• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"The Smash Brothers" Series: Calling All Collaborators

Battlecow

Play to Win
is there really that many 64 players who would donate to you :awesome:
64 isn't like melee. The number of people who think they're the best in the world but have no knowledge whatsoever of the competitive scene is literally in the tens of thousands. Everyone and their dog played 64 religiously with their brother and best friend and got "really good with ness, man, no, really, you don't even know." Killer combination of pride and ignorance. That + college town = all of the moneyz.

And I won the $400, but then I double or nothing'd it betting that I could 5-stock him and then suicided, so :(

Playing his "Really super duper good friend" on Friday tho, so maybe then.

Mr Wizzrobe

Smash Journeyman
64 isn't like melee. The number of people who think they're the best in the world but have no knowledge whatsoever of the competitive scene is literally in the tens of thousands. Everyone and their dog played 64 religiously with their brother and best friend and got "really good with ness, man, no, really, you don't even know." Killer combination of pride and ignorance. That + college town = all of the moneyz.

And I won the $400, but then I double or nothing'd it betting that I could 5-stock him and then suicided, so :(

That is probably the most truth ever spoken about Smash 64 that I think I've ever heard.

I met the exact same Ness player last week, and it took me like 20 minutes to convince him that his dair was worse than Falcon's. He actually got mad.

Anth0ny

Smash Master

LOL I met someone like this. Except replace Ness with Samus.

I won $200 off him in a money match. He kept doing double or nothing. The last game was double or nothing, 5 stocks, and he got to choose my character and I killed myself 4 times. I still won.

and I'm *** in Smash 64 compared to the real players. Pretty funny.

samox

Smash Journeyman
UPDATE 25: Juice Squeeze
Kickstarter Balance: $3,687.00
Paypal Balance: $382.59 (-$234.89 for Omni Light)
TOTAL FUNDING SO FAR: $4,000.67

Wee! Another 50 dollar donation from a brilliant person with a cool name (Konowa - I know right?!) puts us a hair over 4,000 total dollars donated. In my book, that's quite astonishing. Just over a month and a half ago we were starting this journey with no concept of how people would react - BAM. Like a Falcon YES.

Thanks again to all those who've donated already and thanks in advance to all you who I know will donate soon... right? :)

NEWS: I'm heading down TONIGHT to Fort Lee to conduct our FIRST OFFICIAL SHOOT - covering Concentrate 2. We'll give the gear a good warm up, getting interviews with some of the most influential smashers today. Looking forward to my first smash tournament in 8 years. :)

As most of you know, we're achingly close to the Kickstarter deadline, so all donations will be thoroughly appreciated to the last drop.

@ Battlecow: You are a hero dude. Sorry it didn't turn out sexy, but that's the way it happens sometimes. Your efforts were not undertaken without much cheering on from all of us. Thanks again.

You can watch tomorrow's live stream here: http://www.twitch.tv/8wayrun/

I know, I know... it's Brawl. Remember: It's just the warmup. :)

Much love to you all. I gotsta jet.

MORE TO COME!

EDIT: Kickstarter balance.

oliman

Smash Journeyman
what if we pay a lotta money in little quantities at a time? prolly answered already, but do we get the higher benefits?

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
It was nice meeting you at Concentrate Travis. If only I remembered it before you left I would have donated $5 but I didn't realize you wouldn't be staying for the end half of the tourney.

I'll try to figure out how I can donate online. Shouldn't be too hard :]

samox

Smash Journeyman
UPDATE 26: Derpa Derpa Ding Dong
Kickstarter Balance: $3,687.00
Paypal Balance: $512.59 (-$234.89 for Omni Light)
TOTAL FUNDING SO FAR: $4,199.67 <- Corrected

Awesome weekend of Smashiness! Thanks to everyone who showed up to Concentrate 2 and extra extra thanks to those who didn't mind me shoving a camera in their faces for the cause. I met some really cool people and got to watch some 1st class professionals up close and personal.

I will probably never embrace Brawl the way I have with 64 and Melee, but I have to say I'm very impressed. Playing Brawl, I was always struck with the slowness of movement, the lack of combos and the (of course) tripping. No one can convince me tripping is a good idea, but Thunder44 did give me a nice breakdown of why he enjoys it (Brawl... not tripping).

