• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The SBR official stance on Metaknight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RuNNing Riot

Smash Lord
Did I spam..

Just telling the truth??

Screw metaknight banners & there lack of desire to overcome metaknight
I would remind you that the pro-ban side outnumbered yours.

And hasn't the issue about people having a lack of desire to overcome Meta Knight already been addressed? Despite the efforts of the entire community in the time Meta Knight has been the tier champion, he still has no bad matchups.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I think it's funny how everyone brings up polls as arguments that MK should be banned when at least 75% of the people voting in the polls either don't go to tournaments or are average players at best.

GirugaMarc

Smash Apprentice
I think it's funny how everyone brings up polls as arguments that MK should be banned when at least 75% of the people voting in the polls either don't go to tournaments or are average players at best.

don't make such generalizations, Nintendude

I can play that game too

75% of the Anti-Ban are MK mains/seconds and voted no so their cash mommy isn't banned (obviously)

It's true that there are a lot of scrub players/people that don't even go to tournaments that voted pro-ban (AND anti-ban). But definitely not 75% o.o

Nintendude

Smash Hero
No, 75% is being generous actually. Over 3000 people voted. Even if there was a Genesis-esque tourney every week with ~300 in attendance you would maybe get 1000 unique smashers if you were lucky, since around half of tournament attendees are regulars. The other ones tend to be random no names who show up with their friends, get owned, and then go home really early and probably not go to another one in a long time, if ever.

'V'

Smash Lord
No, 75% is being generous actually. Over 3000 people voted. Even if there was a Genesis-esque tourney every week with ~300 in attendance you would maybe get 1000 unique smashers if you were lucky, since around half of tournament attendees are regulars. The other ones tend to be random no names who show up with their friends, get owned, and then go home really early and probably not go to another one in a long time, if ever.
This is true actually. Whenever I see someone I don't know enter a smash tourney, they usually never come back again except for maybe one more try later in the year.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
So, the topic right now seems to be "pro-ban doesn't want to step up their game and learn a character that goes even with MK".

I don't need to learn any character, we are all born knowing how to use MK! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Plus my Kirby does way better than I would ever hope to do with another MK. He might be easy and I *might* pick him up for the lulz, but I'm not really gonna get serious with him, I love my mains' playstyles too much to split my attention on a 3rd character. Today I went to a small smashfest nearby, and before I got too tired to keep on playing, I noticed that Kirby and ZSS will always be my best choices, even if the MU discussions say MK is better for an MU (like Snake or MK himself... I **** with Kirby in contrast to how much I don't **** with MK).

In conclusion, a couple of pro-bans know how to handle the MK MU, and even other MUs, with their current mains. Maining MK won't hinder them, but they'll still fare better with their own mains. I'm one of these people: I've got no problem fighting MK, he's just another character to beat to me, same approach as to any other characters in my eyes, just jump in and **** intelligently.

Mindgames are the best, and when you mindgame an awesome killing move that even you think "Oh ****, that's so awesome", that's when you know you clicked with your character. :D

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hylian (or any SBR moderator really), if you see this, will there still be a thread in the tactical discussion for people to talk/vent about Meta Knight?

While the SBR-B doesn't recommend banning him, there should still be a thread for people to talk about it. After all, it's not the SBR's job to regulate the forums, even if you guys did make a "final decision." If not, I fear a lot of threads will be made to talk specifically about him. And if those threads are no longer allowed to be made, there will be lots of spam, multiple threads addressing the same topic, and all that jazz. :/

Just sayin.

'V'

Smash Lord
Just make a social group if you feel a strong need to talk about MK's place in the Metagame.
And make sure that both sides are able to obtain hardcore evidence in their cases during this "at least a year" time frame.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Hylian (or any SBR moderator really), if you see this, will there still be a thread in the tactical discussion for people to talk/vent about Meta Knight?

While the SBR-B doesn't recommend banning him, there should still be a thread for people to talk about it. After all, it's not the SBR's job to regulate the forums, even if you guys did make a "final decision." If not, I fear a lot of threads will be made to talk specifically about him. And if those threads are no longer allowed to be made, there will be lots of spam, multiple threads addressing the same topic, and all that jazz. :/

Just sayin.
thats not a bad idea, i support it. You could also use the topic to re organize thoughts, think about what others have said, and possibly repeat yourself a couple of times but it'd work

making a group doesnt rly do anything. This is a forum after all and its meant to be an open place of discussion. Not hidden in some silly little group

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Social Groups can be a very powerful tool if advertised and used correctly.
I could even put up an announcement for it, should one be made.

I'd have to talk to the Admins about it in any case.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Since the SBR ruleset has a stage like Port Town Aero drive pretty much banned, does that mean the stage discussion forum isn't allowed to discuss the stage? I feel the public should be able to discuss this. The SBR WONT be bringing up the issue or discussing it, but I see no problem with everyday posters doing so in the appropriate forum.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Social Groups can be a very powerful tool if advertised and used correctly.
I could even put up an announcement for it, should one be made.

