that he would be great at 64 since he loves it so much, but I think it would have given a more plausible explanation for why he left the scene. When I first watched the doc, I had no idea smash 64 had a competitive scene and that Isai was at the top of it. It would have also provided much needed context for his match with Captain Jack at the beginning of the episode. It almost makes it seem like he just showed up there to troll as opposed to being at the tourney primarily for 64.

Keebler

Smash Cadet
I know this veers a bit from the current discussion about the Armada doc, but did anyone else find it kind of odd that Samox made no mention of the fact that Isai is basically the best smash 64 player of all time in his episode?

I get that the doc was about melee and its basically assumed that he would be great at 64 since he loves it so much, but I think it would have given a more plausible explanation for why he left the scene. When I first watched the doc, I had no idea smash 64 had a competitive scene and that Isai was at the top of it. It would have also provided much needed context for his match with Captain Jack at the beginning of the episode. It almost makes it seem like he just showed up there to troll as opposed to being at the tourney primarily for 64.
I understood that he was the best 64 player in the world, I'm fairly certain they mention that he won APEX 2012 for Smash 64 in the doc.

Wing T

Smash Rookie
I understood that he was the best 64 player in the world, I'm fairly certain they mention that he won APEX 2012 for Smash 64 in the doc.
I don't think so, especially considering that he didn't win. He placed 2nd with his Link to Superboomfan.

samox

Smash Journeyman
@ Wing T Wing T - Yeah, there was never an elegant way to disclose that Isai was also a 64 God. Sometimes you just don't have the footage to make it happen and at the end of the day, it wasn't a priority - though the first part of the episode does have a commentator (his name escapes me right now) who mentions that "Isai just got off of Smash 64 so he's gotta remember a few things, y'know". Also, in the first segment of the audio only interview, the last question I ask him is "What keeps you playing 64 after all these years?"

They're subtle, but the clues to his other smash interests are there.

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
@ Wing T Wing T - Yeah, there was never an elegant way to disclose that Isai was also a 64 God. Sometimes you just don't have the footage to make it happen and at the end of the day, it wasn't a priority - though the first part of the episode does have a commentator (his name escapes me right now) who mentions that "Isai just got off of Smash 64 so he's gotta remember a few things, y'know". Also, in the first segment of the audio only interview, the last question I ask him is "What keeps you playing 64 after all these years?"

They're subtle, but the clues to his other smash interests are there.
Also Ken mentions that Isai wanted to money match him in 64 and Ken backed out when he saw how good Isai was at 64. It's definitely there. It just never came right out and said "Isai is the best 64 player in the world" but it didn't need to. I'm really interested to see your next project. I saw your first one after it was released so I missed the pleasure of the anticipation with each update. It's really cool that I'll get the chance to follow it as it's happening this time around.

OgiEthan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
OgiEthan
3DS FC
2766-9108-2825
The documentary was one of the best things I've ever seen. Absolutely unbelievable, and it never fails to bring a tear to my eye.

Last edited:

samox

Smash Journeyman
Aiming for a Netflix/Hulu/In Stores release. You'll definitely be able to find it. :)

SpiderMad

Smash Master
What was changed specifically in the Remastered version? I only saw the original release, is that still available anywhere? @ samox samox

Last edited:

Lobos

Smash Master
Great stuff, I just watched this and it was amazing being part of the smash history. Actually makes me want to start playing again!

samox

Smash Journeyman
Definitely will be selling DVDs.

@ SpiderMad - The remaster has better audio and a few tweaks here and there. You can read more about it in the FAQ. Both versions are available to watch at the East Point Pictures youtube channel.

@ Lobos Lobos - Do it! :)

GoodJobDino

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3067-6940-8635
I have not been able to be a part of the smash community, (hopefully some day). But this is one of my absolute favorite documentaries. I watch at least once every couple months. It makes me want to pick up and learn how to do all the fancy tricks. Wave dashing, DI, etc. I will forever sing the praises of this documentary.

mistgyu

Smash Rookie
Hi, I love this documentary and I want to show it to everyone so could it be possible to put subtitles in it?

Like in English and then in French?

I'm not a professional translator but I understand 90% of the audio when I'm focusing so PM me if you need help or just leave a message.

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
Hi, I love this documentary and I want to show it to everyone so could it be possible to put subtitles in it?

I'm not a professional translator but I understand 90% of the audio when I'm focusing so PM me if you need help or just leave a message.
That's a really good idea. That would help a lot of other people join our community. Doesn't matter if people speak different languages if we have the same goals :)

SoulOfKhaos

Smash Cadet
NNID
SoulKhaos

A group of people, me included, are working on it. It's advancing slowly but he pace is picking up though.

Top Bottom