• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash 3 Project - All Characters Released

Should we release our source PSDs?

• Yes

Votes: 21 91.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Dark Knight1965

Smash Journeyman
So, you guys like teasers? How about two teasers in one?!

Trophies! And...Samus?! We keep saying this, but the next update really will be a big one!

That Ridley's just a trophy folks, nothing to get excited about. The textures are straight from Other M if you think we're kidding around here. The trophy will come in the download, though.

I totally didn't stay up to make a Ridley trophy. Nope.
This is amazing! Even if we already have an hd samus model, I'll let you adopt my brother. Jk lol. Anyway when do you think this is all going to come out?

Cahalan

Smash Ace
If this update comes out on the 12th, I'll be the happiest man alive...
(and 16)

Also, check out my signature! My little patch is now on Brawl Vault...

Last edited:

Taiko

Smash Ace
Other M/Smash 4 Samus by the smash 3 Team?... have my babies!
10/10, has Samus in it, best teaser
let the christmas drop earlier so we can all have a peaceful end of the year staring at your work

PD: how do you edit the trophy descriptions? and btw there's a typo (rasied instead of raised, and is it just me or that last paragraph sounds weird? (sorry i just Metroid-fangasmed over that post <3))
Thanks for pointing that out! These descriptions are not final in any way, otherwise Ridley's would be like this:

I've always liked her Prime 2/3 design best, and wasn't initially all that excited to hear you guys would be doing an Other M/Smash 4 version... But you're winning me over, that looks great.
We have another version based off the Brawl suit for those that want it, different team members worked on it though.

This is amazing! Even if we already have an hd samus model, I'll let you adopt my brother. Jk lol. Anyway when do you think this is all going to come out?
Good question...not sure!

Shiro_Neku

Smash Cadet

Trophies! And...Samus?! We keep saying this, but the next update really will be a big one!

That Ridley's just a trophy folks, nothing to get excited about. The textures are straight from Other M if you think we're kidding around here. The trophy will come in the download, though.

I literally had the same idea a couple of days ago but I couldn't do it because I don't know how to do it, I know what file to replace to make the trophy change but I don't know if you have to rig it in some special way because as far as I know the trophy already have that pose, if you don't mind would you tell me how to do it?

I'm guessing that you're going to replace all the regular characters trophies but are you also going to replace the Final Smash trophy or just the regular trophy?

Taiko

Smash Ace
Does this mean you will replace the SSE Ridley? Or just the trophy? It looks awesome, either way.
As stated in the original post, it is just a trophy. The bonesets are too different.

I literally had the same idea a couple of days ago but I couldn't do it because I don't know how to do it, I know what file to replace to make the trophy change but I don't know if you have to rig it in some special way because as far as I know the trophy already have that pose, if you don't mind would you tell me how to do it?

I'm guessing that you're going to replace all the regular characters trophies but are you also going to replace the Final Smash trophy or just the regular trophy?
Yes, we will be replacing the Final Smash trophies with alternate palettes of the Smash 3 costumes:

The descriptions will go into detail about certain design decisions, as well as credit people who worked on the character.

As for actually making these things work, you need to import a trophy model, then delete everything but these 4 bones:

Import your posed model, delete the bones that come with it, then rig everything to rotN. Rigging to TopN will cause the model to stay focused on the camera, so this could be useful for effects!

Has the Smash 3 Team reworked on Link yet?
Yes, but not publicly yet. Funny you mention it, because we were just working on him a bit today,

Last edited:

Damonj17

Smash Apprentice
I really hope that a flying mario is the mario alt trophy. And maybe Waluigi for luigi's alt.

Shiro_Neku

Smash Cadet
As stated in the original post, it is just a trophy. The bonesets are too different.

Yes, we will be replacing the Final Smash trophies with alternate palettes of the Smash 3 costumes:

The descriptions will go into detail about certain design decisions, as well as credit people who worked on the character.

As for actually making these things work, you need to import a trophy model, then delete everything but these 4 bones:

Import your posed model, delete the bones that come with it, then rig everything to rotN. Rigging to TopN will cause the model to stay focused on the camera, so this could be useful for effects!

Yes, but not publicly yet. Funny you mention it, because we were just working on him a bit today,
Thanks this will definitely be useful, also I like that the trophy you get with clearing All-Star mode is a recolor with a different pose just like in Smash 4

Crixler

Smash Journeyman
We have another version based off the Brawl suit for those that want it, different team members worked on it though.
Options are nice, but tbh, I think I'll stick with the Smash 4 version. I don't know why I'm suddenly liking it so much. The quality is just too good, I can't believe I'm not looking at Smash 4.

Edit: Also, keep that Ridley trophy text.

Last edited:

Layell

Smash Journeyman
That Samus model is looking lovely, although for what it is worth I've been patiently working on my own Metroid Prime suit Samus in the Smash 3 style. It probably won't look nearly as good since the textures are a bit smaller, Gamecube model and all. But I am happy with some of the progress I have been making. Will probably use the released version as a reference for colours and some shading.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Wait, you finally got metal to work on it?!