I'd have to talk to the Admins about it in any case.
This website does not revolve around group discussion though. If you check out the (viewers) listing, its pretty clear that most people congregate around Character/General/Tactical. Having a little thread devoted to MK in either general/tactical will allow many more people to see it versus a group setting. This will also allow for more healthier arguments and more POV's being tossed about.

Instinctualy, It makes people feel alot better about themselves if they can talk about whats on their mind openly. Because MK is most likely on their mind and it probably does bother them.

Master Raven

Smash Master
How many people who main characters who's worst matchup is MK are in the SBR?

I can just as easily make silly accusations of pro-banners being biased towards their character. :p

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
vash just beat pax w/ wario. i hate to say it, but mk isnt ban worthy anymore. sure pax isnt a great mk like dojo, but he wrecks the valley w/ him. i dont like it that mk dominates everyone, has a advantage on everyone imo, and has so many utiities that ranks him broken. but i guess the game still needs to evolve.

EVERYONE THANK ALLY 4 THIS, HE SAVED MKS ***
lol this. We should all blame Ally for proving that all it takes is for you to be one of the top 5 player with the second best character to beat a strong metaknight. see? its not hard at all. lol.

honestly, the way things are going, especially in MD/VA, MK and IC's are going to run rampant. even more so. I'm not even sure that it matters that the SBR again won't budge on this, because whether people want to ban him or not, they won't do it in thier tourneys, everyone is gonna pick up MK and/or IC's and characters that should be good will go down on the tier list simply because no one will play them anymore in favor of this brokeness. then the next tier list will be horribly wrong again because no one will no crap about the other characters outside of the biased hardcore mainers. again.

why does no one think this may happen?

Edit: Master Raven- it would be nice if this SBR had at least 1-2 people who main/second every character in the game in high level play. if all characters are represented, instead of just the top 7 or something (and im not saying this is true) than i'd be more apt to fall on their said on this matter.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Edit: Master Raven- it would be nice if this SBR had at least 1-2 people who main/second every character in the game in high level play. if all characters are represented, instead of just the top 7 or something (and im not saying this is true) than i'd be more apt to fall on their said on this matter.
Every character has at least 1 person who is able to talk about them properly.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
Is there a list of who reps who? I don't know who reps most of the lower teirs.

Also, while I agree with there needing to be more reps of certain characters, it's only natural that the better the character is, the more reps it has in a group of top players, and vice versa.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
So, the topic right now seems to be "pro-ban doesn't want to step up their game and learn a character that goes even with MK".
They wouldn't have chosen a new character just because they would have a better chance beating Metaknight.

Most of pro-ban probobly thought their character (and the game) would be better off without him.

Most of anti-ban either mained Metaknight, or thought he wasn't worth banning.

But that is quite an idea. Should everyone with a disadvantage against Metaknight learn how to use him as if he were their main? Sounds like a desperate resort, but why not?

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
*Eats marshmallows while reading the thread*

Yeah, apparently this isn't gonna die down. Better get ready for the new droves of MKs then :dizzy:.

*Readys dual hammers, sneakers, pokeball and sword*

Come and get some :bigrocket!!

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Come and get some :bigrocket!!
*comes and gets some :bigrocket*

*powershields your :bigrocket and rushes in for a grab and tries to punish mistakes*

*your :bigrocket aircamps all day, then jumps to the ledge and abuses the 70-ledgegrab rule*

*I lose to your :bigrocket*

See how this thing works if MK was in the :bigrocket? [/troll]

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
that makes sence. not disputing that. but i feel that the most of them are MK mains or those that second him. (if im wrong, fine. im wrong.) besides, i thinks its 100% fair to know who make up the SBR in its entirety. not to bash them, but to get a feel for the demographic of thier characters in high level play, since thats the only thing that matters apparently...

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Ok, I want to ask a totally serious and not-flame-intending question here: why is the SBR so "shadowy-figure" all the time? I understand having the board private; it would overly complicate things if everyone could watch all of your discussions, and you probably couldn't be as frank with yourselves and each other with the entire community over your shoulder. And I understand why you'd, for instance, withhold the internal poll results until afterward (because it'd pollute the public poll results and such).

But we can't even know the makeup of the people that (supposedly) lay down our "recommended" policy? There are roughly 100 people in the SBR (last time I heard in the MK poll), so let's just say 100 to make things neat. Each character has one representative, at minimum. There are 35 characters in the game. Our worst case scenario has the SBR consisting of 66 MK mains! (I know that less people main lower tiers and more people main higher tiers, but you get the point) I think people should be able to know the exact ratio of character mains; how much does that really hurt you? How does our knowing who makes up our (operative) governmental body detract from your ability to make decisions?

I just want to know out of curiosity. Like I said, not trying to flame or anything, I just want to understand the logic.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'd give information if allowed, but if you really want to discuss policy you might want to take it up via PM with Marc, AlphaZealot, or Hylian.

.AC.

Smash Lord
lol @ people thinking mk is the only viable character.

edit:you are all dumb.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
The only specific thing I can give you is that while there are many people playing Meta Knight, those are NOT in the majority. The majority plays other characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom