• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Roster Size Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Not sure if this should go in general discussion or in the character forum. I'm gonna put it here for now though and I guess it can be moved if the staff deem it more appropriate for character discussion.

To continue from our discussion in the Gematsu thread, I'd like to propose that the final roster size is 47 characters.

SmashFest Demo CSS: http://i.imgur.com/92eDMrY.png

Proposed 47 character Wii U CSS: http://i.imgur.com/VJOpbsn.jpg

SmashFest 3DS CSS: http://i.imgur.com/mOdL1h6.png

Proposed 47 character 3DS CSS: http://i.imgur.com/4ZGpTjA.jpg

Images from vaanrose of GameFaqs.

Ignore the order of the characters for now. These are purely proof of concept images. If the layout on the proposed 3DS layout really does bother you though, here is an edit: http://i.imgur.com/4egS5Ix.jpg

Looking at these images, it appears difficult to fit in another row of characters without shrinking the icons. Therefore, it looks like the CSS, as it stands, can fit a maximum of 47 characters and a random slot without shrinking character icons.

Because icon shrinking is possible and precedented, this is by no means confirming that the final roster will be 47 characters large. However, I do want to do this to ground our expectations so that we don't end up bummed out like we did with Brawl when we found out that the roster wasn't 50 characters. Think of this as a public service announcement of sorts.

So, discuss.

47 was also my upper limit estimation based on the Wii U character screen that we saw. However, it's possible that the bottom row won't fill entirely, similar to how Melee's didn't. Some might say that the presence of the Random box means there won't be "gutters" on the bottom row to act as the random space like there were in Melee, but I think it tells us nothing either way.

42-47 is the range to make peace with, imo.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
There can be 51 character slots on the SSBU CSS Page. 50 if there is an extra DLC button.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Several Nintendo employees at E3 said that the roster was "massive", and Reggie said that they are still "looking at" characters, so I'm still gunning for 50.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Several Nintendo employees at E3 said that the roster was "massive", and Reggie said that they are still "looking at" characters, so I'm still gunning for 50.
Wat? How is that even possible? Unless they are eyeing at DLC.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
If you believe the Gematsu leak, you have to accept that the roster is going above 47 characters at some point. If you don't believe the Gematsu leak, it's pretty silly to think that Sakurai would allow UI limitations to restrict the amount of total playable characters. Either way, you have to accept that this roster layout can be changed to suit the demands of the developers.

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
There can be 51 character slots on the SSBU CSS Page. 50 if there is an extra DLC button.

Any idea how to get 51 icons on the 3DS?

It was already looking packed with 47 so I don't know how an extra 4 can be added on.

Though if they can then that's great news. That'd add an extra 3 characters as well as a DLC button.

Any idea how to get 51 icons on the 3DS?

It was already looking packed with 47 so I don't know how an extra 4 can be added on.

Though if they can then that's great news. That'd add an extra 3 characters as well as a DLC button.
One of my mspaint mockups could get six rows of nine crammed in there, if the character tiles remain the same proportion but scaled down - but like you said, packed. And I'm doubtful of that size anyway.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I would honestly very surprised if there was only 47 characters and not 50 or 51.

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
Is the thing with the 3ds full sized roster real or edited? I'm hoping for 50 because I'm hoping for a new zelda character and metroid

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Wait, what is that weird icon with the 3 white circles?

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
Counting every individual ever included in Smash, there are 54 characters in the roster history (including all additions up to Pac-Man.) That's counting PT, Zelda, and Samus as multiples (3, 2, 2).

We went from 12 - 26 - 39.

If we assume 1) everyone will return, 2) that all the new characters have been shown, and 3) it's still safe to subtract Roy, YL, Pichu, Dr. Mario, Squirtle, and Ivysaur, that leaves us with a possible roster of 48 (again, counting Zelda/Samas as 2.) Now, I'm not expecting any of the Brawl characters to be left out this time around, especially the more creative ones, so I wouldn't be surprised to see upper 40 or even 50. However, it has happened before (Mewtwo,) so I will not assume it's off the table. If it is 50, and the add Mewtwo back into the roster, that leaves room for two more newcomers. With Pac-Man, Megaman, and Lil' Mac (being high in-demand requests) all being confirmed...I'm betting Ridley is going to be an ace up their sleeve.

