• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash 3C Project - PM alts, recolors, and more!

Zarx1554

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zarx1554
Hello every one. i did my first render on Blender.
You have opinions on it ?
Good pose, and nice render, but it could be improved. Is Ambient Occlusion on? It doesn't have that luster that the other Smash 3 Renders have. The eyes are kinda weird not looking at the camera, but I usually edit them anyways.The textures on the model look low quality, like they're compressed from the .pac or .pcs. You also might want multiple size renders, one small for CSPs, this size for download cards, and a huge one for wallpapers. (The big one will take a LONG time to get all of the costumes.). Other than that it's a pretty good render.
Here's a good example between the differences of ambient occlusions being on and off.

ProjectBrawl7

Smash Ace
Marth is rimlit already.
Also, lucario has a rimlight bug so he cant be rimlit.
When you're done giving these people CSPs and rimlight, make sure to make a banner for each because i suck at banners and im too lazy lol.
Also, Brawl Sonic is being redone right now.
The Semi Alts like Knuckles, Scourge, and Nights won't be included in the pack.However, they will be released separately.
Doing this to avoid doing too much work.

Last edited:

Cynapse

Smash Ace
Marth is rimlit already.
Also, Brawl Sonic is being redone right now.
The Semi Alts like Knuckles, Scourge, and Nights won't be included in the pack.However, they will be released separately.
Doing this to avoid doing too much work.
*skull goes Ghost Rider*

Layell

Smash Journeyman

This is on the s3 mario I know, but you can fix this easy just fill in more of the pants texture on the blank space

Last edited:

ledgerewskie

Smash Journeyman
Good job. I was going to say what Layell said, about the leg seam. You should fix that, and the helmet looks a little too saturated, as well.

Other than that, he looks really nice in-game, though you might want to do something about the render, particularly on his arms and hands. In blender, with his hand selected, try clicking on on the Modifiers tab (it's in the same row as Render options, Material options, etc) and click Add Modifier>Subdivision Surface. You might have to fiddle around with this option. Sometimes you'll have to just edit the mesh or edit it in Photoshop/Gimp, though.

Zarx1554

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zarx1554
Good job. I was going to say what Layell said, about the leg seam. You should fix that, and the helmet looks a little too saturated, as well.

Other than that, he looks really nice in-game, though you might want to do something about the render, particularly on his arms and hands. In blender, with his hand selected, try clicking on on the Modifiers tab (it's in the same row as Render options, Material options, etc) and click Add Modifier>Subdivision Surface. You might have to fiddle around with this option. Sometimes you'll have to just edit the mesh or edit it in Photoshop/Gimp, though.
Thanks, I'll update it when I find time.

Mach 7.6

Smash Rookie
Thanks, I'll update it when I find time.
Hey Zarx, I'm trying to render models in blender but the .dae file won't appear nor will it scale. I'm trying to make the transition from making renders in BrawlBox to Blender and I'm really new to all this. Can you help me out? I'd really appreciate it.

Here's one of the models I'm using:

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
Oh lord, the hair is a pain in the ass to get right... the transition from Brawlbox to 3DS Max or Blender is tough but the quality is so worth it.

Zarx1554

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zarx1554
Hey Zarx, I'm trying to render models in blender but the .dae file won't appear nor will it scale. I'm trying to make the transition from making renders in BrawlBox to Blender and I'm really new to all this. Can you help me out? I'd really appreciate it.

Here's one of the models I'm using:
I've had that problem too. I'm not sure how it works. I'm also not the guy you probably want to ask. I still have to go to the tutorial a load of times.

Mach 7.6

Smash Rookie
I've had that problem too. I'm not sure how it works. I'm also not the guy you probably want to ask. I still have to go to the tutorial a load of times.
Well, I'm only interested in knowing just how to produce renders, so...wanna talk about this over Skype? I never liked conversations on thread boards...

SylveonGives

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys! Sorry I haven't been on, internet was shut down and had no WiFi but now I'm back and I'm also working on a few things such as NES Golf Mario (White Seam is fixed) and NES Golf Luigi they'll be finished soon but I need to match them with the Official Smash 3 Pose

Zarx1554

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zarx1554
Hey guys! Sorry I haven't been on, internet was shut down and had no WiFi but now I'm back and I'm also working on a few things such as NES Golf Mario (White Seam is fixed) and NES Golf Luigi they'll be finished soon but I need to match them with the Official Smash 3 Pose
You should make your own pose. It's apparently a long process to get the matching pose perfectly for a render. There's no need to bother putting so much work until the update. Good thing about that is that you get to be really creative.