Nice!
that part was thanks to Ashingda, he had to import his custom assets on the smash 3 model; which would allow for metal to work. The forum thread was also given a facelift:

http://smashboards.com/threads/upda...-patch-ver-3-0-now-on-brawl-vault-too.371223/

However I'm now conflicted between using Triforce ganondorf or the Ocarina Ganondorf moveset made by Drogoth.

Well this is getting creepy because I will be 16 on 12 too 0_o

Also how much will the smash 3 will weight (more than pm?)
HOW MANY OF US ARE BORN ON DECEMBER 12TH, THIS IS GETTING CRAZY!!!!!

Last edited:

Cahalan

Smash Ace
To the Smash 3 team I have an important question, can we install this mod when it's finished while keeping the official wifi addon intact?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

Didn't you already made kinda sorta Smash 3 Samus, but not officially Smash 3? Anyway, that Other M Ridley looks nice even if it is a direct rip from Other M. But why is he here if boss Ridley you will most likely get this trophy for is still Brawl Ridley?
Thanks for pointing that out! These descriptions are not final in any way, otherwise Ridley's would be like this:
Curl up his tail because it goes too far. Maybe his Smash 4 pose would be better. Now i need to know how you make those...Oh, and description is too small for Ridley.

Last edited:

Tailsmiles249

Smash Apprentice
Another random render! Any Hyperdimension Neptunia fans here? This character has no games friends.

Credit to Hero©, RandomToothBush, and DSX8 for the model.

Last edited:

Taiko

Smash Ace
I have a friend that's has a birthday incoming on the 12th funny enough haha!
I...have a friend with a birthday on the 12th too. Oh man.

To the Smash 3 team I have an important question, can we install this mod when it's finished while keeping the official wifi addon intact?
You can't use multiple mods at once?

Didn't you already made kinda sorta Smash 3 Samus, but not officially Smash 3? Anyway, that Other M Ridley looks nice even if it is a direct rip from Other M. But why is he here if boss Ridley you will most likely get this trophy for is still Brawl Ridley?

Curl up his tail because it goes too far. Maybe his Smash 4 pose would be better. Now i need to know how you make those...Oh, and description is too small for Ridley.
You might mean the other Samus we traded way back, that's the other one we'll have available.

But the Ridley pose goes with the description!
Really, the Ridley trophy is a small joke we just threw together. Unlock conditions weren't thought about at all. If it bugs you, you can still delete the Ridley.brres file in toy/fig when we release.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
I...have a friend with a birthday on the 12th too. Oh man.

You can't use multiple mods at once?

You might mean the other Samus we traded way back, that's the other one we'll have available.

But the Ridley pose goes with the description!
Really, the Ridley trophy is a small joke we just threw together. Unlock conditions weren't thought about at all. If it bugs you, you can still delete the Ridley.brres file in toy/fig when we release.
You can, but I was wondering if Smash 3 and the Wifi addon (Which replaces the necessary files in the SD card from the launcher option) can work together. (just in case though check if the wifi addon changes anything in the common5.pac to be safe)

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
But why is he here if boss Ridley you will most likely get this trophy for is still Brawl Ridley?
Well, cuz if we do that, we must update all other bosses for consistency. Meaning each will have their textures and rimlights to them AND their weapons/ bullets and all of the sorts that makes a character approve with the standards smash3 delivers. Not even I can begin to imagine how long that would take.

I mean, we might end up smash3'ing every single SSE enemy if that happens. *shivers*

Curl up his tail because it goes too far.Oh, and description is too small for Ridley.
Yes. Thats the point. Its all about the humor.

Only expect that on our trophies descriptions.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Well, cuz if we do that, we must update all other bosses for consistency. Meaning each will have their textures and rimlights to them AND their weapons/ bullets and all of the sorts that makes a character approve with the standards smash3 delivers. Not even I can begin to imagine how long that would take.

I mean, we might end up smash3'ing every single SSE enemy. *shivers*

Yes. Thats the point. Its all about the humor.

Only expect that on our trophies descriptions.
...yeah, that would be horrible...then you would also have to smash3 every trophy and maybe even stages...then it could be combined with Project M and...*GASP* COMPLETLY NEW GAME! Smash 3 The Brawl. Totally original, do not steal.*

Then you have to include serious versions too.

Btw, will DS get a remake too? Or Space Pirates to go along with Other M Samus and Ridley? No? *pulls the lever* Ruined FOREVER!

*I appreciate all of your work and can't wait for 3.5 compatible version.

Last edited:

Taiko

Smash Ace
...yeah, that would be horrible...then you would also have to smash3 every trophy and maybe even stages...then it could be combined with Project M and...*GASP* COMPLETLY NEW GAME! Smash 3 The Brawl. Totally original, do not steal.*

Then you have to include serious versions too.

Btw, will DS get a remake too? Or Space Pirates to go along with Other M Samus and Ridley? No? *pulls the lever* Ruined FOREVER!

*I appreciate all of your work and can't wait for 3.5 compatible version.
Smash 3 DS confirmed!
We shall call it...Super Smash Bros. for 3 DS

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Smash 3 DS confirmed!
We shall call it...Super Smash Bros. for 3 DS
Totally original, do not stea- oh, wait, Sakurai already did that...GET HIM!

...You made a lot better work on textures and Newtwo than he and his developers...

Last edited:

Arkhamael

Smash Apprentice
Totally original, do not stea- oh, wait, Sakurai already did that...GET HIM!

...You made a lot better work on textures and Newtwo than he and his developers...
Is it just in a majority of people's blood to say that an official developer's work is inferior to fan works, even if the quality from both are sometimes equal?

Last edited:

NinfanNanz

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4425-2858-3538
I think they did a lot better on quite a few of the textures/models than smash 4 did, if not on par. Bowser and Pit looks especially better in my opinion as weird as that sounds.

Is it just in a majority of people's blood to say that an official developer's work is inferior to fan works, even if the quality from both are equal?
I believe it's the difference in motivation. The fans do it because they want to. The development team does it for money. So fans seemingly put more love into their work than the developers.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Is it just in a majority of people's blood to say that an official developer's work is inferior to fan works, even if the quality from both are sometimes equal?
If it actually is true, then its ok, like in this case (just compare original Brawl textures to Smash 3 textures - former are too grey and dull and realistic while later are bright and colorful like they should be and how they are in SSB4...yes, there is few characters that are like that in original games, but it doesn't means it doesn't looks dull). Still, without official work, this couldn't be possible.

Taiko

Smash Ace
I wouldn't say Smash 3 looks better than vBrawl, they're just aiming for different things.

And I would say Smash 4 is great because of the amount of work put into it, it doesn't give off the vibe that they did it for money at all. It just feels like they wanted to make the best possible Smash game, and I feel like they achieved just that.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
See that bit.

That bit right there is called 'subjective'

It has no reflection on 'quality'.

You can't say that the official work is inferior.

It is nice to have a new fresh look,. but thats it, it's 'new'. not necessarily 'better'.
Well, if it is going to represent how character looks like, then why are they so...dull? For example, Mario looks pretty realistic in terms of colors in Brawl and Toon Link looks a lot different from any game he appeared in (well, not really him, but thats not the point) just because of the colors. Those dull textures fit only TP characters like Link and Zelda, but not colorful cartoonish characters like Mario, Pikachu, Charizard, etc. It was done a lot better in SSB4.
It just feels like they wanted to make the best possible Smash game, and I feel like they achieved just that.
Well, they didn't put the simplest things possible like option to turn off the stage hazards *coughYellowDevilcough* and there is no battlefield option for stages (better than just boring FD), so, not the best possible Smash game. Still a great game and best Smash game...i think.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Well, if it is going to represent how character looks like, then why are they so...dull? For example, Mario looks pretty realistic in terms of colors in Brawl and Toon Link looks a lot different from any game he appeared in (well, not really him, but thats not the point) just because of the colors. Those dull textures fit only TP characters like Link and Zelda, but not colorful cartoonish characters like Mario, Pikachu, Charizard, etc. It was done a lot better in SSB4.

Well, they didn't put the simplest things possible like option to turn off the stage hazards *coughYellowDevilcough* and there is no battlefield option for stages (better than just boring FD), so, not the best possible Smash game. Still a great game and best Smash game...i think.
Really, you want another 50 stages? Why not instead thank them for giving the FD versions in the first place?

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I find Smash 4's (and by correlation, Smash 3's) art direction far more fitting than Brawl's. It's much more representative of Nintendo's vibrant universe.

Last edited:

NinfanNanz

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4425-2858-3538
Hey, now, this is turning into a smash 4 discussion.

I wouldn't say Smash 3 looks better than vBrawl, they're just aiming for different things.

And I would say Smash 4 is great because of the amount of work put into it, it doesn't give off the vibe that they did it for money at all. It just feels like they wanted to make the best possible Smash game, and I feel like they achieved just that.
I should emphasize the word seemingly in my prior post. I agree, Smash 4 has, for the most part (looking at you Pac-man), great models and texture, and visually, it looks so beautiful. I wouldn't be using smash 3 if i didn't agree. ;)

Last edited:

DexstarGAMER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DexstarGAMER
I think Brawl is like Nintendo Universe meets Twilight Princess, while Smash 4 nailed it, the textures, character models and movement feels soo good!!
Is a great game and maybe the best Smash Bros. yet (I'm trying to not to be biased, because if i were i would chose Melee or even Project M although isn't official)

DexstarGAMER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DexstarGAMER
Anyway i'm so happy to see a little tease to see what we will see in the next update, i' so excited!!
Sadly i won't play Project M because my SD card broke and in my country they discontinued the 2gb SD cards...so yeah

NinfanNanz

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4425-2858-3538
If you are willing to, you can homebrew your wii. That will allow you to use SD cards greater than 2GBs I believe. On you though.

Top Bottom