• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Rosalina General/Social Thread: 2nd Edition

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
And here's a size comparison with the SPM sprites of the other main characters.
paper_rosalina_comparison_web.png

Still not finished and some of the shading is off, but I wanted to show this anyway.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I was thinking of giving her an eye like that, but thought it might clash with the other core Mario characters too much.

However, I plan to give her eye a cosmic effect and maybe a star in the middle.
I basically modified Paper Rosalina's eye to look like that, since I felt that she looks rather odd to have the same kind of eye style as Paper Mario, Paper Luigi, and Paper Peach. And the turquoise eye iris adds to the uniqueness as well.

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
What about that one scene in Galaxy 2 where the lost luma enters the Library? Rosalina was narrating the events of the game, where she starts to read about the green jewels of the cosmos. That was very touching, especially the music.

And one thing about Rosalina that doesn't makes sense. She RELIES on Mario to save the the universe when she is CLEARLY capable of doing it herself, plus, she's the Protector of the stars.
My thoughts:

Regarding Galaxy 1, she is staying aboard the Observatory to protect the Lumas and make repairs to it as Mario brings back more and more stars. If she went to get stars, who else would protect the observatory? Polari?

Regarding Galaxy 2, it runs concurrently to Super Luigi Galaxy due to time and space reset shenanigans at the end of Galaxy 1, so she's still held up while Luigi is instead collecting stars for her.

As for the observatory being in that predicament in the first place, Bowser blindsided her right out of the blue. Had it been left out of the blue, the Galaxy games wouldn't have happened, but she had to have hair over her right eye. Truly. :4lemmy:

Char Seasalina

Smash Ace
NNID
CharlotteBelle33
My thoughts:

Regarding Galaxy 1, she is staying aboard the Observatory to protect the Lumas and make repairs to it as Mario brings back more and more stars. If she went to get stars, who else would protect the observatory? Polari?

Regarding Galaxy 2, it runs concurrently to Super Luigi Galaxy due to time and space reset shenanigans at the end of Galaxy 1, so she's still held up while Luigi is instead collecting stars for her.

As for the observatory being in that predicament in the first place, Bowser blindsided her right out of the blue. Had it been left out of the blue, the Galaxy games wouldn't have happened, but she had to have hair over her right eye. Truly. :4lemmy:
You're right, I haven't thought of that. As for leaving the Observatory, she done it multiple times in spin-offs, leaving the Lumas parentless.

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
You need to work on the outlines. Notice how the original have thicker outlines and each part is colored in a darker color from the base.

Mario's cap outline is dark red , Peach's dress outline is dakr pink. Meanwhile all of Rosalina is plain black. I also think she is a bit too tall. She is tall , but i think for PM she shouldn't be that tall , taller than Peach , but that's it.

My opinion.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
You need to work on the outlines. Notice how the original have thicker outlines and each part is colored in a darker color from the base.

Mario's cap outline is dark red , Peach's dress outline is dakr pink. Meanwhile all of Rosalina is plain black. I also think she is a bit too tall. She is tall , but i think for PM she shouldn't be that tall , taller than Peach , but that's it.

My opinion.
The outline is pure black because that's my "instruction manual artwork" version, not the sprite version. Those versions have black outlines. It also isn't quite finished yet, I just wanted to do a size comparison now to make sure the proportions looked OK.

Also I'm keeping her at that height because it's about the same difference between Peach and Rosalina normally. I feel it makes sense for her to be the size of SPM Bowser because he's shorter here anyway and he's hunched up too.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
You're right, I haven't thought of that. As for leaving the Observatory, she done it multiple times in spin-offs, leaving the Lumas parentless.
I think the Lumas can handle themselves alone

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
The outline is pure black because that's my "instruction manual artwork" version, not the sprite version. Those versions have black outlines. It also isn't quite finished yet, I just wanted to do a size comparison now to make sure the proportions looked OK.

Also I'm keeping her at that height because it's about the same difference between Peach and Rosalina normally. I feel it makes sense for her to be the size of SPM Bowser because he's shorter here anyway and he's hunched up too.
The outlines in Mario are still thicker than your Rosalina's.

C3CC

Smash Lord
Why Luma was left out of Mario Tennis Ultra Smash is beyond me...

Oh wait. Many other characters also got that unfair treatment. Forget what I said.

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
In the most fair case , Luma was added before just because Rosalina wasn't

Luma is not priority anymore since they finally added Rosalina. However that doesn't change the fact that Ultra Smash is a weak game.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
A lot of spin-offs have been doing rather poorly when it comes to character representation. Mario Kart 8 ditches Birdo, Diddy, and Bowser Jr., while Mario Party 10 threw out Birdo, Koopa Troopa, Shy Guy, and Magikoopa. And then comes Ultra Smash, which is just a huge disappointment as a whole.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Can they? And what if there's to be a newborn luma waiting to be raised? It's very sad now that I think about that. I really hope Nintendo will start including Luma in more game, it's very sad to see them by themselves.
Have Sakurai watch over them
A lot of spin-offs have been doing rather poorly when it comes to character representation. Mario Kart 8 ditches Birdo, Diddy, and Bowser Jr., while Mario Party 10 threw out Birdo, Koopa Troopa, Shy Guy, and Magikoopa. And then comes Ultra Smash, which is just a huge disappointment as a whole.
Bowser Jr was to busy with Smash

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
But so were Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Rosalina, Yoshi, Wario, Donkey Kong, the Koopalings, Villager and Link...
Besides the Koopalings, everyone else are used to it...and have been treated with only respect(Roy is an exception to this)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Sometimes, you have to say "Roy Koopa", just so that people know that you're referring to the Koopaling, and not the Fire Emblem character.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Sometimes, you have to say "Roy Koopa", just so that people know that you're referring to the Koopaling, and not the Fire Emblem character.
I was talking about Roy Koopa...who's to say Sakurai didn't fuse them together DBZ style?

Killo89

Smash Ace
NNID
Ilok89
3DS FC
2681-1840-2189
Switch FC
SW-7525-9685-3105
Oh my, a patch. No news about Rosalina. I hope she stays as she is and don't receive those ZSS and Sheik nerfs.

C3CC

Smash Lord
I love how all the other top tier characters were nerfed (Sheik and Zero Suit Samus) but they didn't touch Rosalina.

However, I am worried... I think it will be our turn next, guys. Rosalina will get nerfed hard eventually... :(

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I love how all the other top tier characters were nerfed (Sheik and Zero Suit Samus) but they didn't touch Rosalina.

However, I am worried... I think it will be our turn next, guys. Rosalina will get nerfed hard eventually... :(
So far, Rosalina has not received any changes on the newest update. The last update nerfed her weight, which is rather dumb for my tastes.

C3CC

Smash Lord
So far, Rosalina has not received any changes on the newest update. The last update nerfed her weight, which is rather dumb for my tastes.
Yeah, but even then, that nerf was not really remarkable. We only lost a unit of weight. The biggest thing they've done to her is increasing the Luma respawn time, but aside from that, they haven't really done anything significant to her. I'm afraid because I feel that she won't escape next time.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Yeah, but even then, that nerf was not really remarkable. We only lost a unit of weight. The biggest thing they've done to her is increasing the Luma respawn time, but aside from that, they haven't really done anything significant to her. I'm afraid because I feel that she won't escape next time.
In terms of who needs nerfs, Rosalina is not one of them. At least Sheik got what she deserved.

C3CC

Smash Lord
In terms of who needs nerfs, Rosalina is not one of them. At least Sheik got what she deserved.
That can't be discussed. She really deserved that nerf, and so did Zero Suit Samus. I wish Bayonetta and Cloud were nerfed further, but at least what they got is decent, I guess.

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
I think that with almost all Rosa's counter being nerfed we will maybe see her become more dominant. If that happen the nerf hammer is inevitable.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Rosalina won't get nerfed because nobody is doing anything with her in front of Sakurai.

Notice how all of the characters that got nerfed had a strong showing at that official Smash tournament Sakurai showed up at.

Plus she hasn't received any major changes in a year. She's actually received the odd buff.

Also the weight reduction is more good than bad. She can DI out of combos that bit easier, which I would say is more noticeable than potentially losing a stock 1% earlier (you really won't notice the latter).

Rosalina may also be the new undisputed #1 now if more people use her and do well with her. I never thought she had a ridiculous amount of trouble with these MUs, but most of Rosalina's main challenges in the MK, ZSS, and Sheik MUs, got removed. That means Rosalina would have an easy time dominating if people just play her more.

No excuses for losing anymore, guys.

C3CC

Smash Lord
Rosalina won't get nerfed because nobody is doing anything with her in front of Sakurai.

Notice how all of the characters that got nerfed had a strong showing at that official Smash tournament Sakurai showed up at.

Plus she hasn't received any major changes in a year. She's actually received the odd buff.

Also the weight reduction is more good than bad. She can DI out of combos that bit easier, which I would say is more noticeable than potentially losing a stock 1% earlier (you really won't notice the latter).

Rosalina may also be the new undisputed #1 now if more people use her and do well with her. I never thought she had a ridiculous amount of trouble with these MUs, but most of Rosalina's main challenges in the MK, ZSS, and Sheik MUs, got removed. That means Rosalina would have an easy time dominating if people just play her more.

No excuses for losing anymore, guys.
You are correct, but...

I think that with almost all Rosa's counter being nerfed we will maybe see her become more dominant. If that happen the nerf hammer is inevitable.
What Tizio Random said. If with the nerfs Sheik and Zero Suit Samus got Rosalina climbs to the #1 spot in the tier list, nerfs will come her way inevitably =/

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You are forgetting about Cloud, because I have heard statements that he has given Rosalina some trouble as well. Cloud has also been affected by the new update in that Limit Charge takes longer to fully charge Limit Break, and some of his attacks pack less power as well.

That can't be discussed. She really deserved that nerf, and so did Zero Suit Samus. I wish Bayonetta and Cloud were nerfed further, but at least what they got is decent, I guess.
Some people are complaining about Corrin's speed nerfs though. One source says that his run speed is now comparable to that of Olimar.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
You are correct, but...

What Tizio Random said. If with the nerfs Sheik and Zero Suit Samus got Rosalina climbs to the #1 spot in the tier list, nerfs will come her way inevitably =/
That assumes they are even going to patch this game beyond this latest patch. I feel like this will be the last patch, since we know the dev team is disbanding.

And with ZSS and Sheik, it's much easier to tell what makes them good and change that to nerd them.

Rosalina can't really see any truly major nerfs. She's good because of her inherent mechanic, and I don't see them being able to make any drastic changes to her that change her too much. Most of the changes that she HAS received have been random stuff that doesn't mean anything. Meaning they really don't feel they need to do any major changes.

Funbot28

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlwaysDOMINATE
Ya Rosa can definitely contend for #1 spot if the Bayo nerfs actually hurt her a lot in tournaments (specifically the endlag increase on WT).

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Ya Rosa can definitely contend for #1 spot if the Bayo nerfs actually hurt her a lot in tournaments (specifically the endlag increase on WT).
You do have to wonder if Rosalina will appear more frequently in tournaments after this update. It might be a bit doubtful when you consider her learning curve though.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Rosalina was already a #1 contender in terms of what she can do, the problem is that she has a subpar player base that don't want to innovate.

This patch doesn't fix that, but it means Rosalina mains have even less of an excuse to lose even if they remain stagnant.

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
Mmmmh, I dobut that this will be the last patch. If anything, this is a sign that they'll continue to patch this game (and this is a good thing). Rosa could become #1 now but we have yet to see how all these changes will affect the metagame. It's still too early to be sure. At least now we don't have a character like pre-1.1.5 Sheik that had no negative match-ups and was undisputed at the top.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I felt the Rosa VS Sheik MU was always slightly in Rosa's favour. ZeRo also said the same. And since that time, Rosa had seen some slight buffs, and Sheik saw slight nerfs.

Sheik mainly just has a much better player base than ZSS and Rosalina, which has more to do with her top tier placement. ZSS and Rosalina were mostly carried by one player. In the case of Rosalina, Dabuz just wasn't as good a player in general as ZeRo or Nairo, and her meta has developed way too slowly.

Keep in mind that all 3 top tiers were perceived as "characters you can win a tournament as without a pocket main". All three of them were on that same rough level, so to say Rosalina ever had terrible MUs never made sense.

I keep repeating it, but Rosalina has always had the potential to be #1. Her players just are not innovative and don't have as much skill as other competitors, for the most part.

RandysRage

Smash Journeyman
Somewhere between the North and South Poles
As long as Rosie escaped this particular round of nerfs, I'm happy. My new secondary Corrin may have gotten some nerfs as well, but he's still pretty solid (can still rack up damage easily with aerials, and paralysis into tipper Dragon Lunge still kills hilariously early xD)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The lack of representation may also explain why people are saying that Rosalina does poorly against the likes of Sheik, Zero Suit Samus, Meta Knight, Pikachu, and Cloud. The new update probably won't change their minds until Rosalina's representation increases.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Rosalina does not need to be nerfed once more(more than 13 is way to much)

Top Bottom