Last edited:

SylveonGives

Smash Journeyman
You should make your own pose. It's apparently a long process to get the matching pose perfectly for a render. There's no need to bother putting so much work until the update. Good thing about that is that you get to be really creative.
Alright, I'll make my own poses! I'll also try to use Blender again

SylveonGives

Smash Journeyman
Alright pretty much understand Blender, but how do I move the camera around to view the front of the character and zoom in/out?

Last edited:

Mach 7.6

Smash Rookie
Yup, it's explained in the Render tutorial in the OP
How do you do it exactly? Because when I export it as a .dae, then imoport it into Blender, nothing happens. And yes, I know that the tutorial mentions that it won't be visible because its too small, but it won't scale at all. I believe it's something with exporting from BrawlBox, but idk really. I'm wondering how exactly do you do it?

SylveonGives

Smash Journeyman
How do you do it exactly? Because when I export it as a .dae, then imoport it into Blender, nothing happens. And yes, I know that the tutorial mentions that it won't be visible because its too small, but it won't scale at all. I believe it's something with exporting from BrawlBox, but idk really. I'm wondering how exactly do you do it?
Oh well, i did it like that but it might depend on the versions of Brawlbox and Blender, i used Brawlbox .76 and blender 2.75 (I'm pretty sure)

Layell

Smash Journeyman
Here is a small thing I worked on for a bit in between textures: http://imgur.com/a/ytqOn

I'll be doing the poses the characters do at the title screen clip. Already I have most of the characters poses done, I'm just going to wait on S3 finishing for producing them all, perhaps fine tune my lighting as well. Those ones are already in my HD pack. For the most part they are the same unless it's not possible or ugly otherwise (for example Marth has no bones in his sword hand, so I kept his sword out, the original has it sheathed).

Last edited:

Juken

Smash Ace
Here is a small thing I worked on for a bit in between textures: http://imgur.com/a/ytqOn

I'll be doing the poses the characters do at the title screen clip. Already I have most of the characters poses done, I'm just going to wait on S3 finishing for producing them all, perhaps fine tune my lighting as well. Those ones are already in my HD pack. For the most part they are the same unless it's not possible or ugly otherwise (for example Marth has no bones in his sword hand, so I kept his sword out, the original has it sheathed).
So you're going to make a S3 version of the title screen cinematic?

If so, won't it need that whole PM/Brawl banner that shows at the end of it or will you use the smash 3 banner?

Last edited:

Mach 7.6

Smash Rookie
Oh well, i did it like that but it might depend on the versions of Brawlbox and Blender, i used Brawlbox .76 and blender 2.75 (I'm pretty sure)
Ok, it turns out it was the model itself that was the problem, so I just used a different one. GBC_Dot's Classic Link. With updated textures from yours truly. Thanks for the help and the tutorials. I'm gonna upload this to the Vault in a bit, so you can grab it if you so wish.

Jmanthesmasher683

Smash Journeyman
Ok, it turns out it was the model itself that was the problem, so I just used a different one. GBC_Dot's Classic Link. With updated textures from yours truly. Thanks for the help and the tutorials. I'm gonna upload this to the Vault in a bit, so you can grab it if you so wish.

Oh man that looks great!

SylveonGives

Smash Journeyman

Wow this looks amazing! Can't wait!

Mach 7.6

Smash Rookie
Ok, Classic Link's up in the Brawl Vault. I hope you enjoy it as much as I had fun making it.

Wing Zero

Smash Apprentice

god dAMN LOOK AT THAT BOOTY

Last edited:

Layell

Smash Journeyman
So you're going to make a S3 version of the title screen cinematic?

If so, won't it need that whole PM/Brawl banner that shows at the end of it or will you use the smash 3 banner?
I really just plan on changing the character renders, since they are just still images.. I probably could do that too but I'm not sure how much I want to mess around with that.

god dAMN LOOK AT THAT BOOTY
It's accurate too B ) http://www.spriters-resource.com/fullview/1233/

Kenmak

Smash Rookie
Hi all, i finished improve my render.

Now the textures are good quality
The eyes is better
Little change for the cape
Hight resolution
Factor occlusion is highter

^^

Last edited:

Wing Zero

Smash Apprentice

The eyes is better
Hight resolution

^^
i like it but the pose in mach 7.6's render is much closer to the artwork

blerb

Smash Journeyman

The eyes is better
Hight resolution

^^
Looks great. However, he currently looks very villainous. Lighting from the bottom tends to make characters look 'evil' or unsettling. Conversely, When the light is shining down on characters, it tends to create a softer look, more protagonistic.

Food for thought. Experiment with that in mind and see what kind of look you get.

Top Bottom