• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash 3 Project - All Characters Released

Should we release our source PSDs?

• Yes

Votes: 21 91.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Ganon looks much better now. I'm so hyped for this change, I just hope it doesn't strain progress since you might have to backtrack to already finished characters.

I was worried about how S3 Snake would look. Now I have confidence he'll be badass.

Loachy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Loachy
3DS FC
3780-9091-2349
I... I liked Smash 3 Ganon...

NinfanNanz

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4425-2858-3538
Well, This is just dandy. In hype of the new direction, I did a thing.

Sorry if it seems like i am advertising. Anyway, I hope you enjoy.

doing great so far, Smash 3 team. Can't wait to see more.

Edit : added insignia.

Last edited:

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718

Looks like the cold didn't bother Marth anyway... :yeahboi:

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy

Cool! All you need now is your insignia in the top right corner and it will look like a smash 3 DLC!

Last edited:

Isen

Smash Rookie
I think we're gonna like this new style. I might be getting greedy here but Captain Falcon would look amazing with more realistic textures.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hey everyone, sorry for the lack of updates lately, but I've got an announcement to make!
No, we're not quitting.

Up to this point we've been working on making textures with the goal of making them more "Nintendo-esque," meaning reducing their designs to a more simple approach. From this point onward though, we'll be changing our project goal from "Nintendoise" to "Modernise" and focus on bringing the Smash 4 visual style to Brawl. I'll explain in detail why we've made this choice in a bit, but what does this mean for you guys? More consistent textures, as we'll actually have an established visual style to work off of. Maybe even faster releases because we'll have reference material as well.

As we've made progress, we've received feedback on a few characters that they just didn't look right (namely Ganondorf and Roy) while other characters were well recieved even though they were developed the same way. We've thought about this for a bit,and realized that though the "Nintendoise" approach works well for more simple characters, it doesn't translate well to more complex characters like Ganondorf. To illustrate this, I'll be using charcters from both extremes: Toon Link and Ganondorf.

Here's Toon Link as we have him currently. His design has a clear inspiration from his Wind Waker appearance.
Then, we have Ganondorf. We tried to imagine him as he would look between Twilight Princess and Wind Waker, a bit like how people described Skyward Sword initially.
Though they look consistent, there's just something that doesn't feel right with Ganondorf because his design called for more realistic textures.

To test this theory, we tried giving Ganondorf more realistic textures:
He looks much more fitting with darker and more detailed textures. The difference is most noticable in the hair.
But then put him beside Toon Link, and the difference in their styles is huge. They just don't look consistent, and don't look like they're part of the same game at all.
We then realized that Smash 4 is visually doing what would make sense for us to do next, so we chose to create a Smash 4-esque texture for Toon Link:
Much better! Ganondorf gets to keep his more detailed textures, and Toon Link still fits in. Keep in mind that these textures are both still WIPs, and are subject to change.

As you could probably tell, we were already drawing inspiration from Smash 4, but now to keep consistent we'll take as much as we can from Smash 4. We don't aim to replicate Smash 4 1:1, as some things can't be done as they are in Smash 4. That said, this is still a visual overhaul of Brawl rather than a complete mod.
We won't be adding Smash 4 characters.
We won't be reworking the gameplay to match Smash 4.
We won't be adding Young Link.
We will still be called Smash 3 though. We've come up with a new logo to go with our new project goal as well!

We hope to roll out these updates as soon as we can, and thank you all for your continued support!

We've also added a FAQ to the OP, you'll be happy if you read it.
I haven't been this excited about this project since I first heard about it! I wish there was some way I could help, but I'm bad at all the things involved in making this. God's speed to all of you!

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I haven't been this excited about this project since I first heard about it! I wish there was some way I could help, but I'm bad at all the things involved in making this. God's speed to all of you!
I was only 9 years old. I loved Smash 3 so much. I had all the textures and alternate costumes. Every night I would pray to Taiko, thanking him for the life I live. Smash 3 is love, I'd say. Smash 3 is life.