I just want some news on Lucas and R.O.B. T_T

Of all the veterans, they're the only ones I'd be devastated to see removed. Obviously, I'd hate to see any of them removed (except Metaknight, he can die in a fire), but those two are the only ones that would personally phase me.

Last edited:

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I can see a roster of 47, although with the proposed one I'd personally rather see Lucas back than Falco or Wolf haha. I do see that as realistic, maybe we will get other newcomers as well though.

Last edited:

King K.Smasher

Smash Cadet
NNID
ShadowGamer101
3DS FC
1075-0754-8063
To me a roster size of 49 seems most likely. Since there are 33 Characters confirmed at the moment and 11 veterans that are not (excluding Snake) would bring the size to 44, and by speculating I suspect there being at least 5 more Newcomers leaving the roster at 49 characters.

abrinx77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Abrinx
Without DLC, 47 seems just about right, and easily fits in both CSS screens. I personally think we will hit fifty this time though, whether that is before or after DLC, that remains the big question.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
47 is such a weird number of characters. Round it to 48, at least. Or 50. That said, considering that Sal Romano's leak is 99% likely legit and that he didn't know about all newcomers (Rosaluma proves this point), we are likely getting more than 47 characters. Not an absurd amount like 60, but at least 50~52.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
If it looks a little little too small on the 3ds for 51, remember that only one person uses it.

I did some math and if you include

the sal leak (honestly, I had doubts before but now, it has enough credibility for me to assume it being true but it's not confirmed) +
every brawl veteran except ivysaur, squirtle, ness OR lucas and snake +
mewtwo (being teased in the greninja trailer and is the only cut veteran THAT popular),

it gives 48 characters.

However, if you cut mewtwo and falco, it gives 46. I don't think falco is really going to be cut but even if both are cut, I still think that there has to have more newcomer than this. I would be surprised if it ends at 46 or 47 because of how they teased us by "unannounced characters" or the roster being massive (it's more likely to have been done at this point). If it is indeed a 51, then, other popular characters may still have chances but I really believe that it doesn't end at 46 or 47 but around 50.

Anyone agree with this? It seems to be around 50 which honestly, is very impressive. I would still be ok with 47 but it's just that it doesn't feel like it will end for the newcomers part. Hidden characters has a very good chance to exist at this point so, let's wait for September 13!!!

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
47 is such a weird number of characters. Round it to 48, at least. Or 50. That said, considering that Sal Romano's leak is 99% likely legit and that he didn't know about all newcomers (Rosaluma proves this point), we are likely getting more than 47 characters. Not an absurd amount like 60, but at least 50~52.
I don't think 60 would be absurd. (at least not for a dlc supported roster) It's not like every dlc character would be dumped on us at once.

I do think anything over 60 is very unrealistic though. Assuming they reached 60 after a couple years, at that point it would make more sense to start moving on to the next smash Bros.

Although I'm assuming they're going to be gradually adding dlc characters over the games lifespan and not just dumping a handful of them in 2015

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I don't think 60 would be absurd. (at least not for a dlc supported roster) It's not like every dlc character would be dumped on us at once.

I do think anything over 60 is very unrealistic though.
I think it is absurd, specially compared to the roster of previous games. It is not usual for sequels to fighting games to always expand the roster, sometimes the opposite occurs. That said, I think it is absurd, but not impossible to happen, specially considering the game is being developed by two dev teams (Sora, Ltd and Namco Bandai). Namco Bandai managed to make one of the most well balanced fighting games, with almost 60 characters in the roster, so the same could happen to Smash.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I think it is absurd, specially compared to the roster of previous games. It is not usual for sequels to fighting games to always expand the roster, sometimes the opposite occurs. That said, I think it is absurd, but not impossible to happen, specially considering the game is being developed by two dev teams (Sora, Ltd and Namco Bandai). Namco Bandai managed to make one of the most well balanced fighting games, with almost 60 characters in the roster, so the same could happen to Smash.
That's what I was thinking too, I have seen fighting game rosters with almost 60 fighters.

I think 60 is the ceiling and over time I think it could be reached or at least come close to. (56-59) It does depend on how they treat dlc though.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Accually i looked at the roster

4 x 12 or 4 x 13 is the most likely number

(Aka exclusing random 47 or 50 is probably the magic numbers)

And as for the first post (the guy who started it.)

Thats it if the 47 one which is not entirely likley but

51 is more likely (and its simple add ridley mewtwo and either king k rool or dixie kong or the most likely lucas.)

(Although your only mistake so far is lucas is cut, i would not cut out lucas i mean ike survived.)

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I was just thinking....

If they have a huge roster, then they'll have a huge Amiibo collection to sell. Not sure if that would definitely be a positive for them, but I guess it would be if they were going after collectors.

Shroob

Sup?
Accually i looked at the roster

4 x 12 or 4 x 13 is the most likely number

(Aka exclusing random 47 or 50 is probably the magic numbers)

And as for the first post (the guy who started it.)

Thats it if the 47 one which is not entirely likley but

51 is more likely (and its simple add ridley mewtwo and either king k rool or dixie kong or the most likely lucas.)

(Although your only mistake so far is lucas is cut, i would not cut out lucas i mean ike survived.)
The reason Lucas is cut is because the newest Sal Romano leak says Lucas is most likely cut.

D

Deleted member

The reason Lucas is cut is because the newest Sal Romano leak says Lucas is most likely cut.
The part that is probably false. I still don't understand why he gives us solid information on newcomers. (This character WILL appear) but with Lucas he says "it is possible." The way I see it, the leak is still true regardless of if Lucas is in the game or not, so the third leak is pretty useless aside from specifically naming Mii as "Mii Fighters."

Last edited by a moderator:

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
Honestly if the 47/48 rumors are true I'll be pretty disappointed unless the clones are de-cloned (I still consider Ganondorf and co clones).

And the fact that we actually went DOWN reps for several franchises, and not only dead franchises like Earthbound but Pokemon. From 6 to 5 in Pokemon? There are over 700 how is this possible?

Last edited:

Wander

Smash Journeyman
I guess it's possible they could shrink them even more to add in another row, but it doesn't seem likely. Gonna be disappointed if the leaked newcomers are the only ones.

I just really want K Rool okay v__v

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Honestly if the 47/48 rumors are true I'll be pretty disappointed unless the clones are de-cloned (I still consider Ganondorf and co clones).

And the fact that we actually went DOWN reps for several franchises, and not only dead franchises like Earthbound but Pokemon. From 6 to 5 in Pokemon? There are over 700 how is this possible?
:squirtle::ivysaur::charizard: = :pt: = 1 Rep.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder, the Mii Fighters are different characters so will they have their own selection slots on screen or what happened with Zelda/Sheik in Brawl.

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
:squirtle::ivysaur::charizard: = :pt: = 1 Rep.
That's 3 reps. It's ridiculous to suggest otherwise. There are 3 characters. You don't actually even play as the Pokemon Trainer. Reps = Character count. I know some people don't agree, but some people are also wrong. ;p

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
52 fighters.

All of Brawl's fighters except Squirtle and Ivysaur. Maybe Snake if Konami has a brain hemmorage, which is looking kind of likely now.

Throw in Mewtwo.

Gematsu 12 + Ridley, King K. Rool. Toss in whoever you want if you're assuming Snake is gonzo.

That's my guess, and it seems like the absolute maximum with 33 fighters revealed with 4 months till release with only 3 being good for character reveals. If we got 2 characters a month until release with one character for release month, that would be 40 fighters revealed with a good 12 fighters kept "secret." Anything more than 52 fighters would make one truly applaud Sakurai's dedication to ****ing with us by making us pessimistic about roster size back in 2012 and never breaking character.

Edit: Realized Japan releases in September. Bump up "secret" fighters to 14, revealed fighters to 38.

Last edited:

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
47 is what I am thinking. It's easily the neatest layout wise. It's a shame we may have to wait on Mewtwo.

Consider guys that they easily have the 3DS be multi-page.

iluvnintendo1983

Smash Journeyman
Melee had 13 newcomers and Brawl had 15 newcomers. So far, only 9 newcomers have been announced for Smash 4. I'd assume it will at least have as many newcomers as Brawl, if not a couple more, like 17. If you have 15 newcomers, and no characters from Brawl are cut (aside from Pokemon Trainer being replaced by Charizard), then you end up with 50 characters. Or two more Brawl characters could be cut like Lucas and Snake, and there are 17 newcomers. 50 Sounds like a really good number to me.

Last edited:

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
Honestly, there are only so many newcomers you can put in without removing veterans. 47 is a huuuuuuuuuge roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom