• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash 3 Project - All Characters Released

Should we release our source PSDs?

• Yes

Votes: 21 91.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Taiko

Smash Ace
What's the font you guys use for Smash 3 stuff, by the way?
You nailed it. For the titles, we use ITC Avant Garde (Bold Condensed), while the descriptions for the DLC use Helvetica Neue (Light). The logo itself uses Minion Pro (Semibold)

While I'm not quite sure about a free alternative to ITC Avant Garde, Arial was based on Helvetica so it could give you a similar result, or you could alternatively use Coolvetica.

And that was a quick DLC! I didn't expect those until after I released the PSDs!

Last edited:

Crixler

Smash Journeyman
As a Gimp user, the PSDs don't work all that well anyway. So I just did it the same way I did my non-Smash 3 Master Lord Roy. New layer, free select tool, bucket fill, set the layer mode, etc. I might wait for PSDs before tackling some Fox alts, though.

The description was Helvetica? 99% sure I have that. I just used Roboto Bold for the titles, and regular Roboto for the description. It turned out pretty close, I think, and I'm pretty sure it's a free font. I think it's what Android uses.
http://www.dafont.com/roboto.font

Last edited:

Middleman97

Smash Apprentice
Sorry if this has been answered, by why did you choose to use the new Marth instead of the Brawl version? Any plans for Brawl Marth?

Galaga

Smash 3 Dev Team
3DS FC
4940-6585-2366
Sorry if this has been answered, by why did you choose to use the new Marth instead of the Brawl version? Any plans for Brawl Marth?
We currently have no plans for Brawl Marth. We used SD Marth simply due to the fact we as a team prefer it over the original. Also, a fun fact, we decided on SD Marth before the Marth reveal for Smash 4, so we figured the reference would be perfect for the project. To quote Shun, "We were basically doing what we think Sakurai would've done if he knew about SD Marth during Brawl's development based on the only Sakurai Asks."

Last edited:

Galaga

Smash 3 Dev Team
3DS FC
4940-6585-2366
BTW... I realized I haven't shown anything on my next character for Smash 3, Lucario! Here's a quick preview for good ol' #448:

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
How do I download this?!
Click the button that has "The Pack" as it's title. In the top right, you'll see a button that says download as zip. Click that and it'll download everything for you. Be sure to read any text-files included for assistance installing.

Galaga

Smash 3 Dev Team
3DS FC
4940-6585-2366
hey i think i found a problem, when I intall each character seperately their csp doesnt get updated
If you're installing each character individually, you need to take the included CSPs in each character download and manually replace the old CSPs in your SD card's common5.pac with BrawlBox.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
If you just want the Project M stuff, then just press the Project M hyperlink in the dropbox and then press the download button to get just the Project M materials.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
We currently have no plans for Brawl Marth. We used SD Marth simply due to the fact we as a team prefer it over the original. Also, a fun fact, we decided on SD Marth before the Marth reveal for Smash 4, so we figured the reference would be perfect for the project. To quote Shun, "We were basically doing what we think Sakurai would've done if he knew about SD Marth during Brawl's development based on the only Sakurai Asks."

*Twiddles thumbs hoping for an Awakening Roy alt*

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
BTW... I realized I haven't shown anything on my next character for Smash 3, Lucario! Here's a quick preview for good ol' #448:
Those eyes are looking ferocious. I'm glad too, I think it really adds to Lucario's own sort of aura. Kudos!

Jmook11

Smash Apprentice
I'm sorry, but I still don't get it. I downloaded the PM file, copied it to my SD card, unzipped the files, and it didn't say to overwrite. Why isn't this working?

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
I'm sorry, but I still don't get it. I downloaded the PM file, copied it to my SD card, unzipped the files, and it didn't say to overwrite. Why isn't this working?
Unzip the folder on to your desktop then drag the "projectm" (located inside the "Project M" folder) on to the root of your SD card. Your files aren't working because they are in the wrong directory.

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
Sup guys, its been a while since I've shown some progress with Wario:

Also, decided to this share what I was doing with this guy too:

Spire

III
BRoomer
This is truly beautiful work. Color me impressed!

You have my full support. Once complete, this will be a permanent addition to my Smash build. This is ostensibly the greatest collection of textures thanks to uniformity and professionalism. You manage to bring honesty out of the Brawl models, all the while making the game look better than ever before. Bravo!

Crixler

Smash Journeyman
Dayum man, I tested this in-game... I like this, you should upload this one on KC-MM's vault.
:o I figured since official Smash 3 DLCs aren't on Brawl Vault, that it'd be weird if my unofficial one was. But all right, I'll get some screenshots later and post it. Thanks!

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
So uhh... you guys ever thought of overhauling the stages and menus in the same style as well? Make it a full scale project? :D
One thing at a time, Apples... One thing at a time. Meanwhile, I'll be happy with these character textures and can't wait to see what you do for Snake.

\Apples

Smash Journeyman
One thing at a time, Apples... One thing at a time. Meanwhile, I'll be happy with these character textures and can't wait to see what you do for Snake.
Hey man, I'm all about taking baby steps, that's how things get done. I was just proposing the idea.

(I'd say I'd be willing to contribute, but I know I've been pretty flaky when it comes to Smash hacking ever since I moved to Seattle. So I won't make promises I can't keep. Still, I think it'd be rad.)

Taiko

Smash Ace
Hey everyone, I made my blog debut today! You'll find the post here, where I talk about Roy's two new recolours.

I've also released the texture source for Roy, so you can grab that below and start making your own!

If it's still not working, make sure the "projectm" folder merges with the "projectm" folder on your SD card. If it doesn't work, make sure all the files are going into the right place and merging with the files from your Project M install. Hopefully this helps you!
:o I figured since official Smash 3 DLCs aren't on Brawl Vault, that it'd be weird if my unofficial one was. But all right, I'll get some screenshots later and post it. Thanks!
It's alright if you do, in fact, we'd rather you guys post up your DLCs there so that they don't get lost in the threads. We just wanted some thread exclusive content is all, that's why we don't post ours up on the Vault.
So uhh... you guys ever thought of overhauling the stages and menus in the same style as well? Make it a full scale project? :D
Stages are a bit iffy since there'd be a lot to support. Now, a menu on the other hand...
Snake, huh? His release is not even close coming eventually, we've actually got something interesting planned for him. As for what that is, it's a secret for now!

\Apples

Smash Journeyman
Hey everyone, I made my blog debut today! You'll find the post here, where I talk about Roy's two new recolours.

I've also released the texture source for Roy, so you can grab that below and start making your own!

If it's still not working, make sure the "projectm" folder merges with the "projectm" folder on your SD card. If it doesn't work, make sure all the files are going into the right place and merging with the files from your Project M install. Hopefully this helps you!

It's alright if you do, in fact, we'd rather you guys post up your DLCs there so that they don't get lost in the threads. We just wanted some thread exclusive content is all, that's why we don't post ours up on the Vault.

Stages are a bit iffy since there'd be a lot to support. Now, a menu on the other hand...

Snake, huh? His release is not even close coming eventually, we've actually got something interesting planned for him. As for what that is, it's a secret for now!
Yooooooooooooooooo that menu is swanky!! I will say that while I like Versus being blue, having it match Data's color seems weird to me. Not only that, blue is a color associated more with inaction whereas red is a color associated more with action, so there's a bit of a dissonance there. HOWEVER, I actually love that there's no red, Smash 4 seems to be rolling with blue this time as its primary color, so maybe the whole bottom row should use shades of purple/magenta? Then blue and yellow for versus and solo? Idk. ****in' color theory. You guys make the calls I'll just fap.

Also that white Roy is much better than default gold, I love it. The new blue is nice, but the default blue is by far my favorite Roy color so I won't use it. I'm also a sucker for classic character color palettes so it's kind of a double-whammy for me.

Last edited:

Taiko

Smash Ace
Yooooooooooooooooo that menu is swanky!! I will say that while I like Versus being blue, having it match Data's color seems weird to me. Not only that, blue is a color associated more with inaction whereas red is a color associated more with action, so there's a bit of a dissonance there. HOWEVER, I actually love that there's no red, Smash 4 seems to be rolling with blue this time as its primary color, so maybe the whole bottom row should use shades of purple/magenta? Then blue and yellow for versus and solo? Idk. ****in' color theory. You guys make the calls I'll just fap.
Don't worry, there's a reason for the colour choice! We wanted to keep the colour-categorized thing Brawl had going, so...?! I've said too much!

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
! I see... I'll just going this way and totally not camp here underneath that Cardboard Box in the corner. Yep... :snake: Totally. :p

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
This textures are plain awesome, in gonna replace all the default for this ones.
So far Roy is my favorite, but one question: does it include a recolor with the purple cape?

Cold-Water Wash

Smash Cadet
The bendy part of a sink in Saratoga Springs, NY
Will you guys even need to do a Kirby re-texture? In the "melee to brawl" trailer that Nintendo did, be barely changed as is.

I always thought that was an entertaining part. Mario - changes a lot. Link - changes a lot. Pikachu - changes a bit. Kirby - nothing. He even looks a little confused afterwords like "What the...? Where's my new design?"

Top Bottom