His point was that the metagame centers more around reads - making them and executing them - rather than connecting combos. I enjoy the combos myself (avoiding them and executing them), but it's nice to hear the "whys" of Brawl, if nothing more than to understand the focus of the game's greatest players.

I'll be putting up a video soon of some of the footage I've captured - maybe a few bits of interviews too.

Until then... courage.

MORE TO COME!

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
I just hope what I said is right lol

I mean, that's how I see the game, both when I play and when I'm watching matches. I feel brawl is more read-based than melee since one read won't lead to a great deal of damage, or even a stock. Imo dmbrandon explained it very well when we were talking.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
Not sure that I agree that it's more read-based. Both games are highly read-based, but here's how they differ. Brawl makes the game more about the volume of successful reads, versus the individual success of each one. In Melee, the significance of each read is higher. You may miss 10 reads in a row, but if you limit your exposure during those 10 and make the right read once, the game can turn. With Brawl, you have to turn the volume of reads around.

Very general-rule-ish, but that's my feeling on it.

Sephirothxxx

Smash Ace
NNID
Royzourboy
3DS FC
4313-2332-7958
Dude **** yes I will totally support this... once I come across some money. Melee is one of the best. I seriously hope this doesnt include anything Brawl, as I really hate that game.

samox

Smash Journeyman
UPDATE 27: Welcome New Credit Card Balance ($5047.00)
Kickstarter Balance: $3,863.00 <--- COMPLETE!
Paypal Balance: $512.59 (-$234.89 for Omni Light)
TOTAL FUNDING SO FAR: $4,375.59

Well, it's finally over.

Kickstarter funding is complete and thanks to some guy named Samox Jones, we're now rolling in dough... kinda.

Despite some last minute donations to Kickstarter, including a $150 drop, I had to step in and buy out the rest with credit cards.

All this really means is a tighter budget - I'm going to be asking the Smash Faithful for couches or floors to sleep on when I come to your town, instead of motels. Wherever possible, I will be trimming fat off travel expenses and the like.

I'm still hoping to find funding elsewhere, especially considering we've only raised a fraction of the bare-bones budget. BUT HEY: Robert Rodriguez subjected himself to medical experiments to raise funds for El Mariachi. I'm getting off light.

I'll begin sending out the bi-weekly production updates as unlisted youtube videos - strictly to those who have donated.

The first one is Nov. 14th.

More info to come soon, but right now: I'm off to have a drink. :)

Again, thanks to everyone who has donated! You can continue to donate to my paypal account, which is not subject to a time limit - and I will continue to honor the donation rewards (though the $150 "insert me into the series" award is now done; sorry) - $25 gets you the series, $50 gets you the Exclusive DVD with extra content.

MORE TO COME!

EDIT: Paypal account: thesmashbrosmovie@gmail.com

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Wow, you actually put yourself in debt. dude =(

I really hope you get a lot more donations so you don't have to suffer financially for doing such a good thing man. I know I'll be donating again after getting a little more money from a tourney this coming weekend to help out. =)

good luck with the project! I'm excited to see where it goes.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
Technically, as he points out, the overall budget is just going to shrink. He spent money, that then comes back to him (minus the 10% cut to Kickstarter), so he won't end up with debt, per se.

Unless the project goes overbudget. Travis, feel free to reach out to me if there's anything else I can do that will save you travel time, expenses, and money.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
I can definitely get you housing during Apex. No charge. It might be floorspace, but I'll at least get you some blankets. :3

erbanez

Smash Apprentice
Good luck man, and I hope that all the hard work you put into it truly makes this a masterpiece (:

Wiggins

Smash Ace
I got an error in my email today about my payment for the kickstarter. I thought that what I pledged before was already taken out of my account when I pledged. Apparently not, though. I'll have the money for the kickstarter on thursday night. Sorry about that.

Zoler

Smash Ace
Much love to Zoler for the donation! Keep 'em coming guys.
Totally missed this :p NP! <3 Anyways I really hope you get enough donations for this! Too awesome really, everyone should donate IMO

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Oh when you guys here this update and who ELSE we are trying to get your minds will be blown.

All I will say is if we all pull this together and get this one person ( who is as big as ISAI ) he will blow your minds :)

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
now im getting the feeling it might be someone like Captain Jack or Bombsoldier :V

Top Bottom