Last edited:

Taiko

Smash Ace
I was only 9 years old. I loved Smash 3 so much. I had all the textures and alternate costumes. Every night I would pray to Taiko, thanking him for the life I live. Smash 3 is love, I'd say. Smash 3 is life.
I dream about the first part too. I don't pray to myself though, that's weird.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
He goes by "dedede" in the stock PM CSS, and the announcer only says "dedede"
On Saturday nights I go by Sapphire when I stand on my usual street corner.

That doesn't mean I need to be called that everywhere else.

Edit: Also, I'm almost positive the CSS says King Dedede... I could be wrong but it just sounds so familiar.

Last edited:

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio

Edit: Also, I'm almost positive the CSS says King Dedede... I could be wrong but it just sounds so familiar.
go look at it

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio

I like how people are liking this when you're wrong lol.

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
I liked his post because of his joke. Also because he makes a good point with his joke.

Also, I'm pretty sure the announcer says King Dedede. Isn't it just the Japanese version where he only says "Dedede"?

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
I liked his post because of his joke. Also because he makes a good point with his joke.

Also, I'm pretty sure the announcer says King Dedede. Isn't it just the Japanese version where he only says "Dedede"?
Actually, they changed that in PM where the announcer only says Dedede. I personally don't like it since it takes away from his title, so I got the Rina-Chan announcer pack to rectify this and because I like Rina-Chan. :p

I like how people are liking this when you're wrong lol.
You should probably keep that in your mind. Particularly since he did say that he could be wrong and that he is almost positive. :yeahboi: has spoken.

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio

Pretty sure huh? Why dont you go check instead of just guessing

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio
Actually, they changed that in PM where the announcer only says Dedede. I personally don't like it since it takes away from his title, so I got the Rina-Chan announcer pack to rectify this and because I like Rina-Chan. :p

You should probably keep that in your mind. Particularly since he did say that he could be wrong and that he is almost positive. :yeahboi: has spoken.
you should have probably kept this in your mind too.

:yeahboi:"Hey get outta here you!"

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
This thread does not need Salt dammit. It's my zen garden. If someone has anymore to say on the matter direct message me, bruh.

I apologize to any S3 Dev or viewer that found my comments during the argument distasteful.

Last edited:

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
ANYWAY, I have a question.

If one of the characters you guys have already created textures for get confirmed for Smash 4, are you guys going to go back and change the textures to match Smash 4, or leave them as is?

Taiko

Smash Ace
ANYWAY, I have a question.

If one of the characters you guys have already created textures for get confirmed for Smash 4, are you guys going to go back and change the textures to match Smash 4, or leave them as is?
It depends. We don't aim to replicate Smash 4 1:1, so if we don't feel like they need an update, they won't get one.

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
I would love to add this to my build. The issue lies in the fact that they're texture hacks, which to my knowledge aren't allowed in tournament play. I'm creating a tournament friendly build, so unfortunately I don't think I can add these. Hopefully in the future when it's completed, the PMBR will support this I would hope.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
I would love to add this to my build. The issue lies in the fact that they're texture hacks, which to my knowledge aren't allowed in tournament play. I'm creating a tournament friendly build, so unfortunately I don't think I can add these. Hopefully in the future when it's completed, the PMBR will support this I would hope.
Texture and music hacks are allowed as far as I'm aware. Just nothing that would physically change how the character plays or how a stage works.

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
Texture and music hacks are allowed as far as I'm aware. Just nothing that would physically change how the character plays or how a stage works.
This is from the official Project M APEX ruleset: "* Custom music is allowed as long as it’s not too distracting, but any textures or vertex hacks outside of the official team color textures are not." At most locals, the rule is what was just stated, or they are allowed to request to not play on a set up with texture hacks. I'd rather not have to deal with the risk of people complaining over something so silly.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Yet another reason why you guys need to get in bed with the PMBR. The Smash 3 textures are too good not to become a part of PM proper.

Top Bottom