• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash 3C Project - PM alts, recolors, and more!

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
I've been working on a thing.
@ Nezha the Scout Nezha the Scout , have you made any progress on his rimlighting issues? I understand if you've been too busy, it's just that I have bigger problems with his Final Smash. It completely glitches over the screen, and this did not happen before I applied rimlighting to him.
I am sorry.

not yet, Im starting my second year of university tomorrow. I been busy with paperwork. You know, homework before classes even start... sucks. I'll look at him later today, I noticed that he is different than all the rest.

Taiko

Smash Ace
On Toon Link: yeah the new Toon Link is completely redone from the ground up. Not only that, we made everything shiny like everything else in the update...as for what that even means, you'll all find out.

I can't tell from my phone, but how much did you retexture from scratch? Because that'll make editing the neck way easier.

the101

Smash Journeyman
Outside Bandai Namco Studios with Binoculars...
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
I am sorry.

not yet, Im starting my second year of university tomorrow. I been busy with paperwork. You know, homework before classes even start... sucks. I'll look at him later today, I noticed that he is different than all the rest.
I completely understand, and it's good to see that you have priorities with getting set at your university before anything else. Take your time, and good luck.

Taiko

Smash Ace
I've been working on a thing.
@ Nezha the Scout Nezha the Scout , have you made any progress on his rimlighting issues? I understand if you've been too busy, it's just that I have bigger problems with his Final Smash. It completely glitches over the screen, and this did not happen before I applied rimlighting to him.
I forgot to post about this, have you tried simplifying his eye texture? It sorta stands out as it is now. Like maybe a solid red dot with a shadow or glow on the edges.

the101

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
I forgot to post about this, have you tried simplifying his eye texture? It sorta stands out as it is now. Like maybe a solid red dot with a shadow or glow on the edges.
I was honestly not too happy with the original eye texture, so I made this one awhile back, but did not test it.
It's not a red dot. Instead I tried to match what Dry Bowser's eyes look like in official artwork. That being said, they may not look very good when applied to the rimlit model. If all else fails I could simply tone down the brightness so that they wouldn't appear as striking.
The eyes honestly have been the hardest thing to get with this model, and there was a certain menacing quality with the original PM model that I'd like to recapture, so a red dot probably is the way to go. That being said, I want to at least test this design once.

Last edited:

Taiko

Smash Ace
I was honestly not too happy with the original eye texture, so I made this one awhile back, but did not test it.
It's not a red dot. Instead I tried to match what Dry Bowser's eyes look like in official artwork. That being said, they may not look very good when applied to the rimlit model. If all else fails I could simply tone down the brightness so that they wouldn't appear as striking.
The eyes honestly have been the hardest thing to get with this model, and there was a certain menacing quality with the original PM model that I'd like to recapture, so a red dot probably is the way to go. That being said, I want to at least test this design once.

How about this? I quickly whipped it up so I haven't tested it at all (and I lack access to the model right now)

Have you tried making the armbands redder as well? I'm basing it off that one piece of official artwork.

Last edited:

the101

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738

How about this? I quickly whipped it up so I haven't tested it at all (and I lack access to the model right now)

Have you tried making the armbands redder as well? I'm basing it off that one piece of official artwork.
That eye looks perfect, but I'm not too surprised, coming from you. Thank you.
In looking back at official artwork, I think having the metal bands be a bit redder is a good idea. I think it would reflect his appearances in the Mario series better. However, you should know that the render I posted does not reflect how he looks ingame. The model is rimlit. Here's how he looks ingame.
I'm not the best at screenshots...
Do you think the gold spikes are a bit much? I got the idea from Bowser's gray pallete swap in Smash 4. (Regardless of whether they look nice or not, I do plan to go back and touch up the texture. They look kinda choppy to me.)

Last edited:

Crixler

Smash Journeyman
I don't see why it can't be posted since Ocarina of Time Link and Mr L are also going to be outdated
I think the only thing from OoT Link that will be needing an update once the new Smash 3 TP Link comes out is the sheath and possibly parts of the blade. Other than that, it wasn't actually based on TP Link.
You do have a good point about Mr. L, though.

Taiko

Smash Ace
That eye looks perfect, but I'm not too surprised, coming from you. Thank you.
In looking back at official artwork, I think having the metal bands be a bit redder is a good idea. I think it would reflect his appearances in the Mario series better. However, you should know that the render I posted does not reflect how he looks ingame. The model is rimlit. Here's how he looks ingame.
I'm not the best at screenshots...
Do you think the gold spikes are a bit much? I got the idea from Bowser's gray pallete swap in Smash 4. (Regardless of whether they look nice or not, I do plan to go back and touch up the texture. They look kinda choppy to me.)
Yes, I'd base it more off the official artwork and keep them white. Gold could be used for an interesting recolour, though.

I also have an idea of how to fix the rim bug, message me and I can tell you how.

Last edited:

ProjectBrawl7

Smash Ace
Even though im making a smash 3c PM alt recolors of sonic, they might have shoe recolors instead of the actual shoes and they might not be rimlight.

Last edited:

Crixler

Smash Journeyman
Do you mean the Shadow, Silver, and Tails semi-alts? Didn't the Smash 3 team already include recolors of those? Acually, I just checked, I guess they never did the Tails one. They did already do Shadow and Silver, though.
Edit: and if you build it off of a Smash 3 pac/pcs, it will be rimlit, fear not.

Last edited:

ProjectBrawl7

Smash Ace
No, i wasnt going to use the smash 3 alts. I was builting it right off from the PM semi-alts and the smash 3 team only did the bracelets.

Crixler

Smash Journeyman
Ohh, I see what you're saying now. In case you're unaware, somewhere there should be an older version of Smash 3 Sonic that uses the Brawl model, the textures from that one should be compatible with the PM semi-alts. I'm not sure where to find it, though.

Also, the Shadow semi-alt was already done by Ledge, though it's not rimlit yet or on the OP yet or anything. But Tails and Silver have not been done yet. Once you do Tails and Silver, I think I'll rimlight all three, and they could probably be released as a pack.

ProjectBrawl7

Smash Ace
I will do tails and silver. Those are like a piece of cake. They will be ready tomarrow. I gotta get ready for school so good night.

ProjectBrawl7

Smash Ace
I stayed up a little bit more so I was gonna say, I might include a surprise in the Semi Alt pack... EDIT: sorry for the double post..my iPod wouldn't let me edit but I got on my laptop to edit so...

Last edited:

Crixler

Smash Journeyman
So I decided on a way to include things like Aghanim's Toon Links, and other soon-to-be-outdated mods. Links to them are provided in the Status List for people who want them to tide them over until the big update. They won't be added to the OP, unless the character in question is only getting minor changes in the update. Mr. L will remain on the OP, because it's already got a sexy banner, and judging by the preview pics of Mario's update, any changes to Luigi will be fairly minor, unlike Toon Link.

Juken

Smash Ace
Do you mean the Shadow, Silver, and Tails semi-alts? Didn't the Smash 3 team already include recolors of those? Acually, I just checked, I guess they never did the Tails one. They did already do Shadow and Silver, though.
Edit: and if you build it off of a Smash 3 pac/pcs, it will be rimlit, fear not.
Even though they did do thosein the form of recolors, they lack the unique shoes (and I thinkg gloves/eyes) that the new PM alts have. I think it'd be safe to bet that chopping those pices off the PM model and putting them onto the rimlit Smash 3 model is harder to do than rimlighting the originals, at least from the perspective of someone who's not experienced with either.

ProjectBrawl7

Smash Ace
Even though they did do thosein the form of recolors, they lack the unique shoes (and I thinkg gloves/eyes) that the new PM alts have. I think it'd be safe to bet that chopping those pices off the PM model and putting them onto the rimlit Smash 3 model is harder to do than rimlighting the originals, at least from the perspective of someone who's not experienced with either.
Lets do both. I cant copy and paste the polygons and rig them but somebody can.

Crixler

Smash Journeyman
Indeed. I think until someone awesome with awesome modelings skills does something awesome and gives the Smash 3 model the different shoes, there should be two options in the meantime: S3 model recolors and PM models with S3 textures. Options are good.

ledgerewskie

Smash Journeyman
Hi guys, this is my first post there. I have been following this thread since it began. Recently after I found that Crixler and Alerion had added the Rim effect to Outset and Condctor Toon Link I decided to give to them smash 3 styled textures.
I wanted to give you some pics of them in action, but my computer it's not enough powerfull to handle dolphin and giving pics of a TV running PM seems a bad idea.
- It's my first brawl texture mod I have ever done so be nice lol.
- can someone test if conductor toon link has issues on his neck/skin color? (or at least in BrawlBox it seems so). If someone wants to do better CSPs/BPs of Link feel free to post them.

Here's the DL :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h46w2i1tvn0d0yo/Smash 3 Toon Link Alts.zip
The Toon Links look great, and he should be added to the OP soon. But there is an issue with the hair that I noticed. It has transparency underneath when you look at it from an angle. I don't have access to BrawlBox right now so I can't verify, but I imagine it's an issue with your texture.

Fix that up gogogo.

I would also redraw some of the elements of his outfits, like the chicken emblem on his hat, and the lobster thing on his back. This should all be fairly easy to update with the Smash 3 update too, especially if they post the .psd for Toon Link (please?!).

Last edited:

Aghanim

Smash Apprentice
Sorry for the late responce guys but I wasn't able to fix the conductor link neck issue, but I provided a quick (and lazy) fix for him.

I think the outset link model handles the textures in a different way since it doesn't have problems for the neck texture part:

I also tried to improve the textures of Conductor link a bit, like his helmet.

Here's the DL: https: //www .dropbox . com/s/30zbb95suc7p98e/Smash%203%20Toon%20Link%20Alts%20ver%202 . zip?dl=0
Please remove the spaces (I can't post links yet)

in this zip I updated the textures of conductor link (it still glitches on his neck) and added a new conductor model with a blue shirt for fixing that (quickfix). I also added better CSPs

- I didn't draw to scratch alot, most of textures are recolors/fusion of original and smash3 textures. for the skin I simply edited the original texture like that: http: //s17 . postimg . org/5u9wtsk5r/skin . png

- The hair glitch ledgerewskie posted needs more investigation...

Last edited:

NintenNess

Smash Journeyman
I'm not going to work on anything until Friday, because of middle school exams, and Karate. While I'm not active, hands off of Travis, please.

Last edited:

Taiko

Smash Ace
Sorry for the late responce guys but I wasn't able to fix the conductor link neck issue, but I provided a quick (and lazy) fix for him.

I think the outset link model handles the textures in a different way since it doesn't have problems for the neck texture part:

Here's the DL: https: //www .dropbox . com/s/30zbb95suc7p98e/Smash%203%20Toon%20Link%20Alts%20ver%202 . zip?dl=0

in this zip I updated the textures of conductor link (it still glitches on his neck) and added a new conductor model with a blue shirt for fixing that (quickfix). I also added better CSPs

- I didn't draw to scratch alot, most of textures are recolors/fusion of original and smash3 textures. for the skin I simply edited the original texture like that: http: //s17 . postimg . org/5u9wtsk5r/skin . png

This could either be a UV or normals issue, does it do this with base colours (flat colours) as well?

ProjectBrawl7

Smash Ace
Speaking of sonic alt, even though theres a rimlight jet set sonic with smash 3 textures and brawl model, it be awesome if somebody knew how to put the clothes on the smash 3 sonic model.

ledgerewskie

Smash Journeyman
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/a2ihgtum4e13txq/AABNA4nS9r7XHLrE736JQbJCa?dl=0
Finished. Theres also a semi-alt knuckles, espio and boom sonic.
What exactly is this that you posted? I am on Linux so I can't really use BrawlBox very well, but I can see that the textures are still the default PM textures, and the models crash my game.

Here's the DL: https://www.dropbox.com/s/30zbb95suc7p98e/Smash 3 Toon Link Alts ver 2.zip?dl=0

To be honest, I think he actually looks better with the lazy fix, even if that's inaccurate to the source material.

Last edited:

ProjectBrawl7

Smash Ace
The textures are brighten and how does the models crash your game? Which ones?
Also, tails recolor gotten a much more yellow texture to his fur, more white texture to his gloves and his shoes look much better. Same with silver recolor. Also, they are not rimlight yet.

Last edited:

ledgerewskie

Smash Journeyman
The textures are brighten and how does the models crash your game? Which ones?
Also, tails recolor gotten a much more yellow texture to his fur, more white texture to his gloves and his shoes look much better. Same with silver recolor. Also, they are not rimlight yet.
Making things in Smash 3 style means more than brightening the textures or messing with the color. You'll have to redraw parts and use some of the S3 textures. That's why I PM'd you the Smash 3 textures for Brawl Sonic.

I tried at least three different models and they all crashed. Did you test them in-game?

Last edited:

The Incinerator

Smash Cadet
Yes, I'd base it more off the official artwork and keep them white. Gold could be used for an interesting recolour, though
I don't know if you have changed the spikes yet but I just wanted to say I actually kinda like the gold spikes, they give him a little flair. I do see Taiko's point however that they should match the original artwork and I'd love a recolour that uses the gold spikes but would it be possible to also include the classic dry bowser like you have him with the gold spikes as an optional alt? Whatever you decide to do though I'll definitely be downloading this when you release it and if you do decide to give this option it would just be a bonus.

ledgerewskie

Smash Journeyman

Aghanim

Smash Apprentice
This could either be a UV or normals issue, does it do this with base colours (flat colours) as well?
I checked if this neck glitched with primary colours so I tried a primary blue on his face and neck, and it still glitched. then I went to check with flat colors, I copied the "emerald" color on http:// flatuicolors. com/ . I got same results on the neck.

Taiko

Smash Ace
That is for sure a normals issue, it's not too difficult to fix in 3DS Max...but I guess that's the issue here, isn't it?

Last edited:
Top Bottom